What are dragons like in your setting Veeky Forums?

What are dragons like in your setting Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

e621.net/pool/show/10323
pastebin.com/Vym0DjzP
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Extinct.

Inbred nobility who occasionally reave neighboring countrysides for money.

They have two wings and two legs, like they should.

>TFW mortals wont stop calling your kin wyverns

Adult and ancients mostly. Chromatic act like raiders, metallic usually isolate themselves but remain friendly to travlers who stumble into their domain.

Kittens. The PCs are all dust bunnies.
Actually I just made all of that up. I'm lonely.

God fragments

Fossils

They don't exist

then they aren't dragons, cuck

I never understood this shit.

We tamed one by immobilizing it and jerking it off

why does that tame it though?

It stopped wanting to kill us after we made it feel good

It kind of thinks we're letting it keep the tiefling when we're done turning our city's people back into people but I'm not the player who has to worry about that

Dragons are an ultimate abomination, material expression of the sin of greed.

It is rumored that all dragons were once humans, great kings and merchants who go overtaken by their avarice.

There are not a lot of dragons, especially ones significantly bigger than a horse. Those that do exist are a great threat, bound only by their greed-adled brains. They become so greedy that they don't want to expend any resource so it leads to a pretty isolated existence once the hoard is big enough.

Young dragons will usually be seen either making trouble or mingling within larger human cities, giving rise to a group by the name of rider knights. The riders are actually "squires" to their knights, providing aide/fire support in the air. Rider knights usually are employed as mercenaries or special forces to empires.

Holy shit. it's been four years since that movie came out. It feels like just yesterday that we were complaining about Smaug.

It's legends versus, realisim

According to myth lore stuff if a dragon only has two legs and two wings then they are a wyvern. If they have no wings and two legs then it's a lindworm. If it has no legs it's a serpent or wyrm or wurm or worm. If it's got four legs but no wings it's a drake. If it has four legs and two wings it's a dragon.

The other side of the argument is that in reality no vertebrate has six limbs. Which is a weak excuse and stupid since it's a fantastical creature who cares how realistic it is it doesn't exist.

is that how you think animals are domesticated?

The DM was dedicated, the two players whose characters were doing most of the work had to massage a dragon dildo with a cumtube, it was more fun than it sounds

It wasn't my idea, mate, I wanted to poison it

No dragons, just dinosaurs. Some dinosaurs breathe fire.

>What are dragons like in your setting Veeky Forums?

About 80-85% of them are apex-predator style animals that although possess no sapience, do admittingly have a high-level of animal intelligence (consider something like a crow or a velociraptor, they can do basic problem solving and count is my point). They also come in a variety of colour-coded species across the world:
-Little Brown Dragons, the smallest (comparatively) and most common species of Dragon: they live everywhere, are brown-to-green, and breath fire. Your standard garden-variety Dragon.
-Red Dragons, they breath the hottest fire, can swim in lava and (thankfully) will only live in areas with volcanic activity.
-Green Dragons, their lack of a fire-gland has deprived them of flight and devolved their wings to little chicken wings: they live in woods, swamps, dense jungles, etc.. they breath a toxic gas, are venomous, and have long snaking necks.
-Black Dragons: I have no fucking idea what to do with Black Dragons. Please send help.
-Blue Dragons, have a coat of fur much like a polar bears that keeps them warm while swimming or flying: they'll live in any ocean, but prefer temperate or arctic environments, they breath boiling water AND ice.
-White Dragons, subterranean Dragons who've devolved their colour and wings into little flipper nubbies: their bodies are veiny, kind of baggy like a foreskin, but are powerful and muscular- they don't possess a breath weapon though.
All of them lay hundreds of eggs which most survive and all of them have a 15-20% chance of gaining sapience at age 100.

There's also the special Chromatic Dragon:
-"Chromatic" Dragons, five headed Dragons that each possess one head (Brown, Red, Green, Black, Blue) from each Dragon type: they can breath ANY breath weapon from their respective head, there's a small % that any Dragon can lay a Chromatic Egg, and Chromatics will always be intelligent.

Sexy

every time

Dragons in my setting are spoiled nobles who lord over "lesser beings". They're either overly Mercurial or utilitarian in view. people who live under a dragon lord are usually serfs that have a very low life expectancy.

