In your opinion, should beastfolk have significantly different diets from humans...

In your opinion, should beastfolk have significantly different diets from humans? Should those diets mimic their animal counterparts, or should they change to accommodate the different ecological niches they would inhabit? Would they choose to domesticate different animals than us?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/tAcnHgZ1
youtube.com/watch?v=SkJGLCleFmI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Well, biologically speaking, sapient apex species are most likely to be omnivorous, no matter how they look. So if you're making deerpeople, maybe they eat bugs or fish, but not terrestrial meat? It's a bit more believable that way, and just an example of how you can use herbivores but explain why they were able to develop sapience.

Well if they can eat the same food considering how much less time it takes to bring someone else's domesticated animal and breed it than it does to domesticate your own I would argue that would probably vary more by region than humanoid species.
If they can't then they would probably have their own
Even if they have different origins though on a practical level I wonder just how much sense it would really make for the various demi-humans to have very different diets though? I guess it wouldn't be too shocking if particular things that are toxic to one species aren't to another, but on the broad spectrum I wouldn't think they should be too different

carnivorous beastfolk exclusively prey on other species of beastfolk

Sheeple (sheep based beastfolk) would not domesticate any other close-cropping herbivore, as that would be competition for the short and tender young shoots they prefer to graze on.

>carnivorous beastfolk exclusively prey on other species of beastfolk
Not sure if magical realm but kind of want?

There's kind of an issue with that.
Wouldn't the Herbivore Beastfolk just rally and take those fuckers down? If they're wholly sapient there's no way they'd just sit back and just be food. And then there's the likelihood Herbivores outnumber their predators because that's usually how that math works.
Either Carnivores are run to near extinction and exist in small enough numbers to kill and eat Herbifolk without them assembling a constant force to hunt them down, or they decide that prey that can go to war with you just isn't worth it.
Or maybe they could have "Beastfolk farms" which are basically slaves kept for the sole purpose of eating, but again it'd probably be much more logical to just eat regular stupid animals that you don't have to worry about revolting.

I like to do that, but it limits what I can do with the race. An obligate herbivore would be utterly worthless for anything because they have to spend most of their time eating. Obligate carnivores can't efficiently sustain themselves with agriculture, so they have to control a vast territory to hunt on, run very wasteful animal farms or become dependent on another species. Dietary differences further create logistical problems; that fox-woman guide you hired has great legs, but she'll need specially prepared food the rest of you can't eat, and is going to keel over and die if you feed her grapes or chocolate. In practice, it's best to tone it down unless your players are into survival aspects of the game.

Thats actually a topic I've wondered about for some time. Assuming sentience on both sides, would a strictly carnivore species be able to coexist with a non carnivore species?

If you play into the concept of "All life is precious" you have grounds to argue for it but I still don't know how such a scenario would be possible without slave farms or spoils of war from an unrelated party or something similarly ridiculous.

It depends if there are "lower life forms" to eat.
At the very least an uneasy peace can be met between the two. The Herbivores can't be full on vegan "no animal can be eaten" and the carnivores have to have a clear line at respecting sapience as the line of what can't be eaten. Most humans have culturally respected boundaries of what you can't eat, even with nonsapient animals and cannibalism is almost universally taboo.

Native mesoamerican societies had a fairly visible split between the ruling class and the masses, both cultural and religious. I could see a society where the fairly docile prey class offers their own as sacrifices to their predator overlords, under coercion or out of superstitious fear. After all, if you don't skin 66 babies alive, roast them in fire and then rip their organs out while they still live, maize won't grow next year.

I make them omnivores but give them a bent in either direction. Goat people? They prefer to have more vegetation in their diet than humans, but can and will eat meat. Cat people? Lot more meat, but they can and will eat vegetables.

Make sure some staples overlap well (everyone can eat grains, for example) to avoid too serious problems. As an example, if you have a character who is purely carnivorous and a character who is purely vegetarian, not by choice, you've created a scenario where if one of those two loses their pack, they can't share any rations. Second, avoid letting herbivores get free food too easily- I don't care if he's a deer man, he's not allowed to graze on fur trees. Third, take these diets into consideration when considering their stat bonuses and penalties. In general i would say that herbivores should get + to dex, con, or cha, and - to str, wis, or int, while predators should get + to dex, str, int, or cha, while getting - to wis, con. These rules obviously aren't set it stone, but, y'know... ideas.

