Mutants and Masterminds Thread!

Mutants and Masterminds Thread!
(Excuse to post builds and talk about the characters we've made I guess.)

>What kind of campaigns have you played in?

>What is the edgiest character you've seen/played?

Other urls found in this thread:

powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Superpower_Wiki
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I've played in a DC Adventure game as well as a Jojo's Bizarre Adventure campaign.

Sadly the latter campaign was canceled...THREE TIMES IN A ROW, the third time before it could even start.

Bummer. Hate it when campaigns derail at the station.

How'd the DC campaign go?

Related question:
>What is the potentially edgiest character you've played that somehow avoided going full "nothin' personnel, kid"

The DC Adventure game was...interesting. It wasn't a bad campaign by any means, it was good enough to get me to fall in love into the system in the first place. However, let's just say pic related was pretty much my PC in a nutshell.

There was another PC that wasn't much better though: A guy who snorted cocaine to access the Speed Force...somehow. The other two were both bruisers, one of them had ice powers and was the same alternate dimensin my character was, and another had a super sense and sonic scream on top of being a charmer agent.

I actually got pretty fucked early on due to the costs on some of my powers being way too high and my offenses being way too low.

GM ran the Emerald City premade adventure straight out of the book. Now I'm GMing a wild tale of heroes crawling into sewers chasing after rats.

Haven't really had any edgy characters yet, thankfully. Though I've brewed a couple that might go a bit further that way than I'd like depending on the GM's reaction (assuming I ever get to play them, that is).

First time player, buddy of mine is running a MnM game that he describes as "The Flash tv series, inFamous, and the Static Shock cartoon"

Dunno what he means beyond a particle accelerator explosion causing the massive amount of super powered folk popping up.

Decided to make an ice based hero, because theres not that many of em, and base him off of Sub Zero from Mortal Kombat because I like MK, Sub Zero, and his ending in Injustice 2 inspired me.

He's a college dropout that moved to Emerald City (dm decided to use it but place it in Northern California as "San Francisco's responsible older brother") from Los Angeles to get away from his overbearing family. He works part time at an Antique Shop as an assistant (gopher, heavy lifter, janitor) and squats in an office building the city government forgot about (and forgot to turn the water & power off) in the bad part of town rent free.

Personality-wise; he's laidback, good natured, and really hates criminals of the gangster and dealer variety, he's also not a big fan of communists as instilled within him by his grandfather. He grills burgers for the sane, sober, and/or lucid bums that live in the alley by his squatting location.

Statted him out in the demo version of Hero Lab (life saver) and then transcribed the character to a fillable pdf (attached to this post)

How'd I do for my first character (after two previous revisions)?

One summer we didn't have much to do, I said the guys to come up with their ideal superheroes, and thus the Pathfinders were born.

One of the heroes was Dark Passenger, essentially the Romanian Sniper version of Reaper from Overwatch. He was actually not even very edgy other than the fact he had darkness related powers and dressed, well, like a goth airsofter

I'll take a look at this tomorrow if I can, this thread is up, r I can remember. Seems so far that you may or may not be overpaying for some things, but I'll see.

Only got the chance to play it once. An user on here offered to run the first part to Emerald City Knights, rolled up a vigilante from the DM's kit. I didn't really do get to do much since I had to leave early but I thought the system was interesting

I've played in a silver age campaign, where we faced a villain every session.

Villains included
>evil robotmasters with a big robot of destruction
>supercriminals in funny costumes
>alien power rangers, evil conquistador version
>evil sorcerer with wax statues with our powers
>evil sorceress with mind-blasting powers in a magic place unnaground
>not!godzilla
>not!superman with a throne as a source of his power
>evil translucent dimension-walkers made of glass
>zombies
>more zombies
>our negative selves from another dimension
>the heroic selves of the supervillains in the other dimension because of a misunderstanding

It was pretty rad.
The edgiest character I've played is probably my latest superhero, a guy who can transform into energy radiation, and
>teleports behind you
>"nothin personnel kid"
>blasts away with radioactivity kamehameha lazors

I want to play MnM, where should i start? How do i convince mi group to play it?

Are you into capeshit or is the group into shounen anime? Then they might want to try out M&M for the opportunity to make whatever character they want, with the powers they want.

