Warhammer 40,000 general(/wh40kg/ /40kg/)

faggots mad guard are finally good for once edition

>Astra Mili-Tapping man [YouTube] 8th edition Codex Astra Militarum; review (embed)

>Daily Duncan Playlist
[YouTube] WHTV Tip of the Day - Citadel Creeping Vines and Barbed Braken. (embed)

>GW FAQ (1.1):
games-workshop.com/en-US/Rules-Errata

>FW FAQ (1.1):
warhammer-community.com/2017/07/15/new-and-updated-forge-world-faqs-july16gw-homepage-post-2/

>Rules and such. Use Readium on pc/iphone, lithium/kobo on android:
>Everything 8th edition in properly converted pdf & epub, fully bookmarked and linked with in-line errata annotations
mega.nz/#F!bF0ExS4D!_XaMECn0K9HiJKUFSopJLA

>Other Megas
mega.nz/#F!64wmnBZR!rWcm37EkOOeToeueqhPjpA
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
>Old Black Library Mega
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q

>WIP Math-hammer doc (Thanks Chart-user!)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h0hk_IdJ7fivDEjMiIpKM5yMMB8HTm64lZHuKdLZCIU/edit?usp=sharing

>Adeptus Mechanicus codex (thank you Vladimir)
>PDF
mega.nz/#!Mh13ASBa!vh4vUs-iw9lvubVEooF3PTYBm5G_PI66Ve6-dENNsQk
>Epub
mega.nz/#!Qwd3zSSB!A6wf-ubMX0r9yGtRkFZjO20hdxH5LqzGkiC-Y69bQMs

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_8-bVavjVBs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How many ablative marines should I bring in my devastator squads?

first for armageddon

armageddon outta here

>How many ablative marines should I bring in my devastator squads?

Zero.

What the fuck is this?

reposting, how does this list look? I'm playing vs chaos later today.

I did up a picture of most of the stuff Thing was able to talk about in the Guard preview. Plus the following:

Point cost reductions

Baneblade, Shadowsword, Hellhammer: 40
Valkaries: 20
Hydras: 10
Leman Russ: 10
Hot shot volley guns: 3
Melta Cannon: 15 points
Plasma Gun: Costs 13 points on Vets, 7 points on guys hitting on 4+

Emergency plasma vents: Get a mortal wound per 1 rolled. Nothing about not firing for the rest of the battle
Earthshaker Cannon: Ap-3 instead of Ap-2 now
Valkaries in hover mode don't suffer -1 to hit on Heavy weapons
Steel Behemoth for Superheavies: Can move and fire heavy weapons without penalty
Superheavies: All their big guns have gone up by D6 shots (exception: Stormlord (unchanged) Shadowsword (3D3))
Punisher: Still Heavy 20, no mention of points increase

Troops get Objective Secured

>Steel Behemoth for Superheavies: Can move and fire heavy weapons without penalty

I have been converting GIs and fears since May. Which regimental rules should I use for a regiment that mixes human and squats and have squat engineered tanks and weapons?

Is anyone able to rate the effectiveness of the list I'm planning to use when the codex drops? Also, what tactics should I use for my Infantry and Tanks respectively?

Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [36 PL, 645pts]
-----HQ
----------Company Commander [3 PL, 35pts]
---------------Boltgun, Power Sword
-----Troops
----------Conscripts [4 PL, 90pts]
---------------30x Conscript

Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [12 PL, 177pts]
-----HQ
----------Lord Commissar [4 PL, 59pts]
---------------Plasma Pistol, Power sword

Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [58 PL, 1173pts]
-----HQ
----------Tank Commander (Demolisher) [13 PL, 243pts]
---------------Demolisher Siege Cannon, Lascannon, Heavy Bolters
-----Heavy Support
----------Leman Russ Demolisher [12 PL, 198pts]
----------Leman Russ Demolisher [12 PL, 198pts]
----------Leman Russ Punisher [12 PL, 178pts]
---------------Punisher Gatling Cannon, Lascannon, Heavy Bolters

>Hydras: 10
>Leman Russ: 10
Fuck
>Plasma Gun: Costs 13 points on Vets, 7 points on guys hitting on 4+
>Earthshaker Cannon: Ap-3 instead of Ap-2 now
Fuck
>Valkaries in hover mode don't suffer -1 to hit on Heavy weapons
Fuck
>Steel Behemoth for Superheavies: Can move and fire heavy weapons without penalty
>Superheavies: All their big guns have gone up by D6 shots (exception: Stormlord (unchanged) Shadowsword (3D3))
>Baneblade, Shadowsword, Hellhammer: 40
mfw
>Troops get Objective Secured
Fucking LOL

Why do Steel Legion rules seems to mediocre compared to what other regiments have? Am i missing something?

youtube.com/watch?v=_8-bVavjVBs
Codex reviews in.
They buffed EVERYTHING except conscripts.
Super heavies are cheaper and ignore movement penalties.
Gunships ignore movement penalties.
Scions get four shots in rapid fire range and are cheaper.
Earth shaker cannons are now ap-3 and are cheaper.