Bottom-heavy.

>that pastebin
Muh dick

Actually, the big lizard dragons went extinct thousands of years ago, now being a "dragon" is just a title for "big scary person" or "demon from the rift in the nightsky" depending on who's giving it. Generally it just means bad news are afoot.
That said, there ARE some leftover dragons from before the mass extinction event involving a comet called in by a time-traveling sorceror space-blob to wipe out the only creatures that could oppose its utopia... except it's just a causality loop, because wiping out 99% of dragons means that the 1% that survived became stronger through hardship. Which then opposes the utopia by breeding humans into the ubermench that then cause the space-blob to travel back in time to blow up the dragons with a comet.
Also, Jesus is a dragon, but he's disguised.

A nuisance.
Fortunately, the ancient Codex Darwinius has been proven correct, and they are now becoming more intelligent and cooperating with our settlers, rather than attacking all the aerial transports.
Seeing the dumber, more aggressive, members of your species getting turned into mulch by a few AA batteries can have that effect...

Six-limbed, warm-blooded pseudo-reptiles that come in all shapes and sizes. The huge ones are all just (aggressive, sometimes fire-breathing) animals, but some of the smaller ones are sapient, including one broadly human-shaped kind.

Intelligent, highly magical, creatures. They gather their hoard to show off how powerful they are.

At first they hoarded gold. Then other races figured out how to kill them and loot their hoards. The Golden Empire grew, using stolen gold to fund an army to:
- Kill more powerful dragons for larger hoards.
- Conquer neighboring nations.

The height of the Golden Empire was the point when dragons realized that it could drive them extinct but it wasn't doing so. That the only reason they still existed as a species was because the Golden Empire was choosing not to plunder hoards that it could.

Dragons could not win that fight directly. So they destroyed the Golden Empire the one way they could: They sold/gave away their hoards. The value of gold crashed overnight. Hyper-inflation left the Golden Empire with a military that could not feed itself on what it was being paid. So the army revolted and the Golden Empire collapsed.

Now dragons still collect hoards. Not of gold, but of other things. Things to show off to other dragons. For example, a hoard of pastries might not seem that impressive. Until you realize that each pastry is fresh, at the perfect temperature, and has kept that way for decades or centuries by the dragons magic.

They are the mutated descendants of a previously existing wyvernlike species that still inhabit some of the more isolated parts of the globe. They were born of magical waste, and thus have the strongest affinity for "natural" magic in the setting.
Most of them have little concept of the big picture, and are entirely wrapped up in their own dramas. The few that do have an idea of what is generally going on only do so out of their own interest.
Dragons are also one of the main reasons the world hasn't been overrun with hostile extraplanar forces, because Dragons will absolutely fuck up anything they think is trying to take their world from them.
There are no "good" dragons. There are dragons that will and won't eat you and steal your shit on a whim, but none of them are really capable of morality in that sense. All dragons are, in their own eyes, justified in everything they do.
Every so often, a dragon gets brought up by another race, and some of that social construction of reality rubs off on it, and you can get dragons that at least act rationally, but this is never very deep seated.

There are also aberrant dragons, which occur when a Dragon spends too long in magical waste, absorbs too much energy, and makes like Godzilla in the Destroyah movie.

Giant intelligent housecats

Misunderstood artists that like to trade in culture and collect finery. Also, the require a counties worth of square millage to stay healthy, so fuck off their land or be considered "game." For it.

it was always too late comrade

Interlopers

Dragons were the 6th creatures in creation and the first born in the material plain. The 1st to 5th were Titans, Primordials, Deva, Fiends and Celestials respectively.

They worship some gods in the loosest sense of the word but for the most part abhor those born before them except for the titans, as interlopers on their plane of existence.

A cosmic joke of the Deva is that it's comically difficult for them to breed true, often resulting in the widespread lesser draconic creatures unless the correct steps are taken, steps that include a Deva's blessing.

>-Black Dragons: I have no fucking idea what to do with Black Dragons. Please send help.

I wasn't being cute when I said this, I really have no idea what to do with Black Dragons and would actually appreciate some help, ideas, maybe links to any ye olde folk tales with Black Dragons.