Start by going to the PDF thread in Veeky Forums and ask for the mutants and masterminds 3e books. Core rulebook, Game master book and maybe the power profiles book (got some good inspiration from there)

And then start convincing your friends that it's simple when you get down to it, since it only uses d20 for everything.

The problem is that i'm not into capeshit nor shounen stuff, nor is my group, plus they tend to not read the material.
I want to try MnM for the creation system, but i'm at loss at how to convice them

Only one. It was basically "Aliens landed and invaded with advanced technology, humans countered with old-school magic, Dr. Strange and Lex Luthor teamed up to defeat aliens. Now it's Shadowrun with potential leftover alien spies trying to figure out how we beat them/How Do Magic Work?"
I was new to roleplaying at the time, so I initially planned on playing a literal 'mouth of hell' construct that defeated criminals so I could eat their evil, or ate them and tossed them bodily into Hell. The GM said "Too Edgelord." To be fair, he was right.

I ended up dialing back the murdering and adding an 8-year old girl named Amy as a Ward; the construct was summoned by her father to protect her, since she's destined to be the Sorceress Supreme. They actually ended up being considered 'cute' by the rest of the party, because the girl kept riding on my shoulders, tying ribbons to the spikes on my armor, and bringing me in to show-and-tell for her school (we were told secret identities were kinda not a thing in this world), and I actually had to convince Child Protective Service being raised by a Deathjack-analog wasn't gonna mess her up too bad.
My best witness at the trial was Future-Amy, complete with Wizard outfit and dual doctorate in Theology and Astrophysics.
pic: not to scale (He was only 8 feet tall).

You're two points low on your active defenses. Might be a good idea to bump those up. You have 5 will, and 0 fortitude. That is waaay too low. Ideally, you should bump both of those up to 10.

You are heavily attack bonus shifted on everything, and are two points short on the DC to meet caps on your melee attacks. Your ranged frost bolt meets caps. I wonder, did you start of building a PL8 hero?

You have a lot of feats that negates penalties to attack when using special moves, which is inefficient when you're already attack shifted. You can take a -4 to attack, you will still likely hit. Precise Attack is a feat with some issues. Melee cover is not a thing that comes up regularily, and against concealment, you still need a way to detect the enemy before you can hit.
Ranged cover comes up a lot more and is a worthwhile investment, but again, without a way to detect the concealed enemy, you still can't attack.

About instant up and prone fighting, it's a bit of an overlap to have both.
You also have a lot of grappling feats, but I'd say your damage bonus is too low to be an effective grappler. You need more dexterity, or to drop being a dex grappler completely and build strength instead.

(cont.)
Also, some rule debating: The close combat skill applies to one type of attack only, eg. unarmed melee attacks. It can't be both unarmed, grappling, melee affliction, and all the other things you seem to have tied to it.Ranged combat skill has the same deal, but you only have frost blast tied to that.

You should ask your gm for his ruling on how close combat skill works.

In any case, I'd suggest you lower your attack bonuses to a more 10/10 shift instead. With DC 15, a lot of your attacks are going to bounce right off most targets. If you insist on going full attack shift, you absolutely need the power attack feat. You should also consider getting at least one of the luck feat.

Your powers are also built a little wonky. Remember that you can use alternate powers and power arrays to save on points.

Finally, your complications are sort of dull. Don't get me wrong, secret identity and and strong desire to do good in the world are good starting points, but how is your gm supposed to use them? Complications are tools for you and your gm to introduce some drama and suspense. How exactly is a motivation to do good going to bite Tundra in the ass?

>With DC 15,
Whoops, meant to write DC 20

Thought the DC was to resist?

Forgot to transcribe but Frost Blast is the affliction and frost bolt linked, I can see why some of my advantages are reduntant/useless.

Regarding my complications; i worked with my gm on it and he does approve, he also has a mentor but I dont think it qualifies as a complication.

So trimming a lot of fat is key here as I understand it.

What are the wonky bits of my powers?

Forgot to mention this is 3e

>So trimming a lot of fat is key here as I understand it.
Yeah, that's about it.
Your DC, as in the number your targets have to beat to be ok, are just very low on all your abilities. And it's fine, if that's what you want to, but some enemies are going to shrug off everything you do.
Overall, not terrible for a first build.

