Roll20 group finding

How awful is Roll20?

I'd love to find a weekly group, but I don't know much about Roll20. I'm browsing their LFG forum, but it seems to consist of mostly Americans. I am in the EU. Will that be a problem?

I'd be happy to DM too, but I haven't learned any of their tools yet. Besides, I am a DM in real life, so it'd be nice to be a player.

Do you have any success stories with Roll20?

>Post game listing, specify system, setting and general guidelines.
>All applicants take these, promptly ignore them and apply with things that go against one or more things I specifically say I don't want

Another commonplace annoyance:
>Get PMs asking if I can run [game] at [day+time], with [setting conceits or whathaveyou] for their group of [x number of players].

On sites like this I randomly add the caveat of "Name your favorite pokemon in the first row of your application". No pokemon, no read.

This is general advice I always give to people joining groups online, applicable on R20 as it is anywhere else-

Don't expect the first game you join to be good. Don't expect it to last. You might have some fun with it, you might even be crazy lucky and get a good GM and group out of it, but the vast majority of the time you will not.

So why join at all? Networking. Get to know people. Even if everyone else in the group is shit, if one of them is a cool guy, try and keep in contact with them.

And then you keep doing it. And keep doing it. And keep doing it. Joining shitty games to meet the few good people, getting to know them, becoming friends with them, working together to find games, having someone to vent to privately about how much of an asshole That Guy is, and so on.

It can take a while. It can take weeks, months, or even years. But eventually, no matter what system or style you prefer (within reason) you'll be able to find a small, consistent group of people to enjoy playing with.

Because the sad thing about R20 public games, and publicly recruiting games in general, is that almost all of them are shitty GM's who can't keep a consistent group advertising to shitty players who get booted out of any good games they do end up joining. It forms a wall of shit around the actually good gaming groups, which are usually relatively closed and only recruit people they already know just to avoid the fuss of having to deal with one of the various shitheads in the hobby.

It's a woeful bog you have to wade through, but it can be done, and the promised land awaits you on the other side.

That's pretty smart

Alakazamm?

What system are you looking to play, user?

This is really the big thing, isn't it? You can't find a whole lot of variety on the roll20 LFG list. The only real variety are homebrews and such, usually run by people that can't be expected to make the game good.

And starting a game yourself is pretty hopeless if it's not d20-based. Most of your applicants will be retards that don't know the game or asking you to run something else for them.

D&D 5e. I just created some postings. Looking to both DM and play.

>How awful is Roll20?
Its great to play there but you shouldn't use it to find a group.

>clearly list what you want on the add
>players join and want you to change it

what compels people to do this?

Where should I look for groups?

GM to Player ratios, anonymity and general social retardation. There's no Big Book O' Social Conventions for the hobby so people just do what they can get away with. If you kick them out for pushing a different game, you end up looking like you overreacted and they can go look for another GM to bother with no repercussions.

I created a LF players post. Did I dun goofed?

The couple times i did roll20 with some randos it was cancer. The few times ive done roll20 with my friends was amazing. All depends on the group at the end of the day, just like other anons have said.

What if I say "Gabumon. Pokemon are shit."

How good is the system for private games with people you already know? Group I have is using maptools and I'm looking for an alternative.

It's not a bad thing to try, user. Just steer clear of the shit people as much as you can and try not to be one yourself.

Not that user, but you've shown you read the listing so it's all good. I personally don't agree because the best digimon is clearly Keramon, but I do agree that pokemon is shit.

Maptool has way more tools. The things Roll20 has over it is the ease of use, the mobile support (which isn't that good) and the jukebox.

Roll20 is most of the things you need rolled into one very simple to use package. You also literally just need a browser with internet access and it's free with only extremely dedicated DMs needing paid features.

Like many things in life, it depends.

The biggest factor in avoiding a lot of trash and annoyance is playing more niche games. I speak purely out of anecdotal and personal experience, but I've had no bad experiences on roll20, or in gamefinder threads here on /tg.