Auras edition! (Hard mode: Curses.)

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld. Magic user, and I hate magic users, so I decided to play up the knight aspect she used in the DC Nation shorts. Plus enchantments are a pretty good shorthand for magic anyway.

I like it.

Posting some stuff I made a while ago while working on a set with a friend, which was partially themed on bringing back old, barely used existing mechanics.
>Why is Offering U/W?
Thematic reasons
White and blue effects felt the most interesting when used at varied speeds.

Personally, I always felt like the pseudo-Flash thing was probably the worst part about Offering. It just feels like needless complexity, and I'm so glad Wizards brought in Emerge to simplify the concept.

Hello /ccg/.

Lex again. As stated last time, original idea was a UB control card, but I just ended up making a Becket Brass ripoff.

The last ability will trigger three times as worded, once as a creature and twice as an Aura. Kinda confusing. I think I'd just make it
>When ~ is put into a graveyard from the battlefield
Since that triggers once as a creature and once as an Aura.

Was under the assumption the use of "dies" prevents that as auras don't "die"

Also says when this creature is put into a graveyard from the battlefield (dies), so even if "dies" doesn't work like that, it's not a creature when it gets put into the graveyard for memento to trigger if its alresdy been attached as an aura. Correct me if I'm wrong though

Oh, I misunderstood the issue. I see what you mean.

He uses his drones to gain knowledge I presume if you don't want it to be beckett brass, maybe have it be a coastal piracy type thing.

Also i hope superman is Naya
I really just don't like offering. I also don't like that emerge inherited the subtract mana cost thing when it could have just had a set alternate cost like ninjutsu. Its especially annoying because they designed them to be played on a certain curve anyway.

Damage-draw for Lex might be interesting. I'll have to see what I can get for him. Thanks for the suggestion.

I actually already did Supes. 6WWW, Flying, Vigilance, Indestructible, 7/7. I actually don't have any Kryptonian in Naya, sorry. I do have Wonder Woman in Naya though, and a few of the other Amazon cards.

Whats the best way to write the rules for instants or sorceries that, when they resolve, can become auras that give the enchanted creature a tap ability matching the spell by paying the spell's mana cost again? Basically like U draw a card, 4u enchant creature it has u, t, draw a card.
Damn I wanted him to be Naya to go with Lex Luthor's UB. I don't think you could justify red anyway.

Your idea is essentially a more complicated version of Cipher. But I'll try anyway.
>U
>Draw a card.
>Keyword 4U (Exile this card from your graveyard keywording a creature you control. The keyworded creature has "U, T: Draw a card.")
Yeah, way more complicated.

Lex in UB isn't set in stone. It's what I'm aiming for, but I intend to be flexible with colors. As for R Supes, I gave Supergirl a R ping ability to represent heat vision. Granted she's still White, but it wouldn't be too hard to design a Supes that uses R.

If you want to have a go at making your own Supes/Lex/whatever cards, please feel free to do so. I like seeing how others design different versions of thr same characters.

A phoenix without a way to get it back from the grave?

Not him but here

I don't think the ability can allow it to recur itself because of how targeting works. But I'm not entirely sure. Anyway, just replace "target" with "a".

So it's a 4/2 flying for 3 that's ultra-indestructible and can fetch combo pieces from the graveyard. I think it's too powerful for the cost, unfortunately. The only way to remove it from play is to exile it or return it to hand/deck directly. I think it would be more balanced if it cost 2WR instead.

Even if it can't, the moment you get two that's infinite recursion.

Isn't that just Blind Hunter but with Menace instead of Flying? Also Memento seems almost indistinguishable from the Haunt mechanic. I assume it's a reference to Blind Hunter due to the name but it just doesn't feel original, sorry.

You're right

Two corrections, your card targets each opponent not one player and it triggers three times. I'd say that's really overpowered in comparison.

Clearly the intention was for it to be the same as Blind Hunter which triggers twice, and someone already pointed out correct wording to fix that.

Mechanic started as trying to find snother way to do aura creatures for Theros, and it turns out haunt is a good mechanical start for that. Blind hunter was imo the most iconic haunt card dur to its role in limited so to show off a haunt variant a new version of blind hunter was the way to do it. Has menace because I couldn't find any theros enchantment creature with flying that matched. Originality was not necessarily the goal.

What i need to know is from now on out if vreatures that become auras will always grsnt thrir p/t as buff. They did in theros with bestow but it seems way too limiting to do that, but if they insist on no vanilla enchantment creatures and no global enchantments at common, theres not many places to go for enchantment creatures to feel like enchantments than to be auras. I actually think being a nonbo with heroic is enough to kill this for me, plus death triggers are tricky at common too.
Also this
Dont you tgink this is better as rwo cards? You get two designs out of it and I think theyre both still neat. Repercussions curse would be pretty cool.

