How do I roleplay a character with 4 int?

How do I roleplay a character with 4 int?
Feral? Barely sapient? Just full retard?

Just be yourself

Fucking destroyed

Fuck

One of the interpretations:
>Intelligence
>4-5 (–3): Often resorts to charades to express thoughts

>Feral? Barely sapient? Just full retard?
Yes.

Mental stats should not dictate to you how to play your character. They should only cover the things a player can't merely decide on. So maybe a character with a high Intelligence stat knows more languages and is better at deciphering some sort of code (because it's not like the GM is going to speak in a foreign language that you, the player, have to learn in order to understand him). Maybe a character is better at casting spells or performing first aid (as you, the player, aren't going to undertake a spell-casting challenge, and you're not going to actually perform first aid to see how well you do).

So the mental stats should only cover things outside the realm of player judgment and decision making. A character with a 4 Intelligence can still a pretty smart person; they're just really bad at some things. So maybe they have a learning disability. They can't pick up new languages, cast spells, or perform certain intelligence-related tasks worth a shit (the ones you have to roll for), but they can still be clever, and you don't have to play them an bumbling idiot.

Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma are all such vague stats that you could justify literally any sort of behaviour under any combination of them.

Personally I'd suggest just playing them as a really slow thinker. Nothing necessarily wrong with them, they just process at a glacial pace.

And what's the scale? You know, 4 Int in one game is near genius level and in another it might be not enough to be considered sapient

>And what's the scale?
Kids on Veeky Forums mostly know nothing better than D&D, so the scale will be from 1 to 20.

Go to worldstarhiphop and start observing

Or maybe if you want to play a "pretty smart person", don't fucking dump int, you god damn retard.

I swear, there is no lengths you assholes go to just to justify dumping stats.

/thread

I'd just RP it as a character with 6 int, but zero self-control.

Pure id, almost incapable of resisting immediate gratification without outside interference. Read Of Mice and Men for some inspiration.

Mental stats shouldn't exist

First post, best post. Thanks for the laugh user.

Beautiful

This.

I find it quite hilarious to see dimwitted people trying to play intelligent characters.

This is actually good advice.

This. The Int stat isn’t a catch-all for all forms and facets of intelligence, it is only meant to represent academic proficiency; the capacity to learn new information and retain it while applying it to different scenarios.
It’s a mishandled label of WotC’s part, but it should be apparent once you see the Int and Wis stat side-by-side and know that they do different things.

You will need to go deeper, mental retardation begins at INT 8.

If it's DnD... ask someone else.
If it's Warhammer...
Can you shoot a gun? You'll be fine the emperor can think for you civilian!

watch idiocracy and look at president camacho for inspiration, he probably would have low int but average wis

Roll a new character, 4 int is literally toddler levels of functionality. You would be unable to articulate anything, follow plans, or understand the consequences of your actions. A 4 int character wouldn't be able to function as an adventurer just like they wouldn't be able to function as a factory worker.

>actually made me laugh out loud.
>happen to be sitting in my room with family
>all wondering whats up
>explain what I just read
>mfw when Veeky Forums litteraly has my family laughing their heads off

I'll accept the idea that you should play below your ability for a low Int character just as soon as you explain to me how you're going to play above your ability for a high Int character.

>my character's shitty stats don't matter because an invisible voice in their head understands calculus

use fancy words like 'samoflange'

Yes but that's meta

You have to be able to realize what your character may or may not know.

Play as someone insane, when you manage to succesfully roll an int check you have one of those temporal states of sanity

If we corellate int score with IQ, then 100 IQ would be 10,5 Int. 10 in is ~97,5 IQ, and every point you go down bring it down 5 point for IQ. by that metric, 4 Int would be equal to someone with an IQ score roughly 67,5.

played a gnoll named Donk like that a couple times. he was painfully dull, getting confused by big words, mispronouncing words all the time, incredibly simplistic sentence structure when speaking, not quite caveman steriotype bad but you get the idea. anything that wasn't directly related to getting food, gold or avoiding pain got forgotten by the time he slept. anytime there was a plan more complex than "kick in the door and kill everything" he'd tend to screw up his end due to details slipping his mind. he had a decent wis so he wasn't a total trainwreck and was quite capable of making decisions that turned out pretty well, he just had less information to go on than everyone else. when in doubt he followed others instructions, so long as it wasn't something he didn't want to do. he had almost childish moments now and again when he figured out something that had eluded his pitiful intellect before. the way i role played him was basically "worlds smartest dog" rather than "unattended special needs child". he could learn "go kill that asshole" but "wait 30 minuts then come in after us, kill anything that gets in the way." lead to him either, getting detracted and coming in early/late or just wandering off after something else that his simple mind felt was more important at the moment, mostly food. he'd usually meander back after chasing down and eating some poor fuck, see the building and go "oh shit, dat right. kill everything inside." then set off to do just that.

