EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"Can't let you do that" Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: What makes your table salty, /edhg/?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rith-buddies/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/edgar-markov-edh-v2/#c3161810
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rith-buddies/

Still looking for help with cutting. Ignore the lands for now, those will improve.

Eternal Witnessing back Oblivion Stone. Often, Bane of Progress.

At least from my decks. They're pretty casual decks.

>What makes your table salty?
Forgetting to take out the Sol Ring from my deck again after playing in the store with random people earlier in the week that aren't pussies and are fine with it.

I don't ask anyone to take out sol ring, and I do use them myself, but i kinda understand. If I could, I would ban sol ring from commander, it's stupid to have a card so good that basically makes the format into Sol Ring + 98. Without to mention that I'm fucking tired of hearing that I won because they didn't draw their sol rings early.

>tfw Meren player keeps on reanimating Bane of Progress every turn vs artifact/enchantment decks

>tfw you find out you've been playing with 101 cards for weeks

I haven't changed my Cat C17 deck at all other than adding an Ajani to it. I'm thinking about adding these card to it to upgrade it but other than that it seems like there's not much upgrades for it.

Temple Garden
Sunpedal Grove
Adorned Pouncer
Heroic Intervention
Lost Leonin
Path to Exile
Rancor
Regal Caracal
Skuhunter Skirmisher

I can either buy all of that to make my Cat deck more fun or buy one (1) Mikaeus the Unhallowed for around the same price. Which would you guys do? I only have two decks

If you enjoy the cat deck more, upgrade it.

I like my Marchesa deck more but the cat one is fun too

Just buy mikaeus first, then save up to really upgrade cats later with everything you want, not just those few

I wish they'd just mass print some Sol Rings and Command Towers since I don't like disassembling the precons for parts or buying a bunch of them as singles.

Commander + 100? I made that mistake on one of my decks for a bit

>playing with pissy faggots

I would just find a new playgroup if someone is so bad they're crying over Sol Ring. Tell them to stop being a brianlet and run artifact hate to stop opponents from ramping

Get Mikaeus now then formulate a list of shit you want to put in your Cat deck because there's more than a few cards that go great in there.

Yes, I've been fiddling with the deck and managed to make a bunch of swaps without counting the total until today

>mfw playing Zur
I can see why my group hates playing againt it

>Thread Question: What makes your table salty, /edhg/?
a few guys i play with get really salty when they are winning and the rest of the table starts working together. a common refrain is "oh wow, it's like i'm playing archenemy now".

it's like they don't understand how multiplayer politics work or something...

While buying boxes to crack packs looking for cards is a bad idea, the same argument does not apply to buying boxes to draft or do sealed with friends. You're getting value from the cards you open by playing with them. They're not just going straight into the bin.

Hey, Baney did nothing wrong. Don't pin Meren's crimes on him.

I'd prefer a monogreen Purify, to be honest. Wave is too much mana.

Few things are better than when all opponents open with a sol ring followed up by multiple signets, mana crypt, grim monolith and gilded lotus etc, then you drop a Bane of Progress on the board played off your own fast mana and watch them all scoop from keeping a 2 land hand.

Mikaeus is a boring as hell linear combo card so I wouldn't buy him, even though I own a foil from when he was worthless.

Currently thinking about what my fourth deck should be.
Gishath and OjuTaigam are my two contestants and I have no clue which one I'd rather want.

I currently have Kaalia Angels, Atraxa Goodstuff, Inalla Tribal and am looking for a fourth one. Gishath is up there as a candidate because the deck is going to be fairly cheap, straight forward and has a ton of blowout potential. I also don't really have a "beat face in" deck yet. Downsides are that he's going to be overplayed as fuck for a while now, has little freedom for deck building and would be my third tribal deck.

Taigam on the other hand would be my first spell heavy deck (I'd probably just play him + voltron equipment for protection + 50-ish Instants and Sorceries), a lot more open-ended what to do with the deck, fairly rare to run into, not draw as much hate immediately as "ramp to 8 by turn 5, then kill people" and can be played as a control heavy deck, which none of my others are either. Obvious downsides are the probably way higher cost due to Time Warp and Temporal Manipulation, among other things, and that the deck's going to be screwed by super go-wide decks.

Thoughts, opinions, recommendations?

