/l5rg/ - Legend of the Five Rings General

Rulebooks:
onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AJzcaMoaAKE8_Ao&id=C15898E4CDDAB251!141&cid=C15898E4CDDAB251

Minor Clan Edition
Which Minor Clan is your favourite, and how have the Scorpion Clan fucked them over?

Other urls found in this thread:

l5r.wikia.com/wiki/Ki-Rin_Clan
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I love the Hare Clan, both from a mechanical point of view as their Techniques are fun (although my group buffed the second technique by giving it a +2k1 damage buff) and their flavour is endearing, with the whole "almost ronin" thing they got going and their close relationshipwith their peasents.

And for those who don't know, the Hare Clan got fucked over by the Scorpion when they let themselves get tricked by the Kolat into invading Hare Land, destroying the clan.

On a more personal note, when I played a Hare character I got really unlucky against an assassin manipulated by the Scorpion clan and died like a bitch on the third round.

bump

Monkey. Because they have the greatest Bushi school of all clans.

The scorpion adopted the Monkey. Nuff said.

I don't really care for any of the Minor Clans. And besides isn't it more of the Lion's thing to fuck up Minor Clans. The Lion have a hateboner for the Dragonfly and were the ones that were going to use the Fox, Wasp, and Sparrow clan's lands as their personal highway on the way to fucking up the Scorpion.

Wow... Lions are dicks

Bee Clan!
And who knows. It's more likely that the Crab or the Crane fucked them, but I don't think it would have been the Scorpion that fucked them. The Scorpion actually liked them because they could blatantly be used to attack other clans without actually pissing off either the Bee or the attacked clan.

If we're just talking canon, I love me some Dragonfly. But I think most of the ones in Imperial Archive are way better than the canon ones.

Only because they were never expanded on and subsequently ruined by AEG. Imagine a world where the Sparrow are a mysterious minor clan without a shitty bushi school and all we know about them is they guard the most sacred of sacred sites in the empire, that they live in relative harmony with their peasants, and their founder was an ex-crane who was fed up with the hypocrisy of the ruling class. Sounds sweet, right? But as it turns out, it's not sweet.

Hadn't really thought about it like that, but it's totally true. Probably one of the major reason I prefer the Minor Clans to the Great Clans, as there's alot less shit written about them.

Probably also why the only Great Clan I actually like is Crane, as they have been largely ignored in the lore compared to the other Great Clans.

Can't you just rework / remove the parts of the lore you don't like though

You could go at this king Solomon style and contract her to you and then use her in any future jobs

>Crane
>Largely Ignored

Bull fucking shit. Hoturi was one of the main movers of the Clan War arc. His brother Kuwanan got his dick wanked constantly during the Hidden Emperor arc. Doji "Reeeeeee" Shizue also was wanked over constantly during the Hidden Emperor. Then Chicken Kurohito and Doji Yasuyo were heavily focused on during Gold, Diamond and Lotus.

If any clan gets ignored it is almost always the Unicorn, though they got a huge arc with Chagatai.

Gonna have to say Monkey, just because it's refreshing how innocently enthusiastic about their duties they are. Some would even say they're -too-enthusiastic. I was reading Secrets of the Empire when I dawn the little blurb about how most clans don't actually send courtiers to the Monkey clan's courts, they send bushi. The reason for this is twofold; One, the Monkey don't have a lot to entertain guests that isn't martially focused, and two, the Monkey are waaaaaay too enthusiastic about protecting guests, so they send bushi since bushi can be expected to some extent to protect themselves.

Apparently it's so bad that a Crane courtier who visited the Monkey courts was given multiple yojimbos by the Monkey, all of which were dedicated to their jobs and followed him everywhere. It was so suffocating that the Crane wondered whether they'd follow him back home after the season.

I might have forgotten the Unicorn when I wrote that. So yeah, guess you're right.

The non-Moto parts of the Unicorn are largely ignored, even when the Moto aren't in charge.