The concept is good.
There's a couple hiccups with the execution, but it's pretty much good.
Your fortitude and will are godawful and really REALLY need to come up to PL standards.
Your attacks and other defenses are only PL 9. Not a huge deal, but could definitely stand to be improved. (See below, though, regarding Favored Environment)

You're getting very little use out of your Dexterity. I'd suggest cutting it to 0, and using those points on skills and whatever else. Same goes for Fighting, though not nearly as bad there.
You've got a bunch of grab advantages but terrible strength/dex for a power level 10 grappler. I'd either cut those advantages or bring up strength. A bunch of your other advantages are somewhat questionable purchases on your character too.
Your Frost Bite power seems to be much more expensive than your Frost Bolt, meaning you should be able to soup up your Frost Bolt at no cost. Would recommend doing so.
You're using the "Environment power to create Favored Environment" trick. Normally I'd be scolding somebody for that, but you're not actually using it to break PL caps, just to meet them. Be advised that using it to break PL caps will generally get your character tossed in the "NO" box.

Or nevermind RE Frost Bolt being too cheap, did not realize that was supposed to be Linked. Teach ME to read the thread before posting in it.

3e is the default, isn't it? I don't see how it'd be anything else since his stats aren't D&D fuckery.

Sell the setting, not the system.

I have used MnM for classic space opera/Firefly, modern games, 30's pulp style supers, weird westerns and a few others.
If your players know and like D&D 3.5/5th, go with 2nd ed, it will all seem familiar to them.

use Herolab, it has a demo version.

Make a bunch of characters that fit your game.
show them to your players.
Do not let the players build their characters without your guidance, it is easy to make characters that do not fit in a specific setting.

Does anybody know of any Mutants and Masteminds storytimes?

ones that give a sense of what Mutants and Masterminds does well and what it can do passably extra appreciated but others are good too.

I remember there was one user who did a story once, you'll have to look for Mutants and Masterminds 3e on the Veeky Forums archive though, as it wasn't screenshotted. I think one of the characters involved was called Agent Holiday if that helps with the search.

Does that "villain revealing the "hero"s horrendous deeds" story count? I'm not sure if that's a MnM system story though.

Is the villain names Solomon?

I know the villain was some sort of scientist and really outmatched compared to the "hero".

Was it a bad call if I had a player's Expertise Magic skill stacking and speeding up another player's Immortality?

Not enough information to say for sure, but I'd generally say that letting Player A feel helpful and getting Player B back in the game faster isn't a bad thing.

Immortality isn't something that needs to be rolled for, and unless the magic-user in question specifically rolled to affect the other player's immortality (which you shouldn't have encouraged anyway, unless the immortal wanted it affected), they shouldn't have been able to affect it at all.

Oh, forgot to mention that the player used two hero points to jury rig and reroll using Ritual or Artificer, forget which one. Basically made stacking Immortality.

Eh... that maybe I can see, adding additional ranks to Immortality to make him come back sooner.

But had the player just used the skill as you mentioned in the previous post, no, that would have been a bad call - the skill doesn't work like that, neither does the Immortality power.

Ritualist would be creating a one-time spell, Artificer a one-time magical device.

So yeah, I can see this being okay if the magic-user jury-rigs an Enhanced yadda-yadda for the existing Immortality effect, but I wouldn't say it would count as stacking if they just said "here's a ritual spell that will make him come back faster than his regular Immortality lets him."

>So yeah, I can see this being okay if the magic-user jury-rigs an Enhanced yadda-yadda for the existing Immortality effect, but I wouldn't say it would count as stacking if they just said "here's a ritual spell that will make him come back faster than his regular Immortality lets him."
Personally, I would. Immortality is hot fucking bullshit in that there's really only a few places that adding a rank or two matters. Seriously, the practical difference between rank 8 Immortality and rank 14 Immortality is jack-fucking-shit.

Question: how would you factor Noticeable to the Environment power?

Environment has a duration of Sustained. Effects with Sustained duration are already Noticeable.

ah. If I'm power level 10, and I bump my defenses by 5 across the board with a power and it comes out as 20 is that invalid?

