We need High Fantasy Medieval crossed with WW1. Stuff like from that story user from 09

We need High Fantasy Medieval crossed with WW1. Stuff like from that story user from 09

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=g1hIT71Elu8
1d4chan.org/images/d/de/TheDeclarationOfSurrendependence.png
1d4chan.org/images/4/4e/Lessons.png
1d4chan.org/images/6/60/FurtherEducation.png
1d4chan.org/images/3/39/LandOfCloudAndMists.png
1d4chan.org/wiki/File:Twincest.png
1d4chan.org/images/f/fd/Twin_Refugees.png
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Strange_&_Mr_Norrell
youtube.com/watch?v=bZpv93C0OZ8&ab_channel=TheGreatWar
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Magic, taken to it's logical extremes, could cause this.

Wizards are the ultimate battlefield weapon for innumerable reasons. The only thing that can stop a wizard is another wizard. Wizards are expensive and take a long time to train, thus relegating them to command, artillery, and rear line duties. Armies cannot overtake each others lines because of the wizards. It devolves into trench warfare with fixed fortifications protecting wizards and the infantry chaff

What story user from 09?

You know all kidding aside this was the last big war that used both horse and tanks. It had a vary unique aesthetic for a war that people don't really take advantage of, and I wish they would.

Im talking magic with techology. Im thinking Crossbows, Auto Crossbows, Muskets, early bolt action rifles, and artillery cannons. rubbing shoulders with Magics Such as arrow rain summoning, summoning fire, Digging a small trench quickly, Necromancy

I think there’s a loli anime that does that

Youjo senki that’s the name. It’s effectively exactly what your talking about

>Necromancy
Briefly used but then immediately regarded as a weapon of extreme cruelty and last resort, has a negligible impact because advances catch up with it. AKA Mustard Gas.

In fact, maybe thats why the soldiers have gas masks. The world follows aulde timey "Death and Disease are caused by Miasmas" rules, so necromancy rolls over the field like a cloud. Attacks on the lines are preceeded by a rolling cloud of death that animates the corpses of the dead and kills anyone who breathes it in, until your sides wizards disperse it with a gust of wind that blows it back towards the enemy line, forcing them to don their own masks and cancel the spell. It's mostly used to soften up/obscure your approach. Sometimes they do it without even launching an attack to fake people out.

Yes but it's shit, even before you remember it's protagonist is a loli reincarnation of a fedora nihilist

Enchanted weaponry as well perhaps?

but of coarse!

Also Machine GUNs Yay or Nay?

Im not very good at doodles but ill give it a shot

Men at arms Armed with:
Bolt action rifle or Musket or Crossbow
Bastard sword or Club
Grenades
Gambason, Helmet, Splinter mask

Machine guns from what I heard were these weapons that were thought to end all conflict or keep it at bay in the same vein of modern day nuclear weapons. With using some fantastical elements, how can we truly bring these weapons to rise up as harbingers of death they were originally thought to be at the time?

Also YAY

not sure. I want Knight armor to still by more Stronk then guns tho Because metallurgy/armor dynamics got better earlier

Both poles and Soviets used horse mounted cavalry during WW2, but it was used much differently. Soviet cavalry was useful due to the lack of roads through much of the Eastern Front, and could harass the enemy where motorized transport couldn't reach.

What if knight noblemen could afford the magical strengthening necessary to protect armor against bullets, but to the average soldier, a magically boosted machine gun will tear through them like tissue paper?

i dont think it would be possible to enchant a complex mechanical weapon such as a Vickors or maxim

What about it's ammunition?

WW1 aesthetic is extremely 'post-knight'. If a knightly class existed, they'd be the mages

Well I mean that WW2 is considered the first modern war

WW1 is the transition from 19th century warfare to modern warfare.

The technology difference between the two is staggering, and the technology level and aesthetic of ww1 seems that it could mesh better with a fantasy setting.

idk, also I feel like ww2 get's done to death but ww1 get's over looked

>With using some fantastical elements, how can we truly bring these weapons to rise up as harbingers of death they were originally thought to be at the time?
Bullets that explode like hand grenades.

Youjo Senki is basically this. World War 1 but there's wizards. They're not unstoppable battlefield Gods like states, but they are really powerful. I'd liken them to helicopter gunships that are infantry sized while ALSO being infantry. It's actually really interesting, plus the art is great, there's a lot of detail in it.
>Only like hand grenades
youtube.com/watch?v=g1hIT71Elu8
(The praying is something only the MC has to do because she's essentially cursed, she has to pray every time she wants to use her magic "computation gem." Otherwise it'll explode).

