EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"Obscure Skies of Arcadia Reference" Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: How expensive is your most expensive deck? Did you pay anywhere near full price for it?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/27-08-17-dinos/
youtube.com/watch?v=53UOVjGdFTU
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/field-to-plowshares/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/26-09-17-squee/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/i-cant-belive-its-not-tribal/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>TQ
I don't know, I don't keep track. But I am 100% sure my most expensive deck is Kaalia.

Jace is Urza
Urza is Xehanort

>How expensive is your most expensive deck? Did you pay anywhere near full price for it?

I honestly don't want to know. I've just been slowly adding to it and over the years. I don't even keep updated decklists on tappedout

No, Urza is Sora. Just look at the similar names.
Yawgmoth is Xehanort.

Who was Ansem?

Mishra
He was already half-yawgmoth

>chain of memories
>amnesia
>card games
>tulpa copy in his head
Sora really is Jace

We had heartless, then we had the nobodies, and now we will get the mindblowns.

>heartless
You might be onto something here.

So I feel like I already know the answer, but how is a Dinosaur EDH deck? Or just one including some of the Dinosaur cards?

I found out the secret to enjoying playing the game with randoms at card shops. Only play with people new to the game who are just playing modified precons!

I have never had a bad experience doing this. People are nice, patient, friendly and chill. Plus, they may even find you funny.

Bad. Not enough even remotely playable creatures, and thats counting the changlings. Gishnath only cares about dinos, and if you opt to play non dinos, you better hope to connect with the full 7 points in order to get value, even then its not likely.

Wait till rivals, then there might be something there.

pretty much what said. however, I already started building it with whats available. its obviously not meant to be competitive, just something I can play when I feel like messing around. this is my list if it helps

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/27-08-17-dinos/

Usually when I play MtG I go with decks that do weird shit so I have a couple of staple green cards since I never play that color like Courser of Kruphix, Avenger of Zendikar, Life from the Loam, and Primeval Titan collecting dust.

I just want something braindead and angry to play stompy trample creatures. What color should I mix with it because I know monogreen is ass.

>monogreen is ass
[laughing Omnath]
Probably Ruric Thar.

monogreen can be pretty good. but if what you want is
>something braindead and angry to play stompy trample creatures

then definitely play Gruul. Ruric Thar, Xenagod, Omnath, Locust of Rage, and so on

Dunno mate, there's shit like Titania, Azusa, Omnath, literally any elf general because they're all elfball and Yisan who can fuck you in the ass no problem.

monogreen can be oppressive as far as dumb stompy things gameplay is concerned. blue can be a fun combination with green, even when going for the dumb smashy strat. not only do you have zegana, momir, vorel, rashmi, kruphix and kraj as commander options that do well alongside big fat, but you can run all the biggest leviathans and water monsters alongside the big green things.

Been playing digitally for years (about a decade) but suddenly my old pals started playing table top again so I picked up a shadows over innistrad tool kit and pre-ordered a box of ixalan while I was at it. How fucked am I for trying to build a edh burn deck? I know I shoulda bought singles but the lgs I went to had shit and the other store i visited was price gouging up the ass.

Are you implying that he's Vyse?

>thread tune: youtube.com/watch?v=53UOVjGdFTU

Yeah, that's about what I figured. Maybe there will be some neat stuff in the new set, but I'll see. I might toss in one or two of the better ones where they fit.

You completely fucked up, Tool Kits give you shitty cards that are only halfway decent if you're a completely new player with nothing else and you want to get into MtG and Ixalan has no good burn cards. Honestly Ixalan only has like 4 or 5 cards that will stay over $10 after a month so I hope you hit a couple to get your money back.

It's probably been a while but if your local store doesn't have shit then order cards online from Cardkingdom, Starcitygames, or tcgplayer.

What is a great edh deck

Monogreen dominates Duel Commander and is the only non-blue contender in Leviathan/1v1 MOL Commander.
It's extremelly powerful, it just can't beat three other assholes when they're all going against you and you don't have Cyclonic Rift. But generally speaking the only decks that can win despite the rest of the table kicking your nuts on sight are URx turn 2 combo decks.

The best brainless G commander is IMO Edric. It's just turning dudes sideways and yelling NO! angrily when others pretend to touch your dudes.

Duel commander is retarded I would rather just play Legacy if its 1 vs 1

Thread Question
My Teysa, Orzhov Scion deck. Its probably $1250 and I plan on buying more foils for it and a few more powerful cards

The point is Monogreen is opressively powerful when it doesn't have to deal with 3+ opponents and that user is dumb or is building dumb. Only combo decks can deal with turn 2 Ulamog/Kozilek.

Serious question.

Am I the only person who can't stand foils? None of my cards are foiled because I hate how they look and feel. The only time I get a foil is if its some alternate judge or FNM promo card that looks way better than the normal art like Hero's Downfall

who should my commander be if I want to use Chainer and Dragonlord Silumgar in UBR?