Guard confirmed for new eldar.

What's the cheapest place to buy 40K figs online?

2 + the sergeant

Aside from China probably The Warstore, 20% off of retail and are very quick to ship. They cannot provide a physical catalog on their website however so you have to email them for it or place an order over the phone describing what you need. Their customer service is actually amazing so phone orders are best.

Didn't scions always get that with an order ? And didn't plasma gun prices go up as well, won't that slow down the plasma stormtrooper spam a little ?

>GIs and fears
and dwarfs

I don't understand the disappointment. You can hop in and and of transports faster, RF at 18" so you're safer when you do it (if assault is a threat) or, if footslogging, you start getting shooty even faster.

Because next year GW is going to come out with Warzone: Armageddon, which will have better rules for Steel Legion and cost more than the Codex

>least elite army getting objective secured

Whats even the point of it now?

It's to convince you to use Troops.

Lets be real folks, tanks were trash, and now they are usable. I'm glad GW buffed them.

t. TSon player.

Also

>Old Baneblade after moving: 2.31 hits average
>New Baneblade after moving: 5.25 hits average
>98% increase in efficiency

wew

What are Blood Angel players rolling these days? Holding off on any major purchases until a Codex comes out.

It seems to me that the armageddon strategem should be a regimental doctrine instead.

They're definitely not using Primarchs

isn't every Troop getting obsec with the chapter approved book?

Not yet anyway
Blood Angels are in an odd spot. They're just red Spess Mehreens without objective secured and without stratagems and relics, until you field Death Company. That's currently the only unique thing about them. And Death Company are utterly shit right now.

But Dwarves don't exist in 40k?

Shouldn't it be counting number of units, and not number of models then? Just feels wrong now.

Well now im just confused

Is the cadian doctrine really that bad? Getting ahold of the models for the other regiments is really hard and I mostly have cadians.

>No Horsies
Time to riot.

The detachments are wrong, change the supreme command to a battalion with 3 conscript units from the first one for +2 CP

Plasma on characters is terribad, as are power swords on S3 give them a bolter and power axes or power mauls.

Lascannon sponsons on non-commander tanks are a waste of point, go with HB to stay cheap.

Finally, you really want something more than 24" range on main tank guns, especially with the new grinding advance.

Got the points page?

>guys we're definitely never again going to have one-sided armies that dominate the edition like Taudar and Riptides!
>*makes 8th ed Guard Codex*

Just paint the Cadians as #YourDudes and run them with whatever tactics you want.

>no assassins
aw...

I think that there is still remans of them in the imperium, they don't exists as mayor race.

Anyway I don't care... I'm just looking for a regimental ruleset that have something to do with a mixed human and abhuman (squats) platoons.

>Lascannon sponsons on non-commander tanks are a waste of point, go with HB to stay cheap.
Wait, Guard can take Lascannon sponsons now?

Why would assassins be there?

But the setting never had Dwarves in the first place.

why wouldn't they?

My bad, i meant hull

Which forge doctrine should Voss Prime use?

it isn't too bad to add a few but if you're going to run multiple teams with different weapons i.e. 1 HB team and 1 LC team consider running them as 2HB/2LC each as it forces them to kill 2 separate teams to remove the weapons they find problematic

Use the index m8, they exist for a reason

Someone should post that endless scatter lasers comic strip because right now i feel like just running my tank company that I bought 8 years ago.

Right now what I am faced with is two teams of LC/LC/ML/PlasCannon

i have the ML in case I need flakk

Is there a source for cadia stands or eye of night floating about?

See, for this schtick to still be funny you really have to commit to it and you just aren't.

No one gives a shit about the craft these days. :(

Squats, dwarves... It's just a fucking name, autist.

Sisters on offence with Cadians for rearguard/heavy armour y/n?

>Squats
WTF is a Squat?

What you do after you eat your oats.

>make new Space Marines that are supposed to be betterer than ever
>they're average
>meme the fuck out of an entire traitor legion, giving them a huge bunch of new models, and even a new Primarch
>everything in the codex, especially the fucking Primarch, is middling at best and clunky at worst because of retarded points pricing and forced "syngergy"
>instead just make everything in Guard powerful as fuck because rerolls rerolls rerolls
lmfao what the fuck are GW even doing

>Mfw I see the new Guard rules.

