MTG LEGACY GENERAL

Bouncy pirates edition

Are there Eternal Weekend events near you?
Are you going?
What are you brewing?

RESOURCES
>Active Legacy Forums
mtgthesource.com/forums/forum.php
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/legacy-type-1-5

>Current Legacy Metagame
mtgtop8.com/format?f=LE
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy

>Find/Browse basic lands by their art, by sets, by artists, and more
basiclandart.tumblr.com

READINGS
>Top 5 Breakdown (May 26, 2016)
channelfireball.com/articles/the-top-5-legacy-decks/

>Utilizing Cabal Therapy (Old but still good)
channelfireball.com/home/legacy-weapon-therapy-session/

Deck Database
pastebin.com/44w1kkRZ

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/uw-parfait-4/
youtu.be/16VOnsqq1Qk
twitter.com/itsJulian23/status/913835736423649280
imgur.com/Iz8VVJf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Has the Pirates list been revealed yet?

I've been messing around with a couple of brews recently, mainly Standstill stuff and WB Parfait; I've not had much success with either honestly. WB Parfait just seems like a worse, substantially more expensive version of UW/WR Parfait. Don't get me wrong, Chains and the Abyss are fantastic cards, and having out 3ball+Nether Void is hilarious, but is doesn't make up for losing RIP+Field+JTMS or Belcher+Blood Moon+SB Red Blasts. Standstill lists seem to be outclassed by BUGr/UBR control lists, they don't have to jump through hoops and play weird/fragile manabases to generate card advantage. It might finally be time to admit that Czech Pile is better than any control list I can seem to brew.

yea, WB seems like it just adds win more enchantments and removal to a deck that already has plenty of those

I like WR but feel like WUr is feasible depending on how you structure the sideboard.

The only thing I dislike about WR parfait is getting stuck with one half of tax/rax in hand and then playing it safe because you don't want to go over land count. Is that something that WU fixes with the fetches and cantrips?

>The only thing I dislike about WR parfait is getting stuck with one half of tax/rax in hand and then playing it safe because you don't want to go over land count. Is that something that WU fixes with the fetches and cantrips?
You can run fetches in Wr if you want, and Wu doesn't play cantrips anyway. The only thing you lose is Belcher, but you can replace it with Assemble the Legion or Elspeth, which take longer to win but also help to protect you a bit better.

>I like WR but feel like WUr is feasible depending on how you structure the sideboard.
I've been thinking something similar. With UW you have access to 4x fetches and 4x Diamonds to get access to your splash color. Cutting a basic for a Plateau or Volcanic and some red cards in the SB seems reasonably feasible.

>Is that something that WU fixes with the fetches and cantrips?
I'm on 4x Fetches and 3x CoT with no cantrips. I've been running this list: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/uw-parfait-4/

The Fetches/CoT's make running 18 land feel pretty good and allow you to set your colors, accelerate out the higher CMC spells, and provide some incidental filtering. I don't think that plan works very well for WR Parfait if your running Belcher as a wincon because you can't pull out the 7 non basics with Land Tax. I've considered trying Ponder in the past, but the more that I've playing UW, the less I've felt it's needed; UW is set up to pillow fort hard and filter/tutor up tons of cards as is.

what can I build in legacy with a playset of Dark Confidants/Lilis without spending over $2k?

> I don't think that plan works very well for WR Parfait if your running Belcher as a wincon because you can't pull out the 7 non basics with Land Tax.

I've got a Jace and I feel like I'd be happier to slam him for the free brainstorms most of the time, though I do enjoy flipping cards until my opponent concedes...

I'm thinking about sliding in crystal veins and fetches, and i like the idea of volcanic island in the board for fixing jace + pyroblasts

Pox (or 8 racks)
Monoblack stompy decks

I've been pretty happy with Jace in Parfait, free brainstorms + fetches is gas. I'm thinking about trying out 1x Volcanic, 1x Blood Moon, and some number of Pyroblasts in the SB, surprise G2 Blood Moon and Blasts seems good.

