How do Magic schools handle disgruntled students?

How do Magic schools handle disgruntled students?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4cZqRzHnI8s
liveleak.com/view?i=399_1357408167
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The staff are all much better at magic than the students.

Isn't Columbian at Hogwarts basically the last book?

Admittedly a story where Neville snaps and blows Hermionies brains out would be fucking hilarious.

Well if magic is the equivalent of having a gun then a magic school is a school where all the students have guns.

Whether that makes it safer or more dangerous is a matter of debate.

Magic damping fields.

School shootings don't happen in the wizarding world because half the teachers are the equivalent of ex-soldiers, and walk about the school heavily armed.

Seriously, Voldemort put down every auror team - basically the equivalent of magical special forces teams - the Ministry of Magic sent after him, yet Dumbledore sent Voldemort running with his tail between his legs. And a lot of the teachers Dumbledore hires seem to be former members of his paramilitary organisation (the order of the phoenix). If any of the students at Hogwarts tried a columbine, they'd curse their first victim and then immediately get hit by half a dozen stun spells.

Fun fact: at least two of the teachers at my private school were ex-SAS, and we never had a school shooting. Meanwhile the state school down the road had an attempted murder just last year.

I would love for someone to tweet to JK Rowling that her books support the NRA's position that school shootings would drop dramatically if teachers were armed.

What is the Harry Potter vs Moore stuff?

>the teachers r so powerful
>meanwhile harry potter is the one who has to solve every dangerous scenario every year

yea ok. Harry potter is essentially a tale of the ineptitude of teachers from the way I look at it

To be completely fair, a lot of the problems go after or can be solved by Harry specifically because he's Harry.

>Fun fact: at least two of the teachers at my private school were ex-SAS, and we never had a school shooting. Meanwhile the state school down the road had an attempted murder just last year.
A sample size of two schools and one year aside, what are the demographics of the kids whose parents can send them to private school vs. the ones that have to go to public school

Now you know why there's so many "Dumbledore is idiotic/evil" fanfics

>What is the Harry Potter vs Moore stuff?
I wasn't going to look it up but since you typed it out I just had to right-click and google it.

Apparently Alan Moore put a HP-expy "boy wizard antichrist" in a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

I always interpreted it as "Dumbles doesn't give a shit". At least until the fifth book when he begrudgingly got off his dusty old ass because he couldn't count on "Harry can fix it" anymore.

Sounds nifty. How'd it go?

I mean, he was 150. If I was that old I wouldn't give much of a shit about anything either.

Which is entirely addressed in books 5-7. It didn't have to be Harry, could have been Neville, but Voldemort chose Harry o obsess over and bind himself to

Aurors are more Magic FBI. If Magical Law Enforcement is law and order, Auror Office is criminal minds

Isnt Voldemorts entire existencea testament to how badly the community is prepared to handle a single aspie

Probably mind-reading spells that alert the professors if a student is planning an attack.
Also:
>how harry potter should have ended
youtube.com/watch?v=4cZqRzHnI8s
Just sub in the appropriate characters in your mind while imagining the final scene of the last book. Would have vastly improved it imho desu.

Could a literal school shooting, with guns and such, happen at Hogwarts? I know Muggle tech meshes terribly with magic, for "reasons," but the principles guns work on aren't super complicated.

Holy shit, somebody else has seen that movie.
Kudos, user.

Basically, Moore made Tom Riddle into a teacher at Hogwarts who raised Harry Potter to be the Antichrist. Once Harry learns of his destiny, he goes mad and goes on a magical school shooting., then runs and hides for years The three remaining members of the League attempt to kill him, Harry fights back by jizzing lightning, then our lord and savior Mary Poppins comes down, disses Rowling, and melts Potter. Some people took offense to this and saw it as part of some long-standing evidence that Moore is going bonkers in his old age. You decide.

Easiest way to handle it - restrict where and when students can use magic. Take the HP example - most of them need wands to cast. To keep aspies from pulling a Columbine, the teachers would keep wands under lock and key until they were needed for spell training and only used with direct supervision. Yes they need to choose their wand and vice-versa, but that can also be handled with direct supervision. HP is a bad example because it falls under the common children's literature trap of all of the adults somehow being useless shits.

Don't have it on this machine, but there's a screencap of someone talking about how Harry should have carried a 1911, someone post it.

That would make it rather difficult to practice would it not? Or for the teacher to give demonstrations.

Though, I would believe that the headmaster, or campus security, would be proficient in the anti-magic arts.

