EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Player Control Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: What's the strangest old card you use?

haven't gotten a chance to use it yet but this is in my alesha deck

If I wanted to make this lady my commander what should I expect from my table? My group is on the casual side

>Altar
>Strange
Pick one

>Thread Question

pic related, use it in my Taigam, attack, remove from combat and ta-da

I use this card in zedruu, people always have to read it twice before they understand how annoying it actually is
Ashnod's altar is a pretty common card in token/graveyard decks, seeing as it is a free sac outlet, and it turns tokens into mana

forgot pic

Maybe they misread it as "strongest".

>What's the strangest old card you use?

Sometimes you're not technically allowed to kill artifacts, but you really want to.

What are some annoying things about your playgroup ?

For me what gets annoying is we have an unofficial official card cost (except for lands )and people get pissy if you play something that's fairly more expensive. For example if I have mana vault out everyone bitches and moans that I spend too much on cards but if someone else plays a scalding tarn or even a tundra no one cares even though those cost way more than mana vault.

whoops I don't know how to read

>tfw handling cards double sleeved with fresh dragon shield mattes

perfect ergonomics, gloss and thiccness

Seems kinda awkward with prices rising out of control these days

>New comic book shop opened up near my work place, pop in today during my lunch break to check it out see if they had any Ixalan stuff
>Turns out it's not a comic book place, it's a collectibles place (And by collectibles I mean a bunch of old 90s action figures and novelty mugs and stuff)
>See they have Pokemon TCG boosters lying around, ask if they have any Magic stuff
>Goes into the back and pulls out a small handful of cards
>It's a stack of like 80 commons from Homelands/Ice Age, and not even the good ones I mean shit like pic related.
>Looking around the store everything seemed kinda low priced, so I offered $10 for the whole stack.
>He says he can't go that low, asks for $25
>Try to play his game and try haggling to 20
>Says he's not gonna go lower than $25
>I say thanks anyways and leave to go to my LGS and pick up 6 packs of Ixalan for $20 and got that Dowsing Dagger land, a Glacial Fortress and a foil Lannery Storm

How has your day gone so far magic wise /edhg/?

I used to use a card called "Chaos Orb" but I stopped using it when I learned of it's extremely high value (read as cash price) as a card.

I ordered an Atraxa to start building a new deck. I'm going to throw together some cards and see how it does.

>Atraxa

Kill yourself

That card is conveniently also banned in EDH.

No one is prepared for Willow Satyr allowing my mono green deck to steal creatures.

No one in your group plays with spot removals or board wipes?

No thanks

What I mean is, he always makes people read him when he steals a card.

post youre favorite card

Why so much land?

Are voltron commanders like Jenara and Rafiq only good in two player or can they still have use in four player and up?

I like Deflecting Palm's buffer older brother.

>drove to local store
>didn't have eldrazi monument or reanimate
>no one there to play
>leave

Do you mind moving the autism a but? I want to see your favorite card.

>>>>reddit

>want to make Ink Eyes deck
>Ninjutsu only works from your hand and not the command zone

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

use Vela, Sygg or Scarab as your ninja commander instead

Jenara isn't great, but Rafiq actually has the potential to instantly kill multiple players if built right (the secret is taking extra turns). You'll also have access to cards like Propaganda to help ward off opponents if you do happen to paint a target on your head.

Any creature that's particularly abusable in a Ulvenwald Tracker + Stuffy Doll combo? I tried to look among defenders but I couldn't find anything with a remarkably high power-to-cmc ratio.

Hm yeah that's solid, same cmc as Stuffy too

I love Koko and want the new IM art version.

People who play athreos are bad at the game :^)

I guess an alternative would be to just put a Primal Cocoon on some useless creature as a ostensible joke in a Doubling Season deck

off the top of my head:

malignus
phyrexian devourer
serra avatar

if your table has a proliferator:

Anyone with a good deck will have some sort of card that prevents it from hitting the battlefield.

is that not the case with e.g. LoE though as well? the combo in question seems to mostly be janky casual fun anyway

>interaction with Planeswalkers
>Dark Depths
>Cumulative Upkeep
neat

Finally put together a Yeva list that I feel reasonably satisfied with, and bit the bullet on a Gaea's Cradle and Willow Satyr. I've wanted a cradle for ages, the holiday overtime at work has finally convinced me now is the time.

i mean don't get me wrong i realize threatening to nuke hydras and walkers is going to draw a lot of hate but i feel it's not gonna be significantly more than a ~40/40 fatty

I regularely get lockdown on the table using pic related

I sold a Volcanic Island and a Scrubland to a guy at my LGS, found a guy with a huge foil collection who wanted my EDH jank and got some sweet trades out of it, saw that my store had started to stock russian packs of Ixalan so I bought a dozen of them opened pure shit, then played EDH for 5 hours straight.

it's strong early and then a boardwipe drops and you lose

I love cards like this and planar chaos

wish there was some artifact that let me force shuffle libraries

like a one drop tap: each player shuffles their library

tho something tells me its too powerful at that mana cost since it destroys a lot of tutors and deck stacking effects

?

