EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Half a Commander Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: What's your strangest commander? Ever seen someone run something truly bizarre?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sucker-2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I've had a Glint-Eye combat trick/pump spell voltron that was surprisingly not bad. Isperia, the Inscrutable always makes my opponents read her at least twice. My third deck ever was Cromat badstuff voltron.
Craziest I've played against is Barrin control and Verdeloth big mana, both of which I will never underestimate again.

>Isperia, the Inscrutable always makes my opponents read her at least twice
Flavor win

I know a guy who insists on using Johnny, Combo Player.

Weak

I kek'd

How does it work when you steal someone's permanent then Chaos Warp it into your deck?

Technically at that moment you're the owner. How would it work if you have different sleeves?

Owning a card =/= controlling a card.

Note down the card and bring ekstra sleeves of the relevant color

Or this

Ghave though i only use it if my playgroup
Brings out their best deck

>people actually pay $7 for a fucking Common that was just printed last year

Reminder to not support modern mastern jewish tricks

Which card?

what card?

Street Wraith

sup bb

Friendly reminder investors are killing edh and we can't have nice things until they all [] crash the market with no survivors. []

>Wizards prints Reserved Masters 2018
Post yfw

>Wizards prints Reserved Masters 2018
>Post yfw

How does this box look for a Daretti deck, /edhg/?

It's pretty much the same price than the ultimate guard one I was planning to buy on the first place, but I have to assemble this one myself

>20 life

fuck me, I didn't see that

ITT: cards you regret not buying

Black Lotus 5 years ago when it was just around $2k
Invoke Prejudice when it was only $30
Sphere of Resistance and Thalia when they were only like $2 each before Meme and Taxes

i regret not buying wheel when it was 40 and dual lands when they were below 200

No, don't start this shit. Make your own MTG investment general if you want to talk about card prices irrelevant to commander.

>popular cards that people put in their decks and talking about missing out before buying them before the price spikes isn't relevant

Why are you so scared about talking about prices of shit in your deck? Pretending like they don't exist won't change the fact that you could've gotten burned on missing out on a staple from your deck like the Nekusar autists did

The owner of the card gets the effect, not you. Same way you can't return a card that isn't yours into your hand, or have opponent's cards in your graveyard.

Can we post cards we regret buiyng?

Because all this market bullshit makes me regret buying into this goddamn game.

>played edh online for months
>lgs starts running a league for edh
>buy a precon and some upgrades for it
>nothing fancy but it'll be fun to play
>day before the league starts
>it gets cancelled
>they want to run yugioh games instead because its more popular
>o-oh ok
>my deck is just sat there collecting dust now
>nobody locally to play with
>always in work until late at night
>go back to playing it online

a-at least i tried i guess

Street wraith was last printed 4 years ago, user

>two hands in the clock
Just use it in a similar way as 2 spindowns

I just bought my first dual lands, a savannah and a bayou. There was a time when I would build three EDH deck for what i just spent on two cards...

yeah, I guess that would work

I'm going to get it

Go to the Ixalan draft on friday and actually socialize, I guarantee you'll find people who play EDH

Oh yeah I forgot a common from 4 years ago justifies the $7 price tag like the quantity is scarce

Crazy bitch. Think of it as pimp you can actually use, I guess.

I'm upset that there are no full body markings. it's like Chandra without goggles.

Cards rarely lose value outside of Standard. You could sell your shit and probably come out even.

I'm in work user. 1-10, then a 30 minute drive to the lgs. If I'm lucky I might see people leaving as I get there.

I didn't say that it wasn't stupid. It's just as stupid as pricetag on Devoted Druid.

>What's your strangest commander?
5c ruination
>something truly bizarre
chairs or hats.dek
i was very surprised when my friend's "ally tribal" deck was actually just "5c zada"
then theres this sack of shit
truly bizarre the guy thought he could get away with it
this was the deck that was included in the "monthly edh crate" along with 3 packs for 30 bucks
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sucker-2/

do it on the weekends, i was in the same boat until i just sat in the LGS on my day off from open to close and played EDH with anyone who wanted to. eventually after doing this for like 3 weeks one of the people i was playing with invited me to his kitchen table group and ive been playing with them ever since

ill play you over skype :3 at least get use out of your cards

>love playing blue
>instants give me an instant erection
>opponent tries to cast a spell
>pop a chub
>loudly declare a response
>begin stroking my dick
>tap two islands
>masturbating furiously
>cast counterspell
>bust a nut as it resolves

So hat's the average age of the people at LGS? I'd hate it if I was the oldest one there.

The top an is near 50 and the low end is close to 15. I couldn't give you an average if I wanted to.

same but with drawing cards

It finally happened guys; I finally made a sweet play that caused someone to just scoop.

>friend at local LGS is borrowing my Erebos deck
>I'm playing Zegana
>he drops a Black Sun's Zenith, I counter with Draining Whelk
>then he tries a Death Cloud
>GU, tap Alchemist's Refuge, cast Altered Ego copying Draining Whelk with X=4
>he scoops

Felt good, mang. I ended up winning two turns later by ulting Garruk Caller of Beasts and dropping some creatures to fetch Craterhoof.

at my LGS the average are is 20-30 but there are some older guys there. generally the older guys play board game and legacy though so i never really interact with them like that unless im just sitting around bullshitting with people

>tfw ramunap red is going to be the dominant standard deck until 2019 when it rotates so I cant build my waifu Hazoret the Pervert because $15+ is crazy for her

>Friend made a Karona deck that's secretly a sliver deck
>mfw

>it resolves
>implying your counterspell is going to resolve as I cast counterspell

heh, nothing personal kid

>sexual tension mounts as I slip a fresh card off the top and slide it face down across my playmat

Your resistance only makes me harder.

