What is the best system to emulate the jobs from Final Fantasy games?

What is the best system to emulate the jobs from Final Fantasy games?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5PLGBkWm88I&t=7s&index=169&list=WL
finalfantasyd20.com/ffd20/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Final Fantasy has several different jobs systems, yo.

>jobs
I dont like when games call them like this.
Being a chef is a job, being a lumberjack or a medic is a job, being a teacher or an architect is a job.

What you are thinking about are classes, such as mages or rangers, warriors or sorcerers.

FF1 was pretty much just OG DnD.

Our group just used 4e while refluffing a lot of the skills with the names of Final Fantasy attacks and skills. Worked out pretty alright. GM even homebrewed a few Paragon Paths for some of the more advanced/unique classes.

>knight upgrades into a samurai
cheeky

I helped do the same for 3.5 way back on TG after throwing together some monster stats.

But that's not exactly the same. That is adapting Final Fantasy Class/jobs to another system. Im assuming that what Op is looking for is a system that fit the Drop in/Drop Out nature of something like FF Tactics or FF 4.

That would actually probably require you to create or adapt a unique system to handle.

There's a few FF fangames out there that try. I have only tried one so I can't really speak for how well it did it.

Here's a review I haven't watched myself though that somebody linked me of some of them. youtube.com/watch?v=5PLGBkWm88I&t=7s&index=169&list=WL

The one with cute bunny girls.

The progression/multi-class bits would be a tad on the difficult side to implement, but Anima: Beyond fantasy could feasibly do it.
Mostly because a good portion of the martial classes' abilities could be Ki Abilities or Techniques(Chakra being Ki Healing, Having a lvl 3 Additional Attacks Tech for Hundred fists), and the plethora of spells that you could pick from to work out the perfect list for Mages from whichever game you wanted.
Shit, Inflict States by itself could be your go-to for Bio, Blind, Silence, etc.
And Paladins/Dark Knights/Red Mages could all be made using the same base class, just different spell lists and weapon modules.

Depends on the job system.

FF12?
That one didn't even had jobs.

Tactics Advanced A2 did.

Depends on whether the tax system makes having a job viable...

IZJS did

Upcoming remake of FF12 carries it over, too.

tax shitposter, whatever did the world do to make you the way you are

Libertarianism: The Whinening

Not recognising a meta reference to the GRRM/ASoIaF threads...

Yeah, I fell off the GRRM bandwagon about halfway through book four. Slogged on through book five, only reluctantly. Haven't kept up. A thousand apologies.

I would go with Through the Breach. Allows your players to switch their classes every session, granting them a different base ability while keeping everything they learned when they leveled up.

>What you are thinking about are classes, such as mages or rangers, warriors or sorcerers.

Not exactly. For a class based system, your PC will always be that class. Maybe a mix of that class and another. For example, a sorcerer will always be a sorcerer. At most, you can become a mix of sorcerer and something else. But always part sorcerer.

However, my limited exposure to Final Fantasy games had characters able to switch jobs between battles. One day you're a knight, the next day you could be a wizard. Not a multiclassed knight/wizard, a full wizard. The next day you switch back. All the way back.

I think that's a significant enough difference to be worth a different name.

I've heard that FF14 does this through gear changes. Change your equipped gear and you change your characters job.

Shadow of the Demon Lord is actually pretty OK for this.

Strike! has the grid based gameplay down, and you create characters by mixing 2 half classes, but the true "variable classes" supplement is WIP.

I rather liked how Final Fantasy Tactics (the first one; I haven't played the subsequent versions) did things. You could change classes between fights, sure, but you could also equip certain class features from jobs you have already accessed. So perhaps you'd return to being a Knight after spending time as a Ninja, and retain the Ninja's two-weapon-fighting feature when doing so, and run around dual-wielding badass Knight-only swords.

While it's a cool system, you need to keep in mind that it's for a 1p game, that you are allowed to break over your knee however you please through copious amounts of optional grinding.

