/l5rg/ - Legend of the Five Rings General

mediafire.com/folder/c7tfqff9sqp71/L5R
>lots of stuff from 4e and previous editions

mediafire.com/folder/xpa768hxwcezl/RPG#2nbbe1kyny4qo
>some other 4e stuff can be found here (9th link from the top)

Rulebooks:
onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AJzcaMoaAKE8_Ao&id=C15898E4CDDAB251!141&cid=C15898E4CDDAB251

What's the biggest divergence from main setting in your game?
And similarly, what homebrewed rules, new or changed, do you use?

Pic very related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=k5hWWe-ts2s
fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/9/26/legend-of-the-five-rings-rpg-beta/
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>What's the biggest divergence from main setting in your game? And similarly, what homebrewed rules, new or changed, do you use?

Guns aren't banned in the empire. We use the rules in Imperial Histories 2, except reloading only takes one complex action, a simple action if you have rank 5 in the skill.

How does Rokugan feel about shugenja budding themselves before a contest? Like, if I use a spell to boost my intelligence before a shogi match, am I cheating or am I just using the gift given to me by the heavens?

>budding
*buffing
Also, shit, didn't mean to link to that post but Veeky Forums isn't letting me delete my post on phone, so fuck.

youtube.com/watch?v=k5hWWe-ts2s

2/3 links are still shite.

>How does Rokugan feel about shugenja budding themselves before a contest?
If it's not outright illegal, or illegal within the contest itself, then it's heavily frowned on.

Unless it's specifically a magic contest, you're cheating.

So you're saying that she's...a tsunarai.

Contests are about how good you are, not how good the kami are.

What shugenja school has the most "wtf, how are you getting along if you act like that?" relationship with the kami?

What clan is Tomoko?

What would be an example of a gaijin name in l5r?

Anything not Japanese

Biggest divergence in our game starts with Toturi. We have him establishing a shogunate rather than becoming emperor.

Also more minor clans, and them playing a bigger role in the empire. They can't compete with a great clan, but they're important enough to be allies and they don't have that weird Wickism where all of them are perpetually on the edge of falling apart and they can never do anything that matters, ever.

And we have the Kolat fracturing early in its history. Lots of little Kolat gangs that are basically just organized crime that claim a religious motivation. Some of them manage to have some of the Kolat techniques, others don't. They all acknowledge that they're supposed to be unified in principle, but they're separate in practice.

It's the Unicorn one for sure. The entire reason they had to go the looking way around to get back into Rokugan was that they pissed off the kami and caused an earthquake that sealed the pass they used to leave, and they had originally developed a way to force the kami into acting, which lead to even more serious problems. The meishodo thing is just the icing on a tall cake made of angry kami.

Agasha family, so Dragon/Phoenix, depending on the era.

That is not what Meishodo is at all. Old L5R Meishodo is speaking the name of something at creation and channeling that power through an amulet. In Nu5R it is apparently is binding Jinn into the amulets and forcing the Jinn to do the caster's bidding. And Jinn are not Kami they are spirits of a completely different type.

Jani

If a wife wants to have a harem can she pass them off as concubines of her husband? (Assuming the husband is ok with her collecting women)

Fuck off ERPer.

Sure, everyone needs a hobby.
>doesn't know about L5R's history of ERP

Why the hell are you even asking? As if we tell you "no, she can't do that, that does not work in any way, shape or form" that's going to stop you.

>What's the biggest divergence from main setting in your game?

Instead of being a submissive weirdo, Amaterasu kicked the living shit out of Onnotangu when the latter tried to eat their children.

>And similarly, what homebrewed rules, new or changed, do you use?

The combat system is action point based. That's the main rule change, everything else (slightly changed secondary attributes, revised special abilities) are tied to that.

It's more that I'm wondering how much of a scandal it would be.

My character is big on appearances and doesn't care if his wife is a raging dyke as long as it's kept under wraps and he still benefits from the political connections of the marriage.

Did you lift the action point system from OaTS or some other system?

>raging dyke wife

So a matsu berserker?

That's generally how marriages go. As long as it's not "public" everyone is saintly and devoted to their spouse even when everyone knows they're sleeping around.

Doesn't change the fact that they've repeatedly angered the kami en masse through the eras.

Not that kind of raging.

Thanks.

>Tanaka-san, give these gaijin a volley.

Fully homebrewed.

Please post the home brew rules, or a link to a pastebin containing said rules.

