>Play as a Paladin but kind of like Judge Dredd in personality that GM ok'd
>18 strength from rolling stats
>Investigating ancient tomb dungeon
>Come across a large wooden door that's locked
>Thick and heavy but a break like an arm-wide hole in it next to the handel
>Put hand through it to look for locking mechanism on the other side
>Something grabs my arm
>Gm asks me what I do
>I say try to pull loose and away with all my strength figuring my stats give me an edge
>Nat 20, gm had said we're using critical rolls
>Without making any rolls himself the GM says that the thing doesn't let go and I pull so hard the door breaks open from inside
>Previously impervious door now falls over me with my arm still stuck through it and a zombie laying on top of both me and the door (we had tried to cut it open before with an axe and made sucesfull rolls but it didn't open)
>GM tells everyone to roll initiative but me and proceeds with combat
>Im permanently pinned the whole fight and don't even get to make any rolls for it
>GM says that every time some one strikes the zombie on top of the door and me I also take damage
>Get put to zero hp, have to be revived and use up all my healing to get restored
>This was our second encounter ever playing DnD

So... Was he a dick or is that a proper "critical sucess"?
Sorry for a messy greentext.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TJDX41N6aSU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

There are no critical successes on skill rolls.

If you're really still hold up over something that's two years old, get help.
If you're just shitposting, get help.

He was a very good GM, and you were too powerful. What he did was understandable, but massively sub-optimal. He should have at least pretended to out-roll you.

>Veeky Forums answer
It's your fault for being a min maxing WHORE
>real answer
yeah the DM was a dick.
>Pulling the door frame is hella funny.
>Getting pinned is hilarious.
>Taking damage, stupid.
This is where it goes down hill
>Dying from said damage, Faggot levels of retarded

>>Two years ago

Thanks.
I just remembered it during a game today with one of the players from that group.
I will proceed to let it go.

I mean, having the door fall on you I can understand, but not getting to roll to try to get the door off you, that's dumb. And then having you take damage, that's even dumber.

what level were you where you had the same HP as a zombie?
What classes were your other party members?

>houserules in critical successes on skill roles, then punishes the player for getting oen
Yeah he was an asshole.

>too powerful
>paladin with 18 strength in DnD
>too powerful
lol

Fine. Too powerful for a bad GM to manage.

Hes a dick.

>Without making any rolls himself the GM says that the thing doesn't let go and I pull so hard the door breaks open from inside
>Previously impervious door now falls over me with my arm still stuck through it and a zombie laying on top of both me and the door (we had tried to cut it open before with an axe and made sucesfull rolls but it didn't open)
He punished you for rolling well, and

>GM says that every time some one strikes the zombie on top of the door and me I also take damage
Is just plain retarded. Was he suggesting the force from striking the zombie caused you to take damage? Unless it was a damn warhammer striking from above the head rather than swinging from the side, you would hardly feel a thing.

Secondly, if youre strong enough to rip the entire door off, chances are you'd be strong enough to push it aside (depending on how you got pinned down). He should have let you at least roll to try this.

Yes, yes he was.

>Excusing shit play because it was a little while ago and you identify strongly with the decisioning this shit DM made

Consider suicide but definitely stop posting.

>>Something grabs my arm
"I'm not a door, man!"

And before you ask, yes I'm a fucking piece of shit.
youtube.com/watch?v=TJDX41N6aSU

>Advising suicide to random strangers.
Consider suicide but definitely stop posting.

>Defending these fucks

Commit suicide.

>Defending that fuck.
Commit suicide.

>be king's top engineer
>Part of his space program
>My team and I have to figure out how to get to the Moon
>I suggest we just keep jumping at it, usually we've found that if you keep trying to do something, you'll usually succeed even if it should be otherwise impossible
>This happens about one in twenty times I think
>Don't worry King, we'll get to the Moon within like a minute or two, give us time
>We're just all hopping around, look like idiots
>Pretty soon Bertram just shoots up into the sky towards the Moon
>Good job Bertram I'm gonna give you a promotion, probably like some silver or something since I can't figure out what money is worth
>Next Mariam goes flying into the sky, good job cosmonaut
>Surely I'll be next
>Realization strikes me, every time you attempt an action you can succeed, but you also fuck up beyond belief at the same rate
>I hop, and go flying miles into the air
>Hit an airship, what are the odds of that probably one in twenty I'd guess
>Airship explodes, raining down debris everywhere
>I immediately died
>They found as many pieces as they could of me for my funeral, king wants a nice service for me as I invented space travel
>One of the pallbearers lifts my coffin and accidentally succeeds too much and flings my remains into space
>Everyone claps

There are no critical successes on skill rolls or ability checks but, even ignoring him allegedly saying that he'd allow "critical rolls", a 24 should easily be able to beat a fucking zombie's grip. Beyond that, damaging you for the zombie getting damaged is just malicious bullshit. Your GM had a hard-on for punishing you.

The horror.

God damn it you got me good
Good kek

>fucking piece of shit.
That's a funny way of typing a gentleman with patrician taste but ok.

gud one

Your GM was an asshole. You are also an asshole. Everyone is asshole.

Goddamn it.
I suffered through THREE YEARS of my niece singing it, you've just triggered my PTSD.