I guess with a table full of game-y folks you could still pull off a similar system, but I feel it'd be clunky and imbalanced as fuck in practice.

It's not a bug if it's a feature.

If you were to implement that concept in a multi-player pen-and-paper game, you'd need to be thoughtful about which features are and are not shared. 5e D&D had a hint of this in its handling of multiclassing, though it's nowhere near as flexible as FTT.

FFTA had jobs

4e probably does it slightly better with its multiclass feats (+ possibly Hybrids), since it lets you poach powers from other classes without having to sacrifice your normal leveling, literally swapping one of your "slotted in" powers for that of another class.

FFT would let you actually get the lion's share of the new class's abilities, though. Neither 4e nor 5e are good analogs to FFT, but you make a good point. Perhaps a minor tweak to the 4e system, with the multi-classing feat letting you switch whole-hog to the new class, but slot in stuff from your old class? Clearly nothing resembling rules-as-written (as I recall; it's been a while), but pretty FFT-ish.

Well, you could retrain to your new class and then use MC feats to keep things from your old class, OR use Hybrids.

Could/should tweak multiclassing/paragon multiclassing rules a bit though, probably using hybrid talent options in some way. It's a part of the system that had a really good idea, but it's prohibitively expensive resource-wise.

>Thinking the reference have anything to do with the books
Stop embarrassing yourself user

>thinking anyone would recognise anything from threads that no-one would ever read

FF5 had something like that too, I believe.

>at least three different anons on this thread know the reference.
>weekly threads about the meme
Stop, just stop

GURPS

You could look at the way the Warhammer Fantasy RP uses the career system.

It has gear and career prerequisites, different abilities and the like by career, etc etc.

The actual careers won't be of much use if you're going FF style, but the basics of the system should be handy

As long as you use a class based system and allow your players to freely swap their classes, you already have the job system. Retaining old skills and abilities is just multiclassing.
The problem is that pnp rpgs aren't really made for this. What do you want your players to do when they swap classes, print a whole new sheet? The job system as presented in the computer games simply does not translate well to paper

Power cards.

I played once where I printed all abilities on cards (from items, powers and passives alike) and let the players swap them around in a binder.

>Final Fantasy

D&D 5e, allow players to swap all their class levels to another class on level up (no multiclassing), and have a list of abilities from each class (Barb rage, druid wildshape, monk martial arts, fighter action surge, paladin smite...) that they can swap out. It would be stupidly imbalanced, of course, but there you go.

>You could look at the way the Warhammer Fantasy RP uses the career system.
It's a pretty good way of learning how to not do career systems.

>Tactics A2
>not the superior Tactics Advance
You fucking plebeian.

>Knight, monk, and dragoon, upgrade to samurai

>a year old crystal pepsi
>a year old
That pepsi was close to 30 years old retard.

The only thing that was superior in the first TA was the story.

TA2 probably has the best, most reasonable mana system in an RPG I've encountered so far.

The only real issue with that is you would probably have to be careful with ASI's, but the lack of a good existing mechanic for bringing other class abilities over would also kind of hurt. You could probably just change feats into things you "unlock" and just freely swap out with a maximum amount currently being used

The Zodiac Age remake does. Implements it pretty well; but it's jarring if you played the original as often as I have

>mana system that either makes you chug mana potions or suffer and be useless
>best
You don't fix caster superiority by making martial superiority.

>not being able to alpha strike willy-nilly means you are useless
>mana potions being actually worth something is bad

implementation wasn't perfect, but unlike "normal" mana systems, that do literally nothing and can be safely ignored 90% of the time (or played around in the remaining 10% with minimal effort), it actually took steps to help pace fights.

Nah, static mana gain is awful and everything magic had absolute ass speed.

>Thinks any one cares about dumb-ass meme threads.

The back-pedaling is shameful user. The Time King is displeased.

