MTG 93/94 Oldschool Format

Has anyone here tried any of the "Oldschool" formats? If so, what have you build/played? I'm thinking of trying one out, currently building a 93/94 white weenie deck with a banding subtheme.

To those who haven't heard of the it, there are multiple versions of the "Oldschool" format, but here are a couple you can check out:
eternalcentral.com/9394rules/
oldschool-mtg.blogspot.com/p/banrestriction.html

Other urls found in this thread:

eternalcentral.com/oldschoolew2016/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yeah, back when it was just called "playing Magic".

What formats do you play nowadays? Would you consider playing Oldschool?

Banding is bad, use black vice and winter orb for softlock.

Would that pair up well with the white weenie strategy? I've never played white weenie before, so any tips you have would be great. I was actually thinking of throwing in Black Vice.

Your mana curve is low, and it helps keep the big spells like The Abyss off the table.

That's a good point, I'll certainly try it out. Thanks!

When I want to play oldschool magic i just fire up shandalar. Too bad the AI is pure garbage in that game.

No problem!

Old school is a great format, surprisingly balanced due to aggro being cheap and control being expensive and slow.

>So for example, a Chronicles City of Brass, Fifth Edition Wrath of God, and Collector’s Edition Mox Ruby would all be legal (original frame + original art), while an Ice Age Swords to Plowshares or Arena 1996 Counterspell would not be legal (different art)
This is dumb

I agree, I think any reprints should be legal as long as they have the classic frame.

It is a fan format, you can just ignore that one if your group agrees.

I understand that, its still dumb.

>In order to encourage the maximum amount of Magic and matches being played (and disincentivize draws and concession for seeding), we enforce a strict no draw policy (intentional or otherwise). After 50 minutes if there was a tied match, the tie breaker will be a sudden death Chaos Orb flipping contest, similar to a hockey or soccer overtime shootout. If both players make or miss the Chaos Orb flip in the same round, repeat the process. The first person to make it while the other person misses will be declared the winner of the match. The point of Old School is to play Old School, so we always encourage everyone to play quickly and have fun each round, and this tournament structure has worked very well to that end.

There are more than a few popular versions of the format, I just linked the 2 in the OP that I'd found comprehensive rules for so far.

My favorite old school deck is slight of mind control using either lifeforce or death grip to counter all of the spells.

Man that game brings back good memories, I was just a poorfag with no money to buy Magic 2012 back when that came out on PC so I downloaded that and learned how to play MtG from there.

I miss my Elf deck from there

Is there a reason twiddle vault never places? It was the big combo deck around here back in the day.

Nigga, you don't log in to oldscool runescape and complain about the fact that you can't play the old game with updated graphics now do you?

The second link explains some dude's version of the format and links to many other "oldschool" format variants, explains the difference between theirs and the other. Really interesting and informative.

93/94 is a scam and sucks ass as a format since its so limited

The best old school format is everything pre 8th edition so basically all cards before before Modern card frame but you can use any reprints that are new framed

Plebian as fuck. Do you think about your Avia with that brain?

So its basically reverse modern ?

Why cut out ice age ?

"Yes goy waste thousands of dollars on a fan format no one plays because the print policy is autistic and you cant use new frame reprints!"
Yeah, that way theres way more cards to use, you can grab Scourge cards and Planeshift cards Invasion, Odyssey, P3K, and even Legions. So many great sets.

>Poor fag mad at rich fag format.
>Doesn't realize first sets were much better playtested.

That doesnt even address the retarded policy that you cant use reprints. Theyre the exact same cards. And 93/94 with an actual deck is probably close to Vintage prices so no im not a poorfag because I dont have $10,000 to spend on cards for a dead ass format.
Older sets were not better playtested either retard, Alpha and Beta are broken messes with broken cards and a bunch of unplayable chaff. Also 93/94 not having Urzas Saga block which is the greatest old block of all time is a crime.

>Calling wealthier, better looking anons retards.
>Doesn't realize that power is system relative, alpha is more like a board game and that decks were closely balanced against each other, while the fear of making strong cards came frim increasing options.

>"Yes goy waste thousands of dollars on a fan format no one plays because the print policy is autistic and you cant use new frame reprints!"
Just use proxies numbnuts.

>"Yes goy waste thousands of dollars on a fan format no one plays because the print policy is autistic and you cant use new frame reprints!"
Also, how are (((they))) making any money from people buying cards for the 93/94 format?

They always do.

Is this just nostalgia the format or does this carry some weight actually ?

This is the closest thing to a vintage thread so does anyone know if "miracles" is playable in vintage? SDT + CB to hold the lock?

It carried weight 20 years ago and it carries weight now

Isn't miracles shit in Legacy? Why would it be any better in Vintage?

Too slow for the format

Miracles was the best t1 deck before SDT was banned.

fuck yeah oldskool shit

do you know any kewl oldskool monoblack decks Veeky Forums?

Here's a bunch of decklists, I think there's at least a couple mono black decks in there.
eternalcentral.com/oldschoolew2016/

Isn't it basically a solved format?

I don't think so, but even if it was, it's just for fun. It's not for the type of min/maxing fags that play Legacy, Modern, Standard or Vintage, hence the decks in the link here: .

Bump

>tfw modern magic would never produce creature designs this good

What would that card look like nowadays? Dual wielding flaming swords and they'd all be Indians?

Too complex for the average mtg player and 90% of Veeky Forums

I was talking about the art, but it's correct for the ability too. It's even a common.

i miss old school art, it looks so much better then the cgi crap we have today.

Indeed, but we had a lot of hacks back in the day as well like Mike Kimble, Douglas Schuler, Amy Weber . . .

>amy weber
what the fuck no
sure, half her shit is childish, but the other half are fantastic ornate semi-schematical artifact illustrations, and many of her pieces that are childish still have a sort of primitive dark forlornness, like neolithic sculpture
she made time walk for fucks sake

confimed for dogshit taste. user I can't think of any bad art that they did. now drew tucker on the other hand you chould make a case for and even then it's only because he stands out with his watercolors

I just want to point out that this was reprinted in Time Spiral as Knights of the Holy Nimbus. How did Wizards go so wrong after that block?

maro considers it a mistake, that while block that's why.

Why do I see so many people shittalk the art of Stasis? Are they modernbabies or something?

>drew tucker is arguably bad
>but mike kimble is flawless
jesus christ

mate at least you can see what the art is supposed to be ffs

maro was a mistake

Give a look at balduvian war makers and tell me that aint dogshite

Oldskool decks are so quaint, I love it. All that fast mana to ramp into a fucking 5/5. I remember when t1 swamp Rit Hippie was a nuts play

it looks fine to me mate, I have the card somewere too.

Yeah I know what you mean, I love how cute the big baddies are in this format.

One last bump

You can see what the art is if you stop to fucking think about it.

Every Drew Tucker card is easily decipherable if you just look at key features like eyes, mouths, bodies, trees, soil, rock, etc and from there you can figure out the perspective and what's going on the in the art based on the relations of those features.

Open your eyes, use your brain, it's not hard.

>summon sage

Would a format where players started out with 2 or 3 lands in play work?

make it like FoW where you have a separate deck with the lands, and you have to choose from which deck to draw.