Just spitballing ideas:

Maybe they could be Space Dragons, they nest on the highest mountains and spend most of their time cruising in low orbit. Maybe they have some kind of organ that produces electromagnetic fields that allow them to reach those heights and coast on natural magnetic currents or solar winds.

Or maybe they're the undead variety and their black color is from necrosis. D&D Black Dragons are usually described as skull-faced, maybe they were created to be weapons by organized necromancers or cultists. Or maybe dragons have such powerful life force or resilient biology that even after death the body can persist in movement, like a cockroach will keep moving without its head. They would be pretty much mindless zombies, desiring only living flesh in a vain attempt to restore themselves.

Of maybe they're some kind of living golems created by alchemists, their black color actually being dark metallic alloys, iron, steel and such. They can't fly or breath fire but can tank damage like nothing else and are basically siege engines built for intimidation purposes.

5 second word vomit kgo.

Adapting the D&D lore isn't a bad idea.

They are swamp dragons, maybe they eat a special plant or something that mutates their breath weapons to a flammable gas rather than a straight flame. So their breath has more explosive force but is less flamethrower-y.

The plant is toxic and is why they have that skeletal appearance.

>Adapting the D&D lore isn't a bad idea.

I already have Green Dragons as the obligatory vegetation/swamp-ass kind of Dragon with their serpentine necks, poisonous gas breath and venomous bite, so if I had Black Dragons as another swamp-ass Dragon it'd be stepping on their toes a bit.. while at the same time (I think at least) doing them worse.

>Maybe they could be Space Dragons, they nest on the highest mountains and spend most of their time cruising in low orbit.

I really like the Space Dragon Idea- I might just end up using that, with Black Dragons not being literally/entirely "black", but instead a kind of dark blue or dark purple kind of colour and maybe some kind of electrical or plasma-like breath weapon.

It also reminds me of the Nether Dragons from Wow: who basically adapted to their floating rock in space habitat.

An extinct race of demi-gods so proud and sure of their power they didn't realize how their actions were leading to their own downfall.

Only a few things remain of their once mighty empire.

And most of it was remodeled and taken over by high elves who then claimed it was always theirs.

Only one survives now, influencing things from within the prison he was ironically thrown into when he tried to suggest to other dragons "maybe we shouldn't be slavemongering assholes?"

>I really like the Space Dragon Idea- I might just end up using that
happy to help

does anyone have the picture of the mini dragon carding the coin purse?

One of the two oldest especies in the world, along with storm giants. Both were created by the primordial gods (Father and Mother) as a sort of surrogate children after their son, the God of Chaos, manage to turn Its lesser brethren (the titans) against their parents.
Eventually the primordial gods were slain by their son, and giants and dragons started a fratricidal war that ended with the world devastated and both species at the brink of extinction. Surviving dragons retired to deep caverns below the surface to bid their time, and only started to reappear some 2000 years ago (and more than 10k years after the war with the giants).

They're enormous, four legged, winged reptilian creatures, with a wide range of coloration (a sort of camouflage system, since it seems their scale color resembles that of their current territory). Most dragons breath fire, but some posses other breath weapons (be it because a strange mutation or because they develop them as they age). They're also greatly intelligent, with adult dragons surpassing even those mortal individuals considered geniuses. Dragons are incapable of speech without magical assistance, and their own language (Draconic) is a mix of hisses, grunting and roaring, complemented with body language using tail and wings.

They're fierce, territorial and absolutely voracious, though not necessarily evil, albeit they don't give a damn about anything else than themselves. They accumulate riches both because of greed and also to further their own agendas, since they know gold can buy the compliance from mortals and make them into agents of the dragons. They value magical items, spells books and other arcane stuff above everything else because of the power that comes with them.
Dragons are currently really scarce in the setting, with only 3 ancient wyrms left alive (one of them a lesser god, now), a a bunch of wyrms and some few hundred adults.

And they can re-route their digestive system to use the flame as a speed boost!

>According to myth lore stuff if a dragon only has two legs and two wings then they are a wyvern
>every culture that ever existed has a unified lore for dragons
Interpretation differs in different places and time period.
Long snakes, 6-limbed, 4-limbed, fish, rats, goats etc. had in one point been called a dragon.