Your Dodge plus your Toughness cannot exceed twice your Power Level. Doesn't matter how you get them, but they can't exceed that cap.
The same goes for Parry and Toughness, Fortitude and Will, and Accuracy and Effect Rank for attacks.

fuck, i meant the power's rating comes out as 20.

Elaborate. I'm not sure what you mean.

Enhanced Trait. I use that power to bump up my Parry, Dodge, Fortitude, and Will from 5 to 10. It's a part of an Alternate Form and the power's rating comes out to 20. My character's power level is 10. Have I made an invalid power?

Ah, gotcha. You have not made an invalid power. Power Rank doesn't matter except for individual components of attacks. Since it's not an attack power, you can have the power itself be whatever rank you please and can afford.

Currently in a game set in My Hero Academia but in Los Angeles

I guess the edgiest could be one of America's top heroes, the NPC weeabo ninja hero Origami. It's all done tongue-in-cheek, though.

A buddy of mine made a character that was insane, believed his shotgun could talk to him and had darkness and teleporting powers. I think the backstory was his whole family was murdered and his gun told him to kill people.

He was also a bit of a munchkin at times and his character was essentially intangible all the time. He ended up killing that character off because of the munchkinry and general edginess.

Another player from the same group made a character that was essentially a shapeshifting cannibal.

This was supposed to be a relatively heroic campaign and he made a character that had to eat people for his powers to work. This guy was a person that almost constantly made loner characters as well, no matter what system we were playing.

Wow. Did the GM not say what tone they were going for, or did these guys just flagrantly ignore the GM on that?

Gonna be running my first game of Mutants and Masterminds tonight, I am going with the Amusement Park/Carnival lair for a one-shot. Any advice you guys might have for me?

After that I plan on running the Emerald City book plotlines.

That first character just sounds like Reaper from Overwatch but less funny.

keep a cheat sheets

1.)
-how to calculate degrees of failure/success [?]
-what degrees of success/failure on toughness checks to resist damage cause [core book pg 241]
- damage resistance matrix [core book pg 346] also recommended

2.)
- list of each PC's
* attributes (Str, Agl, Dex, Dtam, Fgt, Int, Awar, Pres)
* Attack bonuses
*Defense bonuses
* initiative
* movement speeds (ground then flight, etc. if needed)

3.)
- main measurements table [core book pg11]
- mass measurement table [core book pg 347]
- derived measurement formulas [core book pg 11 and 12]

4.)
- a flow chart or step by step description for grappling in case one of the PCs or NPCs is specced for it

My group and I actually used it to play a RWBY campaign one time. It actually worked pretty well.

storytime?
I'm really interested about running MHA games

Also good to keep a one-index-card version of all the minions and villains you plan to use. Just their combat stats, perception, and insight is generally enough.

Something I've been wondering for a while: If an attack's accuracy and rank total goes above the PL how do you decide which gets cut?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm making a javelin that when it hits the target tries to teleport them to the thrower, and I'm giving it STR-based DMG in hopes that I can poke with the weapon for some extra versatility. That'll obviously make it over PL, so I'm hoping I can just ignore the DMG in most cases.

There's no defined procedure. If the STR 10 FGT 10 PL 10 character picks up a sword, the game doesn't say how to handle that.

That said, if you have two different effects linked to each other like I'd expect (damage and teleport) you're fine so long as (accuracy + damage rank

>- mass measurement table [core book pg 347]

its actually the "Size Rank Modifiers" chart

I run a game for a group of my best friend since high school, bless their skeletons. It's BARELY mutants and masterminds. We are all kind of stupid, so it's like 95% RP and a few rolls and stats for combat. As for the game, it's just a shitty combination of MHA and OPM because im an uncreative weeb. We still have a ton of fun though. Just for fun, i'll dump some of the fan-favorite and weirder NPCs i've got.