BLUE WEAK
GRUUL LOVES BLUE
BLUE DEFENCELESS

How long should you wait until after Standard rotation for card prices to stabilize?
I've read somewhere that prices for cards in new sets are at their lowest 2-6 months after release, but those need time to be bought and opened.

GRUUL CUT FISH

It all depends on how the metagame for standard shapes out and how much the casual market is interested.

Right now im guessing in a few months after the cauals move on from "xDDD DINOSAURS AND PIRATES!! XDDD" the entire set other than like two or three cards is going to plumbet because Kaledesh and Ahmonket completely destroy it for standard

>implying
its ok baral makes it only cost 3

You misunderstand, I mean prices for cards that rotate out such as the Eldrazi Titans.

GRUUL GOOD BOY
GRUUL BOILS FOR SAFETY

I cast Wipe Away and respond by morphing pic related, copying Mana Drain and targetting the initial spell.

gg no re

They're used in a lot of decks for legacy formats, this is the lowest you're going to see them I think right now since everyone is flipping them

>no re
thats cause you scared nigga
you just know your magical christmasland scenario isnt going to happen twice in a row

Emrakul, the Aeons Torn is the only titan used in eternal formats. Eldrazi Tribal decks just use the smaller Eldrazi like Displacer, Reality Smasher, and Matter Reshaper.

Best Orzhov commander? Most Fun one?

How cute, you think split second can stop blue.

>Best Orzhov commander?
OG Teysa
>most fun
OG Teysa sans combo

>debt is salvation
the perversion of the Church of Orzova is one of the most tragic and overlooked aspects of the MTG multiverse

I wonder if the Orzhov have been kicked out of 109 guilds before forming their own

Whoever has the most morphers wins!

Best are Teysa for the easy combos and Karlov for aggro.

I think the partners and Selenia are more interesting/fun.

Honestly, it's more tragic for the fact that there's still good in the Church. Teysa is Ravnica's Best Girl and even met with success for a time before her interests conflicting with those of her guild resulted in some nasty backstabbing.

>Best
Teysa 1.0
>Most Fun
Selenia is hilarious.

I am determined to make Blind Seer work. Right now I have a weird mix of Voltron with the Swords of x and y and a wizard tribal subtheme.

I bought MTGO whats a good 1v1 commander deck?

Umalog is used in a few timmy decks because its only 10 of any mana which is easy to each in turn 4 for EDH, its only like $8 right now and is guaranteed to go up in price

Go big mana and drop All Is Dust in a way that wrecks your opponent's lands and/or rocks.

>7 and xx per permanent

What's a fun snowflake spellslinger commander? All my commanders are super commonly used and I want something that hasn't been played to death by everyone already.

Taminoa is very snowflake because you need to make sure your group doesn't mind you playing her.

Rosheen Meanderer is a great legal option. If you use any UR general then you aren't special in any way. Wotc will literally build your deck for you if you want UR instants/sorceries and spells that copy and reduce costs.

Nin, the Titty Monster

g-gay

Don't be like that brah. I promise to wear clothes most of the time.

What do when I'm in an FFA against a Brago stax and Oloro fort?

chaos

Get under the table and start sucking dicks. It'll take a while for them to blow their loads.

I like washout and hibernate for this. Suddenly all my opponents lands are green and in their hands.
Training Grounds helps a little bit.

Can someone explain to me why the Reserved list is such a big deal? Why do so many people want it to be gone so bad? Almost all cards I saw on that list where either completely broken or complete trash.

Start instigating and hope it works, alternatively take excessive amounts of time with your turns and "responses" and become the first target so you can dip

Which general tells other players that I'm not an asshole and that I genuinely want to play for fun?

Korlash

Cardboard doesn't cost much. Objectively, the cost of production of a magic card can't be more than a couple of cents. Wizards needs to make a profit so they sell them for more than that. Players understand that, so they pay those prices, with the understanding that cards won't get /that/ expensive without seeing a reprint, and having the supply outpace the demand. The problem is that the secondary market, which is card shops, online retailers, and you, when you trade your cards to your friends, likes to make a profit as well, and the safest bet for a card that will go up in price is one that will never get a new supply. By announcing that the reserved list cards will never be reprinted, Wizards has changed these things from pieces of cardboard to rare collectors items. The supply will never increase, demand will, price will, and as people purchase more as investments the supply in circulation will only drop, leading to an upward spiral of price until only those with more disposable income than most people have income can afford them.

Lovisa Coldeyes warrior tribal

Tamanoa sounds sweet, but I don't want to risk people refusing to let me join at my LGS because of her. I also already have a Naya deck.

Rosheen on the other hand sounds pretty sweet. I'll have to loon into some sexy X cards other than a few Hydras and stuff. Having a low CMC in the deck also enables some sweet tutoring I'd imagine.

Nin would be a pretty generic UR build with some interactions for her like indestructible creatures, right? Is it possible build a deck specifically around her ability? Would sound fun to play but only Repercussion and Stuffy Doll don't seem like nearly enough combo pieces.

Nothing stops them from printing the cards and selling them through "private" channels though. People forget this.

I understand that, but the cards on this list are only important in a few formats with a small player base. The cards themselves don't even look fun to play. So they don't matter for most tournament players and they don't fit into casual play, so why does it matter that their prices are artificially bloated?

You're some kind of idiot then because there are many cards of all power levels and purposes on the RL.

You can have a shitty car at the cost of a legacy staple that's on the reserved list. For a full deck you can have a really nice car. We want to play with those cards as a game and Wizards is not letting us, because the mtgfinance hoarders are more important.

If I want a 5 color deck then having ABUR duals would be a massive boost. Guess what, all 10 ABUR duals cost almost $2000, and while I'm willing to put money into this hobby I'm not willing to put that much.