>/5eg/ Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Tomb of Annihilation leaks album
imgur.com/a/iglMj

>Tomb of Annihilation complete official art dump (pdf)
mega.nz/#!JyB0zbhI!UqyuEBdi65FfAWpQYJU8htDvJ8XE4wy_vpLOBQEZXc4

>Tortle Package (pdf)
mega.nz/#!Kgw10Qha!DvWcsgAyGdNFtspYAUNWNCCPrzALIWY36ES9UXWCXRI

>Previous thread:

Thread Question:
Which class still needs more archetypes or what archetypes do you still want to see?

Other urls found in this thread:

dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage-advice/rules-answers-august-2015
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

how do I muscle wizard in 5e

As said, half-drow have always been a thing, the only thing is back then when everything was blamed on underdark radiation it said most half-drow are just gimpy half-elves because there's no way they would be raised in the underdark. Surface drow (playable drow) also had that penalty so they lost magic resistance and spells.

Dwarves have 1d4+3 inches
Elves have 1d3+5 inches
Giant-Kin 1d3+8 inches
Gnomes have 1d3+2 inches
Goblins have 1d3+6 inches
Humans 1d4+3 inches
Orcs 1d3+6 inches
Tieflings 1d6+5 inches

War Cleric or Paladin.

EK if you must.

Pump that strength, bro.

Personally, I want to see more Sorcerous Origins, Warlock Patrons and Arcane Traditions.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd definitely prioritize the first two, since there's so very few options for either Sorcerers or Warlocks, but still, I'd like to see if 5e can pull off a decent Elementalist or Chronomancer tradition.

More Paladins. The phb oaths are cool but the ua options for them are pretty shit

Sorcerer, easily. The options plus storm are limiting if you aren't interested in DRAGONS fluff or lolrandom.

Oath of the Crown is cool.

I wanna play a Bonedad.
Fluffy or nonfluffy is fine.

Any class/race recommendations?

Anons? In the last thread, I asked for feedback on a homebrewed race - tel-amhothlans, a half-elf half-orc race that originally appeared in Kingdoms of Kalamar 3e. Long story short, you guys said I'd gotten it surprisingly balanced.

That means I just gotta figure out lore for my custom setting to fit them in. Would it be magical realm to include the following as setting canon?

"Most tel-amhothlans possess drow lineage, and are the results of male drow mating with female orcs chosen from amongst the vast population of slaves that all drow cities rely upon. A surprising number of such unions develop into something deeper than merely stress relief in the face of the overwhelming and oft-lethal power that female drow bring to bear in matters of the bedroom."

>Which class still needs more archetypes or what archetypes do you still want to see?
all martials need more archetypes. Casters already have spells, martials should have more archetypes.

I'd like to see more mundane Barbarian varieties, currently there's Battlerager and Berzerker and that's it. This might be an area where they can slot in that Pugilist-style bare fist fighter that people are always trying to turn Monks into. Also I'd like more neutral-oriented Paladins to add to the good and evil oaths we have already, and more fighter archetypes with superiority die or some other kind of actual resource to spend.

Depends on how much detail you go into, if it's just a passing explanation shouldn't be too far into magival

>Which class still needs more archetypes or what archetypes do you still want to see?
Sorcerer

What you see in the post is all that was intended to be stated.

I think it is actually quite sweet, but i am /d/egenerate, so...

Yea, more non-magical archetypes for martials would be great.

I've been playing too much Skyrim and now I think it's weird that there's no active blocking. Tell me how this sounds.

>Blocking: You can block in place of one of your normal attacks. If you take the block action on your turn all attacks done by you and against you have disadvantage until you take the unblock action.

>Unblock: You can unblock in place of one of your normal attacks, removing the effects of blocking on you.

Bladesinger probably. Tavern Brawler feat so you can cast fist more effectively.

What's stopping you from taking the block action at 7am and blocking all day until bedtime?

well thats weird considering skyrim has dnd style blocking

ie you cant attack at all

What's a Bonedad?

What would be a good backstory/character traits for a Revenge Paladin? Oath of Vengeance is a must, but I don't necessarily know how to play as one without seeming too repetitive. How do I make it interesting?

If your drow are like the drow from Faerun, doesn't really fit, but that's what the nation of Dambrath is for.

Why is Vhuman busted but not Half-elf, my dudes? I wanna see the math

Sounds like it would make combats longer.

They're both busted.

Would a cleric of Bane crash a ship with no survivors?

ok guys
I'm gonna start a tumblr blog for converting 3.5 monsters to 5e
What should I call it / url? I'm thinking "thirdtofifth" cause that's still available. I want something short but catchy, I'd love any ideas you have. Also monsters from 3.5 that you'd like to see converted to fifth ed.

Feats are powerful, but situational.

Stat bumps and skill proficiency are always active.

Taking ideas from Skyrim.
You have to leave.

>start in jan
>all the books
>DM one online with buddies - no one cares/tardy/playing game/noshow until I stop dming
>lvl 2 at lgs - some npc enslaves us with fate, wander off and try to do anything
>deathknight shows up and kills me

havent played since June

is it true - no dnd is better than bad dnd?

