Ice and Fire RPG

Hey all, so tonight I'm going to be starting an Ice and Fire game with a couple of friends. We built up a house and are going to be starting around a few months after Roberts Rebellion and the Targs fleeing Dragonstone. I have plenty of ideas for adventures and little side quests I just wanted to ask and gauge the opinion of peeps on maybe some I haven't thought of.
I learned a good deal about some of the stuff going on around this time, particularly Dorne being ready to go to war against the Throne. Just wondering if anyone else has any good ideas for some fun times in this chaotic period.
Their house is an island sworn to Dragonstone, had to make up a small new island a little out of the way so it doesn't mess with lore. Wrote out a whole history and damn their lucky roles making their house a little strong to start out with. Already have ideas how to bring that down a little bit.
Also, still kind of new to the system. Have a fairly good handle on it but any useful homebrew or adjustments would be awesome to hear. Learned most about the system from the old House Malroy quest from awhile ago.

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/6sar1o14399xv/SIFRP
mediafire.com/folder/6sar1o14399xv/SIFRP#6sar1o14399xv
sendspace.com/file/gaap1x
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Well, what do you want from us?

Be wary of anyone taking Blood of Heroes for Athletics, it makes an unarmed combat character highly overpowered.

Never heard of this system before OP, not really surprised it's a thing. Does the game normally focus on the party making a house and trying to survive/thrive or something? been looking for a cool game to run where the party is some people in charge of a small nation/faction in the world, but i don't know a lot about GoT, is it fairly adaptable from what you've seen/experienced so far?

What's the House Background, what did they roll for events.
Could have them at odds with the crown if they fought for the Dragon or stayed neutral during Bobby's wild ride.

House Celtigar could be an antagonist as they are after the Rebellion the wealthiest House in the region around Dragonstone. Stannis isn't yet named the Lord of the region and the Velaryon are down for the count at the moment.

With the Rebellion freshly ended you'll have a ton of pirate ship hunting in the waters, it'll end when Stannis brings the hammer down over their head and the House could either help the Iron Throne in clearing the sea or be a safe harbor for the pirates.

Also post their ressources numbers

I House rule a 3 drawback penalty if one takes Blood of the Heroes. and they get no Destiny Points out of these mandatory 3.

The House rules are easily the best part of the system.

I've read the social conflict rules over and over and they sound amazing. I plan in implementing something similar in a game in writing. Does it play out as good as it sounds?

Their house background is they are the result of some Rhoynish refugees during the Rhoynar Invasion that broke off from Nymeria and went further north looking for safe harbor. Landed on island, knight on island took up her cause and helped her steal island from the Storm King and they got hitched.

For the background events they rolled Ascent, Treachery, Favor, Favor, Glory, Victory. And yes, I am convinced they fudged those results to get the good stuff which I am ok with cause I can work around it. The only really annoying thing is how committed they were to investing anything they could into power. So they have a powerful fleet they bought but not much else, it goes with the history so I thought it ok.

They aren't the most democratic group of people so I expect them to make enemies of House Celtigar at the very least with how prickly their lord is. They wanted to be under Stannis specifically, that's why they made their house here, but they probably don't realize how critical Stannis might be of them for being neutral during the fighting which will be interesting. They also have a very antagonistic relationship with pirates in the past so the pirate fighting angle is going to play out tough against them.

>they have a powerful fleet they bought but not much else
There you have your first hook.

Their people needs to eat, if they have the coins they can set up a fish industry or even some agriculure if the land and season allow it. A sheep herd or even cows could be possible but they'd have to reach out to a House with an herd and enter negociations to buy some wholesale herd or slowly grow theirs as the House bring in by ship the cattle.

Lack of food makes for an angry population, which turn into banditry and if left to simmer open conflict with the House, even more so if they are backed by an exterior player.

>They aren't the most democratic group of people
So they'll piss the wrong people at the wrong time and things will be much harder for them, if they piss an ancient and more powerful House, the Lord could send up a rumor that the whores at the town port are diseased which would make the few trading ships your player's House might receive pass for much cleaner ports. House Celtigar is perfect for that angle but you could find or create another one.

>They wanted to be under Stannis specifically, that's why they made their house here, but they probably don't realize how critical Stannis might be of them for being neutral during the fighting

Oh boy, Stannis will chew them out something fierce for staying out of the fight and might even resort to confiscate their warships as compensation for those lost by lower Houses who joined the fight, with their force at sea gone, they'll be fairly easy for a pirate group to launch an attack against and being on the shitlist of the Mannis would ensure that he won't lift a finger until the very last moment in order to teach them a lesson.