>Lockdown; Faceless police chief who can just eliminate powers altogether. problem is, he's basically trapped at the super-prison almost 24/7 because if he leaves, everyone will immediately break out.
>Mr. Sunshine AKA Ray; A former movie star who blinded himself with his own light powers. Enjoys light puns. Shares the rank of 11th best hero with his fiance and sidekick Iris.
>The Professional AKA Sadov; Professional assassin. Think the guy from the "you see Ivan" images, only his bullshit strategies and plans almost always work.
>Crate God; A guy who wears monk robes covered in chains, and a shipping crate on his head. Essentially a competent Box Ghost from Danny Phantom
>Mirro; Some middle aged guy with a mirror strapped to his face who wears a really fancy cape. Briefly worked with the party but was killed in action when his mirror-face got shattered from the inside.
>Thermite; Explosives expert who can track and discern any type of explosive device that was used by tasting the blast residue left on an item
>Laundry Man; Pretty self explanatory. The fact he made it so high in the rankings baffles everyone
>Coward Man; Guy who is scared shitless of any and all conflict. Can only teleport away/out of danger. focuses on rescue missions.

Will post villains if anyone gives a shit.

I have never played in an M&M game but am looking into it, how would you say it compares to just making super powers in GURPS or something?

MnM seems to work pretty well with the 'rule of cool' style of play.

Oh yeah no doubt. At least, it seems to. I've no idea if im doing it correctly, so i'm not sure if i have a fair frame of reference though.

'roll a d20 plus whatever' for everything makes it so the only way you can really fuck up is if you directly ignore the numbers written for powers.

Yeap, that's exactly how i do it in one sentence. Good shit mate.

It's freeform and light. Character creation is the most complex part.

Please post more.

It's very open to your imagination but also can be easily exploited by power gamers.

No problem, friendo.

Some noteworthy villains, in descending power order.

>Don Smoke; A Mafia Don who's in the villain business to expand his power. All he can do is turn into smoke, but it makes him fairly untouchable. Loves to suffocate people to "teach em' a lesson." Nearly killed a party member the first time they met, but has since worked with the party during a gangwar,even going so far as to save their lives from he retarded underlings. (The party unknowingly saved his son's life, and he is a man who repays his debts).
>Master Midnight; The highest ranking "salary villain." He's really just their because he'wants to sell his companies inventions to the bad guys without having to go through legal trade systems. He is fairly indifferent to the party and has occasionally tried to convince one of them to join the bad guy side, to no avail. Has high level dark powers, but due to not being much of a fighter, constently jobs to other heroes.
>Crimson Chainsaw; i attempted to make a joke about an "edgy" character, and she was the result. A masochist and serial murderer who has the power of "sharpness embodiment." Actually the sister of a hero with a similar power. She keeps a bunch of sharp she "stored" on her back and can basically send them through and around her body. Currently she's killed 23 supers in ascending rank. Headed for one of my party soon.
>Rook AKA Titania Zweihander; An evil analog to the number 10 hero. She's a Big, black armored, behemoth. Has an obsession with said hero, and has nearly killed the female PC who is currently dating him out of jealousy.
>Speedway; A pretty boy who heads a huge biker gang. Deconstructs machinery and rebuilds it into whatever he wants (normally, better cars and makeshift mechs). Has fought the party twice, but holds no real ill-will toward them. Has an in game weakness against Sadov, because he was almost killed by him in one of those encounters, and had his neck snapped by him in the second.

Ran a little long, i got tons more.

What would you all say is the key to writing a good super hero origin?

Basically, don't let people take Dynamic powers since they are broken as fuck.

Out of all the breakable powers, why is dynamic broken?

Huh, I've had a few characters with edgelord backgrounds but none of them were actual edgelords.

>Geneegineered supersoldier with flying brick powers, desitegrator eye beams, chemical weapon breath and radiation blasts
Was actually raised in the most healthy and stable environment the govenment could provide because the general in charge realized that treating this guy like a living weapon would cretae a Bad Ending
>Gained his powers from a botched cultist ritual that sacrificed a hundred of the best people in the world, now burdened to carry the souls of those slain in the ritual
Actually the cop who stopped the ritual and prevented the demon from eating the souls. Has the combined skill and intelligence of a hundred doctors, scientists, engineers, detectives, artists and even two polticians.
>A weak psychic stops a Thing (John Carpenter) type of attack by forcefully dominating its mind as he dies.
Becomes a less slapstick more sarcarstic Plasticman

All three of these are great.