Tresserhorn

I hate foils too, I wish I could get a non-foil FTV:D Bolas or FNM Izzet Charm

I like them for some reason. I keep them all double sleeved and most of my decks are heavily foiled. Im going to be getting the Judge Foil Basic Lands for my Teysa deck eventually.

Is Atraxa a good General? Four cost [GWBU] with lifelink, deathtouch, flying, vigilance and proliferates at the ed of your end step?

She's great if you've got a couple of grand spare.

This is a surprisingly hard thing to search for, but what are some cards that work ala Gemstone Array?

I'm building Radha and running stuff like Braid of Fire. I know the two batteries and monoliths work well. Anything else along those lines?

Any fun mana sinks like Gigantomancer would also be appreciated.

It's pubstomp-tier, but it can be fun if you go out of your way for eccentric types of counters. I run all of the storage lands I can to passively build up mana for a massive turn, as well as about 7 walkers and quest cards.

She's objectively the strongest commander ever if you have enough money

Just remember that one must be an Ass in order to run Asstraxa. This is clearly stated in the pamphlet that comes with her precon deck. Enjoy!

According to tappedout:

>derevi Enchantress
$900
>kess reanimator
$900
>karametra creatures
$800
>azami wizards
$575

Don't know how they all got so high, I have spent some decent money on my decks, probably about $400 each, but prices raise so quickly these days it's insane

What kind of deck are we talking about here for her?
That sounds fun.
Kek

I use darksteel reactor as a lol tier win condition. Her Ass is so big, that she requires many board wipes to clean away all the hate that will be thrown your way after she hits the battlefield

You need helix pennicle as well. A lot of things like druids repository can generate large bursts of mana to 2 turn it easily.

The most popular decks are Infect and Superfriends.

What commander is the moat like Griffith?

Good to know. I like superfriends and Infect. Are there any cards that if I were to build a deck around her that I should absolutely add or any sort of structure I should go for in the deck?

You can't have Moat as your commander, user.

Normally my decks are all just kitchen table stuff and I don't think any have gone over 150 bucks or so. My current project is 5 color Pantheon deck, and I think mostly complete it's sitting around 400?

I personally like to play with a charge counter archetype with her. Aether vial is always neat in this respect, while power conduit allows Glen Elendra to be even more so supremely oppressive and lets you shift your strategy back and forth from buffing creatures or bolstering artifacts that care aboot charge counters

literally the most popular general for online stats

I just placed a $70 order for that keiga deck i mentioned before, still missing $50 worth of cards, and another $40 in the form of teferi/leyline/orrery. Starving student status hurts

I absolutely love her for being able to glue a bunch of weird shit throughout Magic's card design into a neat deck. I mentioned the quest cards and storage lands earlier, but I really can't understate how RIDICULOUS it is to take 8 counters off of Calciform Pools and put 16/16 in flyers on the board after proliferating for 4 turns or so. I built her as an Esper control shell with green for neat stuff like Fertilid, and jammed as much counter jank as possible in. Want to blow shit up? Quest for the Holy Relic into Worldslayer. Want a hand refill? Sacrifice Pursuit of Knowledge (spicy tech btw) at instant speed for seven cards. Want to kill shit? Guul Draz Assassin. Want to get a big board? Luminarch Ascension or Kazandu Tuskcalller. Back it all up with a counterspell package and some doubling stuff like Vorel and you have a control deck that can pull a wincon out of every single orifice in its' body.

I've started building a snake lady deck, anyone have experience with her?

Post spicy tech no one has ever heard of.

I'll start.

>no one in your group respects gy order and definitely wouldn't learn to keep it if you played any cards that dealt with it
Not worth being spicy.

You got a list I can look at user? My deck needs to be improved.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/field-to-plowshares/

But my friend, surely it would generate salt.

What better spice to add to a game than salt?

I already play Meren friend

Pack up part of your wheel and flip it for double the value later.

I want a card that makes the enemy have to respect gy order

>no one in your group respects gy order

Graveyard order was a mistake.

It should be respected as standard.

Just like how damage should go on the stack

I only ever get foils of cards that I can't get black bordered otherwise because that shit warps like it wanted to be a taco in another life.

I got pic OP pic as a promo. Was debating on opening up the plastic to throw in a commander deck, maybe breya. Opinions?

card is like a dollar and shit.

Hapatra is pretty gross if your opponents don't hate it out often enough. First time I played it I won off Obelisk Spider + Carnifex Demon.

Something you and possibly others find fun and exciting

its guidelines. some of us go through graveyards a decent amount.

Oh I know it's shit, I havnt opened it yet specifically because I can't be bothered to come up with a use for it outside of potentially edh. Maybee the revel in riches deck becomes a thing and it spikes but I certainly don't expect it to happen.

But does it have any edh potential? Like I said I kinda like the idea of it it breya, where it's fixing/ramp and also a sac target for breya. But I can also see it painting a target on my back.

Any deck that can play bloodmoon

It might, in certain situations you just win on your next upkeep after a board wipe.

