FLAMES OF WAR: They Come to Snuff the Rooster

...we aint' never gonna die-ieeeee!!!

Flames of War SCANS database:
mediafire.com/?8ciamhs8husms
---Includes our Late War Leviathan rules!
Official Flames of War Free Briefings:
flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108

Current Veeky Forums fan projects - Noob Guide &FAQ, and a Podcast
drive.google.com/open?id=1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw
Quick Guide on all present FOW Books:
wargames-romania.ro/wordpress/wargames/flames-of-war/flames-of-war-starting-player-guide-the-books/

Archive of all known Panzer Tracts PDFs: mediafire.com/folder/nyvobnlg12hoz/Panzer_Tracts

WWII Osprey's, Other Wargames, and Reference Books
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
and, for Vietnam.
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War

--Guybrarian Notes:
docs.google.com/document/d/1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw/edit?usp=sharing

400gb.com/u/1883935

Panzerfunk, the /fowg/ podcast.
panzerfunk.podbean.com/

vimeo.com/128373915

flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Briefings/CariusNarva.pdf

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1949 the Azul Division: no longer linkable off the main page

Which army do you play the most?
strawpoll.me/4631475

what actual country are you from?
strawpoll.me/4896764

DISCORD
discord.gg/drZbxvm

docs.google.com/document/d/1JWmbvVANUraO9ILWJZduRgiI9w4ZC3ytNUQE8rK7Xrw/edit?usp=sharing an "i want to get a starter set" for late war.

Do you play TANKS? what is the local scene / meta like? (multi)
strawpoll.me/12127794/r

Soviet Brainstorming Batalon Discord
discord.gg/BfbxDSp

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uAE6Il6OTcs
flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Version4/LessonsFromTheFront-EW-LW.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=l5VTEKWouJg
companyofheroes.wikia.com/wiki/Royal_Artillery_Support
nigelef.tripod.com/directory.htm
mediafire.com/file/yci957h1vx9xqb5/Osprey - ELI 219 - D-Day Beach Assault Troops.pdf
mediafire.com/file/djvqwpye8u30xr4/Osprey - DUE 080 - Pershing vs Tiger.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordnance_QF_25-pounder#/media/File:Gunners_of_'E'_Troop,_124_Battery,_151st_Field_Regiment_filling_25-pdr_shells_with_propaganda_leaflets,_Roermond,_Holland,_24_January_1945._B14123.jpg
flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=5780
flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=5782
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

youtube.com/watch?v=uAE6Il6OTcs

I want to play Italians guys. What are the fun lists/units? Also I hear the moral rules changed so that motivation matters less. When does one check motivation in the normal course of play?

I know pretty much nothing about Italians so I can't comment on them, but I can talk about morale.

In the EW/LW conversions you take a morale check when your unit is in bad spirits. That is when you are down below infantry teams in command and below 2 nonbailed tanks in command. This happens less frequently than below 50% unit size.

More importantly you check morale to remount or unpin. This will be happening more often than the first case. I am working on some math to see how important morale is at different skill levels.

Lastly you can take a morale test to "follow me" or add on 4" to your movement.

That seems kinda shity for small tank teams. Also why did they not have a generic eastern and western front books as their first releases?

Also is cavalry usable/fun?

>Also is cavalry usable/fun?
Cavalry was barely usable in V3. They are strictly worse in V4. Might still be fun, because that's subjective, but as far as usability they're pretty low.

Why are they bad?

that video is utter garbage

they belong in another age?
basic rule: cannot hit tank team in close combat

They can't hit tanks in melee, take a +1 to hit at range, can't dig in until they abandon their horses (which they can't get back in V4), and most galling (in V4) have a tactical move (what they use before assaulting) of 6", while INFANTRY have a tactical move of 8". They have a charge range of 6" while infantry have 4", so cavalry charge as fast as dudes on foot.

Why? Like do the horses get scarred or something? Can you still dismount your cav?

yes, thank god.
dismounting is the ONLY way cavalry can tanks.
then,
they don't get horses back, unless....

Why? Is it to hard for a couple guys to hang on to the platoons horses? Also horses the same speed as infantry? Do they not want my money?

Because BF doesn't like Soviets or Rumanians, and spaghettis suck.

horses are faster.
cavalry would be good in an infantry/gun team meta, aka. ACW/ECW.

this is a very tank heavy game.
poor cavalry.