In world war 2, horse mounted cavalry was treated more like mounted infantry. They wouldn't charge lines on horseback, they just used horses to get around.

Dragoons had been around for ages already. (Though I'm sure you already knew that). People seem to think that man on horse = cavalry, but that wasn't the case. I'm not sure how much cavalry there actually was prior to WW1. I don't think they were used much in Crimea, but I could be wrong.

Funny thing is, older cuirasses (cuirassi?) were better than the armor in WW1 and 2. During those wars, the idea of protecting soldiers was seen as pointless, because armor can't stop a bullet. Armor design needed to be re-learned.

The lanterns squealed on the hooks, tipping in the wind as it changed, yet again. The men in the trench froze, staring up at it. There was something that looked like fire inside. 'Fire burns blue, stay. Fire starts to darken, get your mask. Fire turns red, you're dead.' The dim magic inside was a guttering blue still. The soldiers relaxed, somewhat. It was magic, the generals said. But the cheap kind of magic, the kind that only cost three shilling and guaranteed to work a month before you had to buy another for three shilling.

This lantern had been at the post for sixteen weeks. Every request for a replacement had been met with silence. The soldiers kept their masks close.

Sergeant Wickers spoke then, on his favorite topic (much to the weary misery of his comrades): politics and cleverness.

"I miss the days we were ruled by a king."
The other soldiers gave a look to Sergeant Wickers, then shuffled away in the mud, drawing their cloaks around themselves and their billhooks, trying to keep the rain off. The knew better than to engage him. They had been in the trench with the Sergeant for six months now, had gotten to know his patter and his rants. Knew better than to take the bait.

All except the newest man in their stretch of dirt. He frowned, puzzled it out, and made the mistake of speaking.

"King still rul-"

"Shut up. Fucking idiot. Sure, we got a king. Got a king on our shilling, on our banners, on our fucking latrines. He's everywhere, but he means less than shit. King Garrid doesn't rule. He shows up and nods and looks pretty for parades, and then he goes back to his palace and his hardest decision is choosing between lamb or venison for dinner. No. The Congregation rules. And Arch-Chancellor Felder rules."

The boy was silent now. Staring down. Sergeant Wickers leaned in, unwilling to let go of a chance to vent.

"And what do you think of him then? The real ruler?"

The boy looked left then right, trying to find sympathy. None from the rest of the men at arms. The boy wasn't sure, if the old sergeant was testing him, so he mumbled, "Well, he, he's supposed to be very smart-"

"Exactly. Smart. Clever. Inventive. The worst fucking sort to have leading us. Fucking wizards. Old days, king'd go to war for stupid reasons. Stray goats, sprig of land, a stranger in the bed. And they'd fight stupid too. Plain and stupid. Get the boys together, and march over. If you see the enemy, you charge them, you don't see them, find a village to plunder until honor was satisfied, or something like that."

Sergeant Wickers was maybe three years older than the boy. The boy took on a skeptical look.
"What, you'd rather we be out on a field getting run down by a knight?"

"You are god damn right I would. Stupid is quick. Stupid wars are quick. Men die quick. Men don't die over months in a fucking trench, their feet rotting off, watching for the lanterns to burn red, and shitting themselves every time they feel the wind turn. Gods, I would love stupid. I'm fucking sick of clever. Back in the day, a king could be any idiot, so long as they came out of the right womb. Now, now you have people like the Arch-Chancellor. Educated."

Wickers spat that word. The boy shifted uncomfortably. This sounded borderline treasonous. But the sergeant wouldn't stop as he stood and started shouting.

"Want to know why we're shivering in a hole? Because of the wind. Any halfwit wizard can turn a wind. Pressure differentials or some shit, I can't remember. We started this war marching on the Leechwood, and one of those fucking educated wizards stops us, and says he has a plan. We can sit, and wait a spell, stay warm and safe. It'll be clever he says. And oh the generals loved the thought of that. Fucking clever plans. So we sit down, and the wizard turns the wind so it's at our backs and howling. Then he makes us build a great big fire- it was summer back then. Woods were nice and dry. And that fire catches on the wind, and goes into the wood. And it burns. It burns good. And the wizards and the generals smile and nod at each other but good, thinking how fucking clever they were."