Naw, I think at triple red it's enough to get both effects in.

Er... it wasn't an issue of power level.

delete this

Cost help would be nice here.

Oh. Then no, one card is fine.

Why not split it up so you can have two cool cards instead of losing design space and putting them on the same card?

Yeah, I agree with I think the card would be more interesting if it were just, say, the last ability. It allows for more play. It just seems cumbersome to have both effects on it.

I'd say just make it a death trigger.

I mean, I get why theyre both on there and it technically works. But itd be a simpler, cleaner design and more beneficial for them from a design space perspective. Actually, a cool cycle of curses would be ones that grant a distinct upside a downside that can punish the upside.
Actually, a cool cycle of curses would be ones that grant a distinct upside and a downside that can punish the upside. A curse that gives haste would be weird, but if it took the must attack from this design...

That's not a bad idea...

What do you guys think of this mechanic? Too slow?

That's an existing mechanic (Except you also gave it a cap). Outlast.

It was generally seen as shit due to how slow it was.

It reminds me of level up.

How is this as a removal spell/nod to Tragic Slip?

Hmm in that case should i lessen the boost?
Part of the idea was enchanting the opponent's creatures, balancing the death with the pump so you'd prolly cost yourself life in the process.

Well outlast was sorcery only. This can be used at any time. I agree that it's a fair comparison though

Not him, but Outlast was only sorc-speed. Don't know if that makes any difference though.

>Hmm in that case should i lessen the boost?
A better Elephant Guide? I think it's fine as-is.

>Part of the idea was enchanting the opponent's creatures, balancing the death with the pump so you'd prolly cost yourself life in the process.
Eh, it's really easy to play around though. Wait till after the creature attacks, tapdown, etc.

>card
Seems OK I suppose. Nothing mindblowing.

Hybrid design space is tight and this fits it, sure.

First, yeah, Cardsmith. If you can, we'd appreciate it if you used MSE instead.

Second... why is this even a Curse? It works nearly exactly the same as just a regular enchantment.

I'm on mobile, so not an option. The idea was "Curses with Upsides." Being forced to discard two cards with an empty board is a pretty big curse.

Ah... I just remembered, a lot of Auras that have scaling bonuses like this don't do anything but have the death trigger, and only enchant creatures you control.

Ah. Unfortunately, you don't understand how Curses work. Even if you have this enchanting an opponent, the downside will apply to you, and only you will be able to activate the sac ability. In order for this to work as-is, you would have to give the opponent control of the enchantment.

Yeah, a friend informed me the wording was wrong, sorry about that...

God this is wordy... for the record, I think it would be better to make it an Aura.
>~ enters the battlefield with X tribute counters on it.
>Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 for each tribute counter on ~.
>Enchanted creature has "At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice this creature and attach ~ to target creature you don't control."
Last ability is kinda wonky, since the controller of the card doesn't have to control the creature, and of course if you don't control the creature, you can't sacrifice it. Also, is this supposed to get passed around, or only you get to choose what it targets?

Passed around, so a "gains control" clause should be in there.

Geez that art is terrifying. Anyway, I think I'd make it nonland since, you know, lands have no CMC. Though... I'm actually wondering if you could instead make it 2WUB, have it exile a nonland unconditionally, then have the scaling exile-mill.

Might as well post my own WUB exile thing.

Well, while my wording doesn't change control, it should work similarly enough. Damn, this would be a lot easier without the counters.

...Wait a minute, you can cast this with no counters on it. GG for Necrotic Plague? Yeesh.

>part
FUUUCK.

Like the other user said that should probably be nonland, but other than that I like it, expensive removal but exiling makes it worthwhile. Exiling combo pieces will never not feel great.

I like this one a lot as well, seems like it could be a win con, and Esper wincons are always great. Controlling any permanent justifies the cost since it doubles as removal when you want it to, plus you could abuse it with blinking,

Is a 3 colored mana spell to exile one land really broken?

Eh, I guess not. I suppose it's just the standard reaction I have to things now.

I think I'd make the land sac itself.

[...] equal to the exiled card's converted mana cost, you may copy the exiled card. You may cast the copy without paying its mana cost.
You can change "you may copy" to just "copy" if you wish. No real difference either way.

>Brainiac's Possession
Thanks.

I thought land stealing was green thing is all, most theft cards I remember are usually nonland and creature focused. The other card should be nonland as well now that I think, unless my color pie is off.