I could see a dimwitted and overly idealistic Monkey yojimbo following him just because his own lord never told him to stop, so the Crane have to write a letter asking for directions so Monkey-san can be relieved of duty and go home.

>Go to Monkey lands
>Followed everywhere by Monkey guards assigned to me
>Get something to eat
>Monkey guards keep eating the first bite to check for poison
>Walk through crowded street
>Monkey guards force everyone else to the left side while I walk on the right, boxed in by Monkey guards
>Get splinter opening door
>Monkey guards burn down entire building for "attacking" me and have a new one built in its place.
>Go home
>Monkey follow me halfway across the empire to make sure I get there safely
>Exhausted, go to sleep in bed with my wife
>Roll over, find Monkey guard in bed with full armor and weapons. Informed that wife was moved to another room for my own personal safety.

Never again.

Are you talking about that L5R quest from back in the day where players controlled a sparrow bushi?

Imperial Archive?

Yes you can. It is sage advice for most settings as long as the group talks it over and agrees beforehand.

I don't know if this is true or not but I love it.

That sounds more like something's dimwitted lion would do than a dimwitted monkey but it's still funny.

One of the later splats for 4e, lots of fluffy bits and little things that didn't really fit anywhere else, like what shugenja and courtiers actually do day-to-day and some ideas for how that can impact the game. Also has a pile of semi-canon minor clans (Although the Tanuki is actually canon)

Wasp Clan
I guess you can say that thanks to scorpion fuckery the clan was born.

Sparrow Clan. They don't have much, but you don't need the latest in fashion and blades to live a life of simple honor.

I don't know, do the Scorpion even need to fuck them over when a bad winter can do worse?

If anything, the Scorps use the Sparrow as their prodding stick, that's why Suzume Mukashino never fails to attend Winter Court.

Prodding stick?
What is that?

A stick used to poke things.

It's true. Pasted from Secrets of the Empire.

>As the seat of power for the clan, Toku Torid-e is home to a modest court. Ambassadors from the other Minor Clans are commonly seen here, and there is always at least one Scorpion in attendance as well. Other clans visit more rarely, but when they do they usually send a warrior rather than a courtier; not only do the Monkey offer few entertainments beyond martial ones, they also tend to be overly enthusiastic about the security of their guests. A visiting Crane diplomat, after being attended by multiple dedicated yojimbo each day of the winter, wondered aloud if they would all follow him home after the season.

I like the original Snake Clan before they were shugenja'd by the Imperial Phoenix Inquisition.

I would go with the Tortoise clan, just because I like to imagine what kind of dangers they face outside the empire.
Otherwise the Fox clan. Historians and experts in herbal medicine, and later shugenjas with spiritual influences. A shame they didn't return to the clan they originally belonged...

>A shame they didn't return to the clan they originally belonged...
It is truly a shame the Ki-Ren died out in the wastes. The Unicorn is a poor replacement.

>The scorpion adopted the Monkey. Nuff said.
I know the general opinion is that this is adorable as fuck and all, but I actually really dislike this. It's as if true honor and courage can only exist because trickery and deceit allow them to, and that's neat and all if you're running things through the Way of the Scorpion POV but the tagline of Rokugan is "where honor is stronger than steel" and you know, it kinda should be that too. The Monkey should not need a big bad oniichan Clan backing them up to shine.

>and you know, it kinda should be that too
Sometimes it even is. Most of the time, though, samurai are not functional paragons of honour. They're just people who believe in an idealised level of adherence to a code they can only aspire to.

But that brings us back to the Way of the Scorpion POV. It's like there's only one samurai clan in the whole of the Empire that can see things as they really are while everyone else tangles at various levels of self-delusion, and that's screwed.

>It's like there's only one samurai clan in the whole of the Empire that can see things as they really are
The only reason it sounds like that is because you have a preconceived perspective, and you're fitting what's being said to that, rather than fitting your perspective to what's being said.

Most samurai are keenly aware that they're not super honourable - just rank 4-7 honourable. They get by, when they fail to uphold their honour, on lack of witnesses or common misdirection - that samurai was clearly drunk (he's just a dick), no one saw your display of emotion (we so did), etc.