They'll have to play nice and get back in Stannis good grace but the Mannis hates ass-kisser and being a bunch of dicks your group will seem like a bunch of ass-kisser.

Throw them some plot hook related to the mainland from time to time, like a tourney or something.

Their Rhoynish origin could also be used, as they kept good relation with Dorne and they have ships bearing the color of dornish House frequently making stops at their port town.

With Dorne in turmoil they'll have to swear for Stannis after having pissed him off, or before to make things much more instable.
This could also create bad blood with the Valyrian House, since the Rhoynish came to Westeros to escape the Dragon Lords.

Also since you've learned from Malroy use the death of the Celtigar knight as a tension builder.
>He died because of YOU! The House Celtigar is gearing up for war against you. And now you've got to find allies, but Since the Malroys have charmed the Crackclaw Houses, you won't find help from there(they think your players are assholes anyway).

Use the homebrew holdings to spice things up.
Be stingy with the exp reward or they'll end up with 8 dices in nearly all abilities.
From time to time capsize one of their trading vessel and deduce the wealth loss in the month's House Fortune.

This stuff is solid gold OP.

Thanks for all this, sounds like some good hooks and a great way to give them an early punch in the gut. Going to be starting off with an early tourney arc to get them familiar with the system since everyone's new to this D6 one. They aren't fully in control of the House at the start which gives me some room to play out some things at the start, but it'll eventually fall in their laps when the current lord dies and the wolves will start circling in earnest. Trying to give them a little breathing room to learn things before we go hard mode.

Yeah, it could be used for any feudal type game pretty well. Might have to home brew anything to do with magic though.

Anyone happen to have a pdf of the book?

thepiratebay.org/torrent/8089250/A_Song_of_Ice_and_Fire_Roleplaying

here

mediafire.com/folder/6sar1o14399xv/SIFRP

All the books except the Chronicle starter.

mediafire.com/folder/6sar1o14399xv/SIFRP#6sar1o14399xv
Not the most complete things but this will get you started.

thanks user's, this really helps me out
this one looks like something interesting kek.

About your group, they have no wealth holdings at all? Not even a maester? Or is a player playing a maester?

As with most (all?) point-buy systems, ASOIAF rpg is fairly easily broken. A fair number of the Benefits are not mechanically balanced with each other, which is fine for thematic purposes, but can be a bit counter-intuitive.

For instance, Long Blade Fighter sounds fairly appropriate for a lot of characters (one of the premade PCs has it), but it's not only a bad choice of a Benefit (Expertise (Long Blades) is mechanically superior in practically all situations), it's redundant if using Advanced combat rules. Also, all the weapon mastery benefits are outright shit.

Similarly, getting a Valyrian Steel Heirloom is, from a mechanical standpoint, pointless, as the actual in-game benefits of Valyrian Steel are fairly small, and the requirements (1 Destiny for this Benefit, plus 1 more for Heir or Head of House) are quite steep.

tl;dr: give some RP bonuses to people who take stuff like Born of the Walrus Men, Fury or Deft Hands, because they're obviously Trap options.

Nah, one of them is playing a maester. They got a port, market, and Food Agriculture starting off. They want to go for a distillery eventually so we'll see how that turns out.

Our groups is: House Heir, Bastard Born Daughter, Sworn Sword, Maester, and a Red Priest. The Red Priest was definitely an interesting choice but I see it as a good hook for Essos shenanigans so I allowed it.

A merchant set up a smuggling ring into the far corner of a House domain.
He brings a portion of the ores he digs out and pays a token tax fee from the House.
He bribes/threathen the smallfolk to keep their mouths shut.
He has the ambition to take over the claim to the House in a few years, as he's backed by a rival House who may or may not betray him in the end.
A new merchant trying to make a name and a place for himself approach the Lord, talks about ships berthing away from the settlements in the dead of the night.
The new merchant has no proof of the foul play but the seed his planted and the Lord demands the traitorous merchant what the fuck is up, gets told that this is all lies and slander but a jealous man.
The Lord believes it but the players acting as retainer don't buy it, and send a few men to investigate.
Meanwhile a former bannerman of the House comes to the castle to warn of some queer happenings, sounds like a lot like what the new merchant said.
At the same moment in the countryside, the spies are watching the smuggling happening.
In one fell swoop they catch nearly everyone, a small fight begins and ends with the death of some thugs and the location of one or more mines, depending of the awareness rolls of the players and for how long have they spied on the bandits.

