/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Last Samurai Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/file/n1g3p79pfbn1ccw/Osprey - ELI 023 - The Samurai.pdf
mediafire.com/file/wgfx71nky4rw0bl/Osprey - ELI 082 - Samurai Heraldry.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=Ylyqoxh-cXk
b-ok.org/
mediafire.com/file/puw7evnul1dqy5o/No Better Place To Die.pdf
www95.zippyshare.com/v/ECFYYvHn/file.html
www95.zippyshare.com/v/kT0SiWiF/file.html
www95.zippyshare.com/v/G0MrNPc1/file.html
wargaming.co/professional/details/matrixgames.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warhammer Historical
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest
Modern Spearhead

September the 24th in military history

1645 – Battle of Rowton Heath, Parliamentarian victory over a Royalist army commanded in person by King Charles.
1664 – The Dutch Republic surrenders New Amsterdam to England.
1780 – Benedict Arnold flees to British Army lines when the arrest of British Major John André exposes Arnold's plot to surrender West Point.
1846 – Mexican–American War: General Zachary Taylor captures Monterrey.
1877 – Battle of Shiroyama, decisive victory of the Imperial Japanese Army over the Satsuma Rebellion
1946 – Clark Clifford and George Elsey, military advisers to U.S. President Harry S. Truman, present him with a top-secret report on the Soviet Union that first recommends the containment policy.
1960 – USS Enterprise, the world's first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, is launched.

It is 140 years since the Battle of Shiroyama (城山の戦い Shiroyama no tatakai) was fought near Kagoshima, Japan. It was the final battle of the Satsuma Rebellion, where the heavily outnumbered samurai under Saigō Takamori made their last stand against Imperial Japanese Army troops under the command of Generals Yamagata Aritomo and Kawamura Sumiyoshi. The battle culminated in the annihilation of Saigō's army as well as his death, marking the end of the Satsuma Rebellion.

Following defeat at the Siege of Kumamoto Castle and in other battles in central Kyūshū, the surviving remnants of the samurai forces loyal to Saigō Takamori fled back to Satsuma, seizing the hill of Shiroyama overlooking Kagoshima on 1 September 1877.

Imperial army troops under the command of General Yamagata Aritomo and marines under the command of Admiral Kawamura Sumiyoshi began arriving soon after, and the rebels were surrounded. After combat losses and defections, Saigō had only about 500 samurai remaining of a force of over 20,000 which had besieged the government garrison in the city of Kumamoto only six weeks earlier.

With 30,000 troops, Yamagata, although greatly outnumbering Saigō, bided his time constructing a series of fortifications to encircle Saigō and preempt any chance of a breakout, additionally requisitioning five warships to bombard the rebels and reduce their defenses. He was planning an attack from all sides, and in an effort to prevent another escape, ordered that any position engaged by the enemy was to be fired upon, regardless of friendly casualties. Saigō defended his position with limited musket support and a few pieces of artillery, melting down metal statues to produce bullets and tending to injuries with a carpenter's saw.

After firing a final barrage of artillery lasting the night, Yamagata's men attacked Saigō's position. The samurai, under heavy fire, charged the lines of the imperial army, which had not been trained for close-quarter sword fighting. In just a few minutes, the once organized line turned into disarray. Highly skilled samurai swordsmanship prevailed against an army with very little traditional training. For a short time, Saigō's lines held, but was forced back due to weight of numbers.

Saigō was mortally wounded in the femoral artery and stomach, and was carried by Beppu Shinsuke downhill to find a place to end his life. Serving as kaishakunin, Beppu cut off Saigō's head and hid it to prevent it from being found by the enemy. After Saigō's death, Beppu and the last of the "ex-samurai" drew their swords and plunged downhill toward the Imperial positions and to their deaths. With this, the Satsuma rebellion came to an end.

On 22 February 1889, Emperor Meiji pardoned Saigō posthumously. Statues in Ueno Park, Tokyo and near the ruins of Kagoshima Castle stand in his memory.

This is a really unusual battle in terms of the differing armies and the weird contrast between tradition and modernity. It would make an amazing sight on the wargaming table and definitely call for some skill on the part of the players. The Satsuma rebellion itself has great potential for a campaign game.

mediafire.com/file/n1g3p79pfbn1ccw/Osprey - ELI 023 - The Samurai.pdf
mediafire.com/file/wgfx71nky4rw0bl/Osprey - ELI 082 - Samurai Heraldry.pdf

The current community project is for a Garrison, Milita, or Second-Line-type unit.

