/STG/ - Star Trek General

"dedlol" Edition

Previous Thread: A thread for discussing the Star Trek franchise and its various tabletop iterations.

Possible topics include Star Trek Adventures - the new rpg being produced by Modiphius - and WizKids’ Star Trek: Attack Wing miniatures game, as well as the previous rpgs produced by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe, and Star Trek in general.

Game Resources

Star Trek Adventures, Modiphius’ 2d20 RPG
-Official Modiphius Page/Living Campaign rescources
>modiphius.com/star-trek.html
Playtest Materials (via Biff Tannen)
>mediafire.com/folder/36m6c22co6y5m/Modiphius Star Trek Adventures
Reverse Engineered Character Creation.
>docs.google.com/document/d/1g2ofDX0-7tgHojjk7sKcp7uVFSK3M52eVP45gKNJhgY/edit?usp=sharing

Older Licensed RPGs (FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher)
>pastebin.com/ndCz650p

Other (Unlicensed) RPGS (Far Trek + Lasers and Feelings)
>pastebin.com/uzW5tPwS

WizKids’ Star Trek: Attack Wing Miniatures Game
-Official WizKids Page (Rules and Player Resources)
>wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/

GF9games Star Trek: Ascendancy Board Game
-Official Page
>startrek.gf9games.com/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Memory Beta - Noncanon wiki for licensed Star Trek works
>memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fan Sites - Analysis of episodes, information on ships, technobabble and more
>pastebin.com/mxLWAPXF

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>startrekmap.com/index.html

/stg/ Homebrew Content
>pastebin.com/H1FL1UyP

Other urls found in this thread:

memory-gamma.wikia.com/wiki/USS_Invincible
youtube.com/watch?v=s77l5ti2ATk&feature=youtu.be
twitter.com/AnonBabble

This is the only possible reaction to the new series.

It's certainly my reaction to the people that keep going on about it.

>meme camera angles
>pew-pew
>bad writing
>bad acting
>no shields
>long distance mind melds
>EXPLOSIONS
>transporting the captain and the commanding officer to an enemy vessel alone
>white Klingon

>michelle yeoh
How does she look almost exactly the same as she did 17 years ago?

Unlike Western whores who literally melt from their accumulated degeneracy, Asians tend to rock the same look until menopause smacks them in the face.

So how is Michelle's character? I know her to be a good actor from the stuff I've watched of her.

She's the best character in the show. Then she committed a war crime and died. It's all downhill from here.

This movie style bullshit and the lack of lobster-headed metalheads is really disappointing. Not a big fan of egyption nosferatu Klingons.

Boring, honestly. It was half
>Oh you gotta wait for the surprise I'm gonna show you
>We're scientists, diplomats, and explorers. We don't fight.

Well, she fucking dies in the second episode, so there isn't much to say. Sorry user.

>Boring, honestly

You could've known that the moment you see that hideous art project intro for the show.

Evil chi magic.

She's stolen the life force of countless NEETs to stay young.

On a non-STD related note...
Several threads ago I asked you all about how not to turn into That GM by inserting a character into my STA game that originally hailed from a D&D campaign. I sat down and came up with a somewhat reasonable species profile, then gave the Captain a choice between several candidates. He decided to give her a try! When it came time to introduce her in the narrative it went over well with the rest of the players. Unless I totally misread the situation, I think she'll make a fine addition to the crew. Especially since now I can channel my paladin tendencies of going deus vult, acting with honor, and holding a higher moral code than your average Klingon.

I guess I'm trying to say - thanks /stg/! If anyone cares, I can dump her service record and what not for use in other STA games. Though I fear what I have might not be much better than Klingons weaponizing lens flare.

>>muh waifu actually didn't get player hate.

I don't believe you. I've been the player when the DM inserts his waifu, and it was immediately obvious and annoying as fuck even though he tried to be subtle with it.

Didn't read, saved, post moar.

The key thing is I didn't spend an inordinate amount of time focusing on her physical appearance or mannerisms. She got the same two to three line description that all the other supporting characters did. This might seem a foreign concept on Veeky Forums - but by treating her like another NPC and not a special waifu-type-thing it seemed to work out fine. Course, if that comes crashing down after a few sessions, then you'll be the first to know so you can say "I told you so."