I play against guard all the fucking time now, since last edition. I finally won a game against a guard player last week. It was miracle that I hadn't been tabled by the end of turn 5.

As a Necron player. These fucks were almost impossible to beat, and now they make them stronger...

Necrons have no point effective units for taking out hordes. Closest thing is Immortals. Necrons have no point effective units for taking out tanks. Closest thing is Heavy Destroyers. Guard have the most under-costed units in the game to exploit these weaknesses.

Thanks GW. The coming months will be a blast while I wait for the Necron Codex!

It's ok. I'm sure Chaos will win something in the fluff

Young people...

Ok i'll take the bait.

Tell me about it. I've taken my Orks against the resident Guard player 3 times. Each time it's been a bloodbath. He's utterly slaughtered me. Today I finally took an infantry based list instead: 120 Boyz, 10 Nobz with Big Choppas, 2 Battlewagons, a Weirdboy and 15 Tankbusters to crack open his Leman Russ/Stormlord list. I managed to get the Stormlord down to 2 wounds remaining, killed one Russ and heavily damaged another. I was left with not a single model remaining on the table bottom of Turn 4.

Now his 7 Russes all get double shots. Including his 3 Punishers. And his Stormlord can move and shoot without penalty. I just don't know what to do. I could bring 180 Boyz (which I do have) and I still don't think it would work.

Reposting this list for you, best necron list you can make as of right now sadly

Outrider Detachment (Necrons: Shadynasty 2k)
HQ_
Catacomb Command Barge
Gauss Cannon, Warscythe
Elites_
C'tan Shard of the Nightbringer
Power of the C'tan: Seismic Assault
Fast Attack_
3x Canoptek Acanthrite, Voidblades
3x Canoptek Acanthrite, Voidblades
4x Canoptek Wraith, Particle Caster
Heavy Support_
Canoptek Spyder, Canoptek Spyder,
Gloom Prisms

Outrider Detachment (Necrons: Shadynasty)
HQ_
Catacomb Command Barge
Gauss Cannon, Warscythe
Fast Attack_
9x Canoptek Scarab Swarm
9x Canoptek Scarab Swarm
9x Canoptek Scarab Swarm
7x Canoptek Scarab Swarm

Havent played in years but jesus christ this makes me sad.
Necrons used to be about fielding a shit load of infantry

That list is so sad, and unfun... I can't run it anyway, due to an agreement to not use Forgeworld. I intend to not break that agreement, otherwise I will get stomped even harder.

Alright, I changed up the list a bit, how does this look?

Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [36 PL, 414pts]
-----HQ
----------Company Commander [3 PL, 36pts]
---------------Boltgun, Power Axe
-----Troops
----------Conscripts [4 PL, 75pts]
---------------25x Conscript
----------Conscripts [3 PL, 60pts]
---------------20x Conscript
-----Elites
----------Commissar [2 PL, 36pts]'

Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [36 PL, 414pts]
-----HQ
----------Company Commander [3 PL, 36pts]
-----Troops
-----Elites

Continued

So what do you do vs Guard now?

If you hang back and try to play objectives, they shoot you to death. If you assault them they fall back and then use orders to shoot you to death anyway. If you decide to outshoot them then you're probably fielding a Guard army yourself.

Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [58 PL, 1170pts]
-----HQ
-----Heavy Support
----------Leman Russ Exterminator [11 PL, 171pts]
---------------Exterminator Autocannon, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolters

Waltz an op Deathstar Mary Sue and just start kicking over tanks

>Necrons used to be about fielding a shit load of infantry

Necrons are in a bad way. It came from bad play-testers working with GW when making 8th. Hopefully they have learned there lesson for the Codex.

You die. The Guard deserved a buff.

>You die. The Guard deserved a buff.

Yay! This is both fair and reasonable.

Swap them and the second spyder for doomsday arks then which honestly aren't even reliable. Fill in points with some more wraiths or scarab.
Yep, necron are by far the worst army right now. Everything is mediocre aside from wraiths, scarabs, acanthrites and nightbringer.

>in the edition where GW outright said nothing should be OP, Guard deserve to be OP

It is. None of the Guard units are OP at the moment, they're just average. Learn to play properly and you will beat them.

See above. Guard aren't OP, they're average and the game is just full of idiots who can't learn to beat us.

>i-it's not OP ur just dumb!!
Let me guess you played Scatter Bikes last edition

So original.

Here, have a (you)

Really can't wait to play fun and fluffy games with my new Astra Millitarum Codex!