>Volcano dwellers
>Spine chuckers
>Night hunters
>teenage dragons going through a pace
The possibilities are endless.

>According to myth lore stuff

In fact, all that is according to heraldry. In mythology, a lot of fucking things have been called "dragons" once translated to latin languages, as pointed.

>like crows

At the risk of going off topic, crows are most likely sapient. They make tools, have language and observable dialect, can plan for the future, can identify specific humans and convey that information accurately enough to other crows that they can know that human is a friend or an enemy without having met it.

We all need to die for them to achieve their evolutionary potential.

I mean, you're taking dragons being different colours for different species using the green for stand in blacks, why bother having black dragons then?

>Dragon is hit by a ballista
>Dragon crash lands into the ground
>It literally explodes into a thousand pieces since they are flying high due their size/mass (as big or bigger than an elephant), speed.

Is play that.

Their bones easily break with any trauma once you nullified their inherent magic.

Gods who craft their bodies into reality. That's why dragons are so diverse in shape. They see the future and are very intelligent. Truly not something to fuck with. They can be good and evil. Sometimes their soul leaves somewhere else and the dragon's body becomes a rampaging beast. They also don't give much of a fuck about lesser beings.

You can't just mention a pastebin and not provide.

Forgot to mention too exceptions to the color camouflage thing:

- Red dragons: they're the children of Tradzingraborr, the red dragon god, and his harem of different dragon concubines. They're all red, with slightly different details from one brood to another (some have golden stripes, others have greenish patterns, etc.)

- Brown dragons: not real dragons, in fact, but a race of giant lizard transformed by the reptilian god Zondar, who wanted his own type of dragons to keep both giants and real dragons in check. They're slower and bulkier than actual dragons, and not as intelligent, but they're strong and good in nature, fiercely protecting the mortal races (specially their creator's followers) against any threat that may befall them while in their territory.
They kinda look like the dromoka dragon brood from Tarkir.

Crows do arrange murders.

That's a pretty cool take on it.

Giant immortal beasts that just want to spend eternity drinking from leylines and farting out magical radiation that mutates all around them into little dragons.

The great majority of pure dragons on my setting are extinct. What the majority of common folk and even learned scholars call dragons are actually just wyverns. There's only two that I've created so far:

The Great Red Dragon: This dragon is the defacto ruler of the most powerful kingdom. He is both the progenitor of the royal bloodline and the patron god of the state religion. He has a cadre of mortal alchemists that serve him in using his draconic blood to create weapons and warbeasts. His most powerful paladins are ascended to red Dragonborns and serve as the Royal Family's bodyguard. The kingdom also has a Order of Dragon Riders (actually wyverns) in it's military.

The Pale Dragon: The father of sorcery in this world. Powerful and ambitious, think Seath the Scaleless or Malygos. He taught the first races how to use magic, maybe was even the creator of the gnomish race. Currently lives in a massive underground magical research facility in the gnomish kingdom. Doesn't care about the world outside, only about his research. May have gone mad.

Pretty sure if you nullify their natural magic they just collapse into a steaming pile of broken flesh, due to the square cube law.

It would be extremely painful.

Small and mostly not a threat, they grow slowly and are pretty easy to kill before their scales harden which happens after 500 years or so.

There is one sleeping dragon which is around 8000 years old. If it wakes up, it may be the end of civilisation.

>Pretty sure if you nullify their natural magic they just collapse into a steaming pile of broken flesh, due to the square cube law.

Dinosaurs, though.... And to a lesser extent Ice Age Animals because they were getting quite large too before we came around and ate them all while they were trying to adapt to climate change.

>what would happen if I took off the magic

>thinking humans ate dinosaurs
>thinking humans lived alongside dinosaurs

Incredibly powerful, the older ones to the point of being completely, unthinkably, impossible for PCs to defeat.
Literally makes your level 20 wizard look like a powerless kitten.

>The great majority of pure dragons on my setting are extinct. What the majority of common folk and even learned scholars call dragons are actually just wyverns

Heh, similar to my own setting; wyverns are a draconic subspecies native to some parts of the world. What common folk call "dragons" are in fact drakes (2 wings, 2 legs, no fire breath). There's a civilization whose culture revolves around their ancestral struggle for survival against the drake colonies that infest their home archipelago.