"And then the wind turns back."

"Smoke first. And who is afraid of a little smoke? Can't see shit. Wizard doesn't even both turning the wind back, we're all nice and prepared with fire ditches way back from the woods, we got nothing to worry about. Then, one of the boys in the front gets a little sick. Pukes. We laugh it off. Had too much to drink probably. But he doesn't stop. Another one of the men starts puking too, but the first, he's still going. He's on his hands and knees gasping, out comes his dinner, lunch, breakfast, then nothing, then he's heaving, and out comes red, and then he's down, without even the strength to keep his face out of his vomit. Then another one of us starts to throw up. And another, and another, and another, until we start thinking, maybe we should be afraid of a little smoke."

"So we run. And then the knights come up and down the line and grab us, riding us down, and cursing us for being peasant cowards, even as we felt the burn of the eyes and throat. We kept trying to run, so the knights draw steel on us, and we get to choose. The sword or the smoke. While the clever wizards get to work trying to turn back the wind, and turn it back with some other fucking clever thing on the wind."

"So we dig. We hide under the smoke. We put up the lanterns so we get warning when poison is on the wind. We poke our heads up when the enemy charges and push them back to keep our precious wizards safe, and then we get up over the trench wall and charge at the enemy to try to reach their wizards. We fight the rats for food, and we fight the dead for their boots when they come shuffling in. We freeze when the rain rolls in, and we bake in the heat when a fire storm passes over head. And we die slow. Long and slow. Because the wizards are smart. I shoulda picked the sword back then."

The boy was looking down, rain dripping from his nose, unable to meet Wickers' eyes. The other soldiers were silent, looking away. They didn't bother to dispute the doom saying.

The soldiers looked up as they heard distant thunder, a crackle of storm and arcane lightning from above. Silently, the veterans reached for their masks. The boy hurried along to follow with uncertain hands.

The lantern clanked, twisting in the roaring wind again, as the blue flame darkened and dimmed.

Well written user.

Well there's this guys's setting:

>1d4chan.org/images/d/de/TheDeclarationOfSurrendependence.png

>1d4chan.org/images/4/4e/Lessons.png

>1d4chan.org/images/6/60/FurtherEducation.png

>1d4chan.org/images/3/39/LandOfCloudAndMists.png

>(read first) 1d4chan.org/wiki/File:Twincest.png

>(then this) 1d4chan.org/images/f/fd/Twin_Refugees.png

And to the author of these stories, if you're out there. Hope you continue, I actually am interested where you might be taking this setting too. We could always could use more WW1 era-centered stuff

not so much ww1, I'm just posting knights with any sort of gun now.

>High fantasy WW1
Literally impossible.

You need more than just magic, you need all the other factors that make total war a thing.

Can someone screencap this?

Get a load of this faggot.

Literally go read the Grimnoir Chronicles by Larry Correia.

While it doesn't take place during WW1 the main character is a mage and WW1 veteran and they go into how magic fucked with the concepts of battle in WW1. If you were a mage you were drafted and put into a platoon with similar mages and told to use your magic to change the tide of battle.

For example with Pyromancers there was no longer a threat of fires totally consuming zeppelins if they were stationed aboard so those continued use.

Also mages with gravity magic enabled the use of man-portable squad automatic weapons much earlier since they could just carry the big ones no problem by making them weigh next to nothing.

Wouldn't that be lotr?

that would create a nightmarish problem for supply, since it would be hard to separate the magical bullets from the regular ones, but I see that working with small units or special forces

airburst bullets? neet

well its not exactly ww1 + magic. its more like high fantasy medieval era with verdun esk trench warfare. but with the exception of guns and artillery

This is not high fantasy. It's high magic. There is a difference.

that's my new catchphrase

>WW1 aesthetic is extremely 'post-knight'. If a knightly class existed, they'd be the mages

Are you trying to say that the proud, first-born sons of noble houses wont strap themselves into their steeds, to engage their foes in chivalrous one-on one melee, twisting and turning above the commoner's battlefield, their triplanes adorned with their heraldic arms, pennants fluttering in the air, as machinegun fire lances across the sky?

Something like the 30 years war perhaps? Doesn't quite hit the trench warfare aspect, but it's perfect for the despair and dread of war part.

