Absurd player logic

Recently I encountered the most unbelievable nonsense I have ever heard from a player at the table. I have been stewing on this for more than a week and I still can't get my head around it. I'll try and articulate it as best I can and I am hoping someone can help me understand what on earth he is on about.

My character was standing at the top of a high castle wall and wanted to get down. The player in question waves off all notion of finding a rope or climbing checks or any of that and says he has a better idea. He readies an action to hit me with his sword and tells me to jump. I laugh thinking its a joke. He's serious.

He explains is like this:
The damage from falling will kill me but I would easily survive anything he can do with his shortsword.
If he hits me, quote, 'on the same frame' that I strike the ground only his attack damage should apply.
The reason for this is that the DM can only adjudicate one thing at a time and 'logically' only one hit on me can occur and the other can't be adjudicated because the moment has moved on and it is simply forgotten. Becasue falling is -instant- death then it must be calculated that instant or is must be ignored.
Furthermore, the DM MUST choose to apply his damage because it is unethical or poor DMing to deprive a player character of his rightful actions.
So if he hits me at the same time I hit the ground I only take 1d6.

He swore black and blue that this made complete sense and would be upheld by any reasonable gaming referee.

Yeah, that makes sense to me

He takes falling damage from impact with the sword. And the sword takes damage from having a heavy object land on it.

This seems like the kind of utterly absurd thing that might work as a glitch in a video game, so I'm going to guess that's the mindset he's bringing to the table.

>The reason for this is that the DM can only adjudicate one thing at a time

Sheesh, what a retard.

>'on the same frame'
fucking what, user
ask him what framerate the DM runs at

I'm going to go with "Shit that never happened" for 500 Alex.

Obviously, but is the truth of the event that important?

I appreciate uniqueness in bait.

>Not having your DM be custom build 4k 144hz with sli titans and hydro cooling system for maximum framerate.
Oh, and fancy lighting coming from within.

It's as sensical as the peasant railgun, lads.

He's thinking about the game in literal video game terms.
He's insane. Don't even bother, the fact he thinks it's reasonable in the first place means he won't be meaningfully convinced otherwise.

Apparently you're right. I don understand it, I have never seen anyone apply video game stuff to an RPG like that before.
I mean I've seen people talk about cut scenes and even dialogue trees but I've never seen anyone try to glitch the DM before.

Couldn't the GM just rule it so that the player in question gets massive bonuses to his damage roll because your character is basically falling on his sword at terminal velocity? And if he misses his attack roll you get splattered because of falling damage. All in all it's a super retarded situation though.

Simpler Ruling: In the case that two types of damage are dealt at the same time, and only one damage type can be applied, the higher damage type takes priority.

>not having boots of cat fall
Cheap and cool as fuck

What the fuck is a gaming referee?

Why didn't the DM correct him on his wrong idea of how the rules work?

Some games refer to GMs/DMs as referees to encourage them to be more neutral, rather than being for or against the players.

Simpler ruling: You fucking die on impact because that's retarded

>Some games

for toddlers?

I've always wondered what it was like to play with an autistic person

>Why didn't the DM correct him on his wrong idea of how the rules work?

An argument was clearly brewing so I just went back inside the castle and out the main gate instead, allowing us to get on with the game.

It did give me the idea of stabbing myself just as a dragon exhales to save me from a firey death, though.

As a DM I would rule it like so:
>you jump, make acrobatics check because fuck it why not give you some help to try and land, maybe you roll high and only break your legs
>player rolls to hit you with sword, I'll give him double damage because of the speed your falling if he hits
>you still take full falling damage because the sword wont break your fall
>you fall on the retard swinging the sword and deal "x" crushing damage and pinning him to the ground. You also take "x" damage from the fall
>if you both live, im sure you both have learnt your lesson. If you both die, thats what you get for being retarded

If he has a problem with this he can leave the table. This is not a video game, this is a story for the players to manipulate.

I don't really understand why he thought only one source of damage can be applied per "frame." The "frames" of a tabletop are turns: if two players attack the same target on the same turn, one of those doesn't get ignored, so clearly the "engine" (game system, rule book, whatever) can deal with multiple damage sources. Further, in that example, both attacks are applied, so in your case, you'd just take sword AND fall damage.

The only way that wouldn't happen is if he somehow kept you from hitting the ground with the sword, meaning he's super strong and you die from getting impaled at terminal velocity like mentioned.