Also as a minor note - she's not really my waifu so much as she's a character I took from 1 to 30 back in D&D 4th ed days. Playing a character for that long makes it simple to reuse them for NPCs since most of the hard work (i.e. mannerisms, how they act, etc.) is already done. I think I spent more time on the Bolian shuttlebay technician to be honest.

Well there is this other WIP GreenMarine was doing for me.

It looks like that shitty dragon race from Final Fantasy 14.

Honestly I'd prefer that kind of character more as an actual player character. A GMPC in a Sonic game should just be Troi or Guinan, offering vague advice to push the players in the right direction when they don't know what to do.

>he pays people money to make them draw his shitty OC waifu
OC races should be banned from play entirely. There are plenty of races for you to tug your dick to without resorting to inserting your dragongirl fetish into other people's playspaces

Well if you want user, we could continue to rage about how shitty STD is instead. I'll take dragongirl OC over rehashed /tv/ discussion any day.

I know it makes me a faggot, but monstergirls make everything better.

Time for autism (when is it ever not?):

Gorn > Dragongrils.

If you want an original lizard person, go the whole damn way and have a full on lizard person of some kind, even if they're still humanoid.

Don't just throw a cosplay outfit on a normal human woman. It's an RPG; the visuals budget is unlimited.

stop pretending this is Veeky Forums material

There's an just-released RPG and everything, dude.

But at what point do we go too far in that direction? Gorn definitely aren't Starfleet material, so you'd have to make a new species anyways. If you don't give them enough lizard characteristics, they're considered cosplay-tier (like almost 90% of the alien species we see in the shows). But if you go the other direction and make them too lizard-like, then they're considered Lusty Argonian Maid tier. Now granted, some people (myself included) prefer old Caitians (as an example) to the shitty JJ ones. But to say there's no room for a cosplay-like species would be like saying human coffee has no place in a galaxy that has Raktajino

>Gorn definitely aren't Starfleet material

Says who?

Also I'm saying they're lazy and uninteresting and shouldn't be used when there's so many better ways of doing it.

And by cosplay I mean the damn girl looks like a normal human stuck with a pair of long gloves, stocking and a fancy pair of earmuffs like so many lazy fantasy designs aimed at appealing to the groin more than the brain. Dragonborn in D&D were a more interesting lizard people than and they still managed to stick tits on them.

I don't care what people say, I'm always glad to see a Lwaxana episode.
Except the Alexander one, but that's because Alexander.

What about "Fistful of Datas"?

>Says who?
Depends on what you consider to be canon or not. One book says they join the Dominion, while another says they join the Federation's side against them. In yet another book the Gorn supposedly have an embassy in Berlin. And don't the Klingons take them over in STO?

My point being that, while not impossible, a Gorn going through Starfleet Academy would be very odd. Regardless of whether you choose a dragongirl or a Gorn, you're dealing with some special OC. Like Nog, if that helps get my point across better.

Re:Dragonborn - I get the point you're trying to make. We don't need to get into an argument about the intricacies of Dragonborn tits, but at the same time it comes down to the type of image you want to display. Some people are going to like Dragonborn, and some are going to thing they're nothing but scalie bait. I don't think you could say with any certainty that one species, fictional, canon, or anything inbetween, wouldn't be liked by some and hated by others. I guess what I'm saying is - let's agree to disagree.

>Sonic

>white Klingon
Well of course. All trump suppporters are white, so it makes sense.

Unrelated dragon

Did you commission these?

I mean these are decent artists but... this level of devotion indicates that it is indeed going to come tumbling down around you.

In saying that, once managed to get a GM to let me play an Arachine science officer with a Xenomorph twist. Good times were had, but I wasn't the GM inserting his waifu.

I was there, in fairness to the thread he wasn't posting art.

I don't know how much of it was our collective appreciation for monster girls though.

If you really are from my group, I'd appreciate it if you kept me honest. I don't really care who you are as I lurk these threads enough for you to post user and I'll see it. Also this would be a very good opportunity for you to voice any complaints about the game without worrying that it'd be tied to you.