You could still Alpha strike perfectly fine. All A2s system did was make non Viera casters useless since they didn't have access to Blood Price.

>Actually LIKING some story about a whiny cunt who can't stand his friends finding happiness in escapism, and so decides to bring them back to their horrible, shitty lives.
Next you'll say Marche wasn't evil.

that'sthejoke.png
Crystal Pepsi is garbage regardless of age.

Uhhh D&D dumb dumb??????

That is exactly why having Blood Price was a mistake.

The mana system itself wasn't.

How common is the "Marche is evil" theory anyway? I thought it was just a meme because of the picture and Marche was right because protagonist = hero something something evil queen.

GURPS

You always know just what to say, Obligatory GURPSfag.

Pretty common. If you actually really read the plot, Marche does come off as correct, but the game does a pretty fucking shitty job of presenting him that way.

For example, one little fact that the game should have been a bit a bit more clear on is that people the kid didn't like ended up as monsters to be slaughtered.

Advance had the better main plot, but I'd say A2 had better sidequests.

That said, janky as it was, I preferred Advanced's judge system. It wasn't THAT hard to keep track of, and gaming it so that most of the enemy team was helpless is always a laugh.

Are there any RPGs that can let me play some of FFs weirder jobs like Dragoon, Blue Mage, or Geomancer? A good classless system maybe?

In an RPG, especially final fantasy. Yes, not being able to alpha strike is fucking useless. Especially when martials can just alpha strike off the bat.

>he doesn't have a cannoneer spamming mana shots while his illusionist buddy takes away a third of the enemy team's health every round
laughinggria.clan

Well, you gotta isolate what makes these classes mechanically unique.

>dragoon
>has Jump
>uses a spear (reach)
>sometimes has lancet to drain HP or can breath fire

>geomancer
I actually don't remember at all what they do...

>blue mage
>gains monster spells, either by draining, or being hit by them
>monster spells do quirky things

Seems about right?

If alpha striking is the dominant strategy of your SRPG to the point where classes that can't alpha strike aren't worth it, your game failed. Alpha striking is a degenerate strategy that sidesteps interaction of abilities between yours and your opponent's units and so is extremely undesirable (same is true for any sort of stun-locking or perfect-defense based strategies; anything that removes interaction removes depth from the actual tactical part of the game).

The problem with Marche isn't how things turn out, it's the decisions he makes with the information available to him

As far as he knows, destroying the crystals totally destroys the world and brings back the old one, this is not the case and the world continues regardless, but as it stands his actions come across as extremely selfish, valuing what's good for him and his personal friends over what's good for everyone else in the world.

Two wrongs do not make a right, just because the old world was destroyed to make the new one does not make destroying the new world the right thing to do

>valuing what's good for him and his personal friends over what's good for everyone else in the world
Is it good for everyone else in the world, though? Sure, Mewt's dad was a sadsack before, but now he's got no memories of his old life and his current life is not of his own choosing. He's essentially been brainwashed.

Cool as Ivalice is, I know I'd be creeped out if people I knew showed up with entirely new memories and personalities. That's some Twilight Zone shit.

"Not being annihilated" is good for everyone else in the world

But yeah, Mewts dad is an odd case, I was sort of lumping him in with "Marche's friends" even though he isn't really one of them

Warhammer Fantasy

The best job system is FF5.

The best job system is communism

you forgetting that the bullies from the beginning of the game were turned into monsters

Mewt is the person who had it good, everyone else was just lucky

Job systems are silly, though. Why would you suddenly forget how to use magic or fight with a sword, then suddenly remember again?

Why does that matter?

It's 3 people who were screwed by the new world, whoop de doo, what about literally everybody else?

What about all the rest of the monsters?

Depends on the system. 14 justifies the job system by way of it's magic system.

The long of the short of it is that every human being has aether they can channel. The various jobs reflect different philosophies and methods of controlling your aether, producing different effects. However, these methods are incredibly complicated, so much so that in order to assist with it, people use soul crystals(gems that can hold the memories and techniques of the job and it's users) in order to assist with it.