If the Kid from Bastion was a DND character, what race/class/stats would he have?

I guess it is. A bad game can really ruin your mood.

3fifthscompromise

They're both really good. There's at least some classes where +2 Cha isn't useful, and a few builds where there's no feat good enough to pass up stat boosts, but they're both good enough that if your character's build wants either a feat or +2 Cha it's really hard to justify not picking them on a mechanical basis.

I think the other big thing with Vhuman is that you get the feat right away, no waiting for it.

this

Proficient in all weapons, highly mobile, bonus effects based on items. Probably fighter, or paladin with spells refluffed as minor magical artifacts.

Brilliant

Absolutely true. A bad game is stressful and shitty, and can ruin your attitude towards even good games.

That's....really good. Yet I want to be able to share this blog with my normalfag players without awkward questions. Man, and you got dubs, too.

lulz nonwithstanding, do you think that'd be an acceptable name? I like it but I'm worried I'd get bombarded with people calling me racist.

Well, nobody's gonna top that.

new spells from xanathar's

I don't know if I should abandon my current game or not. The DM really has no idea what he's doing.

>all unarmed attacks are a d6, even for monks of all levels
>you can only move at the start of your turn
>you can only take your bonus action after your action
>paladins need to worship a god despite the setting being vanilla Forgotten Realms
>divine smite has to be called out on attack, not on hit
>maximized crits
>allows players to "hold their action" and take their turn later in the initiative count

The worst part is all this shit had to be found out while playing the game, usually right as I'm about to do something.

>summon greater demon
My body is ready.

Get out while you still can.

>Toll the Dead

oh

oh no

no no no

Why all those changes to rules? Why?

...do you really make bigger damage with fist than with dagger?

I mean, i get some of these (max. crits, theist paladins, holding action), but others seems pretty arbitrary. Is your DM 3e fag?

>allows players to "hold their action" and take their turn later in the initiative count
Wait, that's not okay? I've been doing that as a house rule for a while now. It encourages planning and teamwork in my opinion. I mean, it's not entirely realistic but whatever. I ran a game a couple nights ago and I let people delay their turns so they could get the big guy drawn away from the spellcasters.

>maximized crits
In addition to the extra dice? Would be broken for rogues but for basic attacks I don't really see the issue if he's going for a more lethal game. But, rogues. So yeah.

>maximized crits
nothing wrong with this

I might be remembering wrong, but I'm pretty sure this was a thing you could do officially in 3.5; you could always go down, you just couldn't go up.

.It's not realistic to wait for your team to get organized before rushing in
Hello, Leeroy.

Run as far and as fast as you can

>No summon greater devil
DROPPED

Bonedad, or Bondrewd, an explorer/scientist who holds no ethical boundary in the pursuit of truth and progress. To solve an issue in which he would be affected by a curse that would turn him into a mindless flesh monster if he explored a certain region, he experimented and realized that the curse can be relegated by having people travel together, the deeper the affection one person has for another, the more they act as a filter for a person they care for, taking more of the curse themselves. So, as a scientist he decided to raise a bunch of poor orphan children, with genuine love, affection and fatherly feelings, to eventually knock them out and convert them all into "cartridges" or little boxes he can carry around with him that contain only the vital organs, brain, heart, and tissue in which a person can be considered "alive." That was all so he could explore the region without fear of being cursed and losing any information he gained as the "cartridge" would absorb the curse for him while he explored because of how he made the child love him.

He's not edgy though, it personality is overall just enthusiastic for knowledge and he holds no ill will towards anyone who fights him, just curiosity and a desire to learn. He even lets the heroes go after they foil his plans because at that point there was nothing to gain from stopping them.

In 5e its tied into a specific trigger

so you are allowed to wait for something you know or expect is going to happen
"I'll wait for the rogue to trigger the trap before rushing in to the fight" etc

Holding your initiative is a bad idea, especially when players have the option to do it every turn. There are better ways to switch around the initiative order.

dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage-advice/rules-answers-august-2015

>In addition to the extra dice?

No, just the regular die. As in a crit with a dagger deals 4+modifier damage.

>It's not realistic to wait for your team to get organized before rushing in
Typically you get organised before rolling initiative.

>Wait, that's not okay?
Why would it be okay? The ready action exists for a reason and it comes with costs. You use your reaction to do it, so you can't also do an AoO. If you're doing it with a spell, an enemy can interrupt your casting.
You're just giving them a catch-all for free. Not to mention you'd have to make sure to end effects that end at the start/end of their turn start/end at the initiative count they acted at.

It's not supported RAW or RAI, iirc, you can still allow it as the DM but normally it's you can only hold your action.

Typically you don't blindly rush at your enemy even when ambushed.

Well, holding your turn have it's drawback too - you can't interrupt someone in middle of his action and need to wait after he finishes his turn to act.

It is complicated, but i don't think it breaks anything per se.

So the Grappled condition says that if a spell or effect would remove a grappled creature from the reach of the grappler, the grapple is broken, but is the opposite true?

