MTG modern general

Hoomans edition

>playin
>hatin
>brewing

thread q

Ixalan is out on friday, there any cards that your looking forward to picking up? i thought that vraskas contempt could do with 1 less mana in the cost, and there was the kid between PtE and wrath that looked interesting... what do you guys think?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/28-08-17-mogis-control/
circuitoligamagic.com.br/?view=deck&id=622991
mtggoldfish.com/tournament/scg-modern-iq-danbury-2017-09-10#paper
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

correction, its out on saturday

I'm thinking of putting 4x Smash to Smithereens in my sideboard to fuck with the decks I don't like. Got any other spicy tech for BR? Gunna also have Sugicals and Slaughter Games

>playin
Champion of the Parish and friends.
>hatin
Wraths
>brewing
Bogles.

So I hear Humans are the best tribal deck in modern now (Eldrazi shit doesn't count)

Your SB should be 2 Smash 2 Shattering Spree if you actually anticipate that many artifacts

merfolk

Merfolk has been garbage for a while. I'd put Humans and even Elves above them, CoCo is just too powerful

speaking of elves and hoomans i was looking at the one aid from the cowl enchant, you could have it trigger if you had a sac outlet or some fetches.

No one in my area plays affinity, so I never get swarmed by artifacts, but there are plenty of utility artifacts that deserve blowing up. Like Expedition Map

Give me one good reason why you're not playing one of these decks.

Top tier or fuck off.

>humans.dec looks interesting
>read more about it
>it's a 4c degeneracy

And here I hoped for a cool tribal deck.

Is 4 color control viable???

I'm too lazy to sell my stuff. Honestly I'd be willing to give up my other two modern decks to play storm, I don't give a fuck

so uh if you're hellbent on playing ad nauseam or want hierarchs and fetches from infect hit me up

Im playing two of them though

Kiora makes it fun, it might be something with the new planeswalker rule?

Because my area is devoid of Storm and Scapeshift and my deck does fine against the rest of those decks pictured for the most part.

I honestly think you should play Abrade over Smash to Smithereens, it's the better card unless you're in say Burn.

You're just better off playing Abundance. I actually did that in Elves once, wasn't bad of a card really and did let me keep "drawing" gas. Bonus I guess is you can't be milled out ever. Shaper's Sanctuary is generally a more interesting card now though for Elves since it's cmc 1 and draws you cards on spot removal and other targetted effects. Path just becomes extremely bad against you as now you get two cards instead of one.

My Birthing Pod got banned,and I have a bunch of the cards around...

Would Ad Naus ever consider opt just to have extra draw? Not replace any of your cantrips, but just to have an extra cantrip. I feel like you could definitely squeeze some in by shaving down to 3 unlife and then 2 spoils or something like that

Why not both?

Card slots in Ad Naus lists are pretty tight already and Sleight of Hand and Serum Visions are still better over what Opt would provide at cmc 1, even 2 mana spells like Anticipate/Peer are much stronger too and Ad Naus doesn't really care about doing stuff on opponent's turn unless they can go for the absolute kill. Opt is better for the control decks that want to hold up Spell Pierce/Spell Snare mana. Maybe Storm might benefit more from it but again lists are pretty tight.

Can only have so many slots in my sideboard friend.

Storm's a lot tighter on mana than Ad Naus is so I doubt they really want it too much there

Because for some reason Counters/Vizier/Devoted Company isn't tier 1.

"The Ixalan set becomes legal for sanctioned Constructed play on its official release date: Friday, September 29, 2017." Source : Wizards of the Coast

Yeah I figured as much, Opt is really something more for the general control decks like Jeskai/Esper/whatever control lists that can benefit from it.

Each magic game has a finite amount of fun in it and lantern control lets me have all of it

Not when I ulamog away your pithing needle and bridge

Are those bolas horns, on the beetle?

>implying you get to draw Ulamog

>Can see my hierarchs to buy into storm
I-is it worth it? I've been playing it online and I love the degeneracy of it. It feels like I'm playing legacy in modern. I'm just worried that it's going to eat another ban because the DCI really fucking loathes the deck

Dont, the deck is cheap and if it gets banned the price on Gifts and other stuff will tank. Its also poised to get slightly better thanks to Opt and if it gets any better it will most definitely hit a ban since its probably on the radar to begin with.

