What does Tg feel about PTU?

What does Tg feel about PTU?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=wxvZD6dXLH0
pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=349118
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The sad thing is, I've got at least 3 more screenshots of memey PTU builds like this.

smells like pathfinder

Somehow it's even more autistic than that.

>speed ace
>flying ace
>ace trainer
>duelist
What level is this build intended for?

>there will never be a quick and easy pokemon tabletop game

Would you really want that?
I feel ptu is the perfect crunch

Are there more of these sorts of builds? I've played for a bit, but I've never seen exploits like this before. I just don't have the eye for it.

Its not worth it user just find pokemon that are fun an build your character organically btw raticate is amazing in this system

yeah. It's litterally easier for someone to code a pokemon RPG, than to paly PTU tabletop. Though it is good if you decide to play a mystery dungeon like game.

I feel that it's really good for what it is, but it's cumbersome and impractical to the point that I couldn't imagine playing it for more than a few sessions.

It is a spectacular mess, in a sense though. It NEEDS a special gm who can improv through the bullshit, just say no to player's stupid shit, and still make the whole thing interesting.

His math checks out. You'd need to be level 15 to pull it off at minimum (level 12 to boost both your Focus and Acrobatics/Perception to Master rank, and three more levels to pick up both Tornado Charge and Seize the Moment), but it works.

Math also checks out, though this one isn't quite as great. More of a funny mental image than an effective battle strategy.

My personal experience is that people who want to roleplay as pokemon have little interest in any other type of roleplaying that is not ERP.
Ergo, all people who play PTU are closeted homosexual or transgender furries seeking thrills vicariously, instead of dressing up in elaborate, flamboyant costumes and seeking the sexual encounters they so desperately crave.

and stop inviting me to join your PTU games. I haven't played anything in the genre since Pokemon Blue was released and have no desire to do so.

k

the game im in will be 4 years old next may

Well hey, a PTU thread. I'm gonna hijack this real quick to ask for advice.

So I'm running a campaign for two players, one of which has a Maractus, and the other has a Ponyta. I wanted to make Artificial Selection vs Natural Selection a big theme in the campaign, so both of them were inherited from breeding programs and are slightly altered-- the Maractus was bred to know Rain Dance as if it was an egg move (with the intent that mass-breeding them would help colonize arid environments), while the Ponyta was bred to have a faster overland speed than usual. The players know about this.

I also want to tweak the pokemon in ways the players haven't discovered yet, to stress that artificial selection has both boons and drawbacks. For example, the maractus is botanically sterile-- it can't grow seeds in its arms due to genetic mutation, which bars it from using moves like Pin Missile or making maraca sounds when it shakes its arms. I also wanted to apply the same thought to the ponyta, that coming from a breeding program isn't 100% positive, but I can't think of many ways to do it that wouldn't unfairly nerf the pokemon itself.

What sort of tweaks and mutations, good and bad, do you think could be applied to a Maractus bred for rainfall-generation and a Ponyta bred for its running speed? Or do you have any ideas to insert into a pokemon campaign that revolves around the moral debate between natural and artificial selection?

It NEEDS players who can keep focus while the GM stats up encounters, unless the GM is using computer generated stuff, but even then you're still looking at 5-10 minutes of waiting between "you find..." and learning what you actually encounter.

Other than that I think it would work pretty well for dungeon crawling type stuff. Where the GM doesn't have to worry about grinding/hunting for pokemon most of the time and the maps/encounters can all be pre-planned. But that's only really for combat.

The best options I've found in my spare time.

>Pokemon, Pen and Paper
2d6 simple as fuck system. Pokemon and moves are played by ear. You barely need to know about pokemon to have fun. Basically the opposite of crunch. Story friendly.

>Pokerole
Clean, really nice looking, and uses dice pools. All pokemon, moves, and abilities are unique and in plain text. Both the leveling and tracking of individual pokemon and their trainer is easy. Surprisingly deep if you are the type who wants to be a min-maxing trainer, but with enough limiters built in to prevent breaking the game.