Is chikusho an invective or curse in L5r?

Here it comes. Prepare for rage, it mentions their shitty custom dice.

fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/9/26/legend-of-the-five-rings-rpg-beta/

I hope that at least they're the custom dice from Gensys so you don't have to get both.

Shrug, I wasn't expecting R&K anyway. If it's bad we'll just steal the fluff and run it in whatever system we like.

Lets hope they only have a couple of die and faces the. Biggest problem I've read and seen (haven't played any of their RPGs) is that they have to many fucking dice and different faces on them.

Would still prefer R&K.

Custom dice are a complete non-starter for me.

I believe that strong narrative is not mutually exclusive with a mechanically dense system. Am I wrong?

>Prepare for rage
No rage ... just an old Dragon Enlightenment player who can't find something to throw money at FFG for.

You're right, but it's a rare position. There's this persistent belief among a lot of RPG people that that it's inherently bad and anti-narrative to care about mechanics. I don't understand it at all, but I see it a lot.

Mustache

Having played their star wars game, I feel like it supports narrative just fine.

I'm more worried about how they'll implement Schools. Those class tree things are the most obvious choice, but the secondary mechanics around them where you can freely mix and match back and forth at will wouldn't sit right with me.

Is the tech level for L5R just generic fuedal or are there tanegashima ashigaru?

Guns are forbidden because gaijin once kinda blew up an Emperor with cannon fire. Gunpowder is still experimented with in secret, but it's crude.

I've never seen any legitimate criticism for the custom dice. It's usually just people bitching about their existence, without ever explaining why they think they're bad.

>Custom dice mechanics enable players to contribute to the unfolding story and decide whether their character succeeds, by how much, and how much it will cost them.

Is it this?

You won't be missed.

I see a civil war in my group developing from this revelation.

I'm going to give it a chance.

I'm intrigued with the choice between emotions/desires and honor/duty being a tangible game mechanic and not just largely nebulous points. (Assuming I'm reading into this correctly.) But I'm a little worried about this "elemental approaches" idea. If it's anything like FAE's Approaches, which it sounds an awful lot like, it'll end up being too easy to game the system and make a one-approach character who can't fail at anything.

But we'll see when that beta drops.

What are some contests a Shugenja would compete in?

The only legit argument I saw was that someone pointed out that the balance goes completely overboard the moment characters get around midlevel in the SW rpg.
The issue most of us have, is that R&K is a goddamn good system that we have come to love over the years. I personally consider it one of the best systems on the market.

My issue with the custom dice was purely that they were impossible to find for a fair price in the country I live in. But then online rollers started showing up so it became a non-issue.

I feel like the biggest criticism that applies here is the sheer unnecessary of it all. The custom dice system already feels like it's more trouble than it's worth, but at least with new systems, it's somewhat understandable. When you already have a system like R&K that works well, replacing it with something more convoluted strikes me as a decision motivated entirely by lazy design at best, and greedy design at worst.

>Making a whole new system is lazy but not using an already existing system
Are you listening to yourself?

Just be honest and admit change scares you.

something chinese, mongolian or korean is a good fit for l5r gaijin names

Spellcasting, and then literally anything a courtier competes in. Some would also compete in bushi contests, but iaijutsu is less likely than other types of competition.

They aren't making a whole new system, they're using their star wars one."
You seriously sound like an FFG shill, but you're probably just a troll.

i actually like this dice system for star wars ffg but its FAR inferior to roll and keep for me.

well, l5r 4th ed is complete so i can safely ignore the shit out of this new edition.

Not everyone who disagrees with you is a shill or a troll. Especially when you say stupid contradictory bullshit.

It's ok to want to have kept R&K, it's ok to not like FFG's narrative dice system, it's ok to not like change, but your argument that using a different system is "lazy" and "greedy" is just complete and utter nonsense.

What I'm saying is that the first time they used the custom dice, it was for a completely new system. Now, they're trying to jam that system into everything they make simply because it's, for lack of a better phrase, the "in-house engine". You seem weirdly hostile about the idea that you might be wrong. Is everything going ok in your life?

Why wouldn't a company use their in-house engine?

A lot of Unicorn, and some Dragon, I believe, have Korean, Chinese, and Mongolian names though.

Using a system they already had that also happens to sell them a lot of low-cost, high profit plastic is both lazy and greedy.
Your constant personal attacks do nothing to support your case, either.