Doesn't opt help DS decks more than anything else though? I can't think of anything I'd slot opt in over
Besides, what can they hit at this point? Gifts?

Idk after my last deck got the axe I've been itching to play something that isn't tier 2 again. Turns out playing Ad Naus ad nauseam will make you want to lightning storm yourself in the fucking face

Ive heard Storm pilots say it gets a bit better with it. I dont play it though. And yeah Gifts most definitely could get hit as it would basically kill the deck. Just play Burn, its basically Storm but will never be banned

Fuck Ensnaring Bridge and all decks that run it. Why has Wizards banned shit like Bloodbraid Elf but not this?

Its pretty bullshit desu but im wondering if I should run a pair in Burn SB ive seen it lately.

>implying I wouldn't eventually draw him with worldspine wurm and emrakul shuffle triggers

Fuck burn, I played it and sold it in legacy and it felt better to play in that format than in this one
I love playing storm in legacy and I like modern. I can't imagine them banning the deck at this point. It's not like it's overtaking the format, hell the format's more diverse than usual at this point. Better than legacy for sure

>tfw only friend that plays mtg with me is a smug prick
>I say I'm not sure when to attack and want some advice
>He says "no I'm not telling you at all"
He also declared attackers, I declared blockers then he pumped his creatues up. Can he do this?

Yes.

Fuck, that shit made me extremely salty

>Friend runs Siren Stormtamer
>Literally cannot kill it because of its ability
The fuck do I do against him

But Burns better in this format then Legacy?

d&t is predatory to 5 of 6, with uw durdle being a horrible matchup.

>1/1
>sacrifices itself
Let it?

Might just be pointy.

Then again, all of the vamps have the double-pronged thing going on, too. I assume they're fangs because they aren't stylized as hard, but still

Board wipe.
Lightning bolt it. Shock it. Magma Spray.

Literally anything you twit it's a 1/1 flyer that he has to pop in order to counter anything.

It's a worse judge's familiar, and as much as I like that bird, it's irrelevant

>mfw all i've ever wanted was a cool, strong Vampire Tribal in modern
Why does it hurt so much, bros

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/28-08-17-mogis-control/

This is the best I can do for you

>in response to shuffle trigger, activate Relic

All joking aside though, should I run RiP to fight that style of deck in place of Relic?

There's a plethora of artifact removal to deal with it, it's nowhere near banworthy

Read his ability retard and the fact he drops him when theres other creatures

Kill things in response to him casting it. Target it and it dies anyways. You are just bad.

>implying you're supposed to screw tron off threats and not mana as lantern

>Target it
>Its ability is to deflect spells that target it or the player
Fucking Commandercucks

I find it better to just run 4x surgical mb to stop all nonsense, it also makes g1 vs storm winnable

>it dies if it deflects them
boi

>>Its ability is to deflect spells that target it or the player
It doesn't deflect anything, It counters it. BY SACRIFICING ITSELF. Bolt it, it dies either way.

>mfw my friend never sacrificed it after using its ability

>i can't read cards, please justify me
Your friend's a cheater and you're bad.

You and your friend are both retards.

>there any cards that your looking forward to picking up?
Besides Opt, nope. At least not for modern. This set seems almost entirely built for Commander.
>between PtE and wrath that looked interesting
Wrath to Exile seems like it might see some sideboard play in D&T lists.

This. It's like their standard testing group was destroyed by UW Spirits, so they banned Reflector Mage and decided that fucking Mausoleum Wanderer made tempo too strong.

You didn't read the card either, shitter.

>I trusted my friend not to cheat at a casual game of cards
Yeah what a fag lol

The first thing you should do as a not-bad player is read any card you've never seen before until you're sure you understand it.

I'll do that from now on

Hello friendos. I've been thinking about getting into magic but I have no idea where to start. Should I just start buying packs? Are there different types of packs? I bought a premade deck from Target but I found out later that they're trash.
Also any random advice and shit would be cool too.

Ixalan releases this Friday, head down to the card shop and simply tell the clerks you're new. It's a great hobby just don't be an autist

Aight cool thanks

>hurr durr it dies to removal
What decks even run mainboard artifact hate? If it resolves against aggro it's pretty much game right there. It's unfair and unfun to play against, it's the antithesis of what a magic card should be.