The user you responded to was talking about I'm not him, and Brainiac is my card.

This card would not make waves in modern like fatal push did, right?

It's only one mana less than a standard Cruel Edict effect. I think it's fine, but I could be wrong.

Electric-powered villain. I'd like for this one to focus on damage-draw. I just have to figure out how to go about it the right way. I guess there should be an advantage to actually attacking with it. Maybe firebreathing?

Well, the advantage to attacking would be drawing 3 without having to discard.

Replace
>When you cast ~
with
>As ~ enters the battlefield
Should work more or less the same.

I think if you went the whole way and made this discard it'd be a cooler card. Maybe even let copy artifacts too.

I played it safe, but I like your idea. Discarding the creature would be a more black effect

Hmm, true enough. Well, I've already come up with a new version. This time the ping is a Shock with no discard, and you can pay 1UR to give her +2/+2 and Flying for the turn, but only once.

Oh yeah, and it should be
>creature card
instead of just
>creature

You could do an O-Ring effect. They already made Brain Maggot, and they just recently made Kitesail Freebooter.

Stumbled onto Death Spark randomly. Decided to do an updated take. I realize recurring burn can be difficult to cost, so if this is too good as-is, please let me know and I'll start making it harder to recur.

>you pay 1
Fucking... why does this keep happening to me?

Eh... I'm obviously wary of it, but I'm not sure. The closest comparison I can think of for this cost is Demon of Death's Gate, but that's a massive beater, this just ramps. Sorry, you'll have to get feedback from others.

First, I thought the wording was just awful and weird. Then I looked up Lotus Vale and saw that it was supposed to be like that.
The wording is probably like that because you can tap it for mana if it was a triggered ability in the style of "When x enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you sacrifice y." But there has to be a less clunkier or nicer to read way to spell it out, right?
Dear wizards, please fix your shit.

>But there has to be a less clunkier or nicer to read way to spell it out, right?
>Dear wizards, please fix your shit.
Not him, but that's the only way to word that ability to get the desired effect. I actually spent some time analyzing Animate Dead, and I'm pretty much convinced that Wizards uses the best wording for their cards, it's just that some of their cards have very complex/specific effects. Which are usually a product of their inconsistent syntax from the past.

Had an idea for a DFC mishmash of old cards inspired by the transforming enchantments from Ixalan.

>Front
>UU
>Legendary Enchantment
>Rare
>1UU, Sacrifice a creature: Create X 1/1 blue Camarid creature tokens, where X is the sacrificed creature's converted mana cost.
>At the beginning of your end step, if you control seven or more Camarids, transform ~.

>Back
>Legendary Land
>T: Add U to your mana pool.
>2, T: Add U to your mana pool for each Island you control.

Ignoring anything else, main thing I notice is the sides don't seem to interact at all. They don't have anything to with each other. Makes for kind of an ugly design.

More retro stuff. Based on Intiates of the Ebon Hand, in a roundabout way.

The DFC cycle from Ixalan had that problem too. I'll try to come up with something else, but I do like the idea of the backside, a land version of High Tide.

I need some help coming up with a bant-colored mechanic, preferably having something to do with +1/+1 counters, but not necessarily that

Pic related is an idea my friend suggested

>The DFC cycle from Ixalan had that problem too.
Was gonna say no they don't but I looked over them again and actually some of them do. Some of them pretty much make no sense without flavor context.

Gonna need some flavor for context. I was gonna say I actually like that but A) I think youd need snother type of counter in the set to make it make sense and B) a second thought made me feel liie it was a little too much just proliferate with less design space. If you can add just something, any little twist on it, I think you could nail it with that. Thought about maybe making it a tiny doubling season where you could make a token or get an extra counter but then itd be populate but tied down to a specific timing instead of being an action word.

Exalted that gives a +1/+1 counter instead of pump?
A Renown rework where whenever the creature deals combat damage it gets a counter?
A Convoke variant where the creature ETBs with a +1/+1 counter on it for each creature tapped to cast it?
Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature when this creature dies, a la Modular but a bit neutered?

You seem to have confused Blue with Black.

Homarid Spawning Bed. I said it was a mishmash of old cards. I'll try to change it up though. Maybe... cast a noncreature spell, get a token?

I just read it and immediately thought of Cabal Coffers and Ghoulcaller Gisa

I can see that. Again, first draft, will change later.

>Cabal Coffers
Hmm, the backside was actually supposed to represent a land version of High Tide. I dunno, I just had this image in my head of a beach or shoreline or something at high tide, so it gets the obvious ability. Granted it's pretty different, but that's basically just to simplify it. Should I make the ability more like High Tide then?