So, 90% of my 28mm Soviets can count? Sweet!
:D

youtube.com/watch?v=Ylyqoxh-cXk

I'll be honest, shit like this is incredibly interesting.
A hard clash between old methods of war and new such as this are hard to find historically because most nations gradually changed methods. Japan jumped for swords and archery to gunlines and artillery in the space of a decade.

Japan's historical ability to drastically alter their entire society within an extremely short timeframe is remarkable.

The Meiji Restoration is the most extreme, I think.
In the space of 20 years, Japan went from a backwater to a local power, and radically changed their society.

The initial Portuguese/Dutch contact was pretty influential too, especially in terms of warfare.
Guns for days.

It still took some decades for them to be accepted as a viable option, not until Nobunaga was dead.

They still churned them out in vast numbers before that though.
More as a novelty than as a piece of military kit, I suppose.

Nobles loved being able to show off "Dutch" items to guests, everything from clocks to foreign weapons.

It's not like they fought a real late medieval army vs an industrial one.
Both sides fought with line infantry and everything associated with the era, they simply ended it all on a high note like that more or less solely to go out in style. Worked out for them given the guy even got pardoned for their crimes right after the war ended (which would be a good thing for the families they left behind).

I had thought the Satsuma rebels had largely disavowed firearms as a method of war?

Not at all. I mean, come on, firearms were a staple of sengoku warfare which is the era that shaped the kind of samurai these guys represent.

They didn't do so with strictly western tactics but these guys were fielding some old Enfields as their primary weapon.

I remember reading once that during the last battle the rebels had little guns and ammo left so they went back to more primitive weapons.

Hello folks, hope your Sunday's going well.
I'm trying to find more 28mm German tank crew, specifically DAK. I already have the Perry ones, and a few Warlord ones, but I'm looking for more variation in poses. Anyone know of any?

Do we have scans of any VBCW stuff?

There should be a couple of the sourcebooks in one of the folders (I scanned them).

Check just the 'Wargames' folder I think.

Are there any troves of hex & chit games from the '70's, '80's and '90's from 3W, GDW, GMT, The Gamers, et al?

Scans of Wargamer Vol 1, Command and CounterAttack magazines with games?

So I'm a pleb that plays mostly the FiveCore series (Kursk, 3rd Edition Skirmish, Company, Brigade)
Because my player base are plebs and literal children. The games are affordable to build and paint for and easy to teach.

However the random scenario generator while good for pickup games doesn't really produce historical results. Where can I steal good scenarios to run more historically inclined battles with the system?

Nice trip-trip-dubs.

Read some war memoirs.

A there are a bunch in the company-specific mediafire folders above outta wet your whistle, if you don't mind playing digital Vassal has a fuck ton you just need to snag pdfs of the rulebooks from fansites or the file sections of BoardGameGeeks for the given game.

I've considered seeing if we can get people on here together for a play by email group using it but haven't brought it up yet.

I'd love to play some Next War with people on here.

>tfw I've spent most of the day cutting up plastic Ultima Ratio, Arifix and Esci minis to make Chindits
>tfw they can't get enough riflemen for half a platoon
>tfw every box contains more SMGs than the allowance of a company
>all these converted figs won't get painted for another 3-4 months because I have like seventeen projects going all at once

So, how was your weekend, /hwg/?

I've heard that's exaggerated a little. They were a regular show on the battlefields about ten years after contact, apparently. What Nobunaga proved was that you couldn't be a major power anymore if you went without them.

I got back after two weeks of training only to find that I didn't get paid yet so I can't blow all of my discretionary income on tiny plastic soldiers.

Honestly depending on the scale, the rifles/SMGs might not matter.

1:72, so they matter a lot.

Are there any troves with war memoires?

I'll try and find a site that gets linked on /lit that may help.

b-ok.org/

hail caesar or dbm?

What's the latest bit of terrain you built/made /hwg/?

Literally 12 months ago, some matchstick fencing

Part way through making some forests, on hold because I'm waiting for some flexible but firm latex goop for the armatures.

HC requires shit loads more than DB and is also a looser game intended for casual play over a good number of hours. DB can be played very quick but depending on what scale you use for the minis your army can be very dissatisfying to look at.

That actually looks like something I should try. Thanks for the inspiration, and nice work

Who makes the natives in European coats? I decided I wanted some of them since playing Empire Total War a few weeks ago

Actually on that note, have found it very hard to secure what I used previously so if you have any ideas on a flexible but latexy goop to use on the armatures feel free to suggest something

I think that's Warlord

The Gamers - No Better Place to Die

depositfiles com

/files/hpaw941dk

flexible but firm latexy goop*

I have those. I'm looking for pdf scans to archive and eventually offer a definitive trove of hex & chit games. I may have to live 500 years to get to my goal.