That might seem out of place in D&D, but for GURPS it's pretty much a must.

put me in the screencap

Oh me oh my

>the example for world-famous genius level intelligence is Kostchtchie, an angry manchild with retard strength who only has a high INT score because he has to have one as an epic spellcaster

So in other words OP, just play a nigger.

I gotchu family.

My issue is that the stats, themselves, are shitty if they get in the player's way. And since you can't play above your intelligence level (not being smart enough to do it) when your character's Int is higher than yours, why should you have to play below your intelligence level when your character's Int is lower than yours? Again, attributes should only apply to in-game shit that a player doesn't directly interface with. It's shitty design otherwise.

It depends on what your wisdom score is.

This is more difficult than you might think because if OP has 4 int he's dumber than Gorilla- basically, the hominid-animal-intelligence-proxy I'd use as the best example of role playing an unintelligent creature.

To put this into context: Gorillas have an int score of about 6 int and an IRL average IQ of 70 with some "genius" Apes even possessing IQ's as high as 80 (Orangutan's being higher end of the spectrum for example).
There's also the issue that while a Gorilla may not be "intelligent" as a Human, that doesn't make them necessarily mentally retarded: they're still observant, capable of cooperate effort, tool-building, assisting others, recognizing complex social cues, relationships, etc..

What I'm trying to get at here is that RP such a character would actually be a little more difficult in subtly and frustrating ways as a creature that naturally possessed 4 or 6 INT would still be more mentally-healthy, intelligent, and capable than a Human with mental-retardation handicapping them to 4 or 6 int.
I don't say this to disparage the mentally handicapped or to put Apes on a pedestal or anything, it's just that's the kind of difference having a deficiency makes vs that's just how your brain works, sort to speak.

Assuming D&D.
By definition, the standard deviation of 3d6 is 3.
By definition, the standard deviation of IQ is 15. (More precisely, the subject's percentile position is calculated, and from there Stdevs, and from there the IQ number.)

An IQ of 4 is 6.5 below the 3d6 average of 10.5 (remember, even if ~adventurers~ roll 4d6, that's because they're supposed to be special, and average people are 3d6 RAW.
That's 2 and 1/6 standard deviations below average, and directly maps to an IQ of 67-68. Now, legally, this is just barely below the line where lack of intellectual capacity is considered a disability. It's well above the bar for craft-work and farming (60) or janitorial labor (50); your INT 4 is essentially the smartest and highest-functioning retard possible, fully capable of self-care, functional but not really theoretical reading, household math, etc - essentially educatable to the level of a modern teenager, which of course in a fantasy setting means capable of all the things the general populace can do, but just rather slow at them.

Because of this, because they're running at peak mental effort just to fit the normal requirements of their society, I'd play them as slow and cautious where possible, the way someone would be their first week at a new job, and likely to completely spill their spaghetti when overwhelmed.

Ignore , their house rules are written by people ironically too dumb to do basic math. Especially , 8 INT maps fairly neatly to 90 IQ which is approximately the line at which it's unsurprising for someone to have a four-year college degree.

They're handy for when you need to shortcut stuff. It's not any different than having someone who sucks at tactical thinking play a combat character,

Lulz

Or, put more succinctly, in your high school the INT 4 guys were in the diversion program. The helmet brigade is INT 2 or below.

D&D stats with real-world measures whether explicit (STR deadlift) or implicit (INT what % other characters are smarter->what IQ has that % people smarter) express ONLY "normal" people. They're constricting on the high end, where "this is inhuman" scaling takes off long before you can express a genius (18 INT = 137-138 IQ) or a weightlifter (18 STR = a deadlift of 540 pounds, well under even the women's deadlift record.) They're equally constricting on the low end, where there's no space for tards between the school janitor (3 INT = 63-63 IQ) and a literal housecat (2 INT RAW). It simply isn't a system able to model people who are more unusual than 1-in-200.

>Or, put more succinctly, in your high school the INT 4 guys were in the diversion program. The helmet brigade is INT 2 or below.
By the MM, creatures below 5 INT cannot understand language. Creatures below 3 INT are not sentient.

By PHB and basic math, characters start with at least their native language, yet even a few PCs in a thousand will start with 3-4 INT. (More precisely, a few 4d6 drop lowest rolls in a thousand will result in 3 or 4; PCs are of course intelligently designed so an imbalance in real or perceived stat usefulness could sway this, of course, but at that point it's an argument for nerfing INT builds to improve game balance.)

If the MM does specify minimum 5 INT for language, it's either a rules conflict in which I'd prefer to defer to a well-documented how it works in reality, or a special rule for the added intelligence needed to master the languages of another species.

rolling is not meant to be the standard and will make illogical characters

>my way of analyzing how this works is better than the game's way because it has MATH
I mean, yo can play your games however the fuck you want, but it's still just your opinion on the matter and not inherently better or worse. if the manual says that you need int 5 to understand language then that's how it works. Anything else, no matter how much sense it makes to you, is houseruling.

>because you can't pretend to be someone smarter then yourself