That depends heavily on your mythos, no?

A golden age four colour hero has a certain amount of camp expected, inexplicable logic and tie ins are permitted, even encouraged.

Generally I recommend understanding the context of the game world your game master wants to run and riff of that.

You can also work backwards. Iron Age has a gritty feel to it, silver age is semi-plausible but still often times overly convenient origins and golden age you are a doctor who is actually a god when you pick up a hammer. Internal consistency need not apply.

Anyone know how to make a lasso/whip? In this system? Making a cowboy Simon Belmont type of thing.

Long range grapple equipment, basically. It'd probably just enable you to make the 'Grab' attack at range. Shouldn't cost much.

What is the highest PL campaign you have been in?

Harlequin

Give em too us user.

I ran a mutants game myself. It was loosely based on the spirit of Worm - everyone has x-men level powers, your powers are unique, specialised and limited, and powers had to be combat-focused or at least mainly intended for use in combat.

The PCs were:
>Sorcerer - guy who could suck electricity out of things and form it into solid blue baseball-sized orbs he could telekinetically control and detonate in a kinetic blast equivalent to a small grenade going off. Dressed up like Dr Doom and flew around on a throne made out of the balls.
>Holepunch - could open small gateway portals 6 inches across. One end of the portal had to be within arms reach and facing him, but the other end could be anywhere inside his line of sight and facing any direction
>Lady-whose-name-I-Can't-remember-because-it-wass-too-long-ago - a woman in a Raven-like costume who had the power to control the powers of others. By looking at you she can "lock on" to you and control your powers. However, she can't control your body. So if she looks at you and you can shoot lasers from your eyes at whatever you're looking at she can control whether or not you shoot lasers but can't control where you're looking when you fire the lasers, or even if you have your eyes open.

I too have a truckload of villains if you want to hear about them.

Lasso=/=whip.

But take both, friendo

>>Lady-whose-name-I-Can't-remember-because-it-wass-too-long-ago - a woman in a Raven-like costume who had the power to control the powers of others. By looking at you she can "lock on" to you and control your powers. However, she can't control your body. So if she looks at you and you can shoot lasers from your eyes at whatever you're looking at she can control whether or not you shoot lasers but can't control where you're looking when you fire the lasers, or even if you have your eyes open.

How did this interact with basic enhancement powers like super speed or super strength? Or powers that involve morphing the body?

I hadn't really thought about it at the time, but the Lady had as much control over the powers as the person she targets normally has. In the case of entirely passive powers like "superstrength" (which didn't really exist in this setting anyway) she'd have little control over it. If the villain could control how much superstrength they were using at a time - like they had an imaginary slider or dial for their superstrength, ranging from "I'm holding a baby" to "kick down skyscrapers" for example - then the Lady would be able to control that, reducing their superstrength to its minimum or ramping it up so they can't hold things without crushing them. The same goes for superspeed. If they're always fast no matter what, she can't control them. If they have to activate their superspeed then she controls whether or not its activated.

Body-morphing powers like Plasticman would be terrifying, because she could control whatever you can turn into, your size, etc, essentially giving her complete control over you. Something similar to this happened when the players went up against a villain called Glutton. Glutton had the power to transform into "werewolf cannibal Hulk" but it took time for his body to change. When he and some mooks attacked the heroes' base, Lady started Glutton's transformation back into a normal human so he turned tail and ran. She couldn't control his body, but she could control whether or not he was transformed.

I'm running a campaign right now.
It started off as Edgy Iron Age heroes in a campy Golden Age setting but it evolved into its own mythos.
The group's current favorite character is either "Initial Bee" the world's greatest street racer and bee enthusiast or "Major Mayhem" who's basically John Cena with JFK's voice and current president of the free world.

Interesting.

Wonder Woman's is just an Easily Removable Move Object

With a "cannot lie" affliction Linked in.

It was either that or let the player comeback sooner with a lingering complication without the Hero Point

As to how he died in the first place, he's a skeleton who got snapped in half by a GIANT ass and rolled 4 degrees failure on a power attack that was heavily damage shifted.

How do the GMs usually handle character leveling/progression around here?