In regards to the art, I simply like getting commissions. If you followed me this far into the internet, it's not that hard to find my greater albums of stuff I've gotten over the years. Two pictures are, in the grander scheme of things, just a drop in the bucket. I say that to set the sense of scale, rather than gloat or anything like that.

I never suggested I was in your group. I meant I was there when you broached the subject in thread. Response seemed fairly positive in thread.

Ah. Well the point stands if any of my players ever come across my posts.

Here's the thing: So long as you only bring her up when it's relevant, or one of the PCs seek her out, I don't think it's a completely terrible idea to have an NPC based on one of your old characters.

I used to use my PCs as DMPCs many, many years back when I was still rather new to the whole RPG referee hobby. So, I get the urge. However, I stopped doing it when I realized I kept forgetting they were with the party, so I may as well not have them tag along.

These days, I try to inject some personality into my regular NPCs. Occasionally my PCs take a liking to them and ask them to tag along. They've even gone on quests to return one NPC's remains to his family after he died.

Never, ever make an NPC so important that they can't be killed inadvertently, or as the result of regular combat. If your plot is that easy to derail, it wasn't a good one to start with.

tl;dr Small doses. Treat them as a regular NPC rather than a plot armored OC donut steel.

>the disappointment in Captain Foley's eyes

He is legit so sad, its heartbreaking

After watching that, I have a feeling I'd be 1000% more negative than he was. Foley was definitely super diplomatic. I'm glad I didn't get hyped for the premiere, and I'm glad I chose to watch TOS tonight instead (currently on "Dagger of the Mind").

I kind of liked the klingon space suit design.

It's shit. It's all shit.
I'd have liked the Klinks if they weren't Klinks though, honestly.

Yeah, it's the same problem with everything that's come out since the JJ era started. It'd all be fine if instead of trying to use the Trek background they'd have just made it part of a new property.

I still kinda want to see her bio.

Broadly from what i've heard, discovery is in the reboot-verse, but CBS are working on a show in the prime timeline.

Paramount own the reboot-verse and CBS has the rights to prime, and this series was made by paramount i think.

Discovery, which is produced by CBS, has publicly been said to be a part of the prime timeline. That said, everything I saw tonight would lead me to believe it's supposed to be part of JJ Trek. Anyway, my point wasn't about what timeline it's in, but more about how everything made recently would have been better served as a new IP.

It's hard to accurately describe my feelings towards STD. But it's not positive.

I liked Discovery. So far, it's certainly better than JJTrek, and not as dull as Voyager.

Yes, the main character is a reckless idiot, but I appreciate that they acknowledge that, and she pays for it.

I hate the Klingon re-design. They look lumpy and ugly orcs. The Federation designs I stomach a bit better. I can overlook the drastic tech and design difference between Discovery and TOS, mostly because Shenzou looked like a really comfy ship to be on.

So apparently STD is a great addition to the series and feels exactly like old Trek. Fucking shoot me.

How about a brief diversion from the STD hate.

This is a Nova, comfiest class of ship in the fleet. It is currently without, crew, name or a mission.

How about we make a crew, argue over a name and decide what mission we need to fuck up.

It could be fun and we can go back to the bilefest later.

Keep in mind that it is designed to have a max crew of 78 so presumably those beds are bunk beds and/or there is hot bedding.

You know what did feel like old Trek to me? The admiral. There was a certain something about him that made me feel that, contrary to everything else we saw, he would have fit in perfectly in any of the other series.

I assume that ships with hot/bunk bedding situations like this tend to be assigned to shorter missions and have a permanent home base they return to frequently. The 24th century Federation is way too comfy for people to live all cramped up like that for extended durations.

Pity we only saw him for like 3 minutes before he conked it.

>XO goes full Sloane with her "I would sacrifice the federation's principles and my own morals to save my crew" shtick
>Gets sentenced to life imprisonment for her crimes
>will end up on the Discovery, somehow
>NCC-1031
>31
Well fuck my ass, lads, I sure do wonder how this show will go.

More or less my thoughts on the first 2 episodes as well. I actually like the new unifrms, they feel like a good bridge between NX-jumpsuits and the full on pajama party of TOS. The autist in me wants a better look at all those other feddie starships, especially those ones that looked almost TOS-esque in their aesthetic.