>Pokemon Tabletop United
Ability to ride some pokemon. Lots of details. Easy to lose track of time trying to ingest all the information. Trainers that can fight pokemon on equal terms sometimes. Uses all those dice you've been collecting. Really would work better as a straight up wargame.

>Thinking people RP as pokemon in stock PTU

Should we tell him..?

The first game I ever ran was a PTU game. I liked it for what it was at the time though the sheer amount of bookkeeping is a problem (or a feature, depending on your personalities). Eventually, me and the others in the group who enjoy that type of tactical combat-heavy game kind of outgrew PTU's tactical complexity.

We still liked the premise, of course, so I ran another Pokemon game using a stripped down engine based loosely on PTU and its ideological predecessor 4e, where all Features/Edges were homebrewed, did some streamlining for stats and progression, and removed trainer combat as a function (it made sense with the premise). It went super well, though the game sadly died for unrelated reasons.

So I guess my takeaway is: It's very good at what it does, especially for an introductory level, if you can handle the bookkeeping. People who love really intricate combat situations will outgrow it, but even then it's good for 2 or 3 games with such a crowd, I think.

Assuming the appearance of the pokemon is changed to match their modifications. To represent the speed of ponyta it's likely to have shorter flames everywhere but the legs as the energy is being directed more efficiently in the breed. This may effect the moveset of the pokemon by learning stomp, bounce, agility and the like at earlier levels while learning non-leg based fire moves at later levels or only through TM use. With few STAB moves at first it'd be hard going but eventually the pokemon would be stronger than a wild caught.

I don't know enough about cacti to weigh in on the other one. I think too much water can kill them though I could be wrong about that.

In terms of natural and artificial selection, pokemon is all about artificial selection. From gyms to breeding they seem all about making monsters as big and devastating as possible. Questions then arise. Is it really okay to release a pokemon? Would a trainer pokemon be able to survive in the wild? Is pit battling a useful tool when foraging and fleeing is how most other pokemon spend their lives? How do domesticated pokemon fit into all this? When a pig pokemon bred to be large and docile mates with its small, tusked, feral relative how does the populous react to an overgrown feral boar pokemon breeding out of control and eating or attacking all it sees?

Pokemon Master Trainer is a thing, if that counts.

PTU means? With your own words

Pokemon tabletop united

m.youtube.com/watch?v=wxvZD6dXLH0

You be you, man.

Another one of my favorite memes is the ol Stormbringer

Pick up the Demoralize edge, which will be the core component of this build

You take 4 Features into Martial Artist, for the base class and Guts ability, and 3 ranks of Martial Training for Storm Throw

You take 6 Features into Tumbler, 5 of them are just to qualify for the capstone of Burst of Speed

Dip a single Feature into Marksman for Sniper
Pick up Signature Move to turn Storm Throw into an At-Will, Type Expertise Fighting to increase its damage base, and Multi-Tasking for more action economy

Now, whenever you hit somebody with a Storm Throw, they become vulnerable due to it being an automatic critical hit on-hit thanks to Demoralize.
Storm throw has a base Accuracy Check of just 2, being vulnerable means the enemy can't apply any form of evasion. The only way you can miss Storm Throw anymore is by rolling a natural 1. Every Storm Throw you is a triple crit, thanks to the Marksman level giving us Sniper.

And if you want something hella dead, you Storm Throw into Multi-Tasking into Storm Throw into Burst of Speed into Storm Throw into Multi-Tasking into Storm Throw again. 4 Storm Throws in a row at Damage Base 8 that apply that Damage Base three times in a row, each.

Hmmmm

What is Pokemon Pen & Paper or Pokerole?

Besides, PTU is getting remade to be simpler.

So many one-hit KOs from wild Raticates in Gen 1 and 2...

>Remade to be simpler
I'm a little disappointed. I've been enjoying keeping a little faux-spreadsheet for breeding and for when we do time-skips so I can work out the best way to split training xp/day.