It doesnt, actually. Hogwarts has specific anti-tech spells, but there's nothing inherently anti-tech about magic in general.
Besides, compared to a computer, a gun is a pulley or a wedge.

The problem is that according to Rowling, wand casting is a Yuropoor meme. Other cultures have different foci. African wizards don't use them at all.

Ah, gotcha. Haven't read the books since Deathly Hallows released, and I mistakenly thought that part of Mr. Weasly's Muggletech fetish had him trying to make it work alongside magic.

I don't think I'll ever see another thread for which my question is semi-relevant.

Why don't wizards in HP also carry guns? (or other weapons)

Oh he was. The problem isn't that magic and tech don't mix, it's that he has zero idea how tech works.
He can't even figure out how to dress like a muggle without help.

Because it's a series aimed at 10-year-old children.
In universe, it's because wizards are stuck in the Middle Ages and wouldn't know how to work one. Also, guns are something Muggles use, and the magical master race would never stoop to using Muggle shit.

Keep in mind the movies misrepresent that sort of thing. No Malfoy has ever been shown wearing modern clothes in the books, but everyone in the school wears them more often than the uniform robes in the movies.

Literally banned in Britain.
Even if they did, dunno how good a shield charm is against a bullet. If it's already cast, good luck. If not, you might be able to silent cast in time. that's a big maybe. Probably not.
What I'm saying is, I want one of the students who paid attention in Muggle Studies to choose a nice tower, conjure up a moist nugget that he learned about while on /k/ for a project, and snipe Voldy during his monologue.

It'd need to be after Harry's death for it to take. Horcruxes n' shit.

I never liked the non-use of robes in the movies.
Like it's not a "stuffy boarding school uniform" thing, it's just what wizards wear. Wizards wear robes. That's it.
Wizards wearing casual muggle dress without explaining how they know how t works when they're a sheltered wizard kid like Ron is stupid. Hermione and Harry? Perfectly fine.

At the very end, Harry comes back but pretends to be dead, Voldy is monologuing. Then Harry stops pretending, fight breaks out but then it's just the two circling each other trying to figure out who has the I Win button. two great opportunities

Reminded of this sketch: liveleak.com/view?i=399_1357408167

Wasn't it like half of the DMLE couldn't cast a shield charm?

This makes me curious. Have the other magic cultures embraced modern innovations? Harry Potter takes place in the 90s IIRC, so I imagine most Mahoutsukai students have to be familiar with them considering Japan's post-war development. Hell, skip fifteen years into the future and students of some muggle heritage will probably know how to use cellphones or computers.

>wizards
>noticing muggle wars
Pick one. Also, Britain was fucking bombed by the Nazis and STILL in the fucking 80s they need to be told "a gun is a kind of metal wand muggles use to kill each other"

>Voldy is monologuing, Harry looks down for the count
>WHRRRRRRRR
>"I HAVE FINALLY... what the fuck is that?"
>A quadcopter with the sword of griffindor stuck to it runs Voldemort through
>Mr Weasley emerges, triumphant
Fucking hell

There be better be a GoPro duct taped to that shit
>"if you play it in slomo you can see the exact moment his heart rips in half"

Why does the wizarding world have poor wizards? Don't they cast spells on tools to make them do work? How is there not a surplus of absolutely everything? Why don't the muggle governments demand free shit from wizards?

>"And the rest of him, too"

1. Their economy still runs on shiny rocks with the dumbest denominations ever
2. We never really see how the average wizard makes money. Like the Weasleys only had one parent working, a low-tier govt job but spread out over 7 kids god damn no wonder they're poor. Like diagon alley is The Place in London to shop, but they also say that Godric's hollow is the only all-wizard town in the country, which means they either all live out in the boonies like Weasleys and Lovegoods, in manors like Malfoys, in slums like Snapes, or they live in hiding among muggles. They must have normal jobs, then.
Then again, Hogwarts as a school is so small that the English magic population is really small, and the bureaucracy so expansive, that pretty much everybody must have a government job.
3. Statute of Secrecy. Minister of Magic only appeared to a prime minister when shit was going down.

Also, conjured objects don't last very long, apparently

It's not exactly the best written world in fiction, user.

Unless I'm not remembering correctly, Mrs. Weasley would cast a spell and a broom would sweep or the spoon in the pot would stir. Why not get a saw to cut boards or seeds to plant themselves in a garden? Seems like it would be super easy to create more housing and food than all the wizards combined could need.

Well they do make their own housing. In fact, Hogwarts and the Burrow are explicitly not structurally sound, and de held up and together by magic. If someone put either in an anti-magic field, they'd collapse.