Pikula/Deadguy Ale comes to mind, it's usually WBg and usually comes in around ~$1500.

>Are there Eternal Weekend events near you?

This saturday there is a legacy trial at bc comix in fenton, which is ~45 min away from me. I would love to go, to both that and EW, but unfortunately I don't have my car with me. There's always next year I guess

Since /leg/ is prettt much /eternal/

Any spicy vintage memes?
Any new pauper brews? (>tfw no engines)
Is dredge still crap in legacy?

youtu.be/16VOnsqq1Qk
>play a shit list badly
>complain
>scream in excitement with a nasal, autistic voice when you win
How does this retard remember to breathe and why does anyone follow him on Twitch?

What are some ways to keep Contamination on forever other than Nether Spirit? Preferably something playable in a LoamPox shell, but I'll take anything you've got.

Also are there any cool ways to win the game with a Gamekeeper activation? I figure turning your library upside down is a good start, but it seems harder to win from that point without any creatures than without any basic lands.

Some budget BUG build?

>ways to keep Contamination on forever
Bitterblossom comes to mind as the lowest CMC option to pair with Contamination.

>cool ways to win the game with a Gamekeeper activation?
Seems like a non-standard way to cheat some giant creature like Emrakul or Progenitus into play. You could probably build in interesting Chalice deck around it with City of Traitors, Ancient Tomb, 3ball, and Green Sun's Zenith (or Living Wish for extra spice).

That's pretty close to what I had planned, Living Wish and all, but I was wondering if there's some combo I could go for rather than just getting a big guy.

The pirate list isn't real.

I've pulled off Sun Titan+Gift of Imortality+Alter of Dementia in EDH. It's a little slow, but you could try using Game keeper to set it up.

I'm pretty far into the wild on this in the first place, can't hurt to wander out a little further.

What about running an Auriok Salvagers combo? Something like Auriok Salvagers+LED+Pyrite Spellbomb for infinite damage.

The decklist I've seen for "Pirates, PIIIIRATES!" looks pretty bad.

As a Storm player, I can confirm that I will probably lose to it, but it still looks pretty bad.

If it's got chalice, we'll lose to it somehow, sometime.

Dredge isn't crap per se, but all the dredge players who post here are unfunny memesters so fuck 'em.

Here's something I'd like to address, actually: Why is there such a fucking gulf in quality of content between Magic Youtubers and Yugioh Youtubers? Like it seems every other day I stumble across a new Yugioh youtuber who is pretty damn entertaining or informative, while Magic Youtubers I've found are all just... whiny or really bad. Yugioh's replays often have pumping video game soundtracks attached and go at a blistering pace with good sound effects, Magic replays are slow, slogging events with folks like Saffron Olive or Hoogie narrating over them. The closest we get to a Yugioh youtuber I think is Pleasant Kenobi who at least knows how to punch up a video with some energy.

yeah agree 100%,

>open gabriel nassif stream
>he spends 2 minutes deciding whether or no to push a death's shadow representing lethal
>constantly sniffling and clearing his throat and going *auuuhhhhhhh*
>decide to watch something else
>open against the odds with SpbkaSO
>"whelllll"
>makes a misplay
>draws too many lands
>screams "DACK COME OONNNNN"
>gets to play his 7th seige rhino of the game
>his laughter deafens me

Geoff Hoagie is a shit.
Gabriel Nassif is a has been.

Is mtgo still gonna have full support after the magic arena comes? Is it safe to invest in vintage/legacy cards or are they going completely on the new game?

I knew local peoples vintage lists very well and beat 2 shops guys with Island Sanctuary because they had only 1 enchantment removal in sideboard and i got rid of it. Playing blue white goodstuff with tinker/vault/key/blightseel.

Hey Bob. How's testing for Eternal Weekend?