In my hometown, the first wave of the pokemon craze was the last hurrah for most of the suburban comic/games retailers. They had shoved all the CCGs off the shelf for Pokemon cards, the RPG and assorted anime goods all changed to pokemon, and even the bread-and-butter comics reduced to less then half in order to sell more pokemon. When the bubble burst and they weren't raking in cash from waves of moms anymore, they found their former clientele had been driven downtown to get what they were after, and weren't coming back after finding better selections.

Though it probably wasn't the cause, I'm pretty sure that Pokemon was the straw that broke the camels back and killed off a lot of the accessible shops I'd frequented in grade school, as well as a number of CCGs I used to buy. Long story short, I've a long-standing grudge against the franchise.

tl;dr: Not positively, irrespective of whether or not Veeky Forums put a good effort into making their homebrew.

pta/ptu have poisoned the well for pokemon tabletop stuff.

pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=349118

>Pokemon and moves are played by ear
that's not correct though? pokemon are statted out up to gen 6 and moves are one of the biggest parts of the system.

Poison is a very strong accusation

it's true. they are the 3rd/pathfinder of pokemon tabletop.

When 2.0 coning out? It's been two years.

No one answers questions like they're on Jeopardy, so I'll assume you're linking wrong. I'd post the Pokerole or PP&P pdf's here to browse, but the file sizes are too large. They are, however, distributed openly by the fans that made the projects so use Google, you lazy ponce.

Child, look here This system is built in such a way you could play fucking Monster Rancher, Digimon, Ghost Clock, and Devi Kids all at the same time and no one could tell the difference.

i've DMd the system. you are wrong.

Excerpt from the book, child.

Describing Attacks
When describing attacks for wild Pokémon, the Game Master needs merely
to describe what the Pokémon are doing in the world. For trainers, the Game
Master should use their knowledge of Pokémon and announce that the
Pokémon is using an appropriately corresponding move. For example, if a
Pokémon is using a special water attack, with the effect inaccurate attack from
the effect table, the Game Master should describe that as Hydro Pump. If you
can’t think of a name for a move, make up an appropriate sounding one. For
example, a special dark type attack with the charge attack effect might be
called dark hyper beam or ultimate dark pulse or something like that.

that's for wild pokemon and npc trainers. both of which still use pokemon specific mechanics.

Somehow I still feel like we are talking about different books.

You're telling me it would be impossible to add this smug bastard into the game and claim he is a pokemon from some far off region without having to do tons of paperwork. While I claim all he needs is a handful of stats and an appropriate type so the player/trainer can use their boons and such to qualify him for moves and shit.

you could do the same for literally anything, you could say goku is a pokemon from a far off region. but they would still be essentially pokemon using pokemon inspired mechanics.

i could add that to battletech but it wouldn't matter because it would be using rules simulating giant robots.

in a literal sense what you are saying is correct. but what you are saying is meaningless white noise and doesn't really help in explaining what the system could do.

Goku looks nothing like a pokemon. Some of his friends do, but not him. Also, you don't get more XP for losing fights instead of winning them. I have no idea what you are arguing for here.

What are you adding to battletech: Goku or duckthing? It'd be a stretch playing mecha with Pokemon Pen and Paper as the base though Zoids is a maybe.

My point. What the system could do is be a 2d6 with occasional coin-flip as it is. It's not that complex, hence why I called it a story friendly.

C O N T E X T C L U E S
O
N
T
E
X
T

C
L
U
E
S

Are you even old enough to post here?

>Nobody answers questions like they are on Jeopardy

Implying I'm not.

But yeah I've ran a few sessions of P:P&P and run Pokerole regularly on roll 20, pretty easy to pick and play, totally recommended.

Noted

Personally I rather enjoy PTU and all its crunch, despite how many people feel about all the paperwork.

I just really like the way the class system works, where multiclassing is standard rather than an awkward option shoehorned in. It makes me want to run a kind of standard fantasy game using PTU, with pokemon standing in as monsters.

Its very doable if you have a group for it do it!

It's so annoyingly gamey it may as well be on a console.

