EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Jank Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: What's your favorite Jank, /edhg/?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mikaeus-extreme-sub-20-budget-edh/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/local-monk-happy-about-dragons-ojutaigam/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gishaths-dinosaur-party/
youtube.com/watch?v=uH0hikcwjIA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

is mathas good yet or is it still a 99 in queen marchesa?

He looks fun, but Marchesa despite my initial misgivings about her is probably stronger.

I think either way you are making a fun Mardu politics deck, so it is a personal preference. You're drawing cards either way most likely.

>Thread Question: What's your favorite Jank, /edhg/?

Unholy Symbol, shit is great in Marchesa, and you can use it as a janktacular version of Hatred too and put somebody in the ground

I want to fuck Teysa in her ghost hole

I keep getting laughed at due to my 2/15 win rate in our playgroup.

I want to make a new deck that is more functional against my friends, but I don't wanna spend a load.

I'm considering making a budget King of Jank desk or just getting the Izzet commander precon.

My opponents have:
Ur Dragon and Kaalia
Nekuzar, Inalla and Derivi
C17 Cats, Trostana and Uril

I have the Meren precon and some trash from HoU and Ixalan

>good yet
He won't become better over time, if that's what you're implying. Marchesa is better suited for pillowfort/passive control while Mathas is better for removal/active control.

20$ michaus

>2/15 is laughably bad
Average win rate for a 4 player group would be 3.75/15 which isn't that far off assuming people actually give a fuck about win rates which they shouldn't.
Tell the cat player that his decks make him a fag.

I don't mind losing, but about 6 of those games where I got hated off the board really quickly I wasn't able to play anything.
What I don't like is not being able to play my deck because everyone overvalues the threat my Meren deck has, since they've got about £50 minimum extra in all of their decks and about £300 extra in some cases
She only plays GW mostly, even in drafts. I find the Ur Dragon deck the least fun to play against though, since I don't have much mass creature removal or any good ways to deal with fliers.
I've got an Unesh and thought a Sphinx deck might be neat but after pricing it I can't really afford to build a flavour deck when my friends are pretty competitive

sometime when they're playing the Inalla/Derevi my friend will save me purposefully and I'll help him out by devestaing someone's boardstate

Do you have a list or a link to one?

What should be my wincons in a strict Sphinx Tribal Unesh deck?

By strict I mean no non-sphinx creatures.

>tfw you pull the trigger on a Tazri ally deck and only costs 30$ because you already have the manabase

>3 people hate one people off the table
>haha why are you losing so much you big wuss
Sounds like your group needs to learn some proper threat assessment. Meren the creature is remove on sight but the Meren player doesn't have to be killed ASAP.

>C17 Cats, Trostana and Uril
Sounds like a girl
>She only plays GW mostly

>By strict I mean no non-sphinx creatures.
What's wrong, user? I can be your sphinx tonight...

Arcane Adaption so all creatures can be played of course.

The reasoning is that if they kill me then Meren isn't a threat and doesn't soak their kill spells.

I get that they're playing to win but there's barely any board politics from the Ur Dragon and GW player.

>giving your opponents card draw in a reactive control deck

How about no

No one said he would be good, it's multiplayer shenanigans after all.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mikaeus-extreme-sub-20-budget-edh/

Put together a first draft for my probably-soon-to-be Taigam deck.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/local-monk-happy-about-dragons-ojutaigam/

Input is welcomed, it's fun to play already but I think it definitely still needs work.

Meren is a swell commander, build upon it.

There are plenty of stuff you can upgrade Meren with. Enough to make her a top tier pretty quickly.

And who do you mean by king of jank?

Fucking assholes. I guess I can understand hating Meren, since she is really good, but that generally means dont let Meren stay on the field or use fucking graveyard hate on your big stuff.

Got a deck list of your own deck?
Depending on how you built Meren, you might be able to just switch a handful of cards around and play the deck with Mazirek, Zavra or Jarad on the helm, maybe even Reyhan/Ikra Shidiqi, without losing much power from your 99.

Fact or Fiction? It's much better than Plea for Power imo, it's outright impossible that people will give you free turns with Plea for Power
Also Expropriate is too good to pass, that's 2-4 turns depending on the boardstate.