Wait for nids codex.

new player here, I played for the second time yesterday and I've got some questions id like to ask you guys:

>I understand that I can shoot at enemies even if a friendly is in my line of vision, but can the same be applied if a friendly tank is in my line of vision? It was a friendly Annihilation Barge, don't know if the grav-stuff has anything to do.

>Im hiding behind cover, and two minis of a unit of 10 can see two guys of an unit of 10. Do I fire with all my 10 guys at their 10 guys, or only two versus two?

>Can I fire all my weapons of a vehicle in any direction I want? A Land Speeder and a Predator shot either not facing me or with guns that weren't able to look at me (im not sure if this was an house rule or I was getting bamboozled)

That's it for now. Thanks in advance.

I kinda want to get this mentality out that having multiple Leman Russ Squadrons is "OP". It's not. They're the IG's TEQ. It's fair if they can have one if you bring some termies or a land raider. If they bring multiple Spearhead Detachments, then yes that is pretty cheesy.
Also Bullgryns are shit. They're just expendable meatshields. Having a whole army oriented around them would be incredibly boring. If ogres named after cuckolds had the same love that Sisters of Battle then that would be fine.
A "fun" army to play against is something that tries to bring all the neat units into the battle in a combined arms fashion. Not just spamming any one single unit. A good Guard player would know that a Detachment of well supported Conscripts unit is a cheaper and arguably better source of anti infantry fire power than the other units.
I'm so tired of hearing non Guard players complain about "muh Leman Russ Squadrons or muh Conscript Hordes" They're there in the codex, they have a purpose, just like the FWs.source then any of the Leman Russ Squadrons. Just because you get butthurt at the cheesemongers doesn't mean that the other Guard players have to stop using a particular unit. Quit bitching.

Can I get some help with this list.

Im mostly just trying to get it as good as possible whilst keeping a decently large body of primaris models because I think they are sick.

I need to shave 50pts off as well somewhere

I just realized something,

Since Imperial Guard flyers are Aeronautica Imperialis you can't ever have regiment doctrines while including a flyer?
That's pretty shit..

There's no functional difference between infantry and vehicles. If you can see the enemies through the barge you can shoot them

Only the models who can see enemies can shoot, but the enemy is free to remove casualties from anywhere in the unit, not just the two that are exposed.

There is no restriction on weapon arcs any more. A vehicle is free to shoot any of its weapons from any point of its hull at any visible enemy.

Given what they just did to Guard I have zero faith in the playtesters.

Quite literally every person I've spoken to about the Leman Russ buff has said "Sounds pretty reasonable, except on the Punisher". And now the leaks come out and the Punisher didn't get a points increase. It's chassis even got a decrease. It just doubled its shooting for LESS points.

This is not some obscure rules interaction that might have escaped notice. This is blatently bloody obvious.

There is a disclaimer in the Guard Codex listing certain ranges of models that can be included and still receive Regiment traits, but those units won't receive it themselves

It's not about spamming the same units.

Guard are fucking impossible to play around. They have a counter to every possible counter. Like was said: you play objectives and they shoot you to death with cheap, powerful artillery. If you try to assault them you fucking die because they fall back and use an order to GBITF and FRFSRF the other squads that didn't get involved in combat. They can fucking surround their key units with blobs of cheap men that don't die because they have other cheap unassailable units that make morale a non-issue, despite morale issues being a theme of Guard. So what do you do against this? Guard literally have an answer for everything you can throw at them. This would be fine from a fluff perspective but they do it TOO well from both a fluff perspective and a game perspective.

Honestly, I get the feeling that if one was to get information on which Russ variant was selling the least pre-Codex, then it would be the Punisher, so GW "fixed" their sales by buffing it to the stratosphere.

Should also note that Ork and blob guard are the enemy armies I fight most often.

>Falling for the pasta

I don't spend enough time here to learn every pasta by heart, especially when it's quite a relatively recent pasta.

No, that's retarded. It was the best before, it was the best in 7th.

and d6 more shots on all varients except stormlord and shadowsword

shadowsword is now 3d3 instead of d6

stormlord is now heavy 20 instead of 15

Progress! I need to stop because I'm tired, but I'm getting there. Need highlights, shading, clean up, and some detail, but I'm really liking the look.

>shadowsowrd will always get 3 shots minimum
lol

i couldn't see the enemy, he was behind my Barge. I ended up not shooting the guy I wanted just so the game could move on.
Thanks a lot for clarifing my other doubts. I mean I had fun, but these 3 things had me wondering.

Onlaught Gatling or Heavy Flamer on a Redemptor Dreadnought?

Gatling. Who's going to charge you who's vulnerable to a flamer?

flamers are shit