Why they thought there should be a shit ton of classes for a Pokemon game is beyond

Call me a weirdo but I love super-gamey systems with lots of crunch. I'm personally worried about the devs planning to simplify the system, because as clunky as it is they might make the system bland in the newer version if they take out TOO much crunch.
I miss my group's campaign, 2.0 will probably be out before it leaves hiatus if it ever does.

Worst comes to worst you can always just keep playing with 1.05
Personally I agree, and really enjoy the gamey bits. That said I think it would be pretty cool if someone made an integrated RPG you could use to run your PTU battles.

Exactly how are you gwtting +9 evasion? Max evasion is +9, but only 6 can come from stats.

I'm not actually sure what it wants to do.

Does it want to simulate the vidya? Well, then, it deviates from it too much in unexpected places for anyone who has vidya knowledge to actually use any of that. Types don't always work right, items don't do what you expect, and don't get me started on what the fuck they did with berries. That was just fucking WEIRD.

Does it want to do the anime? Well, then, it should try not being so damn crunchy and focused on the elements that come from the vidya.

Does it want to do its own thing? It seems like it sort of wants to do its own thing, but what it's doing is just mostly kind of... bad. Classes are unblanaced as hell, almost everything is a trap option, the game seems like it goes out of its way to make more work for you... really, I can't think of a single thing the game actually does right.

Of course, I could be misremembering. I think I can be forgiven, however, since the core rulebook--that's WITHOUT the Pokedex--is over 500 pages long. Over 500 pages of poorly-formatted bullshit that puts some important info in charts, some in descriptions, and some in little side-blurbs which in any other book would be just for clarification and tips. The whole thing is bloated because they wanted to put in every move, every ability, every EVERYTHING, and then the game expects you to read it all cover to cover, since, as I said before, random shit will be changed here and there.

If I had one complaint, though, that really summarized everything wrong with this game, it would be the wound system. Hit under a certain % damage, get a wound. That makes your healing items less effective. Yes, the moment you actually need to use healing items, they get less effective. This was apparently done because, in gym battles and the like, players would use healing items to keep their pokemon from fainting so that they wouldn't lose. They wanted to solve the problem of... players using items for what they're intended for.

The injury system doesnt work that way at all. In no way does it stop your healing from healing what it would.

Addionally i disagree with thw accusation of trap options. Pretty much every class has its niche, and does it pretty well. The only way i can see somwthing being a 'trap' option is if you pick up a trainer combat class in a league fight only campaign. At which point you should have probably talked with your GM about the tone and expectations of the game.

You cant take extra actions if you've already forfieted your following turns via interrupts and priority(advanced) moves, so the latter half of that build doesnt work. Devs have addressed these on the forums before.

Ironically stupid is still stupid

First, it is an absolute hot mess that needs a dedicated and talented gm to run it, since the game is full of grey areas, and trivial to break open.
With that said, it's a lovely system for what it does. It somehow manages to capture the feel of the show, pack it with enough features of the game, glaze it with some tabletop goodness, and the resulting invention doesn't just instantly collapse. It simultaneously juggles enough small rules to make the most sourcebook obsessed munchkin pause.
And most of all, it's actually pretty fun, in reasonable doses.

The game does rely pretty heavily on role play to carry it though, and it requires patience.

I will say, the system is so built to add new stuff that it is easily one of the most adaptable tabletop games out there.

>The injury system doesnt work that way at all. In no way does it stop your healing from healing what it would.
Okay. Sure, I misremembered it. Here, let me redownload this shit, open it, and find the original actual rule.
>For each Injury a Pokémon or Trainer has, their Maximum Hit Points are reduced by 1/10th.
>Whenever a Trainer or Pokémon has 5 or more injuries, they are considered Heavily Injured. Whenever a Heavily Injured Trainer or Pokémon takes a Standard Action during combat, or takes Damage from an attack, they lose Hit Points equal to the number of Injuries they currently have.
What it actually does is even worse. Rather than just being able to use better healing items to get back to full health, you're permanently fucked until you spend time to go back to the Pokemon Center or use bandages. And if you're heavily injured you take damage for doing anything. Because reasons. Because what everyone wants out of a Pokemon game is being forced to stop battling and use extra resources or time go deal with the system's way of making you stop doing the thing that people want to do in Pokemon.

