Have you ever blatantly stolen a character?

Whether because you were phoning it in, or just really liked something, whether you stole only the design/concept, or the personality, or the whole thing.

How'd it go?

Pretty well, but just make sure they don't know what you're ripping off.

Everything but the name

>tfw you want to make references and do in-character stuff, but you are worried that might be enough to make someone realize what you are

Yeah, I played literally Pollyanna, and I would have named her Anna if we didn't already have one in the party, so I was Paula.

It went well for a bit, but despite being the most glad anyone ever was, she ended up getting diced into chunks. One might presume she was glad she was dead, except she came back as a ghost for a bit.

Addendum: she was glad she came back as a ghost because she could still kind of help her friends.

Does it count if I copied a character I played in another campaign? Because I made a magical girl expy of them for another separate campaign because space bending is cool shit.

Flatty go home

Nobody suspected a thing.

Nah, man, you had to be there.

I liked her personality. Changed the name though, I don't want my players thinking even more obscene stuff about her when we're playing.

Looks and Shtick, and her personality was explosive

There's a dude I play with who always plays characters from greentexts on here.
Turns out it's anoying as shit irl

What fucking system were you playing that you could pull off her BS Gap Powers?!
With or without the batshit crazy?
No. Mostly because I'm ForeverGM

Usually I fall in love with some small part of a character, like in the case of Luna the entire riding a tiger and blasting moonbeams at things.

The personality, design and concept all live within the framework of the campaign and the system of course. And all of those things evolve, meaning in the end all the other players and the GM have equal say.

Stealing something whole-cloth, and making it stick, is hard.

Kubo
Nathan Rahl
Gannicus

All in 5e

It was a toreador turned into a baali, and he was literally hannibal lecter. It was so edgy it could be a japanese ceramic knife

Not BLATANTLY, but I did make a character heavily based on Vin from the Last Empire. No-one noticed, though, Mistborn just isn't that popular.

Was pretty fun.

I based a lot of my current campaign on the whole premise of that book and am getting away with I because of how under the radar those books are.

RIP fun Poppy, you were too good for this world

No. The fun police have my house bugged, they'd show up in minutes.

RPG wise I'm still a bit new so can come up with enough original characters.

Writing wise... all the time

Man I was Ernest Hemingway for 3 sessions and no one saw through it. Not even native english speakers saw anything fishy.

I'm the DM, she's an NPC that fucks with the players occasionally but is generally well intentioned.

It was a while ago.

My first idea for Road of Humanity Tzimisce got turned down.

Oh, okay.
Well if it's GM shenanigans, I've just straight dropped my players into Gensokyo twice now.
They're on surprisingly good terms with the members of the SDM, as well as the Lazy Miko and the Black-White Klepto.
One of them has even seen her cookies get swiped from her plate by a hand sticking out of a gap.

I've also thrown Couriers named Sextus and Ulysses their way, to deliver the odd parcel.

>Delicious Gavril

Absolutely stole a character because the new guy used the class I was going to be for a one shot, and I had no time for a fully original idea. It actually went pretty well, ended up playing against type and having a good time. Didn't really end up that similar to the original character in the end.

Inserted Franken Fran into a world of darkness campaign as an NPC the players came across in a war zone

One player had read the manga and immediately had his character NOPE out of the room

Other PCs were not so lucky

>Usually I fall in love with some small part of a character
This.
I'll lift something from a character and use that as my core concept, but then I run with it. I'll end up with something more-or-less organically grown from my stolen core.
Sometimes I include physical references, but I personally see these as homages and credits, rather than uncreativity. Not that it can't be uncreative, it's about being tastefully done.

I once fused Blade and Hellboy in one for a Troll monster hunting NPC in Shadowrun, so yes

?

Yes, literally all the time, but my references are obscure enough that nobody knows, probably. I had a npc wizard named borginine the stupendous who sent the party on quests to collect sentoul demons - basically just trinkets he was collecting.

in traveler I accidentally ended up rolling Forest Gump, but as a marine officer.

Huh. A Marine officer worth a damn.

Face in Shadowrun. Skillwires, high social skills, closet full of face disguise goop, 20 fake SINs, and an workshop to brew up explosives.

I stole the character of Los Tiburon from that one greentext and named him El Toro. He uppercut a motherfucker into another motherfucker and shat himself after almost getting eaten by a sphinx.

League of Legends is a shit game that breaks your heart.

It's an online game that updates and adds new things and characters all the time, but since it's a competitive game they have to be balanced. So sometimes they take an old character and completely change them gameplay and lore wise. Poppy went from "No nonsense my special power is that I can want somebody dead so bad that the rest of the world no longer affects me" to "I have a big hammer and am a self conscious dork".

Chinamen?

I don't understand what you're trying to say.

I've done it by accident on more than one occasion.
I never intend to do it, it just...happens.

I've once made a bard who was basically Renard from Jean de la Fontaine's poem "Le corbeau et le renard"
It was so fucking hilarious and coherent for a bard but the GM was a douche and killed me with a ballista because i tried to discuss with an ambassador at the gates of a city and... One of the merchant in our group stressed out. Obviously the guards aimed the most dangerous man of the group at first (the one with no more weapons than words)

Also, I was only playing one song... Cotton eye joe...

Does this count?

yes, shit was dumb