>indestructibility
mot a huge fan of this card, quite a few exile effects in edh. i prefer totem armor cause it does something additional.
>mentor of the meek
i don't really feel like this card draw is good enough.
>dragon broodmother
2rrrg is an awkward price for a naya deck and i don't really feel like the effect meshes well with the deck.
>nulmage shephard
why not just aura shards
>thallid germinator
turns 1/1s into +1/+1. not a huge amount of utility, could be cut.
>hellkite hatchling
i think there is such a thing as too much devour? this card seems weak compared to many similar cards in your deck. if you really want to devour shit there is always thromok.
>swiftfoot boots
i know i'm a minority but i rarely run both greaves and boots.
>farseek
not a fan of 2cmc 1 land ramp spells.
>primeval bounty
kind of off theme and clunky imo
>harrow/tempt
not my favorites

slate of ancestry is a good way to draw cards if you have lots of creatures. iroas could be good? assemble the legion is decent. teferi's protection is good. fell the mighty is a doran favorite that could sweep everything but your tokens.

>not a fan of 2cmc 1land ramp spells

Nigger literally what the fuck is wrong with you? Has anybody ever been more wrong?

Why is Tymna considered tier 1?

I just bought six relentless rats from my lgs and I want to build something with them just for the memes.

Who should my commander be, and how do I get 24-30 more cheap?

>muh diversity

Marrow-Gnawer, of course.
No point in playing rat tribal if you're not using the best rat tribal card as your commander.

Primeval bounty is one of my favorite cards, and I try to fit it in every deck, but I agree it can go. If I'm dropping indestructibility, should I also lose Shield of the Oversoul? It's cheaper and gives +2/+2, but also doesn't do anything versus exile effects

same reason i don't run llanowar elves or wild growth, you are spending 1 card for a single mana ramp. sure a land is less susceptible than a creature and to a lesser degree an enchantment, but the card just isn't impactful enough to earn a slot.

cEDH shitters never play creatures, so someone made a list that focused around the fact that they'd never be able to block and Tymna would provide a lot of free value.

>Primeval bounty is one of my favorite cards
that's a good reason to keep it.
>should I also lose Shield of the Oversoul?
nah i think shield is pretty fun and worthwhile. very versatile.

So you don't run any artifact ramping for 1, i.e. signets and Commander Sphere either?

Oh, and I'll add that it was originally entirely devour-themed, that's why hellkite hatchling and the dragon broodmother ended up in there

Honestly, I understand wanting more value from your ramp spells when your commander costs 6 mana. Cultivate or Kodama's Reach go much further towards getting you to 6 mana. I wouldn't run any signets in a deck with a majority of green mana anyways.

That said, I still run some 2 mana ramp spells, like Nature's Lore, that card is great.

Is O-Kagachi Kamigawa tribal viable? This is for casual tables, not cEDH shitters.

>tfw run Sylvan Scrying and it doesn't even ramp by itself

Anything is viable for casual tables, I have a friend who loves Kamigawa and has made multiple EDH decks using them as themes, they work just fine in a casual setting.

Unless the other decks are Hope of Ghirapur 99 Wastes no.

Should I drop Sidar Kondo? I like that he makes the saprolings pseudo-flying, but the idea behind the deck was that I didn't want to make a 'swing wide with tokens' deck unless I really had to

Yeah, it is fine. It triggers Spiritcraft and can be soulshifted.

>This is for casual tables,
Everything is viable in casual

i've played every format besides commander. looking to get into it, not really sure what i want. guess i could ask for some tips.

here are some commanders i've been thinking about:
-king macar
-gonti
-grenzo (both)
-depala
-UW daxos
-kami of the crescent moon
-shu yun
-sram

depala, and macar both have vehicles, just macar has goodstuff black cards and depala has a shitload of old dwarves.

shu yun would be a fun little vehicles deck.

gonti, daxos, and R grenzo are because i raelly like to play other people's cards, i like "never have the same two games" kinda commanders

sram would be ...well, sram shit

>Turn 1
>Forest, manabond, drop the 6 lands in my hand, including Selesnya Sanctuary and a temple of the false god
>Turn 2
>Drop Gishath, swing, peel 7 dinosaurs off the top of my deck in a row, including Verdant Sun's, Ferocidon, and Sunwing

Y'ever had a start that just made you want to fucking party hard, /edh/?

i run signets. they are really good color fixing. casting a boros signet off of two forests allows you access to all 3 colors. casting farseek off of 2 forests gives you access to 2 colors. the land you get with farseek comes into play tapped as well, which is worse in the late game. once you have more lands you can drop a signet for 2 mana and then tap it for 2 mana, which means it only really costs 1 mana. farseek also requires green mana which means there is a chance you won't be able to play it when you want to.

>command sphere
3 mana rocks are a big step down from 2 mana rocks.

i didn't really comment much on the lands in the rith deck, they could use a lot of work, but i also understand that ancient tombs and various duals are expensive.

one guy at my table gets mad at others for winning games for other people

I can see where he comes from but if I ever stop someone from winning its usually going to be because im going to win or if theyre winning with an infinite and so id rather let the other person win if I cant

If I have a creature that has Persist down with Marchesa and attack to give it a +1/+1 and it dies would it come back normally because of Marchesa's effect or comeback to the battlefield due to persist and have a -1/-1?