What's this about a Pirates list? Did somebody win some tournament with Pirates? Somebody catch me up.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK! :D

Yeah, pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Their having Force doesn't help matters, either. Force ain't too bad on its own, but the two of them together spell bad times friend ahead.

There are some good ones; a few Storm players play pretty well and stay on point. You're right that the energy level is generally low, though. And the more energetic MtG streamers are often the ones who don't play as well because they're distracted.

According to the Arena FAQ, MTGO is going to stick around. If they killed MTGO, there'd be rioting in the streets unless they guaranteed ports of people's digital collections, or something. Of course, I don't trust them to make the smart play, but they're known for keeping their fucking promises.

There's also the fact that they're not going to allow trading in Arena, so there's no shot in hell it's going to replace MTGO. It's literally just the next iteration of their casual digital offering.

>that reanimator list
What sort of abomination is this?

Comments deleted.

This fucking guy is so bad player and entertainer and is so insecure that can't handle the backlash of trash content.

Bob Huang and friends have brewed a stompy list that abuses Mercadian Masques' pirates (like the one in OP's pic) and Siren's Ruse. It's been tearing through leagues in MODO but they always concede the last game, preventing them from going 5-0 and having the list revealed.

Ohh, I see, that's interesting! I was curious because I had an old Flicker (from Urza's Destiny) deck that used the Mercadian Masques pirates alongside Ankh of Mishras and Parallax Cards.

The pirate stompy list is a hoax and a troll. You heard it here first. Screencap this.

Ohh, apparently the "Popeye" list is coming to Channel Fireball:

twitter.com/itsJulian23/status/913835736423649280

I wonder if there's anything I should pick up from TCG before it's spoiled. The Hoodwink/Parallax Tide combo is pretty spicy.

t. Pirates player

>basic mountain

>ssg

>2 Sires
>13 lands
>11 Reanimation spells
>collective/unmask split
>2 Thoughtseize
Anybody else get triggered at obviously non optimal versions of the deck you play?

I think the most tilted I've ever been in mtg was losing to Scepter+Lightning Helix in some poor man's burn with Affinity, WHEN I had resolved an Etched Champion but couldn't draw any non-creature artifact in time, and with a Plating in play. I also got pretty tilted at any Dredge player running Thoughtseize out of the board instead of a) actual answers to resolved hate like Nature's Claim or Decay b) cards that can be cast from the yard so you don't need to mulligan for them, Memory's Journey, Grudge, Driven//Despair etc.

I strongly suspect it's a psyop intended to misinform.
>x pro played x card so it must be good

Hoogland likes bitching about SSG in Modern, maybe he figures: "It's overpowered in Modern, so it must be good in any fast combo deck XDDDD!". I Honestly can't stand the guy, he constantly complains about decks being bad when he couldn't play/build his way out of a wet paper sack in this format. He represents literally everything wrong with pro magic players, his play level is mediocre at best and its topped off with a mix of condescension, ego, and salt.

> Hoodwink/Parallax Tide

how does it work? stack abuse to bounce parallax tide to your hand before it fades?

So here's my issue with the idea of this pirate stompy list: Sirens ruse is the only new card. We've had flicker effects forever. Is the cantrip on it so strong that it makes this deck that otherwise could have existed for a decade or more into a viable deck? It can't be all it's cracked up to be.

Maybe other strategies have always been viable, but nobody cared enough to test them?

BR Reanimator has been legal for years and it only became a thing recently.

Here's how it goes according to a ruling thread:

"If you remove a counter, and in response, kill/bounce your own Tide, the land is gone forever. The stack will consist of

Tide's leave-the-battlefield trigger
Tide's activated ability
BOTTOM

First, the LTB trigger resolves, bringing back anything it's exiled [nothing, at this point]. Then, the activation [or activations, if you did it more than once] exile the land. The trigger that would bring them back has already passed, so they stay gone."

what does it do that's better than UB though?

nothing, it's just cheaper

It's much faster and a little bit more disruptive. It's not just because it's cheaper man.