Klingons are stupid. Their makeup is stupid and basically freezes the actors face in what I would describe as "just realised ive shat myself" facial expression. Their ships look ugly and evil. Apparently we're just throwing subtlty in antagonists out the window.

Really like the banter on the bridge of the Shengzhou and actually quite like the characters as well. And at least the pretence of repercussions for commander protag is welcoming.

Perhaps before the Dominion War.

With the current ship and officer shortage missions are being given to whatever ships are available and capable of doing the job, comfort comes second at best. Also more and more non-Star Fleet being hired at the discretion of the captains to fill the places left by the recent attrition.

I'm firmly against hotbedding on the ship. As stated in the last thread, there's basically no reason you can't put in Bunks for your crew's basic quality of life. I know I'd rather sleep in a cramped room with 3 other people than share one bed with them on rotation. Hell, the psychological benefits of having your own space, even if it is very limited, are huge.

That being said, Nova-class is my jam. So I'm gonna suggest that the crew has been selected very carefully to make sure they get on. Close quarters, no holodeck and a monotonous mission makes crew-comparability essential. So this is a ship where the Councillor is a vital role.

Would you care to describe the councillor?

The sort of person that can get on with anyone. More Ezri than Troi, personality wise. Troi always came off as an intellectual superior who told you how you should feel. Ezri at least pretended to be in the trenches with her patients (as seen through interaction with Garak.) Odd as it sounds, Troi, an empath, showed no empathy. A notable problem for Betazeds, it seems.
Our Councillor needs to be approachable and extremely extroverted. He or she has to have an instinctive understanding of crew behaviour and to appear more as the voice of a friend than a superior. I'm imagining a kind-faced woman. Maybe an Orion (on pheremone supressors) sitting down with officers and crew members alike and just shooting the shit. Encouraging communal activities (say a weekly meal with as many crew members as possible) the aquisition of tokens and trophies(something unique from each world they visit, public displays show casing the personal awwards of crew members) and, above all, near prescient in her ability to see a fight coming before it starts.

You know, the Type-2 phasers from Wrath of Khan might have been a bit too aggressive-looking for the Federation in some ways, but I still liked how they looked.

They're right. Discovery has problems so far, but it's still a promising re-imagining.

Except Micheal. Damn I hate her.

I thought those were from UC. Aren't these from WoK?

Man I have a hard time keeping all those phasers straight. Was almost sure it was WoK, but maybe not?

If the federation had its aesthetics from WoK and ideals from TOS, id be fully aboard that ship.

It's not. They're the STVI hand phasers.

It's my favorite movie of the franchise.

So much this. It's the perfect blend, really.

She looked better in the 80's.

Mikey is honestly fucking terrible. I sincerely hope she either gets killed, turns into a bad guy or just gets better. But I can't see any of that happening. But it's still early days so it's possible.

EVERYONE looked better in the 80s!

Name Suggestions:
Robin
Sparrow
Wren
Javelin
Manticore
Duke
Hunter
Dagger
Harpy
Aurora
Artemis
Spectre
Troy
Gibraltar
Galway
Helsinki
Orville
Maxia
Wolf
*a bunch of unintelligible horseshit that's the name of a city on... lets say Andoria*

Anyone got a PDF copy of Star Trek Adventures?
I bought one offa drivethru, but my phone won't unzip the file and I don't have a laptop because I also need to buy food and pay rent.

Yes, because we still allowed social shaming for those that didn't put forth the effort to actually act human.

Mission: "cataloguing gaseous anomalies" that just happen to be right near the border of Klingon/Romulan/Cardassian/Tholian/etc space. Purely scientific mission. No duplicity, certainly no hidden top secret intelligence gathering going on. Nope, just a perfectly harmless science vessel, don't mind us.

I vote Sparrow, but only because they're my favorite bird.

>*a bunch of unintelligible horseshit that's the name of a city on... lets say Andoria*

Why not just call it Kumari, after Shran's vessel?

Speaking as someone who was actually alive back then and paid attention to real life, fitness was just "cool" back then.
Now it's just another thing in a sea of other things, an optional lifestyle choice.

If it makes you feel better, fit people will always generally be more successful and more popular.