I'm not a big VASSAL fan, but would love to play next war. Look at this warwithoutkia BlogSpot it

One option is the IABSM scenario books (there seem to be dozens). They are great for 5Core Company Command scenarios.
Skirmish Campaigns books for the smaller 5core games.

>tfw no uniform gf

I think you're thinking of DBA, not DBM.

DBM belongs in the trash. HC has issues, but it's actually good.

I actually consider all the DB games to be rubbish, but they have at least been quick to play in my experience. HC is fine but best used for very large casual gaming with half a dozen mates over a full evening or day.

DBA/HotT may be trash, but it's at the top of the bin and hasn't touched anything too nasty so you can pick it out and play it without getting unpleasantness all over the table.

It's just one guy from the warlord box, not a set.

Thanks. It's surprisingly easy.

Last terrain I made was an Afghanistan table for Hind & Seek. Done very quickly in only a few days. Used polystyrene and a hot wire for the mountains, and thick cardboard for some afghan houses. Quick paint and drybrush and the whole table was ready.

DBM was my intro to historical wargaming and I have a fondness for it
But I'm not sentimental enough to forget the rules exploits and win-at-all-costs jerks with their power lists
I would still recommend DBA to beginners (or least 3E and/or the fan revised 2E), it's cheap and a good entry to the hobby, although if you use anything over 15mm the table looks like a battle in a Sharpe episode
At least these days there are many more alternatives, back in the day it was just DBx, WRG, some variant of Chainmail, or homebrewed Warhammer spinoffs.

Thanks user, I nearly missed this! Now that things are torched up the road, any and all shares are greatly appreciated. So here's some h&c goodness for the ACW lads:

No Better Place to Die - The Battle of Murfreesboro, Dec. 30, 1862 to Jan. 2, 1863, is the eighth game in The Gamers Civil War Brigade (CWB) Series from The Gamers. It recreates the vicious struggle between Major General Rosecrans' Union Army of the Cumberland and General Bragg's Army of Tennessee from December 30th, 1862 to January 2nd, 1863 near the town of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

mediafire.com/file/puw7evnul1dqy5o/No Better Place To Die.pdf

Game Scale:
Game Turn: 30 minutes
Hex: 200 yards
Units: Brigades
Solitaire Playability: High
Complexity Level: Medium
Players: 1 or more
Playing Time: 2-30 hours

Damn, that's an annoyance. Thanks though

Damn, that's an annoyance.
Can anyone recommend me any companies that sell similar figures?

What is the best way of getting into battlegroup thinking of getting a german army

So Warlord WWII British Infantry says it's mid-to-late war and not early. Except for weapon choices like STENs and PIATs, are they still actually usable for early war, rather than keep paying for metal BEF?

You can use them but they have different webbing I think, that and the coats are probably the main differences.

And the helmet and the gasmask holster on their chest.

In short: no.

Osprey - NVG 250 - Maginot Line Gun Turrets - And French gun turret development 1880–1940 - Clayton Donnell.mobi
www95.zippyshare.com/v/ECFYYvHn/file.html
Osprey - NVG 250 - Maginot Line Gun Turrets - And French gun turret development 1880–1940 - Clayton Donnell.epup www95.zippyshare.com/v/kT0SiWiF/file.html
Osprey - NVG 250 - Maginot Line Gun Turrets - And French gun turret development 1880–1940 - Clayton Donnell.pdf
www95.zippyshare.com/v/G0MrNPc1/file.html

Does anyone have any experience with the Napoleonic skirmish game Chosen Men? Kind of looks like Warhammer Historicals but at a smaller scale.

Well he can use them but it's not going to be accurate, I doubt they're spontaneously combust when he starts playing early war.

He could use the plastic Freeborn as well, it doesn't make it any better.

Fucking Christ, he asked if they could be used as early war troops and you fuckers go "hurr, it's your game, do what you want to do." We're not on fucking Facebook.

What an autistic overreaction, the difference is some webbing, not using sci-fi miniatures. Most people playing Bolt Action probably won't even notice the difference.

>Most people playing Bolt Action probably won't even notice the difference.
But someone who is asking if they can be used for it is probably at least SLIGHTLY concerned about the differences, else they wouldn't ask.

Most people playing Bolt Action wouldn't notice or care if he was using Imperial Guardsmen

Alright, we all know that /hwg/ is grog town and hates Bolt Action, but I feel this is going overboard.

We've got one user that screeches incessantly anytime Bolt Action is mentioned. Most everybody else either accepts it as a useful gateway game or views it as shrugworthy and not worth comment.

Cant wait for northag lads.