Speed. Gets under dsham ezpz. Wins harder when it combos.

If I was more confidant and had a better voice I'd stream, but I'm not all that great and I mostly play bad decks.
I can't imagine the deck is anything more than another flavor of stompy with some new tricks, but a lot of decks have come and gone in legacy since Masques, the deck doesn't need tons of new tools, just a metagame where it has favorable matches. I feel like I'm not wording this as well as I could but I'm sure you guys get what I'm trying to say.

Maybe some variant of Turbodepths

imgur.com/Iz8VVJf

RB is GOTTA GO FAST. You combo or you brick. Black and Red give you no outs to Rest in Peace or other enchantment prisons or spell-based combos.

UB is slower but considerably more consistent. It's got bounce and counterspells to deal with problematic cards, but it also can't straight-up lock a person out of a game with a turn one Iona, either.

>Black and Red give you no outs to Rest in Peace or other enchantment prisons or spell-based combos.
Can always discard them or Wear//tear them post board.

The printing of collective brutality was what led to the decks development, since the increasing amount of deathrite shamans and the sudden rise of eldrazi decks really hurt the UB version. RB had always been a thing, but was just regarded as a less consistent, but sometimes faster, reanimator variant (which it is, plus its way cheaper because you don't need useas or forces). Of course, thats exactly the type of deck you need to combat deathrites and chalices.

RB splashes white or green for outs and rip is glacial. Spell based combos that can't match it in speed die to said speed or get molested. Also UB absolutely can lock out with Iona turn one, albeit once in a bloodmoon. What it can't do is stack chancelors.

I don't think its more disruptive at all, countermagic is way more effective than discard. Plus UB ran forces, dazes, and discard with cantrips to find the pieces, while RB runs discard and chancellor, which must be in your opener. RB being faster is by far its primary advantage, which matters a ton when every deck has 4 drs. Plus it being cheaper was actually a huge reason it became fotm, it was

>The printing of collective brutality was what led to the decks development
I'm pretty sure it wasn't. The deck became popular before collective brutality was printed.

What does it have that makes it faster? The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that could be better is that you can flashback Faithless Looting whereas you can't with Careful Study.

Everything else could be done in a UB list if you wanted to make it faster, Dark Rituals or whatever.

Maybe it was gaining in popularity, but I think collective brutality was the final card that made RB into the definitive "better" reanimator deck. I don't know, brutality is the only new card that is played in reanimator decks, so that just seemed to be one of the main factors for the change.

I think it's more that people don't want to buy Underground Seas, and RB animator is good enough that it works, not that it's better.

The main issue with dark rituals in UB is that it really doesn't work well with cantrips and countermagic. You want a large density of entomb/discard/reanimate spells to make the most out of your dark rituals, which contradicts the UB gameplan of cantrip to sculpt your hand then go off with your specific, efficient pieces.

>Plus UB ran forces, dazes, and discard
UB doesn't run as much discard as RB so it's not as if they pack all that countermagic AND the discard.

>countermagic is way more effective than discard.
For disrupting the opponent and protecting a threat, but you forget that all that discard can serve the purpose of binning a fatty as well as being proactive disruption vs. the opponent.

You have more fast mana with petals, rituals and mox and more ways to bin fatties from your opener with seizes and unmask. Put Chancellor disruption in for clear coast t1 combo and your clock increases significantly with the 12 reanimation spells we run. granted you could do this with UB theoretically but you'd end up lowering the blue count for force quite a bit and losing some of the consistency you gain from playing the cantrips.

RB dispenses with the cantrips in favor of more redundancy. Hands generally consist of mana, some way to bin a fatty, and some way to get it back without any ponders in between. Additionally, discard is really good disruption, specifically in fast decks where it best serves as a way to render your opponent inoperable just long enough to drive your spear through their flank. More importantly, it serves a dual roll as a discard outlet. One thing counter magic cannot do. A typical list has 12 reanimation spells, 12 discard outlets, and 10 targets compaired to UBs 4-6 discard outlets, 7-8 fatties, and 8-9 reanimation spells.