You're talking past me to something completely different. The Monkey should not need the Scorpion backing them up, because it undermines the whole principle of being the courageous anime hero clan. If the only reason they hold up is because the clan of deceit and cunning is clearing obstacles for them without their knowledge, well - they're not much of an anime hero in the first place. And again, this works if you assume the world works only as the Scorpion see it: honor is worthless vanity compared to true loyalty.

The Monkey deserve better than Scorpion condescension.

I really hope Shinjo doesn't show up to boot the Shinjo family out of rulership.

Actually I hope she and the other Kami don't show up at all.

1. The Monkey are not anime heroes.

2. The Monkey prosper because they have backing from greater powers in-setting - imperial lines, the celestial heavens, the list goes on. If they didn't have the good will of the Scorpion, they'd be as fucked as the Usagi were, but more so because their lands are within Scorpion territory.

A state in starting fights? Or feeling out new things?

Isn't Ki-rin just the rokugani word for unicorn?

Steel let's you kill people.
Honor let's you get people to kill themselves or for you.

Why are tea and sake cups so tiny in this setting?

Also what is the deal with turning/spining tea or sake before you consume it?

No. They left Rokugan the Ki-Rin, and came back the Unicorn.

Tortoise Clan

Aren't they really tiny in real life as well?

Where can I find more art of L5R's society in action? Quite understandably we get a lot of art of bushi, courtiers, and shugenjas as mages, but not so much art of shugenja as priests, the Brotherhood of Shinsei ministering to the heimin or just heimin doing their thing in general.

Also, are there any equivalent to Ikko Ikki or Uesugi sohei in Rokugan? I know that some of the Brotherhood become sohei as a means to attaining enlightenment, but are there any that participate in armed conflict?

>Isn't Ki-rin just the rokugani word for unicorn?
No. There are no unicorns in rokugan or Japan. A Ki-Rin is a flying horse-like creature that signals good fortune. When localizing things westerners just called them unicorns for no real fucking reason. There's a ton of reasons why it's dumb and I resent AEG for it.

That is close, but damn they not that small. That's like a shot glass of tea. You'd be refilling it practically every sip.
As for turning/spinning tea, if you mean stirring, that's due to sediment, particularly for matcha (powder tea). If you mean physically turning the cup, I think it's a combination of the thin-ass cups full of near-boiling water and weird habits that become custom in a very isolated and conservative culture.

To be fair, the original sources barely agree on what a Ki-Rin looks like and what would be its most closely related mundane animal counterpart.

That does raise the question of whether "Pegasus Clan" would have been better or worse.

Worse. I can impale people with the horn on my horse's armor.

l5r.wikia.com/wiki/Ki-Rin_Clan

The Unicorns they're named after are actually in the burning sands.
A ki-rin and a unicorn are two different things in-setting.

>The Unicorns they're named after are actually in the burning sands.
The story of how the Kirin became the unicorn is a post-hoc story Wick spun up to explain why he totally isn't retarded, he promises. They were introduced as the Unicorn Clan because the western localization of Kirin was Unicorn at the time and when people fucking corrected him by pointing out how Unicorns are basically only tangentially related to Kirin, he spun this whole bullshit in the extended universe.

Sure, lots of things in the setting are that way. It's still the actual canon. I'd rather accept the less-retarded justification than stick to keeping the actual mistake as canon.

Why not just retcon them back to the Kirin? The only thing that changes is My Little Pony fans no longer have something to cling to.

Less retcons is better than more retcons, and changing the name ties together their foreign influences pretty well.

The only reason the Unicorn clan exists is to appeal to the MLP crowd.

I dunno if you're being facetious or just don't know, but L5R predates modern MLP by a wide margin. At the time the Unicorn were made as a clan, MLP was just an old 80s property that only little girls cared about.