Resolved by either spending wealth to buy back the holding, the money would mainly go to the smallfolk forced to work in the mine, this would make the peasant loves their lord and reduce the threat of banditry. The new merchant would become a loyal retainer to the House and offer intel in the happening of the region.
Or take it by force, throwing the merchant in jail and seizing his wealth and contacts, another awareness rolls and the House will find the rival backer if successful. Either way they'd get influence for their ruthless way of dealing with traitors but the smallfolk would grow resentful of their Lord.

What do you think of this draft, I think I could work on it some more

>They want to go for a distillery eventually so we'll see how that turns out.
Allow them, but create unrest when the alcohol makes the workers skips their duty, before long the law score will lower and trouble will start to appear in the main settlement.
They'll have to invest into either a garrison to keep the shit from going overboard or a barrister/jail to keep it at a relative safe level.

Real talk. Mythras does everything this RPG tries to do, but better. The only thing this RPG does better is house creation.

Well, that's the only good part of it anyway so...

How the fuck do you run this game? What is a normal scenario for players to be in?

depends on what you want to do > poitics? D&D combat?

Come one people give the guy some more ideas to run his campaign.

I posted a extremely rough draft of some magic for tg to help decide if i was getting the feel of asoiaf magic right. its only fire magic and i havent done the numbers (being unsure if i'll keep what i have) but heres what i got for his red priest.

Would require a new speciality and some would be hidden behind higher lvl, like the manipulate wildfire would be a rank 5 ability.
A roll would be needed to see if the spell works and depending on the degree of difficulty and the degree of success how powerful it is

Would you like to share the pdf?Been looking for it but only found the quick-rules version

yeah i havent even begun to stat it out, mainly because im worried it might not fit in the setting as is. i'd have to make an outline for blood, green, water {somehow}, shadow, wind, and song magic before i could even begin to stat.

not them but:
sendspace.com/file/gaap1x

much appreciated.

Personally I'm not touching magic yet though I know it'll start to be a thing later for Red Priest toon. Going to start really subtle with it if I can, the only thing even remotely magic related that exists in close proximity to them right now is an old Hag who is rumored to be "an old rhoynish water witch".

one of those spells is just making fires bigger, another is just lighting normally flammable things. i say this as both a creator desperate for feedback and also because a red priest allowed to go roaming is likely to have at least a little magic.

>a red priest allowed to go roaming is likely to have at least a little magic.
No
Such ''house'' would not survive in the world of asoiaf

i'm not entirely sure what your trying to say here? red priests are taught at a temple the things they need to know {including spells} and then the temple decides when and where they to, or at least thats what thoros seemed to imply and nothing has really contradicted it.

Even though Stannis got Melissandre as a retainer he only did so after years of being cooped up in Dragonstone doing nothing but grinding his teeth into powder, if you let your red priest roam too freely around and he gets wind of that so close to the end of the Rebellion his blood will sing him to push your House's shit in.

Magic only became powerful with the Red Comet/Dany's dragon, for now they'd be parlor tricks and low key stuff.
What's the Influence score of the Lord NPC anyway? You could demote them into a lower rank for not participating into the war.

theres an archmaester position based entirely around magic, a maegi advertised entirely unmolested in lanisport for years before cersei visited her, maester luewin had to tell a lord off for listening to a hedge wizard, and thoros was a red priest doing red priest stuff assigned directly to robert, not just fire sword but scrying with fire too. pyromancers also know a little magic and were in kings landing.

Either way, as it stands I won't be letting the priest have any kind of magic at least until we get to the GoT time period. I might let him pull the trick with wildfyre that Thoros does, if he is ever lucky enough to be anywhere near someplace he can acquire some. But yeah, no serious magic till the comet, and even then nothing stupid flashy. I've played Mage: Ascension, I can keep my magic subtle.

Be sure not the throw them into the deep end of politics or else they'll be forced to rub shoulders against the likes of Renly, Tywin and the high players in Westeros.
Have them make a name for themselves around Dragonstone, being a House Stannis will not think twice to call when he needs shit done.

Once there, they can work to make a name for themselve in the Crownlands at large and when that is set in stone in Westeros in general.

Each time you'll set them against Houses of the same caliber as to make them sweat.

Or don't, and watch them fuck it up.

Bump

>pyromancers also know a little magic and were in kings landing.
They're also the first ones to admit that their spells barely worked until the comet