Rit doesn't pitch to fow, bruh. A bigger issue than you might think.

TEH STAMPIIS have always been good against Storm, Elves, and (sometimes) Delver. They're terrible against fringe decks (like Poops, Manaless, Painter [RIP], and Charbelcher), which is why Eldrazi unceremoniously bowed out of the format as quickly as it dicked up everything.

I would be just as surprised to learn that the alleged 4–0–DROP bullshit these cocks are (allegedly) pulling were actually happening as I would be if it weren't. But assuming for a moment that they are doing this, I think it's worth mentioning that good players often play well with mediocre decks against mediocre players playing anything. It'll be funny when they face the Stax guy who hasn't altered his build since 2004.

I seriously doubt a new pirate build will perform appreciably better than Sea Stompy. But if I need to switch back to Poops for a while, I won't feel too bothered; four Chancellors and four Pacts are unequivocally better than four Forces and four Pirate Tribal Counter-Mayjickal Chicanereys [sic].

For the inevitable BReanimator response, there's the obvious riposte that the deck isn't actually that good. (Nor was U/B Reanimator. I've played with both. Just saying. And regardless, obviously Hogland didn't know what he was doing.)

Also, for all the people speculating about the list, why hasn't anyone mentioned Aluren?

You could do the same in UB, but why play U at that point at all. Biggest strength that UB has over RB is having SnT, which helps going over gy hate in game 2 and 3.

This was so fucking bad post that I have to elaborate myself.

SnT is precisely the reason to splash blue. You could play FoW and daze as well, but FoW needs other blue cards, which would dilute the main plan and daze needs a land, while chancellor doesn't. Hence playing blue cards weakens the linear plan the deck has.

Reanimator is practically black deck anyway, so R/B is just splashing in faithless looting to have the careful study effect twice, if the situation is desperate enough to come to that.

I don't think UB is any more consistent than R/B, because you are actually making the main plan weaker.

>reading about pirate stompy
god bless legacy
this is the greatest thing i've ever read. I really hope it sorta takes off, the idea is so novel and amazing

I hope someday, Richard Garfield willing, I can meme my Mogg Maniac/Volcano Hellion deck into existence.

I tried out 3 island 8 plains 3 crystal vein
It's honestly pretty nice.

Also jammed an as foretold which is a great turn 1 using the crystal veins and a mox diamond or the odd hand that opens with an island

You can stop being wrong at any time.

Countermagic is way more effective than disruption because your opponent is spending their mana doing it. Thoughtseize doesn't do that.

Countermagic is not inherently better than discard. While similar on the surface, they serve different rolls.

YoU cAn StOp BeInG WrOnG aT aNy TiMe

They play completely different roles and one is not inherently better than the other like said. Discard is proactive, which for a deck like RB reanimator is a pretty huge plus since you're not looking to be reactive and the perfect information is actually kind of a big deal in a lot of spots since sequencing is important. Discard also has the plus of running double duty in RB whereas countermagic serves one role in UB.

Nah, the biggest strength UB has is getting to play this card called brainstorm. I hear it's pretty powerful

For me, a lot of people run Leyline of the Void in the SB to fight the dude who brings Lands every week, so I prefer UB Reanimator because I can run four Force of Wills and sideboard in four Echoing Truths/Show and Tell to fight it. Admittedly I haven't ever run RB Reanimator, I know it runs Wear//Tear, Sneak Attack, and Stronghold Gambit (which is SUPER spicy and actually intrigues me quite a bit), but I worry that I'd just die to Leyline.

I don't have Underground Seas though, so I keep wondering if I should spring for the less expensive Badlands with my store credit.

