Competitive Modern General

Best card edition

Playing?
Hating?
Thoughts on the meta?
Meme tech?

Are you playing a thoughtseize/IoK deck or a deck that gets thoughtseized/IoK'd?

>RESOURCES:
>Comprehensive Rules
>media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/resources/rules/MagicCompRules_21031101.pdf

>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/deck/524974
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-09-17-UIc-fetchless-storm/
tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/30-09-17-mWf-deck-paste/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>tfw brewing new deck
>Every time I bring it to FNM, have updates to make
>It's always "take out this cheap card and put in this expensive card"
I know this happens to you too Veeky Forums, what's the last card you've had to suck it up and get?

I've got Damnation on my buy list now

Cavern of souls for Boros humans.
Now the deck is even better in slow matchups

hey, I need to get Cavern too. The feel bad achiles heel right now is cryptic command

Luckily, none.
Proxies have been reliable for me at my LGS and since the prizing there is pretty good, the cards aren't worthless like some people like to say they are.

Cavern of Souls, but I've only got one. Going to get at least two more, but that's an eventuality. Control isn't even that present at my LGS, it's just precautionary.

Next is Vial, but I'm going to wait until it dips a bit with Iconic Masters.

What cards would you ban, Veeky Forums?

What cards would you unban?

I would unban:
BBE
DRS
Dig through time
Green sun's zenith
JTMS
Mental misstep
Preordain (NOT ponder though)
Skullclamp
SFM
Treasure cruise
Artifact lands

I would ban:
Back to Nature
Blood Moon
Inkmoth Nexus
Monastery Swiftspear

and birthing pod btw

Can a budget deck eve be competitive at all? Or do I have to drop 800 dollars to have fun

>can a budget deck even be competitive at all

No. Please, don't play modern if you only wanna spend 10 dollars.

There are plenty of good modern decks in the 500 range though. Either start there or don't at all.

Yeah budget decks can be really competitive. They won't win as much as top tier. They will come close. They're also not going to be the same style of deck. You can't swap out all of the cards in affinity for the most similar card that is cheap for example, but I see this as a good thing. If you're gonna be playing a budget deck it's definitely gotta have a unique playstyle that people dont see often.

>damnation

You mean that card that's like 15 dollars? Hope you don't break the bank with that.

I think playing Merfolk is the epitome of fun
There's no better feeling than vialing fish in

I'm a complete noob but like would this deck have a chance at all?
mtggoldfish.com/deck/524974

Is it worth it to run Remand over another cantrip like Shadow of Doubt or Anticipate? It looks good on paper but in practice I usually end up remanding some cheap spell just to cycle or it rots in my hand and messes up my tempo.

Noticeably weaker than top decks, but can definitely steal wins. The decks he's playing against are pretty legit though. I'll have to watch later and see how well he does cause the idea for this deck is badass.

I'm really curious why he doesn't run Cathartic Reunion though. Seems like that would be good in this.

vialing leonin arbiter

I need 2 more cavern of souls for my Eldrazi Esper toolbox. Death Shadow (stubborn denial) and "control" are pretty prevalent in my LGS meta, so I want to stop my nullifiers from being countered.

Also, RIP or Relic of Progenitus for getting those graveyard exiles to fuel my processors? I'm running Relic because it can give me card draw in a pinch, but RIP would just flush out so many resources people rely on, and outright hose specific decks.

I'm talking main board btw.

Depends on the level you plan to play at. If you plan on competing in major events probably not. The most expensive part of most decks are your land base. You need the fastest mana possible to be able to interact or race, so this creates a base cost of like 200$.

If you want to win a few games but don't wanna make a costly investment, build a burn deck. Those tend to be the cheapest point of entry.

Any other merfolk players here? Already tried kopala or the green splash for 1/2 drops? What did you take out/in and how did it go?

20th for Elves

>Playing?
G/B Tron.
>Hating?
Nothing in particular, I've come to accept that affinity and burn and such are never going to be great matches.
>Thoughts on the meta?
I'm pretty happy with it over all, though I'm somewhat saddened that my local meta is something like 30% Eldrazitron which has had the net effect of driving all the durdly midrange decks out and encouraging people to run as much land hate as humanly possible.
>Meme tech?
I run a 1-of Emrakul, the Promised End in my tron list. I will never not find it hilarious to kill someone with their own Scapeshift or Ad Naus.

Well Nikachu seems to think coco goes in place of master of waves.

Daily reminder to not respond to tripfags/namefags.