Say for instance you're a level 14 totem barbarian with the 14th level eagle feature, and there's a wizard flying around so you go into a rage, leap into the air, and grapple the wizard. The feature states that if you are still in midair at the end of your turn, you fall to the ground. Does the wizard come with you?

>It is complicated
What you said in this post makes zero sense; that's something different from "complicated".

No, but if you have a shot at someone but shout at your friend "hey, hold him down so I can shoot him" then I don't really see the issue. Especially if they had a chance to plan beforehand.

Yes. And there is nothing wrong with a readied action, i.e. "I prepare to do X if Y happens." So that way if you have an army battering down a gate, for example, with archers tensed and ready to fire, the berserkers don't get to run 60 feet and swing before the archers simply let go of the bowstrings they already had drawn.

Oh we always said you had to do it later in that same turn, or you lost your turn for that round. Sorry, I'm used to 3rd Ed still. And I forgot the ready action actually exists in 5e. Derp. I fucked up never mind.

>No, just the regular die. As in a crit with a dagger deals 4+modifier damage.
Hmm. Yeah that's kinda boring. It's the 4e way but honestly rolling dice on a crit just feels more fun, and a crit should be a damage spike, not something you could have rolled anyway.

Nah the article that guy linked made some pretty strong arguments against it. Delaying was always something I hated in 3.5 because it seemed too generous, but I like readying actions. With delaying I feel like people "forgot" their turns way too often, so it just ended up being a wasted turn.

>you fall if you end your turn in the air and nothing else is holding you aloft.
Flying wizard keeps you airborne.

I'd have the wizard make a concentration check or something.

>be first
>cast shield
>everyone attacks you, misses because of sheild
>next turn, delay to go last
>everyone attacks you, misses because of sheild
you get double shield by messing with initiative order

What's the wizard's carry weight? If it's less than what the barb+gear weighs, he sinks.

>Warlock Patron kills Warlock's familiar and replaces it with an Imp who is constantly shouting at the party about how his will must be done

Am I going too far by doing this?

How much does the warlock like his familiar?

Are there any D&D streamers that actually know the rules of the game?

yeah

a warlock is already very weak fluffwise

Did the Warlock player agree to this happening? If so, all is well. If not, stop fucking doing shit without consent.

I kind of assumed when you mess with the system like this, you tie your effects duration to the initiative count instead of your turn. That's why i said it is complicated.

Sorry for miscommunication.

>Every development in the game must be pre-approved by the players no matter how inconsequential

Uh no

Mark Hulmes?

It's not inconsequential, it's a class feature.

I'm assuming he's saying that he's replacing his find familiar with another familiar, rather than excising it entirely.

In which case it's a matter of fluff (actually a mechanical boost if anything since Imp familiar is a bonus feature for Pact of the Chain) and no, it doesn't matter at all.

Play a Cleric or Strength-based Bard.

It matters if the player doesn't want an imp.

>If tie to initiative count
>Delay
>Do something that has an effect until the start of your next turn
>Don't delay next round
>Get to abuse the effect a second time
No matter what you do it breaks stuff.

>two PCs are fighting
>I want to go last
>no, I want to go last!
[game never ends]

>paladins need to worship a god despite the setting being vanilla Forgotten Realms
Nothing wrong with this. Arguably makes more sense for FR than 5E's standard way of doing it.
>maximized crits
Nothing wrong with this.
>delay turns
Pretty sure that's in the DMG, and was a standard rule in past editions besides.

RAW, delaying your turn permanently moves your initiative for all future rounds, and you cannot make use of it if you are suffering from or imposing an effect that does some "until the ____ of your [next] turn" shit.

So if you're initiative 17, and you want to delay until after your bro who's initiative 14, you will be initiative 13 from then on. You do not go back to 17. And theoretically, if you've delayed all the way down to 1, you should be able to delay even further by gaining numbers.

For all the wonkiness that CAN arise from turn-dependent effects under the delay system, I still think it's more elegant and usable than the Readied Action crap.

In 3e if you held your turn, your initiative shifted to the count at which you actually acted. No such problems.

When two PCs are fighting, you are having much worse problems. Why would you even wanted to go last in fight 1:1, anyway?

Delaying turns is only mentioned in Sage Advice where Crawford explicitly says it was left out for reason.

A quarut appears and kills both of them so that the flow of time can be restored.

Still breaks Shield. Like I said, no matter what you do it still breaks stuff.

>When two PCs are fighting, you are having much worse problems.
Doesn't even need to be two PCs. If they players can do it then any enemy can 'hold their turn' too.

>Was a standard rule in past editions
Cool the discussion is about 5e

>you cannot make use of it if you are suffering from or imposing an effect that does some "until the ____ of your [next] turn" shit

>the system that says you can't draw two daggers at once at the start of combat without a feat

Sorry if that wasn't clear, yeah they'd get a new familiar who'd be a voice to make their patrons instructions clear.

They forget they have it a lot of the time

And now you can't do something later in the turn when you normally would have with the ready action that you replaced.
STILL breaks something.

>Still breaks Shield.
Assuming this: How does it break shield? Sorry if i am dense, i just don't see it.

If anything, it makes it less useful, since some enemies can just wait after your turn to attack you.