As for what you say about there not being trap options... have you even fucking read the book? Have you looked at the mechanics? Have you played the game? I don't know how someone can actually do any of these things and come back saying "nope, no trap options here, not a single one."

Pray tell where is a trap class?

Core book only

Single classes? No, it's not single classes that are the traps, usually. It's the combinations. Now, I really don't want to comb through every single combination of classes to point out which ones will fuck you and in what manner (nor would I ever have the time and space to, considering how many fucking classes they put in it), but classes are far from the only way the game has trap options. For example, I'd like to invite you to consider what happens if you ever decide not to invest in Command.

You have to work harder with your pokemon by doing more battles instead of just training

Is there a Pokemon tabletop RPG where Pokemon and humans don't fight each other?

My wife wants me to run a Pokemon RPG but she doesn't like the idea of human-on-Pokemon violence.

The injury sysyem is in place to put limits on how long you can push yourself and your pokemon repeatedly. You convienently left out the method of how you get injuries, which is by taking hits that deal more than 50% of your max health, or by your HP crossing thresholds spaced at 50% max hp increments down to -150%. The only way you can even get to 5+ injuries (outside of very narrow abilities and items) is by taking huge hits repeatedly, coupled with aggesive healing to stay conscious. So yeah, I'd say if you over rely on specific pokemon or pick the wrong fights REPEATEDLY without toning it back, you deserve a penalty to take standard actions.

Fyi, I've been running the system for 3 years now in a single, continuous campaign. So I'd say I've read the book.

>never invest command
So long as you arn't a massive prick to your pokemon, you won't have much need to force them to obey. From training you miss out on 10-20exp per session, when pokemon levels edge up on 100exp apart by lv20 or so? This -might- amount to around 3 levels difference between ypur pokes and an ally's who went deep into command (and those few stat points really dont mean much, and mentors can throw around any moves you wpuld have missed). And you do realize the average exerience for a given encounter tends to level multiple pokemon at least once each? Or have you not read the book?

And while im not that user you replied to, until you actually give an example of a 'trap combo', everything you critisize just amounts to a subjective dislike of the system. Which is fine so long as you dont assert it as fact.

Ive run ptu without the trainer combat stuff and it works just fine. Maybe the team rocket equivilant might, buy thats pretty standard if the gm bases off the games. If even thats too far, just tlak to whoever runs that youd tather not have that aspect.

The system doesnt assume the PC party have a 'meat wall' like how tradional D&D games do, just some team support classes like mentor or cheerleader is all you realistically need. Even then there are guidelines for having NPC mentor/movetutor types to cover those services in the section about running the game.

I don't think you even realize the fucking gravity of the implications of that. If you have to battle more, that means you have to go split from the party and do your own thing to keep up. Yeah, great system. Everyone will really appreciate you taking the GM's attention away to go have your own battles because you didn't invest in Command. In oder to keep up, the guy who didn't invest in Command has to fucking GRIND, on his own without getting the rest of the party involved, in order to maintain balance. And if things don't stay balanced, things get fucky FAST. You can't just have an RPG where everyone is different levels and expect it to go smoothly.

Here let me anticipate a couple defenses:
>but the game lets you do a sorts of things, so you don't have to be balanced since everyone has their own goals
So why is the party together? Please, tell me, how is this game going to even work right if everyone spends the entire time doing their own thing? Are you going to constantly split the party and only meet up when it's time to move on?
>if you want to stay at the same power level, then just make everyone have the same Command stat
Okay idea, provided you actually know to do this ahead of time. If you don't know ahead of time, you don't know to do it. Which is what we call a trap option.