>Anti-tech spells
A gun is one of the simplest pieces of technology on earth, it's entirely mechanical. How the hell could you keep that from working?

Exactly. The only time it's mentioned is speculation of how Rita Skeeter was spying on them. Harry mentioned the possibility of secret recording devices like microphones, and Hermione shoots him down.
Also, I would have totally fucked Rita Skeeter.

MAGIC

If you could create a field that stops fire/combustion it would stop guns. Or something that keeps things from moving above a certain speed.

HP seems to be very vague about what is actually possible with spells since it's just a list of individual spells so it's anyone's guess what is actually possible to do.

Depends on the setting.

The last books were shit compared to the first ones but I kinda liked that part. I didn't really understand it at first because I haven't read the HP books or watched the movies but once I googled it my reaction was "oh... cool".

Why didn't hogwarts just enchant the stone statues to protect the school.

>malfoy walks in
>starts sneaking around
>tries to poison dumbledor
>chopped in half by stone statue

Doesn't that mean that harry has a huge advantage?
a) knows how magic works
b) knows how tech works

They do, but a teacher needs to activate them.
The problem is that Dursleys never let him near their precious computers. He tried out Dudley's PlayStation when he got MegaMutilator 3 and they were out of town, but that was it.

More or less. That advantage only grows as non-magic tech advances.
>Year 200X
>dumb wizards still make a big deal about apparition and don't let you do it unless your licensed
>meanwhile us "mudbloods" have been zapping around literally everywhere on teleporters for the past few millenia now
>fuckers can't even apparate off-planet, what's so great about it

There are other reasons:
>Avada Kedavra's a curse that needs a powerful bit of magic behind it — you could all get your wands out and point them at me and say the words, and I doubt I'd get so much as a nosebleed

Also they're in the UK. They have very few guns there, better social services, and one of the lowest gun-homicide rates in the world. I doubt most of those kids could get their hands on a firearm even if they knew what a gun was and wanted to get one. Even if they did, they'd probably just get it taken away and have a zillion points deducted from their house.

Also witches and wizards are technologically-illiterate to the point of comedy. The only one who is even known to own a car (Arthur Weasley) is considered a muggle-obsessed freak. The chance of any of them going out of their way for an inferior muggle weapon is laughable, much less going through the training to use a firearm effectively against resisting targets.

Also there are many kinds of guards and other forms of security at Hogwarts, most of which would just laugh at small arms. Even house-elves would run circles around a muggle gunman. One student with Expelliarmus could stop a gunman in seconds or less from any distance.

And wizards and witches are overall well-off and generally well cared-for, especially the ones that get into Hogwarts. Kids who get in there are pretty much set.

> Fun fact: at least two of the teachers at my private school were ex-SAS, and we never had a school shooting.

That's quite the accomplishment.

>hey have very few guns there, better social services, and one of the lowest gun-homicide rates in the world.
Small amounts of guns of course means less gun-homicides. The more telling statistic is overall homicide rate (UK's is 0.92; US is 4.88, by comparison).

What I've always like is the idea of the Unforgivable Curses. It really holds up as part of the setting. To use them at all is to cast humanity aside, to treat a person as an object, to harm, manipulate and dispose of as you please.
Death Eaters and Voldemort are so frightening because they can walk into a room and fire a UC off on any given person.

Wizards is true kino.

If magic is a gun, then the average student has something akin to a 9mm or maybe an ar-15 if they are an upper classman, while the staff has .50's and grenade launchers. the headmaster likely has a nuke or two up his sleeves.

yet the european wizards can cast some of the mightiest spells with great accuracy without using ritual-level magic.
>american here, just pointing out a fact.

Potterverse magic is not "a gun", however.

There weren't any homeless, were there? I also don't think anyone was starving to death in the series.

Yeah, it looked like they got the basics covered. Didn't even poor people get treatment when they got hurt/sick? So it's all socialized. Money is just for luxuries.

Then again, everyone is magic and it's not like it'd be hard for them to grab a piece of land, charm it against muggles and just do their own thing to survive.

>Implying that a country a fraction of the size of the U.S having a lower homicide rate than the U.S is impressive
Come back to me when you also have to deal with a mafia-run nation on your border

There are no rituals in HP tho.

That's per-capita iirc...country size wouldn't really matter since why they have lower killings they have lower population.

Just offering a powerlevel comparison.

Except its does matter.
Percents of 65 mil vs 323 mil.