>horses are faster.
Only when Dashing, they're slower when they want to do anything or get within 8" of the enemy. Which is just bizzare.

Why is the pasta bad? How bad are they? Like if I don't mind being at a slight disadvantage will they still be fun?
I don't want to go impale the enemy with lances I was just hoping for a platoon that could get to advantageous positions quickly hold them until the rest of the force shows up for not a lot of extra points. But with trucks being gotten rid of it seems that the scale of the game is to small for that kind of mobility to be worth it.

>basic rule: cannot hit tank team in close combat

That is just...weird. I mean, I'm not asking for 40k where you have cavalry charging tanks with lances but cavalry seem just as capable of ineffectually trying to stab a tank as any infantryman could.

As for both italians and cav i can help out. The italian problem is their anti-tank is pretty poor in any era and LW most of your points go to German allies. They can get some pretty decent troops training wise, but the gear is just mediocre to poor. Coastal guns are a near requirement because of their actually usable antitank value. EW/MW italians function fine because in those eras the antitank values are still less so the italian tech doesn't suck yet. Most italian lists are usable, but those that start out trained might cost you a lot of models to field. The guy i know who has italians pretty much always gets the veterans (Bersaglieri? the mountaineers) because of not wanting to field a humongous army.

As for cavalry, some cavalry things got buffed. With infiltrating scouts for the soviet cossacks, you can get a turn 1 assault 5/6 times. The extra charge range also helps getting more teams into assault. You can now fire panzerfausts from horseback as well, so you're an actual threat to tanks mounted. Plus you have great morale with the option of gluing extra attachments for even better morale. Most of the detractors here have clearly never played cav because every downside mentioned is pretty much irrelevant, horses are in nearly every way still about as fast as a standard tank, but with better terrain crossing ability. Plus, infantry saves function as long as you can roll 3+'s this edition, so a unit of cossacks can last a looong while.

Cavalry works fine but there might be better tourney lists since they're kind of pidgeonholed into one style of play (that is, you need to assault most of the time). But they're great fun if you know how to use them. Always get scouts, and attack often. You can dismount and dig in, but you're not better then normal infantry at it.

the +1 to hit is for the cav firing their guns, because wobbly horseback and is a buff compared to V3, where they couldn't fire outside 4" and always as moving, even when standing still. There's also several other buffs, like the movement orders being better, morale being a lot better for 16+ size cav units, attached gun teams being allowed to blitz, ability to fire Panzerfausts mounted with the Berlin cossacks, plus better air support vs tanks and less enemy reserves because of reserves stacking, plus more chance of pulling a turn 1 assault off. Yeah, QoQ is gone but discount QoQ still exists.

Bersaglieri are light infantry. The mountaineers are the alpini.

So did Red Thunder improve Soviets or what?

I just added storms and spandrels to my BMP company. That's all.

You know what? You have convinced me. I'm assembling my cossacks.

I'd say it was an improvement, but it remains to be seen just how much of an improvement.

T-64s are just simply better against NATO tanks than the T-72s, especially if you add the gun-launched anti-tank missiles for 2 points per unit.

Acacias add in a Copperhead-like artillery choice with the Krasnopol projectiles. It's a capability that the USSR was lacking.

The problem that I still don't think they have a good answer to is infantry-based anti-tank missile spam.

>The problem that I still don't think they have a good answer to is infantry-based anti-tank missile spam.
To be fair, pretty much nobody does atm.

You'd think the Soviets would be the ones to have the best shot though, especially with the breakthrough rule on the main guns of their tanks...

Maybe if it were actually the breakthrough rule, but RoF 1 brutal is arguably worse than RoF 2 not brutal at the same firepower. Brutal is such a shitty rule, because Soviet tanks don't have all day to camp out in front of NATO infantry with all the Milans out and about. Maybe it MIGHT work for the cheaper T-72Ms (Though Milans are especially murderous to them) just due to numbers.

And in regards to number and the T-64 and the Chieftain. They are more or less the same cost (after the initial discount) and the Chieftain is better in many important aspects, especially against infantry.

NVA

The special ammos are both crap, being 2 points for insanely niche situations.

Ded thread

bull.
fucking
shit.

have played, will testify. the extra 8" range is golden, and the drop in AP is negligible considering it's a first strike move and it gets HEAT so there is no armor reduction for range.

for 2pts per PLATOON that is fuckign gold.

what are the chances today's update concerns some kinda new info?
either Hammerfall contents, Stripes peek, or Italian tease?