The pro choice as gateway game for the der normie is K47. You get em hooked then start gradually removing the robots. Then you get the fuckin charts out.

We really need a guide on radicalising more normal tabletop gamers.

>Mercedes
Surely these aren't that common for Mujahideen / taliban in Afhganistan. I would expect a Lada or 70s Ford or something

You're a bit out of date, it's all Toyotas in anything remotely recent. Mercedes are not unheard of though.

Hilux hijinks fills me with /btg/ nostalgia.

Given they were a status symbol for the wealthy, I'd expect to see a fair few of them.

My pleasure. I'm a big believer in SHARING. We're not getting any younger. And a shout-out to LotsaStuff who is DA MAN in sharing (okay, one of them, just focusing on volume hex & chit here). I've come across folk who won't share because "they did the work" and places like Gamers-Garage who do their own work (respect) AND steal others' work to sell (no respect). I wish I had the time to get a real hex & chit trove going.

Sorry for the rant. We return you to your regularly scheduled chan thread.

Alea Magazine #15 (in Spanish)

Green Inferno - Vietnam

on flaming media

/download.php?zsz4762zhzyesj5

/btg/?

hiluxes are rad and produced one of the good bits of top gear

We, uh, had a drunken indiscretion and then there were technicals everywhere for like three months. Pretty much the usual. I statted up mine as mech infantry units (which is how you're normally supposed to do softskins..), but there's an infamous BattleTech tactic that involves a shitload of minimum-tonnage blowers with a very, very cheap gun. So people started abusing the vee rules to stat up armed pickups and then swarm with them..

Oh, BattleTech. Yeah, I remember seeing that come up occasionally. Gotta love 'em.

Really? Is K47 taking off anywhere? None of the guys near me are interested in it - they're happy enough with Bolt Action and are old enough to not be interested in Nazi Zombies.

Konflikt 47 made warlord overhaul its production system because demand outstripped anything theyd ever done, so theres that.

It's a labour of love and I'm fully committed to it now
The best thing is that this stuff survives, and is made accessible to new players
I'm very grateful for other generous anons too
It's amazing to see the PDF share thread and other troves around these days; we've come a long fucking way from a few Megaupload links posted every couple of weeks like in the Old Times

Hello my friends.
Not so long ago I knew about Matrix games, and now I'm search for rules of Chaoslavia game.
Could you help me please?
I know that it was printed in one old journal, but I coludn find it in pdf. Mayby you got rules separately.
I born in Jugoslavia and was evacuated as child, so could you help me?

That's good to hear. Hopefully it will lure more into the clutches of hwg.

Do you think this might be the same game collected in this book user?
I found the map floating around too
It's definitely something I want now
wargaming.co/professional/details/matrixgames.htm

I think yes, I found map and chits too, but couldn't find rules

Anyone with any experience with Ronin? I'm working on some models to use with the Boshin War rules, and I'm a little confused. The rules for Imperial troops says to use Bushi list with some listed additions. One of which is that at least half your models must be Soldiers. But the Bushi list says that only 50% of the models can have missile weapons. So how can I ever have, say, a Captain, when I already have to fill the maximum amount of missile weapon models with Soldiers?

If I ignore the limit, then what's to stop something like Shogunate troops fixing their upper limit of 50% Soldiers with the rest being Teppo or Yumi troops? Is the limit only for the models in the Bushi list and soldiers do not count towards it? So if I have 5 soldiers and a captain, and take 4 other models from the Bushi list, 2 of them can have missile weapons and 1 of those can be a Teppo?

>buy Ambush Alley Vietnam
>package arrives, it's Force on Force Ambush Valley
>it's already on my bookshelf

Wait, people like the horrid K47 designs?

This is a revelation to me as well.

Though fuck it, what do I know, everyone near me stopped playing Bolt Action and got sucked back into 40k.

Source?

China - The Middle Kingdom

on flaming media

/view/q9n2wb3924st8x1/DG_-_China_-_The_Middle_Kingdom.pdf

Eh, there's a few guys out my way that play it because Dust is.. well, not dead exactly, but it's been shambling along for a long time on life support. Hellboy revived the dieselpunk Weird War guys and we've still got some hangers-on, plus (God help us) all the kids that were in third grade when it came out are getting up to college/military age now and heading into the LGS's near bases.

..As far as the models go? The Kraut/Commie HI and the robot Tommies aren't too bad, although I have serious problems with the tanks and American HI.

There a bunch of hex & chit games at the Game Shoppe.

Welp the new book from Radio Dishdash is off to the printers.

Hopefully we got most of the typos

And oh hey, here is the cover for it. Unknown on the dates but it's packed full of ORBATs, Scenarios and new rules for all your special forces needs.