>and is going to keel over and die if you feed her grapes or chocolate.
This part is ok to keep. But as you said for the sake of simplicity it is better to just have them eat the same basic food as normal humans. Giving the beastfolk these little dietary quirks adds a nice touch of flavor for the race, but doesn't get in the way mechanically.

>animals have to work together to use what humans have wrought
yeah fuck that moose cunt, poison the squirrels and what is he? A talking battering ram and nothing more.
gas the animals, let nothing survive that isnt overseen by humans, show them the price of rebellion.

There's a shitty cgi kids movie made last year in which they pretend to answer this question but never bother to explain what the fuck carnivores eat, so it's mostly there to create the next generation of furries while letting everyone pretend that liking it for the message somehow makes them better people.

The shape of those horns make for absolute perfect handles.

Might want to take a look at "Tooth and Tail" where everyone eats meat, even the herbivores so they get by through eating each other and pigs who don't mind and are treated as lesser beings. They can eat plants and stuff, but consider it food for beasts.

here ya go.
pastebin.com/tAcnHgZ1

Deer have been known to eat meat readily given the circumstances. There's a bunch of videos of them just grabbing birds off the branch or the ground and chewing them alive. Scientists at one point just left a bunch of meat in the forest with a camera and deer would beat every other animal most of the time.

Most animals aren't solely carnivores or herbivores.

As unintentionally hilarious as it often is, Beastars is a decent reference point for this dynamic, simply because the author put a lot of thought into the setting.

The equivalent to the WWI happened when largely unrelated carnivore and herbivore groups basically dragged every other species in via system of alliances. The war was short but traumatic enough to basically force laws against any species being eaten in every country. Carnivores mostly have to get protein from plants or insects and when possible usually eat seperatley. The obvious problem being that carnivores are still carnivores and the black market for sentient flesh is thriving, with numerous organized gangs kidnapping people, forcefully breeding people just to eat, smuggling dead people out of prisons and hospitals, or just selling off their own body parts for a quick buck. This is all VERY illegal but the government mostly turns a blind eye to it, seeing it as a release valve on society and a source of embarassment if things ever blow up and get worse.

Obviously this is bad for herbivores, but the average carnivore isn't really much better off since they're forced to subdue their own instincts, and if they snap the average person isn't really psychologically prepared to deal with eating people and things can turn ugly and unpredictable in numerous ways.

The book takes numerous freedoms with how weapons actually work. I remember a strip where a turtle was walking around with a missile launcher strapped to its shell, with no firing mechanism.

It's kind of like zombie movies. You have to take numerous liberties with how things would actually work to actually tell a story.

Mesoamerican societies didn't often sacrifice their own people, though, they most often had wars to obtain sacrifices. In cases where they did sacrifice their people, it was almost always either slaves, volunteers from higher ranks (depending on the particular ritual) like priests or priestesses, or ball game losers (maybe, we're not actually sure if the loser's team were genuine losers or captives forced into a rigged game).

Maaaan, Hotline Miami 3 went to some weird places.

Herbivores can eat small quantities of meat. It's carnivores that have trouble with herbivore food, because leaves and grass are really shitty food.

They ate processed insect protein, and fish too I think?
The original concept of Zootopia involved all predators having to wear shock collars that curbed their violent impulses, which meant pretty much any excited emotion. There was even a scene where a bear cub had the equivalent of a bar mitzvah, getting his first ever shock collar and quickly realizing life is terrible for carnivores.
youtube.com/watch?v=SkJGLCleFmI

Someone realized that this was all depressing as fuck and would not fly and so we got happy go lucky not so dystopian furry land instead.

You could probably get away with feeding them the peacefully deceased if the predator population is proportionally small enough. They'd probably end up with severely restricted breeding rights to keep things "safe"