>You seem weirdly hostile about the idea that you might be wrong
The pot calls the kettle black.

Because they bought and own full rights to the engine that was already deeply attached to the game they're putting out? A game that has a history of terrible conversions to other systems that most of its potential players are well aware of, I might add.

>Your constant personal attacks do nothing to support your case, either.

>You seriously sound like an FFG shill, but you're probably just a troll.

You can't play that game when you started it.

>you started it
>Just be honest and admit change scares you.
Nah.

Arabic (Burning Sands), Indian (Ivory Kingdoms), or Roman (Yodotai) would be fine

Also, have you considered the fact that there's more than one of us that disagrees with you?

Keep in mind it doesn't have to be an actual name, it can be any word. No one in rokugan is gonna know the difference.

Eh, L5R's history with having one great system attached to its legacy then having a shitty d20 version everyone would rather ignore existed is almost exactly the same as what happened to Star Wars. And FFG's SW RPG is a successful game.

FFG has a 50/50 track record for porting games into their system. WFRP was a flop and SW was a success.

Lets see what neo-L5R actually looks like before we judge it, yeah?

Have you?

The thing is, we already know what it will look like. It will look like Genesys, which looks like Star Wars.

I get that FFG wants to make FFG L5R and leave their mark. It is a business decision too to hold RnK, lest someone buys it to compete with FFG by making a successor to L5R where the setting is different but the system is the same.

Which is steaming pile of shit.

Oh I wasn't aware SW had a system based around elemental approaches that affects rolls.

>the setting is different but the system is the same.
Isn't that 7th Sea?

I almost forgot about 7th Sea. I was thinking more along the line of direct competition.

7th Sea 1e is fairly different then L5R in play. The wounds, repartee, and drama systems alone make it almost a different game. 7th 2e is not Roll and Keep at all despite Wick calling it the same thing.

Isn't that also Legends of the Burning Sand?

LotBS is the same world as L5R, just a different area.

And no, 7th Sea is not in the same world as L5R before anyone asks.

No, I mean the system. I'm pretty sure Burning Sands is still R&K.

Gentlemen, have no fear. We, like Bethesda game modders, will fix L5R.

I honestly find it hilarious grognards are so mad about the new system they haven't even seen yet.

Stay mad grognards, it's gonna be cute watching you mumble "muh R&K" as L5R grows and evolves without you.

Trying too hard.

Yeah it's still R&K, it's also technically still L5R, it's just north of Rokugan.

>Being this mad.

What's wrong with Roll and Keep?

Still trying too hard. You need to be subtle with the bait.

Please don't charge for errata.

He's right though, FFG's got a much bigger community than Veeky Forums will ever give it credit for. L5R is going to be a success, the community is going to grow exponentially, and R&K grognards will be stuck mumbling about custom dice and making R&K great again while no one listens because they're too busy having fun.

FFG has fucked up before, and most likely will again. Plenty of people dislike the custom dice system, for many reasons.

I understood that reference.

>FFG has fucked up before, and most likely will again.
Their track record so far shows they at least learned from most of their mistakes. Like how WFRP 3e was a disaster but the SW RPG grew out of the same system and is actually decent.

>Plenty of people dislike the custom dice system, for many reasons.
Lots more people also like the custom dice, for many reasons. They're a smash hit whether we like them or not, and are making FFG money hand over fist. They're not going anywhere any time soon.

Why was WFRP 3e a disaster? I expected it to be a home run. A done deal. With the WFRP fans and the existing 40K rpg players and the players of the various FFG games?

>Lots more people also like the custom dice, for many reasons.
Literally unquantifiable.

The presentation was too boardgamey. Even if it didn't need the fancy bits and gubbins, that's the impression most people got.

It was early into FFG's foray into making their own completely different system (the 40k RPGs used something a lot closer to other warhammer RPGs), and they didn't have all the kinks of the narrative dice system worked out, and how you're supposed to interpret dice results confused a lot of people. It also didn't help that the heroic leaning system was (arguably) not that compatible with WF's grimdark and dreary setting, and the game relied too much on peripherals, not just custom dice but tons of other shit that made it look more like a board game, that caused the core game alone to be 200 fuckin' dollars.

So when Star Wars came along, they scrapped the peripherals, they had a more compatible setting, and they worked out a lot of kinks in the narrative system and made dice results a lot more clear. They clearly learned from WFRP 3e and produced a better game.