>King of Jank

Fact or Fiction might be worth giving a try. The problem I see with it over Plea for Power is that I'd much rather "only" draw 3/6 cards with Plea over 2 turns at worst than potentially lose one of my key cards due to Fact or Fiction.

Expropriate does seem like one hell of a card to include. Shame it can't be rebound.

So how do I force people to search libraries?

Be a good friend and give them fetch on death creatures.

Be wary of surprise emrakuls though.

>potentially lose one of my key cards due to Fact or Fiction.
I mean sure some of those cards get dumped but you choose wich and you should run a fair amount of recursion to chain turns, try to put in Mnemonic Wall, Archaeomancer and Not Forgotten.

>Expropriate does seem like one hell of a card to include. Shame it can't be rebound.
Still worth it though

I don't know why you included Approach but it doesn't work with rebound.

Maralen of the Mornsong.

Newish to the game and especially new to blue, if I'm drawing a lot of cards, what's a safe number of "no maximum hand size" cards to make sure I don't have to discard when there's 20 something cards in my hand?

>may

im sure most people would go for it, but ideally you want ones that dont allow a choice.

3-4ish, if your drawing 20 cards its pretty likely you will find one to slam down

A couple, usually you shouldn't be too afraid to discard because of too many cards, you get to keep the best 7 and that's fine.

A lot of those cards are noob traps, it's usually not that terrible to draw a lot and then discard down to the most relevant cards. Depends on your sources of draw and game plan.

>having unhinged lands
>using foils
>using Ultra Pro Eclipse sleeves
>buying precon EDH decks
>not having at least one Elder Dragon deck
>not being able to afford dual lands
>playing MTG while not having a job
>has never won a FNM or EDH night

How do these people live with themselves

honestly just go with reliquary tower and library of leng

thats all youll ever need for that effect, Tamiyo too if you like waifus

>an opponent controls
Fucking nu-magic

>not having unhinged lands
>not playing mtg during the best times in life (unless youre a hobo)

everything else I can agree with except when a promo has great art then itll usually come in foil like the nicol bolas

Good to know, thanks.

What about thought vessel? I'm going to run flicker, so artifact ramp would be good, no?

Anyone played Dinos yet? I have a Trostani I never play anymore, and I pulled Carnage Tyrant and a bunch of the other good new dinos already?

Waiting for 7 more dinos I ordered, will play it next thursday for the first time.

Got a list?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gishaths-dinosaur-party/

The weaker dinosaurs will hopefully replaced with Rivals, the Regal Behemoth is in there because its good and with Rivals will be hopefully errattat as a dino, too.

the only ramp most decks should run would be sol ring, mana crypt, grim monolith, exp map, temple of the false gold, signets, chromatic lantern, talismans, and then a few other things specific colors can use

honestly any ramp at 3 mana cost or higher outside of green is garbage and thot vessles 2 mana for colorless not only isnt a very good rock but its side effect is pretty shit as well

library of leng gives a useful extra effect that fucks with black decks and wheel effects, and reliquary tower is free
if youre running flickers there will always be something better to flicker and if their isnt your deck is shit

Alright then.

Oh, and fossil find is terrible, but the flavor is neat. :)

From what I've seen so far, Gishath is kinda bad. Not enough tribal options to support him. You'll stick him and maybe get a couple of big dinos. Rarely ever see him even manage to get cast, usually the player just gets btfo by a wipe before they can hit the 8 mana to even attempt to cast him.

AKA it's nothing that multiple other naya generals don't already do better, maybe hope for more dino support in the future. Until then, it's kind of stuck in the same weird limbo that Depala is.

I kinda have hopes for Dinos as a creature type, because Wizards showed us in this set with the new vehicles, that they care about archetypes from older and newer sets.

this might work better if it had haste and the effect triggered at the beginning of your end step, as it stands you just pay 4 for probably your opponents win condition or a blocker that will kill it anyway

> >having unhinged lands
> >using foils

What's wrong with foils and unhinged lands?
The rest I can see :^)

>Playing e-reader desk
>Not playing gilded drake

Really, I can't imagine why.

Or Backlash for that matter.

Man, I would always bounce the drake back. If was using red, I suppose you could just bolt it too. Either way, that's a shenanigans card if your opponent isn't playing Mindlock or control cards (i.e., not playing monoblue).