It's really not: one is exploiting in-game rules, one is trying to exploit rules that I'm pretty sure don't exist.

I guess that's a question for OP; are you playing some retarded system where you can only take one type of damage at once?

Blue? Or are you some sort of degenerate?

Cool story but there's no way this actually happened.

This is how I would handle it.
>Douche bag sets ready action to strike.
> this causes glyph of warding to cast a level 9 fireball at him.
>the level 9 fireball causes power word kill to be cast.

Problem solved smoke break for the table.

I'd be an asshole and rule that as a coup de grace. Then hand him a new sheet.

Now I'm imagining what a game would be like if it did have invincibility frames.

>The storm giant lobs a massive boulder at you...
>I real quick punch myself in the face just before it hits me!

Peasant railgun doesn't even work by RAW.

What's really weird is that it doesn't rely on mechanics. It relies on ethics.

it would however work for high speed transport of goods and messages.
underground SkeleNet was something I've been planning to do once I'm in a more high flying game.

Why not both. If I stab someone with two knifes they are only stabbed once is what your saying.

>The damage from falling will kill me but I would easily survive anything he can do with his shortsword.
True, but irrelevant
>If he hits me, quote, 'on the same frame' that I strike the ground only his attack damage should apply.
I think he means, 'in the same round'. You can be take damage twice in one round.
>The reason for this is that the DM can only adjudicate one thing at a time and 'logically'
can't be adjudicated because the moment has moved on and it is simply forgotten.
only one hit on me can occur and the other
The DM can adjudicate multiple things at the same time.
>Becasue falling is -instant- death then it must be calculated that instant or is must be ignored.
Falling is not insta-death
>Furthermore, the DM MUST choose to apply his damage because it is unethical or poor DMing to deprive a player character of his rightful actions.
It usually is better to roll for damage, but it isn't always better to roll for damage.
>So if he hits me at the same time I hit the ground I only take 1d6.
Run-Time Error

>On the same frame

>The "frames" of a tabletop are turns:
Throughout most iterations of D&D they were called 'rounds', not turns. 'Turns' were sometimes referred to a 10 minute intervals.

Turns are for individual characters. A round is all the turns within one initiative phase.

well then you have an overloaded method

look up java syntax

I think our spellchecker just achieved sentience.

I played with a party of newbies recently, every player was respectable, listened to dm, dm also listened to some corrections if he fucked up lorewise, etc. Is it that rare thing? Cus according to this board the world of tabletop games is filled with retardness and magic realms

>Is it that rare thing?
yeah, but its pretty awesome when it happens.

You should calmly point out that RPGs are not fucking speed runs and the DM can easily roll for multiple points of damage at the same instant because RPGs generally attempt to be realistic. And realistically I cannot survive a fall from 300 feet by just stabbing myself with a needle just as I hit the ground.

is this somekind of stupid meme

What's the issue? Naturally that's the case.

Tell him to jump out of a window and that you'll catch him with a dagger. See if he'll agree to it as it makes so much sense.

Peasant Railgun has always infuriated me

Your buddy is a fucktard, or a really bad cheat

Sounds like a munchkin trying to get the kill xp for your character to me!

And I thought that one of my players was full of shit. Just last night he had a lengthy argument with me (The GM) over whether he would be able to make a a dungeon that would automatically reset in order to farm XP indefinitely. We are playing B/X where gold=XP for that matter. He tried to justify it by saying that all dungeons are arbitrarily made, and that even if his character couldn't benefit from it because he designed it, the rest of the party and the hirelings should be able to as well. I knew I shouldn't have let him into the group as soon as he told me that his only previous experience with RPGs was Pathfinder.

Tell him he can pull it off, but only if he graually restores dungeon eco system by inhabiting it anew with captured or hired monsters. Watch him go on pokemon adventure to catch and train 'em all.

He actually did start doing that much to my own amusement. The end of the last session was him and a bunch of mercenaries dog piling and hog tying a giant scarab.

It makes sense really. One day weary adventurer just can't be arsed to go pillage yet another dungeon on some god-forsaken edge of the world, so he starts organizing his own in a walking distance from his castle. Live long enough to become a villain yourself and all that.

Toupé fallacy - We have lesser need to share details about our enjoyable games compared to terrible ones.