And certainly disregard the massive secondary sensor array on the front of the ship that can scan an entire sector of space in high detail... That's just so we can get a really high-res scan of those dust clouds and type 3 comets everybody is fascinated by.

I figure the Kumari is a reserved name in the same way that the Enterprise is. You can't just slap it on any old starship, has to be at least a medium cruiser.

You say that as you post a picture of a glorified cockroach.

Could be the Talas, then (that being the lieutenant that the Tellarite killed in one episode).

Andorians are warriors, albeit far more refined than Klingons. An Andorian-themed name should go on something with a shit-ton of guns strapped to it, like a Defiant or Akira or Steamrunner and the like. Vulcans fit science vessels much better. Call it the U.S.S. P'Jem or something related.

That'd be a really nice touch, actually.

How does /STG/ feel about headcanon like this?

>memory-gamma.wikia.com/wiki/USS_Invincible

I can see how it's kind of an excuse to throw together someone's favorite characters, but I think it's interesting to look at what the Federation could do if they used all the crazy tech they've discovered and experimented with to build actual warships to deal with major threats. The Defiant and Voyager were a good start, and the Prometheus is a great example of applying their technology on a small scale, but what if they went bigger?

A friend sent me this. Kinda works.
youtube.com/watch?v=s77l5ti2ATk&feature=youtu.be

That is so amazingly awful I think it deserves a medal, or to be made a mascot for things of that ilk.
Put it on a banner with the text 'To boldly go where nobody should have gone because fucking hell this was a bad idea'.

I vote for Sparrow, it's suitable comfy for the comfy ship.

Assuming Morag isn't an option.

The TNG phasers are kinda painful to look at for how shitty a grip they have for a weapon.

Oh sure, TNG era Feds don't want to be too agressive when they can avoid it, but a hard to aim and use pistol is gonna get it's owner killed when there's call to use it.

Just because you prefer not to draw doesn't mean you shouldn't commit when you actually do draw.

The design's good, but a weapon that's so backheavy would be a bitch to holster, it needs more of it's mass in front of the handle.

It's sci fi, you could just mag-lock it to your belt. Would be a simple technological design, even kinda managable irl.

Sure, but they never actually did that.

The only shit that counts is the stuff on screen, whether we like it or not. Headcanon is fine (sort of) for RPGs, since the alpha canon is a starting point. Want the Franz Joseph designs? Done. Want the Klingons to have joined the Federation as briefly mentioned in early TNG? Done. Want some fuckugly abomination with every named character a temporal agent being herded around by a geriatric Daniels? Done.

But the last one is really fucking dumb and devalues the PCs. The others are just potentially interesting alternate universe for the PCs to play around in.

>Want the Franz Joseph designs? Done.
Double done.

They literally used pages of the tech manual as console screen filler, so the designs are on-screen canon.

Why is everyone complaining about STD when all the critics are saying how excellent it is?

Read through the thread dude, some of us thought it was alright.

>devalues the PCs
Agreed. Actually looking at the writeup for that thing, they were just throwing everything in. But, if I was going to use something similar, the PCs would be the command crew for one of the Defiants that link up to the flaghip. The monstrosity itself then acts as a hub, while the players are equipped to go do their own thing.

I know it's the OG ugly abomination, but pic related is more or less what I meant about the Franz Joseph designs (and also the starbases and whatnot).

I haven't watched it, so I reserve judgment, but since when have critics been the barometer for quality? A small minority might actually be fans, the rest are normie trash who like Marvel flicks and the Transformers franchise.

Critics also hated on The Orville and yet user reviews are overwhelmingly in the positive spectrum.

Critics may not necessarily be approaching the subject from the same angle as the general audience, or in our case, a very specific audience.

If you want a hub ship mobile starbase sort of thing then I would go with pic related before that abortion

I'd go with the original Nova design as per the Equinox, purely because I hate the way that the upper deflector looks on the Rhode Island. I'm all for trimming down the nacelle fins though.

Is it just the perspective or is that thing supposed to be five times bigger than that Galaxy-class?

To be fair, the standard issue phaser is "just" a security sidearm.

When the federation gets serious they have phaser rifles and pulsed phaser rifles.

Their first try at that wasn't too good either.