There are other factors at play. The U.S is essentially a conglomeration of 50 self governing territories spread out over a massive distance. It's a little harder to enforce any form of regulation than on an island nation. Also, you guys have way fewer black people than us

i thought there were some hinted at somewhere, namely that creating a horcrux required the use of powerful magic (killing curse) in a specific way to create a powerful magic item (a shard of voldemort's soul capable of nearly killing someone as a defense against destruction). basically, it depends on what you consider a ritual and what you don't.

>69 replies in and we are talking about race
>good job Veeky Forums

You do understand how percentages work, right? Per-capita is designed to help evaluate such things without the relative populations pushing things out of scale.

Sure there is. They brought Voldemort back from baby form with one using his enemy's blood and the arm of one of his followers.

Where do you think you are dude? Veeky Forums is usually pretty calm, but this is the website which both coined and popularized the term "double-nigger"

Homicide rate in the U.S. is largely tied to gang violence, which in turn is tied to race. Blame the guy who brought up crime statistics in the first place.

Per-capita rates already control for population size.

Even then, out all fifty states only New Hampshire has a smaller murder rate.

But it doesn't control for demographics and geography, which are both very relevant factors.

Wizards are deeply stupid on many levels and they already all carry wands that work as high caliber handguns, short range explosives, and stun guns all in one along with all their noncombat uses. Also in the third book a wizard newspaper has to define what a gun is for the benefit of their readers because they literally wouldn't know what they were otherwise because all the wizards basically think muggles are children and nothing they've made could possibly be worth notice.

Judging by how they describe shield charms most people who can cast a good one would be fine against handguns but I'd guess that very few would be able to keep a shield up against stuff like a sniper rifle or anything automatic.

Yes and no. I think that might technically have been a "potion." Cauldron, ingredients, etc.

Though I suppose you could make the argument that all potions in the HP universe are rituals.

>Implying anyone has the reaction time to cast a spell before a bullet hits them.
Haven't we had this discussion nearly 30 times now?

Didn't the twins make hats with automatic shield spells that the ministry of magic bought the designs for due to exactly that reason? They made reaction time not a factor.

We're talking about a world where based on the information provided there are only about 1,792 kids of school age in the worldwide magical community. The short answer is: "Because Rowling is not a good worldbuilder"

It would depends on the trigger though, they aren't constantly active, but reactive without requiring user input. Hell, we don't even know how quickly the shield itself activates, regardless of incantation/casting involved, we see explicitly in the movies that the warding spells cast on Hogwarts take a good bit of time to go up, definitely long enough for a sniper round to go through.

I'm not implying that at all, that would be absurd, but there doesn't seem to be any reason at all why a wizard WOULDN'T have a shield charm going literally all the time if they know how to cast one.

Never read the books, but did they ever go into detail about magic or did they keep it as vague as the movies?

Unless it ONLY protects against common offensive spells, in which case the wizard duels make no sense, it couldn't possibly be a continual effect. Hell, if it worked on bullets and was continuous, how do they hold quills? Play sportsball? Get papercuts?

There was a lot of other dumb bullshit (Peace deserved better dammit), but goddamn that final battle was a masterpiece.

Mind you, the school shield could have taken time due to the sheer amount of space needing to be covered.

I think it all comes down to 'Who is writing the story' (And hopefully not Big Yud)

Super vague, they go into very slightly more detail about silent spellcasting (it basically just makes it harder to cast the spell) and in the last book Hermione mentions some law of wizarding thermodynamics that means you can't create food from nothing.

Eh, hard to say. The movies absolutely get the magic wrong (nearly every spell used in combat has the exact same fucking effect, for example), but "vague" is a pretty good word to describe it regardless.
Inconsistent would be another.

Problem with mugglestuff mixing with magic stuff is muggles getting their mitts on magical stuff.

Or getting eaten by it or whatnot.

I would define a ritual as a spell that isn't just instacast, specifically needs time to prepare and specific components.
In HP, that's just potions. Long casting times aren't really a thing.

>Unless it ONLY protects against common offensive spells
That's actually a good point, I don't think a shield is ever mentioned reacting to anything but an enemy's spell.

They're also all blue now.

I would put it down more to prison and drug legislation being pants on head retarded, and poor mental health and education policy. I wish my cucked country would give us guns.

He's hardly the only person who was exposed to muggle shit at Hogwarts, it's just that apparently when you start using magic it turns you retarded because even though it's explicitly stated that most wizards are halfblood not a goddamn one knows anything about technology.

The teachers in my school were all old geezers with no background in military and yet we still had no school shootings.

But then again I don't live in a third world shithole like America.