I find this a boring and bland representation of wizards in modern warfare. I imagine wizards being more like extremely elite shock troopers and scouting pilots.
>Wizards form a group of elite shock troopers, rapidly assault enemy trenches using their powers for close direct fire support
>Enemy machine gun? Cast fireball
>Trench lined with enemy soldiers? Once you jump in fire off a lightning bolt

Alternatively necromancy, could be used to illustrated a degeneration from the earlier ideals of the war. Originally wizards were seen as noble shock troopers, now many of them are raising the dead to continue the fight.

Thanks

The Charge of the Light Brigade happened at Balaclava, the "thin red line" was a defensive formation against a Russian cavalry charge, and the Brit Heavy Brigade was also present at the battle, so I'd wager that cavalry, while certainly diminished from it's Medieval role, still had an important part in battle.

Hell that's why so many Cavalry charges early on in the first world war failed so miserably. The cavalry commanders just refused to believe they were no longer the hottest shit and charged machine guns.

How about regular bullets look normal, while magical bullets look red and all types of weird.

Maybe they even let the user know what kind it is by touching it.

>bastard sword
Give them sword-bayonets. Accurate to the time period and it's a e s t h e t i c

Of course, Necromancy is, technically, divination through the dead.

in the same way Geomancy is divination through stones, Pyromancy, through staring into the fire.

Necromancers are Intelligence, and Counter-intelligence. Warding the dead to prevent enemy necromancers from loosening their tongues and recounting the forces' strengths and weaknesses, and using thier own scrying and divination to gather the secrets of the enemy, or even from their own troops, killed in no-man's land, their unquiet ghosts that stalk the battlefields, and see all in the spectral realms...

>hard to separate
It's not, really, since you can just colour the tip or add a band or stripe of paint to separate them during the manufacturing process.

Assuming the manufacturing process itself doesn't change them already

Nyet! I want knights en shit. As long as there are trenches and auto guns I'm all set

The magic reacting lantern is great imagery. Good job user.

Have you written anything else? This is excellent.

At first I was thinking theres no way you could shoot a gun accurately with that rifle but then i noticed the face guard can be flipped up, to clear the field of vision.
Then I started noticing other details, like the shield is shaped so it can be placed as cover and also has a point to slot the gun in to fire while on the move

I think this might be my favourite Tacticool "Knight".

I think you'll like this book.

"Over the top boys! For King, Country and St George!"

Though in that case, it's more superpowers in WW1. High magic doesn't come around until the 1930s with brands.

Why are they trying to fight a Werewolf with Crucifixed and Woodenstakes?

Im not sure user, I think I might already be triggered.

Clearly they expected a vampire, but were bamboozled.

"For the Motherland!"

"Tennōheika Banzai"

"Hakkaa päälle!"

>using a chauchat

“Für König und Vaterland !”

>chauchat
its WW1, they aslo charged out of their trenches directly at machine gun emplacements
it was a time of poor decisions all around

"Ils ne passeront pas!"

"Good show old boy, lets give old Fritz what for!"

"Britons! Your country needs you!"

This is among my favorite aesthetics
Is there a setting that uses it? Novels, etc? An RPG?

>world that is not earth
>powerful magic relatively common
>god taking active place in daily affairs
Only thing that it's lacking is monsters and the fact that it's technically portal fantasy might disqualify it from being high fantasy. Still, a similar setting could be done as full high fantasy with monsters and no isekai shit.

Nausicaa. You can skip the anime though.

warhammer 40k is closest in my opinion

but its still not very close. too much tech

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Strange_&_Mr_Norrell
a book/mini series about magic in about WW I era

so...Fantasy!30 Years War?

if youre doing the highest level sure, thats true
but the thing about 40k is that there IS a planet out there where Knights fight one another in Trench combat using Sten guns and Garands

my boi!

youtube.com/watch?v=bZpv93C0OZ8&ab_channel=TheGreatWar

WWI Airplane fighting was never romantic or chivalrous.

Dont forget Mark V Troop carriers

I have a webcomic in the works and in this backwords ass world. Armor became obsoulete and guns/magic rule but metallurgy and armor design desided to "Git Gud" Incredibly fast and medieval style knights and men at arms became more and more prevent on the field

"N'ils* passeront pas !"

i also am working on a web comic, its based on a gamma 5 campaign i had a while back... i wonder how many other comic makers are in this thread...

Man I know I have a few more pictures to contribute, but fuck me I can't find them anywhere.
So this will have to do for now.

Can we just have a round of appreciation for all those who have contributed so far? Because fuck me, Ive only seen a handful of these before!

Keep it up guys!