>I've been thinking about getting into magic but I have no idea where to start.
I recommend starting to play with a friend or two. Watch some basic primers online for how to play. Research the different formats to decide which one you want to try. LGS employees are usually happy to help new players.
>Should I just start buying packs?
No.
>Are there different types of packs?
Yes.
>I bought a premade deck from Target but I found out later that they're trash.
Don't buy product from box stores unless your LGS charges exorbitant prices. And even then, I don't recommend buying any sealed product besides maybe Commander Premade decks.

K Command

I beat it with flickerwisps a lot, and my other decks have qasali pridemages in them.

But I sort of agree with that user about it being a lame card. A card can be lame without being unbeatable or overpowered.

>brewing
oh fuck yeh, really want to get this shit cookin

this is unbelievably bad

>Saying it's bad with no explanation
So this is the power..... Of reddit... Fascinating

Is this a joke?

If u posted that shit on reddit, everyone would write 5 pages about why it sucks dick but they would be super polite and fake nice about it like "oh u had some smart ideas, but im sorry its really not viable because X Y Z'.

if you ever tested it once against any kind of real deck and had any game knowledge whatsoever you'd immediately realize why its garbage and you should feel bad
fuck off retard

A local tourney here with 5 days of matches across 3 months and then a 6th day for the top 8 had these decks reach the top

Living End
RG Ponza
Eldrazi Tron
Counters Company
Jeskai Control
Ad Nauseam
Grixis Delver
Mono Black Vampires

Vampires won.

I don't think so my man..
See: He must be a very new player who thinks he is smart because he put a bunch of shit that synergizes together plus some cards that he thought were amazing because they were good on the kitchen table
>Vorosh
I could write a 10 page essay on why detritivore is terrible

Reddit we meet again

Nah, I think it has to be a joke
Either that or they're just in complete denial

Here's the list circuitoligamagic.com.br/?view=deck&id=622991

a standard deck from any standard ever could rape your deck
a pauper deck could rape your deck

maybe you were just trying to make a casual deck, so it was a mistake for me to kneejerk say it's bad

but it is very very weak

>implying I'm the same user
I want redditfags to leave

>Merfolk has been garbage for a while
Lmao
mtggoldfish.com/tournament/scg-modern-iq-danbury-2017-09-10#paper
Call me when those human meme decks consistently top 8

So there's UG merfolk builds people are working on right?
I think river sneak might be solid in the deck, just by virtue of being unblockable, and the pump always helps a bit too. I just remember playing fish and having some problems sometimes with not getting spreading seas, seems like a solid beater that can just end the game. no idea what you'd take out though

lmao at the retarded people arguing over my WIP deck
brewing is fun, I'm going to throw in 4 Inferno Titans as a curve top creature instead of the detritivore etc
you would be surprised at how much it can stall the game, it needs a couple big finisher cards though

you know there's already land destruction decks in modern, right? They aren't absolute garbage like the shit pile you just posted

show me on the doll where the deck touched you

Kopala might see some play and that's it
I don't see much benefit in splashing green

you can do some cute coco shenanigans I guess, and you get a 1 mana 2/2 merfolk
yeah I guess there's not much merit, I do like river sneak as a 1 or 2 of though just to smash through if you're stalled

Good Ixalan vampire cards?

The guy that searches himself.

I don't feel too worried that storm is going to get the hammer any time soon. It just isn't that large of a part of the meta, it isn't taking down many tournaments, it's not in every single top 8 of all time, it isn't violating the turn 3 rule right now. I guess it's pushing it by being able to go off turn 3, but it's not like infect which could go off turn 3 and have protection. IDK, I just think banning it would be unjustified, especially after all the shit it's been through.

Honestly? I can't think of any. Maybe commanderfags will want the mythic but the rest are mediocre at best.

Coco doesn't seem great on merfolk because it typically runs a fair amount of non creatures
The unblockable guy doesn't really seem better than the 2 drops already used

Legion Conquistadors? They're pretty great

Merfolk only runs about 10 non-creature spells, Naya zoo ran like 11 back when it was popular
I'm not saying it's great but that doesn't seem like a great argument