When I say it exists to appeal to the MLP crowd, I'm being less specific than "modern MLP", which I know about as well as "modern phrenology". (and give about as much of a shit)

Simply put, anecdotal L5R history would say that they were thrown in to appeal to women - and that it almost didn't happen.

>Simply put, anecdotal L5R history would say that they were thrown in to appeal to women - and that it almost didn't happen.

And what would that anecdotal evidence be?

Who said anything about evidence? If you don't believe it was told anecdotally at some point where I was able to note and remember it, feck off.

I dunno why you think a bunch of dirty carnivorous mongol types would appeal to women specifically. The Moto have always been focused on, even when they were nearly wiped out and didn't run jack shit.

Do spell effects that confer a 'plus your x Ring' bonus stack? For instance if you had two Air spells rolling on one character that had that bonus, and the target had an Air Ring of 3, would they get 3 or 6? Playing 4e, if that matters.

Probably something to do with the whole "Moto weren't the front of the clan" thing until the Kolat-riddled Shinjo were taken down a peg.

Incidentally, Oracle says the only Moto cards of Imperial / Clan Wars legality were Moto Tsume, Moto Tsume xp, and Moto Sada. All shadowlands, all unaligned.

As far as I'm aware spells stack fully. I can't find anything saying they don't stack.

I don't recall if the Scorpion ever fucked with the Badger or the Boar.

Stop shilling your weeaboo shit.

No one fucks with the Badger. No one that isn't due for a suplex that is.

adopted the monkey? what? i was not aware of that. someone explain?

bee clan? where does this one come from? is it fan made? man i need to catch up to the lore.

Classic /l5rg/ exaggeration, far as I can see.

a ki rin is a kind of reptile horse of good fortune.
the clan changed its name while away from rokugan and encountered the myth of the unicorn

pottery

Imperial Archives

wait, i member. those where the really dickish art critics, right? i was sure they where optional, non canon exemple of a minor clan.

They're "canon", so far as they existed in the AEG setting at some time, but they "died out".

So did they got tired of explaining the differnce between unicorns and ki rins to non-rokugani people and just went "You know what? We're the unicorn clan now, whatever"

No, Shinjo got diddled so hard by a Unicorn that they renamed the entire clan after it.

i wish this were a lie

Damn, I thought the whole "horse fucker" thing was just banter.

na, shinjo didnt do it.
otaku however.......

It is. She fucked a kirin.

Didn't Shinjo break her oath that she swore to her disciples not once but twice?

Crab, Boar, Badger best bros.

Moar like Roll for Perfect Land Sect

Good morning Unicorn Clan!!!

Crab, if you don't mind how depressed they are on average from wall duty.

Badger, if you aren't considered an outsider, because they're Crab before the wall.

Boar ... eh. Most of the time they're "destroyed", or some guy is the current "last Boar samurai evar".

Tortoise.... because you can out Scorpion the Scorpion

Happy birthday Veeky Forums.

Bitchen' outfit and mask there.

Did you roll another Hare character after that?

>When localizing things westerners just called them unicorns for no real fucking reason.
Not "no fucking reason", the concept behind both are fairly similar. Ki-Rin are pure creatures which, supposedly, would only appear when the world was at peace. Unicorns are pure creatures which, supposedly, would only let themselves be approached by a maiden (similarly considered pure by European countries). They're not the same thing, but you can see the similarities.

Did so in another campaign. Was about trying to defuse a war between the Crab and Crane Clan. We sadly got some real scheduling problem and put it to rest after only 2 sessions, was really fun while it lasted though.

>I have nothing to back me up on this but fuck you if you don't believe in the evidence I won't present
How is your girlfriend in Canada doing, user

1E and City of Lies in particular have lots of art of just regular non-samurai people doing things. City of Lies is still the source to go to if you give a shit about commoners in general.

As fo the Ikko Ikki, nuL5R is including the Perfect Land Sect, an offshoot of Shinseism that is pretty similar to Ikko-shu in RL Japan and is gearing up to be a threat to the established order as well.

Fooled you, all the real fake girlfriends are foreign exchange students who went home after a tawdry affair