Are we ever going to go back to Arabian Nights?

Are we ever going to go back to Arabian Nights?
after all Wizard like to make "grab some mythology, add the Magic theme into the mix"

What do you say?
Rip off Shahrazad could be a planes walker, she being one allow her to know 1001 different stories or something like that.
her ultimate ability could be a call back to the original Shahrazad sorcery, sure it would be broken, ban and boring. but they are not doing the set anyway...

Sorry for cynicism, but I feel like there needs to be an Arabian mythology epic in modern pop culture for the setting to take new roots. One big budget Sindbad Blockbuster would do it

>Are we ever going to go back to Arabian Nights?

Maybe when the middle east ceases to be warzone.

WotC clearly said that we won't see Arabian Nights again.

but what about....
"shabdagak" and they making their rip off arabian nights
just like Amonketh was rip off egypt

>Maybe when the middle east ceases to be warzone.

This. People don't want to be reminded of sectarian violence and terrorism in their fantasy games. It's depressing really, given how much cool shit the Arabian/mid-east setting has.

Pic related would make a fantastic 5e setting, if WotC wanted to do licensed settings.

Shouldn't that mean that Arabian Nights never should have existed to begin with? The Middle East has been a shithole ripping at itself for centuries.

They can't go back to Rabiah due copyright and they already made a mtg rip off arabian nights, like Amonket and Theros, in Mirage.

True. But the 24 hour news cycle televising a constant stream of exploding Muslims will guarantee that the fantastical lore of the region will be discarded in lieu of the grim reality we see today. For the next hundred years, "The Middle East" will be synonymous with violence.

Yeah. Yeah I guess you're right.

That wont stop disney with their live action aladdin.

Throne of the Crescent Moon is basically a generic young adult fantasy book with Arabian Nights aesthetics.
It's not bad, necessarily, just kinda forgettable.

Besides, why would they license that for D&D when Al Qadim already exists?

Was she really naked in the original story

What do you think the king was going to do with the virgins he married and then beheaded the next day?
A night of intense hand-holding?

I dont know, but few arts depict her that way...
but it may be just artistic freedom.
or maybe it make sense, as an evil king that fucks a new wife and kill her the next morning, you may have her most of the time naked, specially after sex...

Can I play too?

go on, give some context...
and we may tell.
because I thought we already had "indian magic land".... kind of....

They already did that with the original set. It was Rabiah, and led to the scale of "not touching this with a ten foot pole"

Which sucks, as a Return to Rabiah could be neat.

Nah, if it ain't their intellectual property, they don't want it.

They can make it and steal the intellectual property, change the names
Dabmiz,Nidalan, Dazarahahas, Ababila,
Boom there, copyrighted and pattented.

Oh, I agree. Most of the more thematic places were named after his friends and family anyway.

Could be fun to think up ideas for a "what if" set.

So a few ideas on various creature types for Rabiah, trying to make them a more "magic" plane:

>Races
>Bird - Rukhs/Rocs as a common creature. Rabiah's Aven are the Bird Maidens, even more human than Amonkhet, with human faces.
>Djinn - The most common blue tribe of Rabiah, the Djinn pretty much rule the skies and seas.
>Efreet - The fiery kin of the Djinn, the Efreet are desert dwellers, who control the ogres and the wild tribes of men.
>Ogre - Wilderness dwelling humanoid monsters. Servants of the Efreet.
>Zombies - The ghouls, human corpses animated by a djinn or efreet's spirit. They feast on the flesh of the living.

>Classes
>Artificers - Sahir, the sorcerers who bind Djinn, Efreet, and Ghoul into rings, lamps, bottles and other artefacts.
>Cleric - The Viziers. Nicking the idea from Amonkhet. These cleric-scholars advise the nobility and kings.
>Monk - Dervishes. Religious fanatics of the desert nomads, who use mental trances to enhance their fighting.
>Wizard - Sorcerers and witches, who work elemental magic without fine control.

Wizards might, they did 2 POC sets, after the return to dominara it could happen.

I honestly would like to see a new Rabiah set.

No Eldrazis or Phyrexians.

Are you at least semi-aware why Disney is churming up live-action adaptations right now?
Because they are updating their copyright base. And since it proved to be quite profitable, it means they are going to not only shit out the oldies (which was the original plan), but also all the stuff from the 90s, despite those having "varanty" for another 40+ years.

>No Eldrazis or Phyrexians.

Agreed nu-phyrexia is shit

Yeah, any real threat's probably from the djinn or efreet.

so similar to Kamigawa

What they said was that we won't return to Rabia as it isn't based on their own IP. There's still a chance that we could travel to another Arab/Persian-inspired plane.

Jamuraa was based more on Africa than it was the middle-east, and that still doesn't preclude them from visiting a separate Africa world in the future. Dominaria also had a clearly Japanese-inspired continent, for example, and we still got Kamigawa.

>a new Rabiah set.

They can't do Rabiah due copyright, but sure they can make a new Middle Eastern inspired block.