I tend to follow the book's guidelines - 1-3 power points per session.

Ascending to a different PL I handle a bit more loosely, though admittedly I haven't had much playtime in continuous campaigns to increase PL much more than a single level.

That's pretty much how I've been doing it from now on. First two games I ran had players leveling up WAY too fast and escalated things so bad that I could ever have a consistent PL to make villains at.

In my efforts to get my IRL group to play something other than D&D, one of the other GMs in the group said he'd run M&M for us. The only problem is I'm at a complete loss as to what kind of hero to make. So far no one else has touched the Not!Ironman suits, so I guess I could go that route. Anything super cool I can do with those?

Lots of things. Do you have any idea what you want the character to be able to do, or their role in combat?

Well I usually play healbot or gunslinger in other systems. The latter archetype seems like it'd just be your average not!Ironman though. How interesting can healing be in this system?

Healing can be either your action-sink, or just a thing that happens around you.

The baseline Healing effect works pretty well, but you can bump up the cost to make it a Move action to use or even a Free action. Though, you can't heal more than once per turn.
You do want at least rank 9, just because that's the lowest you can be and never fail a Healing check. A failed Healing check means you can't try to heal that guy for a full minute.
You can pretty easily put it in an Array, or if you're planning on doing reduced-action Heal&Shoot business it can be made cheap enough to leave floating.

The alternative, which is honestly a lot cheaper for group healing that doesn't take your actions, is to put Affects Others on a Regeneration effect. This will let the entire group regenerate, and you'll never have to spend actions on it unless you get taken out of commission. and have to reset it
The downside is that you don't get to roll dice and it doesn't play well in an Array.

Gunslinging is going to depend on what sort of gun. You can have a lot of fun with Linked effects, like a gravity gun that use a Linked Move Object to throw the targets around or an ice gun that freezes people in place with a Linked Affliction. Or you can just go for plain old hurt-beams, with no frills and save points for other things.

Have a browse through here for some ideas.
powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Superpower_Wiki

I think I get what you're saying. Mostly. Hypothetically, could I also throw on Affects Objects on the Regeneration as well? Maybe to flavor the battlesuit as being able to "reverse time" somewhat to fix structures and heal people. Though I have no idea how bad of an idea that might be.

Honestly I'm just throwing things at the wall to see what sticks.

>Hypothetically, could I also throw on Affects Objects on the Regeneration as well?
You could totally do that, though it'd start getting pretty expensive.

Am I the only one who doesn't get what's so overpowered about the Check Required flaw?

I had a player that had it for his elemental powers and he had to spend his hero points a few times to assure he got any worthwhile ranks out of his attacks having such a significant discount (he also had to invest +20 in the skill). Plus with the powers he had, the check made sense (convincing his elemental summons to keep by his side every time he used the power associated with them).

It's not like they can take the check as routine, and thus there's always a 5% chance no matter the bonus for them to fail no matter their skill level. The "point refund" required to 95% succeed would also not be that significant compared to other flaws.

It very much depends on how deep they go into Check Required and what skill they're using.
If they need to make a DC 15 Persuasion check for a Rank 5 power, and they already had or already wanted a +20 Diplomacy, it's basically 6 free PP for a 1/20th chance of failure per activation.

Oh yeah, and you actually CAN make routine checks for it if you have Skill Mastery.
So if you already wanted +20 Persuasion and Skill Mastery(Persuasion), you can put a DC 20 check on your Rank 10 effect and get a 11 point discount for absolutely no risk.

To be fair, he had rank 16 powers, so skill mastery would allow him to only take 10 of those ranks along with only +4 to hit at most, so skill mastery would not help him there...if I even allowed such a combo in the first place.

He was not really that overpowered in the long run in play, a lot of his powers were great for taking out the nasty crowd, but so was everyone else's. I do think that it's a significantly better option than say, the unreliable 50/50 flaw in some cases. I think a good way to balance it out is that it is still ultimately a skill check, and performing said skill check could have circumstantial penalties applied to it accordingly (which in turn could add some flavor).

I guess I'm not really about players being OP since I'm usually the one making their sheets anyway. And whatever they can do I can do as a GM 100 times worse, but since they're not munchkins I don't have to play escalation with them.