This means, however, that between the conflicting methods of controlling aether and the complexity of doing it without a soul crystal that you can only really do it a single way at a time. However, with practice, you can often borrow techniques between cooperative jobs.

Why is this image not saved as y'wotmate.jpg?

Living breathing creatures for the most part, destroying the world is bad for them too

Ok, that explains the magic use. But what about swordfighting? You might not be able to boost it with aether, but you don't forget the fighting styles themselves just because you swap crystals.

Actually, the swordsfighting and junk is just as much magic as everything else.

Take two jobs, Monk and Warrior.

Both of them start with the same fundamental concept of controlling aether: channeling your own personal aether in order to enhance your personal prowess.

However, their approach beyond that is massively divergent. The Monk style stresses self control, channeling small amounts of aether in very precise ways in a constant pattern, which allows them to strike quickly and constantly, pressing their opponents with a constant offense that never lands a single powerful blow, but a multitude of weaker ones to wear the opponent down.

Warriors, on the other hand, use the capability to let their aether run absolutely wild, focusing on big, massive blows with what appears to be little regard for defense. However, the style actually uses their aether quite defensively, hardening their skin and body against blows to allow them to fight with such abandon. They channel their aether so wildly, in fact, that it can be physically seen around them, flowing off like heat waves. The very major downside to this technique is that letting your aether run loose has the very real chance of having you lose control over it, which can turn you into a mindless berserker unable to tell friend from foe.

Each of the other jobs all have their own personal way of controlling their aether, and they very rarely cooperate. And they use that aether for just about every thing they do. Sword strikes and shield blocks are just as much aether "memory" as they are muscle memory.

And you have to remember within the context of the setting, aether gets used for damn near everything. To the people, using this magic is as natural as breathing, and they use it for everything. Cooking, smithing, fishing, logging, damn near everything they do involves aether use in one way or another.

I fucking love settings like that.

Especially when it leads to wacky hijinks when the baker starts combining his bakery magic with artificier-ship or something and unleashes a horde of bread golems.

I love how much work FF14 puts into its lore. Really helps the "living, breathing world" feel of the MMO.

>To the people, using this magic is as natural as breathing, and they use it for everything.
And then you have the Garleans, who can't do magic at all. They're basically an entire race of cripples.

And they decided "fuck that shit we're gonna tech our way up to being the most powerful empire on the face of the planet".

>No onion knight
>No dark knight
Your list is shit friendo.

>FF1 was pretty much just OG DnD.
--down to the point where, if you look at a list of the FF1 monster stats and abilities, they're almost entirely one-to-one mirrors of the creatures from the original monster manual.

Well, FFd20.
finalfantasyd20.com/ffd20/

>Based on Pathfinder

It's actually surprisingly good. It scales back a lot of the bigger excesses PF normally has, giving martials more interesting things to do each round while reining in casters to focus more on the games' thematic elements. I've actually been statting a lot of humanoid enemies in my current game for stuff from there, and it's been turning out phenomenally. Really, the only downsides are the materia system being a pain in the ass; which is fixed by just not using materia XP; and the author's various stupid attempts to insert crossover archetypes into classes

I can do you one better. In the original release of the game (and the version on the PS3 and PS Vita stores I think) they didn't have MP, they used spells per day.

The best job system is bravely default

The only truly great job system in FF was X-2

>onion knight
classified as a hidden and very rare trinity fusion class, consisting of a Knight, Hero, and Serf build, with access to Swordmaster and Druid allowances, with attempted scale meant to mimic a slow climb to horrific power. The Hero class is even marked as forbidden from dualclassing, so it being a part of this signifies its weird glitch-like potency and abuse.

> dark knight
A very simple dualclass of the Knight and Lord, focused to be sort of like Cecil + all the best of further Dark Knight concepts. A best of among the massive heap of other Knight dualclasses.