Enduring Soul (Whatever the one that lets you ignore HP base relation is named) has that ability up front, but then everything else the class offers is utter dogshit.
A few of the Martial Artist styles are just bad.
The Roughneck sets out trying to be a hybrid Martial Artist/Provocateur, but just manages to be bad at both.
The Type, Attribute, and Stat Aces are hideously balanced, with some of them broken enough to take on a character who doesn't give a single shit about that category they are supposedly an Ace in, and others not worth taking if you make a character that only does that one thing.
Taskmaster is a class literally built for only enemies to use, since the injury inflicting effects mean you cannot fight for more than a battle or two per 'mon. No problem for a bad guy, but if a player takes it, it further exacerbates the problem with injuries.
There is an entire array of "healslut" esque classes that basically guarantee your character will never do anything exciting ever. Classes like Chef, most Researchers, Fashionistas, and so on.

On the other hand, classes like Warper, Tumbler, and Hex Maniac are beneficial to splash on literally any character.

I mean, does the party really NEED to be all the same level? Is it not concievable that a given party will have one guy dedicated as fuck to raising his pogeymans to be the very best, and another who just wants to become a a master chef and kickboxer, and just has Pokemon on him so he doesn't die in the woods?

As long as you stay within 4 to 5 levels of each other your fine it wont be too fuckey
Also whats wrong with evreyone having different goals? As long as you travel with each other, support each other, and work together on a larger goal like i dunno meeting the elite 4 or finding a legendary

>by taking hits that deal more than 50% of your max health, or by your HP crossing thresholds spaced at 50% max hp increments down to -150%
I don't know about you, but under 50% is exactly where I decide it's about time to start thinking about healing. And getting brought under 50% HP is going to be happening a lot at early levels. And since injuries stick after battles, you don't have to even keep doing this in one battle--let's say you're fighting several Pokemon in a row. You stack up injuries fast.
>just go back to the Pokemon Center lol
And interrupt play in order to deal with the system's bullshit.
>just use bandages lol
So I have to spend extra money to buy the items that actually make my healing items worthwhile.

>The injury sysyem is in place to put limits on how long you can push yourself and your pokemon repeatedly.
So the points I raised still stand. The game is still asking you to spend extra time and game-money in order to deal with what the designers put in place specifically to stop you from playing the game, purely for the purpose of that they just felt like it was a great idea to stop play for a while.

>Fyi, I've been running the system for 3 years now in a single, continuous campaign. So I'd say I've read the book.
I honestly feel sorry for both you and your players.

On enduring soul the cap stone is huge. Being able to give all of your pokemon endure + without losing a move slot is a game changer. Also a static +2 to all of your save checks can make or break combat. Oh and dont forget being able to ignore status effects

The injury system is I feel more in place to take down super tanks. Take a victreebel give it a leftovers use ingrain and toss in some giga drains have fun taking it down without injuries

So... they needed a system to deal with tanks, so they made something which fucks over low-HP Pokemon easily and primarily serves to halt play and waste resources for everybody? What?

It makes fragile Pokemon FRAGILE and adds a way of various"wearing down" Pokemon outside of standard HP, yes, or at least that's my understanding.

Playing the game, even with most of the buffs to xp training it's only putting most of my pokemon up maybe a level or two, and lets me keep them more evenly levelled compared to others.

The real thing that's a noticable impact is Ace Trainers trained stat, making my heavy hitters faster than they should be, and my heavy-heavy hitters hit even harder than they should be.

(granted we are using a faster xp gain calculation because the game was only supposed to go while the 5e game was on hiatus, so after about pokemon level 15 a single fight was usually worth more than training, so take my anecdotal evidence with a little bit of salt).

Just an idea, maybe it's to mechanically advise you shouldn't be fighting a bunch of pokemon in a row with very young low level pokemon in the first place? The same way you wouldn't fight a dragon if you just picked up a spear and a pot for a helmet before declaring "i'm going to be an adventurer".

Seems like a basic design decision that higher levels imply more time away from civilisation, and relying on self-sufficiency where you are more capable of dealing with injuries. (granted, I don't think my trainer has been without injury more than a couple times in the entire campaign so far).