Wrong on all counts I'm afraid.

flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Version4/LessonsFromTheFront-EW-LW.pdf
LOTS of updates, some minor, some important. They've put the MW errata with the EW/LW errata finally, so it's all in one doc.

>My teams need to be within 4”/10cm to Charge into Contact. Does that allow an Infantry team that is 4”/10cm behind another Infantry team that charged to charge as well?
>Yes. As long as its 4”/10cm move brings it into Contact with the enemy (whether directly or through a fellow Infantry team), it can charge.

Wait it's October already?

Have played it's useless. You're almost always better off moving the full 14 and using your main gun (with the same AT and better firepower). In the event you're not, you probably fucked up somewhere because there's exactly one (uncommon) list soviets beat at sniping. Not to mention that 48" shots are uncommon anyway.

It's entirely possible that you're both right, based on the armies you play against and the terrain set-ups that you usually play on.

Personally I like the T-64 and their GLATGMs.

Excellent paint job.

I love the subtle variations in the different shades of green.

What are people's opinions on long-barreled Lees vs Shermans for Mid-War Americans in V4?

I'm leaning more towards the long-barreled Lees myself.

The thing is, it's two points. If it was free, it'd be great. But it means not taking spandrels or gaskins, and one of those is FAR more useful than the missile. Taking two missiles for both companies means losing two units.

my genosse
youtube.com/watch?v=l5VTEKWouJg

i'm not confident in my paint scheme

Looks decent to me.

What don't you like about it?

Hello gents. I've been dabbling in Company of Heroes modding and thought about soliciting your opinion on the subject.
Currently in the latter stage of Commander Tree developement and want your thoughts on British Canadian Artillery's Commander Tree.
Here's how it looks for now:

Sector Smoke (for each infantry or vehicle within target sector fire a smoke round for cover) [1 pts]
|
v
Artillery Units (Cromwell 75mm & M3 GMC Autocar are producable) [3]
|
v
Artillery Discount (discounts artillery units production and call-in costs) [2]
---------------------------
Sector Overwatch (fire 75mm rounds on sector transpassers) [2]
|
v
Arty Reload (reduce arty abilities cooldown via an ability) [2]
|
v
Vacant position, need ideas

I'm thinking of adding poisonous gas for the British arty units (added to Axis Propaganda Doctrine. Some units are immune to it at the execuse of wearing a gas mask.) but not sure about historic fidelity. I might remove Sector Smoke or contract it with Sector Overwatch which either way leaves me with two vacant Commander Tree upgrades.

companyofheroes.wikia.com/wiki/Royal_Artillery_Support

Are there any British forces that can take more than one platoon of M10s in support?

Motor Companies, in both Market Garden (Guards or Canadian) and Overlord

Honestly, I don't know enough about CoH to offer any useful advice.

I'd say to go with whatever fells right to you, and whatever you think still fits within the game balance.

nigelef.tripod.com/directory.htm

it looks good. very NVA, but it looks good.

We now have True PDF versions of these recent titles, if you want to upgrade

mediafire.com/file/yci957h1vx9xqb5/Osprey - ELI 219 - D-Day Beach Assault Troops.pdf
mediafire.com/file/djvqwpye8u30xr4/Osprey - DUE 080 - Pershing vs Tiger.pdf

The other day I saw a duo of Britons filling a 25pdr shell with leaflets and thought about an upgrade that provides Royal Artillery with non-standard ammunition (supercharge already implemented by the game's developers) such as leaflet that causes troops to retreat back to HQ.

Thanks.

Weren't leaflets typically air-dropped propaganda to demoralize the other side?

FireFox can't open URLs I put in its box for some reason but I hope this link is correct: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordnance_QF_25-pounder#/media/File:Gunners_of_'E'_Troop,_124_Battery,_151st_Field_Regiment_filling_25-pdr_shells_with_propaganda_leaflets,_Roermond,_Holland,_24_January_1945._B14123.jpg

Don't show this to that beasts of war guy.

Why would he care?

There's no lasers, giant robots, or flying saucers in that picture.

Let's be fair here. He would also accept zombies, skeletons and/or ghouls.

I'm processing my grandma's interwar photos and I really hope that fucker turns up in one.

>Forrest gump
>but a werewolf
>during wwII

He was going for more of an Indiana Jones vibe for his Nazis, some kind of occult artifact hunters.