>Just like how damage should go on the stack
Damage on the stack was a mistake.

coalition relic, pyramid of the pantheon, treasure map, jeweled amulet, kyren toy, fungal reaches, mage ring network, joraga treespeaker

Preach it.

>How expensive is your most expensive deck?
Eeeeh, just over $200?

My most powerful one though is like $110.
I fucking LOVE my Zada deck.

Wrong. And it was literally only changed to make it "easier" for new players.

jesus christ my monored deck is 1400 dollars on tappedout. how did this happen

Link?

I love that card. Idon't play blue very often though so I don't get to play her much. She is in my Reaper King deck though.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/26-09-17-squee/

A lot of the value is from foil/promo versions of cards.

The goal is to use fast mana to wheel into more fast mana and either mill people out or assemble combos while wheeling. I know the deck would instantly be better if I made Daretti the commander but I like Squee. He's kind of disarming to people that don't know my deck.

Wrong. It was changed both to behave more intuitively and to increase strategic depth. There's no strategy to unsummoning a creature to save it after it assigned damage because there's no tradeoff. You're always going to do that 100% of the time if it's profitable. Now you actually have to make a decision, unsummon the creature and save it or allow it to deal damage and die.

The only people it benefited were rules lawyers.

>How expensive is your most expensive deck? Did you pay anywhere near full price for it?
Bruse+Reyhan is $900, Edgar is $800.
I did buy some stuff for their current retardation tier prices like Verdant Catacombs, Scalding Tarn and Wasteland, but most of it has come from precons, trading or stuff I already owned from my Legacy/Modern days.

Sorry If it was confusing, OPs pic was actually the card I was referring to. That was just the pic I used because I had it on my phone and was mentioning breya.

Should I remove my Army of the Damned from non-tribal Scarab God to make place for Spell Swindle? Army always arrives at the wrong moment

>Every single card on the reserve list is suddenly being bought up and tripling to quadrupling in price
>Even shitty cards like Gaea's Avenger

Fucking shit this sucks ass, especially for a newer EDH player such as myself. Everything on the reserve list is being bough en fucking masse.

It'd be more helpful if we had the full list.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/i-cant-belive-its-not-tribal/

Yeah, I'd bin either that or Extract from Darkness.
I can only see it working well with Vedalken Orrery, otherwise you're drawing heat on yourself, that doesn't even guarantee a win.

Is there a specific reason its being bought up?

I'm not the dude you responded to, but:

There has been a steady increase over years on all reserved list cards, there's been a sharper increase on most over the past year, and the last month has seen an even sharper increase.

We're basically hitting peak reserved list increases because more and more people are realizing that there's literally no risk in buying any of them because they will ALWAYS go up unless Magic starts to die, which I just don't see happening.

Wheel of Fortune has jumped like $40-50 over just the last couple weeks and it's a card that should be a staple.

Personally, since I plan to play this format for a long time, I've stopped buying all cards except for reserved list singles. I don't want to be sitting here 5 years from now being totally unable to purchase good staple cards like Wheel or duals.

I love this game but if I was someone looking to get into Magic and discovered the reserved list and how much of an impact it has on the game, I would reconsider. Given it doesn't affect standard or modern but it's really fucking important for the other formats.

Nearly a grand, but thats what happens when you Major in Colorless and Minor in Colors.

Dual Majors are for the insane and aspies.

>it's really fucking important for the other formats

standard and modern don't care about it and wizards keeps printing functional reprints of reserved list cards like gaea's cradle for edh players. the only one affected will be legacy, which was meant to die anyways.

>3 mana Gaea's Cradle you can Naturalize
>functional reprint

>functional reprints of reserved list cards like gaea's cradle
That might be their intention, but that is not Gaea's Cradle. It's not even fucking close.

Most of the expensive reserved list cards are just super efficient versions of normal effects. Many cards produce a shitload of mana at once, very few produce as much as Cradle can as early as it can.

Creating slightly worse versions of reserved list cards doesn't work because the original version will still be a very high cost barrier of entry to building the best version of your deck. Even if they could make a card that functions exactly as Cradle does, you'll still want the original because then you can have two.

Jace's Sanctum or Primal Amulet for Melek?

both

Go Amulet, and get better options for scrying.

>duals
they aren't really that important to the format. 5color is a bit harder without them but it is greedy as fuck in the first place so being able to have an ez-pz mana base really shouldn't be a guarantee.

>wheel of fortune
not gonna argue about this. they can always print a commander version tho.

>wheel of misfortune
>2R - sorcerey
>each player discards their hand
>if any player has more than 30 life, each player then draws seven cards

the only issue there is that it creates an identical effect for players who can afford wheel of fortune. the only solution to that would be to create cards that nevermore their respective cards. I.E.:

>wheel of forboding
>2R - sorcery
>cards named "wheel of fortune" cannot be played.
>each player discards their hand, then if there are 3 or more players, each player draws seven cards.