Today is the day. Planeswalkers are legendary. Reki has to cut about 7 legends. This might make the deck less fun. Wish me luck.

well close enough, in multiplayer games its not gonna ammount to much tho

Be a total asshole and force them to shuffle between each trigger.

Should I put together:

Edgar Markov Vampires
or
Phage Control
or
[Random Bant Commander] Enchantress

Holy fuck, I never realised this combo until now. That's awesome.

Is Karador fun?

>What's the strangest old card you use?
Nobody expects the blue Nostalgic Dreams.

well I just wanted the everyone shuffles effect at instant speed so no one can brainstorm or scry their way into winning the psychic battle

What combo? The treefolk is just a 3/5 with only flavortext, Volcanic hammer just deals damage to a creature or player, and the Enchantment just makes a strong creature-enchanted land and can be fetched from the graveyard.You would need some other cards to create an actual combo out of that.

I just having a Divining Top or Soothsaying in play.

It's ok, not everyone can be equally good at the game

I dont play top, too obnoxious same with scroll rack ugh

have*
Also Scroll Rack. I never lose the psychic battle because this is a picture of my decks curve.

>Points out that there is no combo
>"Y-you just have to believe in the heart of the cards to git gud!"
You what?

*blocks your path*

our aggro dude have cast this more than once against our hapatra player.

Or just use Blasphemous Act also

It was an obvious joke, there is zero synergy between any of those cards, the fact that you felt a need to point this out clearly leads me to believe you need to git gud

how many wrath of gods is too many wrath of gods?

good joke my brother
>heart of the cards
kek. it's just anons joking around user. he wasn't actually serious.

that's been played as well but isn't it more fun to attack with 30 snakes, take out another player then swing because you just untapped all of the blockers

The problem with that card is that you don't get to choose WHO they attack. So it's basically a 4 mana shitty fog.

Since EDH is a singleton format, I'd say two. Two is too many.

depends
youre gonna need a bunch of counterspells and an aetherling or something for your wincon too
manlands maybe?
plus draw spells

>Shows knowledge of magic and pointing out there is no combo
>"Gid gud son"
Nice meme. You'll be playing with the big boys someday with that method!
I'm seeing how far I can get him to shitpost

>Posts a meme image
Come on lad, use your big boy words. I want to hear your banter.

This whole exchange has been pure cringe, please one of you stop replying

wait really

>gay sex with hats on

Fucking beautiful

>you choose which creatures attack
It says nothing about who they attack, just that you can decide which creatures have to attack.
So if it's shitty dorks that trade down, they probably choose to attack the guy without blockers. If it's big meaty beats, they'll just swing them in your face.

i dont understand
what if i pick the "these creature have to attack" option, which face do they hit?

They get to pick

Any face they want to hit, all you did was decide that it HAD to attack, not who.

aw. that's boring.
shame pic related is sorc speed

"I declare that no creatures will block this turn. Alpha strike you for lethal."

Disrupt Decorum is the card you want, I think.

That works, but then it's just a 4 mana "creatures can't block this turn". Overall it's not really worth a card slot.

>except for lands

neat, you can use your ABUR duals to cast a craw wurm and noone will bitch at you.

Drop a tabernacle and watch their policy go up in smoke faster than you can say "Pay to Win"

What can go infinite mana with deadeye?

I love the art of this thing but I struggle to find a use for it.

Great Whale, Palinchron, Peregrine Drake, Cloud of Faeries (If you have a land that taps for 2).

If you really want to push it, you can add creatures that untap lands, if you have lands that tap for +3 and haste.

Creatures that tap themselves to untap lands*

Like Argothian Elder who also goes infinite with Maze of Ith during your combat step.

Some kind of pillowfort deck with ways to give enemies tokens, so they have to beat the fuck outta each other with all the creatures your giving them? Not sure exactly how you'd go about making it, but I'm sure it'd fit into one alright.

>How has your day gone so far magic wise /edhg/?
Drafted some Ixalan at FNM, got the WG land and new merfolk legend, then traded some dinos for some sweet Edgar Markov tech. Fathom feeder and Arguel's Blood Fast are in foil and by god are they beautiful

On the subject of Edgar, what's some must-cuts from his precon? Is Animate Dead worth it in his deck?

Fathom Feeder is a fucking gorgeous card.
Pity it's so meh.

Real shame

Who are y'all using pic related in?

I'm using it in Mairsil as an additional way to throw creatures/artifacts into the yard, especially since you never have to transform it

Kess

it sucks

>crushed beginner after he challenged me to modern with his planeswalkers deck
>had quite intense last round in draft said beginner
>traded flip cradle + wooded foothills for a 5c mana base
>got a bunch of red cards for the wurm tribal I'm planning to build
>payed for everything with foil Carnage Tyrant

Turns out red works are shit.
And shitting out 4/4 dinos has suprisingly little impact in Ixalan limited