I'm guessing come back with a -1/-1 right

You choose.

Fuck, not thinking at all. Marchesa is delayed, persist is instantaneous. Persist trigger goes off, it comes back with a -1/-1 counter.

The lands were all the ones I had on hand, I'm working on making it better now. There's next to no fetches, shocks, or fancy duals in my playgroup, so I don't think it's necessary that I have a perfect mana base.
On the topic of cheap duals, how are canopy vista and cinder glade?

macars too slow and not even very useful

say you get him and a bunch of tap artys out, what happens if your opponent is winning with a combo that doesnt rely on creatures? or is running all planeswalkers?

dont get me wrong I love the flavor of the guy but hes just not very good, if he could exile walkers and artifacts (which would keep the flavor while also powering up the card) then he would actually be usable but with just the creatures its pretty shit

Why do the people in this format get so mad when you try to win the game? Its like they expect me not to punish them when they play poorly.

Thanks for the quick answer user, so I guess the same is true for Undying. That would explain why all of those cards are strong with her.

Turn 1 lotus petal into crack the earth followed by ancient tomb, sol ring, mana vault, paradox engine, mana crypt, cast Daretti.
Turn 2 I drew wheel of fortune and continued to shit my deck onto the board without any regret

Undying is much stronger with her. It dies, it comes back with a +1/+1, it dies, Marchesa brings it back, go to step 1. Persist works because you'll be using cards to get rid of the -1/-1 counter.

Undying works better because it'll come back either way and can pretty much never be killed as long as she's in play.

it depends on how you win, if by "playing poorly" you mean not playing blue while you tutor kiki combo for the turn 4 win then yeah ill be salty and not want to play with you anymore

BfZ duals are great. Cinder Glade is the only one above $3 due to play in TitanShift.

If someone has the mana to combo off with Kiki-Jiki and your ass doesn't have a kill spell it's your own fault at that point.

Farseek gives you 3 colours if you have shocks or duals. I agree Farseek is weak because of the etb tapped factor, but other 2 man's land ramp spells like Nature's Lore and Three Visits are awesome.

don't sweat the lands. you'll get em eventually. you can get by pretty well with basics and some fixing/ramp spells.

Okay, I usually don't spend too much time on the mana base since the aforementioned group power level
how are the pain lands? Karplusan Forest and Battlefield Forge are pretty cheap

and yet you ask why people dont like playing with you

Battle lands, painlands and scrylands are all excellent options for lower-power/straight casual and budget decks. I'm a /bit/ precarious about pains since I don't think life is as abundant of a resource in Commander than most people, but they are unquestionably playable in the majority of decks. I play $400 decks, and I wouldn't give a condescending look to anyone who played any of those lands.

And your manabase is far more deserving of attention than most other parts of your deck. Even just counting up available sources for each color and doing some opening hand probabilities during goldfishing can help your games so much. Good deckbuilding is important at all powerlevels.

If you play with people you know run Kiki combos or other things that they can get off early then you need to optimize your deck to be better suited to deal with those things. run 1 and 2 mana interaction for those combos and you won't get hosed when you opponents go for an early win

I wasn't that guy autist. My LGS is filled with combo players. Not everyone is an Autimmy

Okay, final cut. Should I drop Mayael's Aria? It's such a fun card, but it'll probably never win me a game unless I've got Eidolon of Countless Battles on Rith

Meant for

No but it tutors for Gaea's Cradle, Nykthos, Cabal Coffers, Urborg, Maze of Ith, Glacial Chasm, Kessig and a whole bunch of other goodies.

Gishath IS cheap, but there's REALLY only one deck that can be built right now, dinosaur tribal. If you want to try something new and fun, deffo go Taigam.

I'm new to EDH and got the Edgar Markov precon and modified it a bit. Can anyone take a look at it and tell me if I'm overvaluing or undervaluing anything, or if I should cut things in general? I've only really played Modern at a semi-casual level, so I'm not sure how well certain cards translate over.

>build a deck without answers to common EDH stuff
>its someone someone elses fault

Fucking millennials man.

Fuck forgot link tappedout.net/mtg-decks/edgar-markov-edh-v2/#c3161810

So do you just not run cards with cmc 1-2? Being able to ramp on turns 1-2 means you're dropping impactful spells, often card draw spells, a turn or 2 before you would without those.

Is this guy essential in every green deck?

I wouldn't call him a bad inclusion in most cases, but not essential.

3+ colors start to blur the line between "I play a green-oriented deck" and "I'm just here for ramp and Naturalize", though.

Essential? Never
Every green deck? Not at all, some green decks don't care about land fetch ramp. Mono green decks care about him the least I'd say, though he's of course still fine there.