>Just an idea, maybe it's to mechanically advise you shouldn't be fighting a bunch of pokemon in a row with very young low level pokemon in the first place?
No, no, I get that, it's just... I don't get why this game is trying so hard to get people to stop playing it. HP is your limiter, usually, and the purpose of potions is to make you able to stay up longer in a battle or to stand multiple battles. The designers of PTU put in the HP system, then put in the potion system that exists to let you work around the HP system, but then added an injury system to neutralize the potion system, then put in yet another layer of limited items to bypass the injury system. Why?

>The same way you wouldn't fight a dragon if you just picked up a spear and a pot for a helmet before declaring "i'm going to be an adventurer".
This is more like "You're a novice adventurer, so go kill some rats. But the rats might hurt you, so here are some healing tonics. But for some reason every single rat in the known universe has cursed teeth, and if they bite you too many times, you'll get cursed and some of your vital essense will be drained as long as the curse remains, so make sure to either come back to the shrine to get that lifted or take along some holy water. Also you're on an adventure so your supplies will be limited and you'll be travelling notable distances between shrines. By the way, remember to fight a lot of rats."

>Chef, fashonista and researchers mean you cant do anything else.
Do you really just cherry pick this hard? You realize you can dip into those classes, and nothing stops you from taking those and other things? You get enough skill ups to have 2 or 3 different skills you invest heavily in, which means you wont be restricted too much about what else you can take.
>rest of enduring soul is bad.
Free hit after being KO'd, edure+ on everything without taking a move slot, crit/status negation, +2 to saves, and feats that remove practically all the downsides to takong a breather. Yep, clearly bad.
>taskmaster is baddies only
Themewise, maybe. But most hits in this system are going to do close to 20% your max hp, so stacking 1 injury just to start off hardend is fine. Addionally the second feature lets you remove several injuries from all your pokes, so if you need the extra hp, you have it. If youre in a particularly lethal campaign/setting, you could easily take it and just let yhe injuries come naturally. And 1-2 fights per day doesnt mean much when you have 6 pokemon and allies to help out.

The idea isnt to get you to stop playing, its to change gears. Yeah, no shit after 3 fights in a row as a martial artist youre gonna be spent for the day if youre constantly out there taking hits. Same goes for any one of your individual mons. You gotta realize you have the option to 'let the pokemon handle this one' and 'let a different pokemon handle this one'. If youre traveling through caves and your group only has 3 water mons between you, thats probably your limiting factor, and at some point you either need to lay off the fights, or be more desicive about the ones you pick.

Because without injuries there's very little risk. In a party of three players you have potentially 21 different hp bars that your GM has to whittle down. Without injuries capping how much you can heal back it'll become really hard to damage the party and make them feel like they're in danger. Plus you never even take more than one or two injuries in practice, so it's not like you get locked out of half your hit points after every battle.

How much hacking would it take to run a Pokemon game in Fate Core?

For real though raticate is really strong in ptu good movement good movepool can track also gains pickup its boss

Pickup is overpowered, especially if you have more than one pokemon with it.
I had another player who managed to find two masterballs.

Gm decides what item you find after you determine the type of item. Even then theres noting saying they need to hold tight to the given table.

So what do you all do for a story to your games? Do you just do the 8 gym run and league? I've been thinking about running this but I'd rather not do that since it feels too much like the video game.

Enemy team(s) work as a main plot, while ypu can always do side plots at various towns and other such npcs. You PC's having their own initative is great here too. Want to tame a psuedo for your team? Gotta dive deep in some ruins. Want to learn more about these weird elementalist pkwers you got? Take a trip here and talk to them.

Like for kanto you have a sprinkling of run ins with rockets, or deal with the fallout of them being assholes somewhere. Leads up to a huge attack on silph co thats largely out of place with how theyve been acting up to that point, preferring to extort people and skim off the top. After that point it becomes a search for answers as to why they made such a bold move and rounding up the groups that didnt report to the silph takeover. End off with a huge tournement against all the powerful NPCs theyve met along the way, their rivals, and each other. Top 8 or so win copeous amounts of money and get the honor to face the elite four and champion.