Devas vs. Aasimars

Simple enough; which do you prefer? Aasimars, the old-school "distant descendant of angelic/mortal interbreeding? Or Devas, 4e's "angels who chose to become tied to the mortal world because they thought it was fascinating"?

Other urls found in this thread:

lomion.de/cmm/aasimar.php
lomion.de/cmm/tiefling.php
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The second.
Everything resulting from "X dicked Y" gets an eyeroll from me.

>as a PC?
assimar
>as an NPC?
assimar
>as a villain?
assimar
>as a plot device?
deva

Personally, I preferred the Devas.

I won't stoop to making fun of the Aasimar's name, because honestly it never bothered me, but aasimar lore was just... kind of boring. It's practically a find & replace of the tiefling lore, swapping fiends for celestials, with a dash of mary sue "I'm so good and holy and that means I'm the prettiest little snowflake in the room".

Even beyond that, I honestly kind of agreed with the whole "Ave Maria problem" in WP: R&C.

Devas, though, are something more than just Good Counterpart Tieflings. They're angels who forsook the heavenly realms because the mortal world was fascinating to them; that's pretty deep as it is, but their Ecology article in Dragon #374 really fleshes them out. The constant cycle of lives, the need to battle mortal temptations lest they succumb to evil and become rakshasa, I just found it inspiring.

I don't like either. Devas can be used extremely rarely, mostly for PLOT reasons, but other than that, I hate their concept if they're on anything more than an individual or two in the entire setting.

assimar are like a misscariage
>it's a tragedy when you see one but you have to make the best of it
deva are like an abortion
>nobody wants one, but they are sometimes necessary

I like both for different reasons.

Aasimar I like to use as demigods, being a fourth or eighth divine because I really like the concept of demigods. Karna, Herakles, Gilgamesh, etc. I like making them look mostly human with at most a few unnatural characteristics.

Deva I like due to their whole reincarnation shtick. They can have a feeling of being ancient and connected to old history without having to be level 20. I played as a Deva wizard once who recognized some of the ancient ruins the party visited because he had been there in a past life. It was cool. Pic barely related.

Honestly, I'm surprised there aren't more people here defending aasimars on the grounds of "they were here first!" if nothing else.

Or is it just that nobody cares about aasimar because tieflings are inherently more interesting?

Seriously, can I get some user to share a side-by-side "comparison" pic of DiTerlizzi's Aasimar & Tiefling? You can find them both here:

lomion.de/cmm/aasimar.php
lomion.de/cmm/tiefling.php

The DiTerlizzi Planescape art is the only good thing about old school Aasimar - well, unless you are a despicable human being and also like them for some weird 3.x rule shenanigan. Deva are a lot more interesting to actually use in a setting.

Both since I play PF and it has notDevas called Samsarans and Aasimars.

Samsarans/Devas fill a neat niche that aasimar don't, and have very different themes from aasimar. The reverse is also true. Having a race of humans with angelic ancestry complements tieflings and the other planetouched. It would be rather weird for all other energies to create altered humans, except holy.

On the other hand, Devas provide a bunch of interesting lore and potential for worldbuilding. Servants of a god who incarnated into mortal bodies to better contemplate mortality and to live this simple existence are inherently interesting.

Fuck DiTerlizzi, he was a hack and his art was shit.

>distant descendant of angelic/mortal interbreeding
That's not what aasimar are

>lomion.de/cmm/aasimar.php
>Just like tieflings, aasimar are plane-touched creatures that can’t quite be called human. In their veins flows the blood of both humankind and one of the races of the Upper Planes – the rilmani, the eladrins, or the guardinals.

What the hell are you talking about?

Plane touched doesn't mean someone in your life banged, it just means you have had divine/infernal ineractions. Tieflings are often the result of people who have made dealings with devils as an example

Except the very next sentence explicitly talks about "the blood of two races", so it's kind of hard not to take a sexual implication from that.

I think I prefer the Deva.

For a celestial half-breed, maybe something half Titan/Empyrian would be better. After all, they're based on Greek Mythology where the divinities all had trouble keeping it in their pants.

That's 4e tieflings (best tieflings btw).

>That's 4e tieflings
>best tieflings

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

But they are, except (again) for the artwork and your nostalgia for PS:T.

>Or Devas, 4e's "angels who chose to become tied to the mortal world because they thought it was fascinating"?
Devas sound more interesting. And make them fight Nephilim who are monstrous offspring of Angels who fell instead descending to mortal realm like Devas did.

I always homebrew a race's role in my world. So for aasimar, they are angels who took to the mortal realms because they had to. The world needed a shard of the silver flame or it would succumb to evil diseases. Now the aasimar lives in a forbidden city of black idols, built around that which remains of the silver spark. They can't allow anyone who was outside of the walls into the walls, for fear of contaminating the flame.

>But they are,
Not really no. A race of Tieflings always struck me as retarded as did their design. It felt like they tried to bank on the popularity of blue goats since WoW was big at that time.
Nevermind that the fluff was completely uninspired. They felt like Drow Reloaded.

>except (again) for the artwork and your nostalgia for PS:T.
Right. You wanking off to 4E has nothing to do with Nostalgia with how shit actually was both fluff and crunchwise.

Say what you want I thought Tieflings being demonic human hybrid mutants with actual birth-defects that made them look like disgusting mutants was more interesting and more in tune with how they are all outcasts. Whether this was caused by MY ANCESTOR WAS RAPED BY A ABISHAI or I MADE DEALS WITH SOME BAATEZU AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TAINT IN MY BLOODLINE its up to you.

This is why I also think might be mentally handicapped when he describes Aasimar as
>swapping fiends for celestials, with a dash of mary sue "I'm so good and holy and that means I'm the prettiest little snowflake in the room".
while completely disregarding how Devas are even closer to the very same Mary-Sue bullshit.

> They're angels who forsook the heavenly realms because the mortal world was fascinating to them; that's pretty deep
Its not deep, its just you being a disgusting philistine who probably never read a book outside of school/college.
Devas are the white saviour complex turned into a Character and thats as Sue as you can get.

>Devas, 4e's "angels who chose to become tied to the mortal world because they thought it was fascinating"?
>4e ruins yet another piece of perfectly good content

So, question, does anyone have any pro-Aasimar arguments that *don't* boil down to "they were here first!" or "4e lore is teh evil!"?

neither one has ever made any impact in a game I've played.

>Fuck DiTerlizzi, he was a hack and his art was shit.

Eh, I don't see why somebody would get so riled up about this?