He's definitely one of the better ramp options though and worth a slot in most green decks, especially the kind with gy recursion like meren

Actually, I'd say he is essential in meren, other than that, never essential, just solid

I'd always put him in Sidisi over most mana rocks. He'll be more useful if he gets milled.

i generally run very few 1drops. the main goal for me is to have every card in my decks be impactful at most stages in most games. deathrite shaman is a really high value 1drop. viscera seer is a free sac outlet with an utility which is almost never irrelevant. skull clamp is a colorless sac outlet/card draw engine that survives sweeps and boosts damage output.

birds of paradise could be worthwhile in a 5color deck with a green base. if the deck runs powerful equipment it's evasion is even useful.

imo turn1 is often best spent playing a tapped land that fixes.

you were saying you don't like efficient 2 drops either, do you just play another tapland and then get going with cultivate on 3? Meanwhile I'm playing harmonize turn 3 after I ramped turn 2

I just don't see how waiting until turns 3-4 to ramp every game could be viable

I am a Timmy player.

If I so much as see an infinite combo I flip the table and have the perpetrator banned from the store. The color blue is banned in my meta and you are not allowed to use kill spells on my big creatures. If you dare play with anything besides a Tier 3 commander I will personally rip your commander in half.

Scathing satire, user. Truly you are the Jane Austen of our generation.

>you were saying you don't like efficient 2 drops either
i like 2 mana rocks. the 2drop slot has a lot of great utility cards too. my favorite ramp spells are all at the 3cmc and 4cmc spot though, yes.

remove licia, unless you're running hard lifegain strats she isn't worth it.

Not even joking I've smeared a 5 layer cheesy beef burrito with diablo sauce onto someones playmat and their cards because they Dissipated my Vampric Tutor

I wouldve ripped your tutor in half

>wasting taco bell for spite

why tho

also I would have punched you in the mouth

Why do you prefer a 2 cmc rock to a 2cmc land fetch, I'm curious. They seem pretty equal to me, land fetch is better against opposing green removal, mana rocks are better with and against MLD

Mana rocks can be tapped when you play then sure but do you not play 2cmc rocks on turn 2 when you have them?

Try me faglord, my LCS has at least two fights every EDH night because of salt. The shop owner is thinking about canceling it because the last one someone threw the table and broke the glass on a display shelf

>broke the glass on a display shelf
That's a life ban for anyone involved.

Is your sideboard cards you plan on adding once you get them? Since several of those are nice additions.

I'd also recommending adding some better boardwipes, preferably some with a lower mana cost. Blasphemous Act is one of the best boardwipes in EDH and is cheap. There's also the usual stuff like Wrath of God, Toxic Deluge, Damnation etc, and of course cards like Austere Command for more artifact/enchantment wipes.

Some of your spells are lacking in multiplayer value, like Consuming Vapors, Black Market (Always gets removed once it gets a relevant amount of counters, way too slow to work). Licia is pretty bad without a dedicated deck to support her, Fell the Mighty, Disrupt Decorum are lackluster.

One of my favorite cards in a beats deck with white is pic related.

When I'm not in ramp colors I also like cards like Sword of the Animist, Land Tax, Burnished Hart etc, and when not in blue/green for draw, cards like Phyrexian Arena, Mind's Eye, and Memory Jar.

Also, you're in black. Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, if you don't mind betraying your vampire theme there's cards like Sidisi and Rune-Scarred Demon.

Wide tribal decks also usually suffer a lot from boardwipes, mass reanimate spells like Living Death and Patriarchs Bidding are a godsend in those situations. Even a Faith's Reward can work as a shittier Teferi's Protection. Other good stuff is Eldrazi Monument, Akroma's Memorial, Mirror Entity.

I have the exact same philosophy, except it pushes me to play more 1-2 drops. I like being very proactive during early turns (although my meta has a decent bit of infect so your mileage may vary) like DRS, but also scaling ones like Scute Mob, Amulet of Vigor and Enclave Cryptologist.

Well, one of them is good regardless of what color mana you have available, and has a vast amount of potential synergy with other artifact cards.

>I have a friend who will turn into a fucking salty faggot if i play so much as a single land from his hand with sen triplets.
>Will literally ruin the whole night as he brings it up in response to anything.
>Goes as far as targeting other people at the table in a new game for letting sen triplets resolve/live in a previous game.

Dont even bother playing the deck if hes there anymore.

Up the ante and make a land destruction deck.

Not MLD, single target land destruction, so that he won't scoop up and leave in rage, but sit there in the hopes that he will eventually get enough mana to do anything.

No wonder the rest of the Magic community sees us as a bunch of immature autists, holy fuck my dude.

Land fetch cards have synergies too, landfall, cards that count land total or land types, cards that benefit from shuffling your deck, etc

hes a combo player what do you expect?