And then he added in a Flying Disk for no reason whatsoever other than that it looked cool.

Is Israel an option in Team Yankee? Battlefront already makes Israeli miniatures after all.

There's a separate game they make about the Arab-Israeli Wars, mostly focused on the late 60s and early 70s.

Team Yankee is set in the mid 80s.

The tech level wouldn't match up.

What are your opinions on this article?

It's basically unofficial cards for the M3 75mm GMC.

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=5780

They should probably have an AA MG of some kind but it always kind of annoys me that Battlefront only seem to list stuff from a seemingly small list of people.

Is that some kind of intermediate Tiger II/Leopard I hybrid?

King Tiger but with ERA and modern upgrades. There's more than a few pictures. It's strange. It's some kind of weird meme.

I think I'm disgusted, but it might be arousal.

That coverage on the sides is awful. You trying to get an RPG up your ass Fritz?

>Porsche turret with the shot trap not covered or fixed

I can only imagine how much having a 105mm or larger round deflecting INTO the tank must suck.

Also looks like it still has the old gun in that pic. Which is way outdated by ERA times.

>AP 16 can still try a T55am2 on a 2+

load better ammo for AP 17-18

Looks like something out of a "The Man in the High Castle" style setting where the Germans won the war.

>modern upgrades
>retains bow MG
choice meme

Are those both US and German troops in that picture taking cover behind that vehicle?

What's the story there?

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=5782

>So many cards.
>So many bombardments.

How would /fowg/ fix Command Cards?

So 6 months ago I did a successful challenge to get 152 little bastard airlanding troops painted. I've been lazy on finishing, and added some other stuff since then. So now I have a new challenge to finish by october 26th: Finish up all the infantry (mainly basing) and paint all the armored vehicles with them here. Including the Grogtober Maus.

>How would /fowg/ fix Command Cards?
Kill V4 and piss on the ashes. The mission cards are the only good idea I've seen from their card obsession.

Curious /k/ommando here. What's bad about bow MG mounts?

Structural weakpoint that's hard to properly armor. They're not present on more modern tanks for a reason.

Other than that guy using way too many of them, I honestly don't think they're a problem that needs to be fixed.

Limit them to a certain amount of points per force, and you're golden.

The problem isn't any one card or any combination of cards.

The problem is when the cards are 1/3rd of the armylist.

>The problem is when the cards are 1/3rd of the armylist.

This. So much this.

There needs to be some limit on how many points at each points level can be spent on cards.

>yfw it still wouldn't be as good as an equally modernised M48 or T-55
The KT, even with ERA, a L7 gun and better optics, would still be a fuckhuge target with very limited armor that would give in to kinetic energy penetrators from the 50s, with a terrible engine that would shit the bed, a pants on head retarded roadwheel display that's both easy to clog and hard to field strip, and shapes that would prevent any non-dumb application of ERA or appliqué armor.

After the war, various countries kept producing Bf.109s, MG-42s, Hetzers, Mausers, Fi.156 Storchs... if nobody produced Tigers or Panthers, there are reasons.

oh hey guys

Should I keep going?

Improved abrams confirmed on box, and plastic Humvee, M60, LAV, Huey, and rifles. Not sure what that last thing is, some amphib transport?

Yep amphibious transport used by the meme corps. I think it has a light cannon and a grenade launcher.

The next one may be a little unsettling for some of you. Are you sure you wish to know the truth?

As of now, Forces of War as listed Banzai as Version 4 compatible. I haven't played V4 yet due to my friends being gone but I have read up on the rules. Since there is technically no company morale and platoon moral (correct me if I am wrong), that means that the rules such as No Surrender and Seishin don't count since they involve Platoon and Company morale. Am I missing something here or are Japanese moral rules screwed because they now mean nothing?

Just to make things clear, I'm going to a tournament not to win but to have fun so if I can't play Japanese it won't be the end of the world to me.

>Since there is technically no company morale and platoon moral (correct me if I am wrong)
They exist, they're just retarded. You take platoon morale every turn you're below 3 infantry stands or 2 other teams. If you have less than two platoons from your formation (not support units), you lose automatically (HQ counts as a unit now).

They detail how the japs work in the Special Rules and Warriors book, which is available on their website and in the OP repository.

You guys are no fun.

Behold. Look at this shit. With a total of 55 ever produced in the entire lifecycle, behold the mighty latrine killer.

Ahahah!
I am very amused by this.