My dragon god is kinda similar to yours; he lives in his own castle/lair (a re-purposed, ancient temple, formerly the seat of power of a long dead fire goddess), with his oldest dragon children acting as provincial governors, who in turn exercise their power over the realm (a not!IRenaissanceItaly, evil aligned nation) through the Dragon Church and the Bank of the Grand Dragon (these two organizations work together. I drew inspiration from the Orzhov Guild of Ravnica, without all the necromancy part).

The other two ancient wyrms are a black dragon living right under the main dwarven kingdom, trying to build his own subterranean empire, and a golden dragon living in secret under the world's main magic school. The school's headmaster/archmage is pals with the dragon, and they're working together to unlock the secrets of an ancient titanic portal.

There aren't enough storm based dragons out there.

The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

He's clearly talking about ica age animals there

A fucking calamity of town destroying proportions.

As adults.

The kids are like any roaming four legged monster. Just more cunning.

I came up with that idea after running into a set of pictures of dragons with unusual hoards* and wanted to include them in my setting. I like the idea of the hoard reflecting the dragons personality, along with being a warning about what the PCs will face if they attack it. Some warnings being more subtle than others.

Dragons causing the collapse of a major empire by selling their hoards of gold is just an idea that amuses me.

*e621.net/pool/show/10323
The pictures in that collection are all safe for work. However other images on that site, including ads, are not. It's a furry porn site. You have been warned.

A class of chordates branching off from reptiles marked by having six legs (merged to wings in flying dragons), greater body heating mechanisms, capability to reject most harmful chemicals, ability to spit or vomit acidic bile, and the sparse usage of tools and symbols in some varieties. They usually have very dull brown, tan, or bluish colors to blend in with their habitats, the exception being some of the smallest dragons which are aposematic or mimic the food of their prey.

Of the hundreds of dragon species, less than a dozen can fly, and only a few dozen are large and dangerous enough to be labelled monsters instead of beasts. Flying dragons are massive apex predators (although smaller than some ground dragons) among the most dangerous of all creatures to face. They hold enough vomit to incapacitate multiple humans, however they can "easily" be killed through puncture wounds and tend to be playful and deceptive in combat. The dominant species of flying dragons lives in roosts of 5 to 20 dragons and exhibit illegible spoken language (produced by varying overtones), painting and other decoration, and a sense of clan and history leading to blood feuds that span across generations. They occasionally cooperate with humans in trade or as messengers, however they are unreliable at following orders. They are generally deceitful and short-sighted creatures.

a more typical dragon

Fuck you and your Wyvern shit

Whoa this post woke me up. That was really weird. I was reading in the library and kept closing my eyes nearly falling asleep and started browsing Veeky Forums still involuntarily closing my eyes until I saw this post which sent a shockwave from my brain down my face and caused me to stop being sleepy and suddenly have rapid heart beating

Kek

Sexy

> poster refers to ice age creatures and other megafauna.
What was the Clovis extinction?
What happened to the climactically adapted Australian megafauna when the ancestral Aborigines arrived?

They're kawaii jewish lolis

They are magical Dinosaurs

enjoy your ban

make me

The physical manifestation of natural disasters. Wildfire, typhoon, earthquake, thinks like that given flesh. When they appear the can live anywhere from a few hours to a few years, and they usually end up either being worshipped or wiping out a chunk of civilization.

Mechanically, I'm pulling the idea of 4e's catastrophic dragons and their auras that expand and become more dangerous as turns progress and tying it to 13th Age's escalation die, because I think that works beautifully.

Sleeping, providing the citizens of the land with magical energy.

Sequentially hermaphroditic mammals that in addition to their usual wealth hoarding tendencies also find other things to focus their attention on to a nearly-autistic degree. They also love music and sweets.

Dragons have six limbs.

I would like a pet Europasaurus.

Why didn't you just use e926?

I'm glad people still like my writefaggery
Wish I had inspiration to write more

Also have a pastebin link if that's your thing
pastebin.com/Vym0DjzP