Well that's normal as it cannot hit him, I was wondering if there were any successes with the 2 drop that explores and the 1 mana 2/2.

anyone try out sultai vengevine? what does your build look like? currently running tombstalker over gurmag angler, not sure if the evasion is worth the extra B mana. Also, is 2 pithing needles in the sideboard enough to avoid being BTFO by relic/grafdigger? what else do you have in the sideboard. leave a comment below

>pithing needle
>doing anything to grafdiggers cage
Are you retarded?

hey just letting you know that I must not have read the card properly ahead of time, thanks for the comment be sure to click on that subscribe button thanks

>leave a comment below
>thanks for the comment be sure to click on that subscribe button thanks
What did he mean by this?

He thinks he's being funny.

what a dipshit

Its only funny after a blog post

big thanks to all my subscribers, keeping this channel alive

Says the tripfag

I use a trip to hold myself accountable. I don't hide behind anonymity.

Sure thing buddy

Thanks about that, so I can easily filter you

Do not reply to tripfags, just filter and move on.

Kumera’s Speaker is worse than Cosi’s Trickster. At least against opponents who can afford fetch lands.

The 2/1 with explore is good. Just not worth the opportunity cost of green.

Surely you're using collective brutality. Such a powerful card against burn.

I opened a foil one of these on MODO during a draft, should I hold onto it in the hopes of its price going up?

Personally I think the card is undervalued. He will not go up because of modern, but once standard merfolk becomes a deck he is going to shoot up in price

If you ever wanna upgrade it, snaps would do a lot of good in that deck

Just wait til the next set, if there's a 3 mana green merfolk lord, fish will probably want to become a GU deck.

>brewing

B/W Tempered Steel

It has racecars

Yes.

It's called Dredge. The only real expensive card is Bloodghast and that's getting reprinted.

Dredge is about 200-300 dollars still though. You can get away with some budget lands, the only hard one are the fetch lands.

How come the U/B combination is so bad in modern?

Because there's little reason to not add a 3rd colour.

Because WotC says UB is a mill only zone

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-09-17-UIc-fetchless-storm/

Any other fetchless storm players? Opinion on my latest Caleb Scherer copypasta I'll be taking to a tourney next week?

does he have any place in modern?

like can I play rabblemaster jund or something

Death's Shadow is basically UB and it's the best fair deck right now.

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-09-17-UIc-fetchless-storm/

I assume it's fetchless because budget, but I'd add one more mancer and get rid of 1 grapeshot for main deck warrens and remove Opt.
Replace it with tought scour.

Is it worth building the Deathvine deck?

T1 you can have two hallowed ones and two vengevines on the field. It's a really fun and strong deck when it works. But really inconsistent.

Never seen the deck before, but guessing cycled Street Wraith, Mountain, Faithless Looting pitching two Vengevines, two Hollow Ones, two Vengevines? That sounds incredibly inconsistent.

I can say dredge is a really fun deck. Other people might dislike you, but to hell with them

im a scrub with 50 bucks to spend, you think I can make an fnm viable burn deck since I have access to eidolons and goblin guides?

Sure. Stick to mono-red and you already have the expensive pieces. Its not a great deck, but I started out with it and won enough games to get store credit and upgrade.

>had like 30$ in store credit
>nothing to use it on
>decide to get 3 MM17 boosters
>pulled Voice of Resurgence, Misty Rainforest, Foil Marsh Flats and Gifts

Should I buy a lottery ticket?

what do you think about this for the mainboard?
tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/30-09-17-mWf-deck-paste/

Ill also probably be able to borrow an assorted set of red fetches so theres that too

>have $10 in store credit
>have crippling gambling addiction
>buy MM17 booster pack
>Venser Shaper Savant

Should I get help?

At least I also got a foil terminate which I'm playing now

Thunderous wrath is all kinds of bad, especially if you can't scry to set it up. I reccomend vexing devil or lightning strike instead as another bolt.

whys that? unless its in opening hand I cant see it as bad at all unless it gets remanded

if anything im looking to probably drop lava spike since theyre too expensive until I can rack up store cred to get them one by one

If you want to run it, consider running something like Tormenting Voice, because you'll never get the mana to cast it hard.

Ill probably just go with that list minus the lava spikes and a few searing blazes in its place till I can get store cred to get the spikes

if thunderous wrath doesnt play as well as im hoping ill probably drop it then when I get the spikes but for now it looks nice

>I assume it's fetchless because budget
No, it's the standard thing to do now.

>4x Opt
>4x Serum Visions
>4x Slight of Hand
that's way too many

Honestly, no. Don't let the tripfag blow smoke up your ass. If you don't draw one of your summonings and resolve it on curve then you just do a whole lot of nothing and die. Hell even when you do get it on curve you still probably die to fast, resilient decks, and cards like thoughtseize wreck you pretty hard.

>ban Back to Nature
Okay I'll take the bait. What?

>not casting vintage-level enchantments

>Playing?
Grim Captain's Call
>Hating?
Dredge always sacing me with great mills holy shit
>Thoughts on meta?
Its fine, its been better and worse.
>Meme tech?
Bad cards