>imgur.com/Iz8VVJf
This list is just speculation. And this list itself seems like a joke.

It's like some mono-blue Show and Tell except instead of dropping a huge creature you're playing some wimpy Stone Rain. No filtering, no card advantage - the only thing going for it is solid redundancy.

I do like the concept of non-stop permanent attrition. I just don't see this thing being consistent. It's like the Ninja/Martyr mono blue list.

Goddamn Hoogland is such a whiney bitch and plays everything so bad. The only deck he ever "performs" on is mono-red sneak attack.
Too true. Only pros I can stand to listen to and watch play are Reid and LSV anymore.

Looking for feedback on the Naya list. I'm not so sure on the mana base if I'm running Magus and I'm not so confident on my combo game plan of either jamming Thalia's or main Spirit of the Labyrinth/Teeg. Maybe adding some Eidolons? Not sure about the GY hate either. I like the exalted triggers from Hierarchs, but I realize DRS is one of the best one drop creatures ever printed, worth it to jam him in and a fetchable black source for reach? Anything else you guys think is welcome, except for saying Naya sucks. I know it in my heart but I don't want it to be true ;_;

I'm not sure how I feel about BBE and GSZ together in the same deck and I feel like you should be running some amount of KotR with a couple of utility lands desu. I also like running some amount of swords in the main too.

I don't like KotR, doesn't affect the game state or bring value the turn it comes down. I always felt the card was too slow playing against it, and with all the DRS around its not like its gonna get big often. Would rather run Tracker that KotR.
I get that feeling with BBE but I don't think it will be too big a problem, I can test it out shes pretty cheap. Ill try running swords and stuff main. I'm not sure I actually like magus in the main, shuts off punishing fire and wastelands.

Countermagic is also not as strong against a number of combo strategies, especially Storm variants and graveyard decks (this might seem counterintuitive, but Thoughtseize is often a Time Walk against decks like Dredge).

Why one would play Chalice of the Void in a monoblue list, I don't really understand. Undercuts the principal strengths of running the color without providing any appreciable benefit. Sea Stompy never really got off the ground for that reason, I expect.

Reid's pretty great. Does excellent work with Storm variants in Legacy and Vintage. Rodrigo Togores and Martin Nielsen also do great stuff.

What would this list do better than a regular Maverick list? I don't mean to dump on you (though I think it needs a lot of work); I just don't see what it's doing better than established decks like Mav or D&T.

A few things to keep in mind: Green Sun's Zenith is extremely powerful, but it doesn't find anything in your maindeck except Arbor, Ooze, Pridemage, and Gaddock (you don't want to pay two mana for Mana Birds or five for a BBElf or a Huntmaster). Noble Hierarch is only good in Berserk Poison. Stoneforge is terrible without Batterskull. Punishing Fire and the Gruul 4-drops might be better as Burning-Tree Emissaries and Bolts, and I think you're running a big risk with Magus of the Moon. I also don't think you want so many doubles; it may give you more maindeck answers for random stuff, but it increases variance quite a bit. is right about Knight; gives you access to all kinds of tricks like Maze of Ith and Bojuka Bog.

I guess my advice is to pick a plan and throttle it forward rather than kitchen-sinking it. Assuming budget is not a concern, I would consider going more in the direction of Loam-type decks with Mox Diamond, Chalice, and Tarmogoyf and cutting back the 1-drops.

Reid is really great to watch too because he is real concise with his explanations and doesn't leave his microphone open to moan into.
Same with LSV, they don't fill the airspace with useless noise.

What's the cheapest competitive deck to start playing Legacy? Burn? I already have Eidolons and some fetches

That of maybe bg depths

popeye stompy

Me and my friends are editing banlists a bit and i was looking into building a deck with balance or tinker. Can someone post some example lists that i could take and improve?

Both look like trash
Burn it is

BG depths is probably better than burn.

>popeye stompy

Why are people meme'ing this up?
It's pure garbage!

lol no