I disagree with this guy, thought vessel is better than library of leng. Ramping for 2 mana is excellent, you can play it turn 1 of Sol Ring or Crypt too. Library of leng is cool if you have tons of wheels in your deck but otherwise it's meh

Turns out, sticking Doubling Season and 7 walker into your Reki deck isn't necessarily improving it.

My deck has a lot of effects that care about creatures and Planeswalkers proved to be surprisingly fragile. I need to cut about half of them and stick in some more dudes.

>a card thats strictly worse than cards he named but "can be played turn 1 with these better cards" is better than a card that counters two popular effects in two popular colors

mkay, guess what library of leng can be played turn one too, but with a simple fucking land youre bound to have in that opening hand as well

Anyon in the mood for a sporting round on Cockatrice?
I just finished up a General Tazri and want to see how bad it is

Library of leng doesn't ramp you, and the other effect doesn't help that much

Ramping is relevant more often than max hand size is relevant, so I think it's superior to have a card that ramps you but can also occasionally give you that extra value for hand size, as opposed to a card that is gonna be dead a lot

I'd probably only play:
>Freyalise
>Garruk Wildspeaker
>Garruk, Primal Hunter
>Nissa, Vital Force

id rather have a fucking land in thot vessles place than it, or a better 2 mana ramp artifact that actually gives colored mana

library of leng in a card draw deck that wants to keep everything in its hand is stronger than a colorless ramp artifact

there are BETTER ramp artifacts there arent better no hand size/anti-discard cards
in a GOOD deck there is no room for thot vessel since its out classed by MANY other ramp artifacts and in that same deck there would be a slot for library of leng IF they wanted the max hand size effect, if they didnt they wouldnt have either of those

if you want max hand size, library and reliquary tower are the best options since everything else is a noobtrap, just like thot vessel, the only reason to use it is if you dont have the fucking money for better cards

If you are less than 3 colors, thought vessel is better than most mana rocks. You don't need rainbow rocks in mono or 2 color decks.

When you don't need the no max hand size, Thought Vessel is a 2 mana rock.
When you don't need the no max hand size, Library of Leng is nothing but a hoser against Waste Not effects and card selection against wheels/discard effects.
I'd say the former is relevant in a lot more cases.

Especially in enemy colors like Izzet, where you don't even have a Talisman to use.

This card is surprisingly useful. Also the art is fucking sick.

You would probably be much more persuasive if you could actually manage to spell the card's name correctly.

He's spelling it Thot on purpose because it's a popular maymay.

Possessed Portal and lab man should be your primary win cons and/ or tramatize fraying sanity combo otherwise your just to slow and this is from a fellow unesh player.

>Thot
That
Ho
Over
There

It is intended as an insult.
Get more black friends

You guys are bitter.

>your just to slow

*You're

I take it if a creature goes negative toughness, even for a turn, they die?

Yes

yes (even indestructible ones)

704.5f If a creature has toughness 0 or less, it’s put into its owner’s graveyard. Regeneration can’t replace this event.

At this point, I'm thinking Ugin, Freyalise and Vital Force.

I thought Primal would be good, but 5 mana sorcery draw 4-7 is proving to be just eh (my grip is plenty full and the Beast doesn't matter enough). Wildspeaker probably works wonders with Gaea's Cradle or Nykthos, but I think I'm already winning at that point and being a weird conditional ramp card seems eh otherwise.

Ugin isn't very good in a green deck, exiles all your shit. He's busted in a mostly colorless deck, or a deck with not too many nonland permanents in general, but not good in mono green. I think Karn would do you much better

Also Wildspeaker is excellent ramp with normal lands too, especially since in green you can play him turn 3 or even 2 pretty consistent

If I had 66 dollars lying around, I'd run both. But I don't. Ugin's just a wrath that cantrips. I run Oblivion Stone and Disk. I'm not as aggro explosive as some decks, so having a wrath that exiles is nice. Even if they get to keep their rocks.

I might reconsider him. Worldwaker seems kind of good too, since 4 forests is fucktons. I forgot she existed.

Why is this allowed?

Because it's sexy.

Help me /edhg/, I really like the concept of creature heavy synergy cards like Lurking Predators, Vizier of the Menagerie, Lifecrafter's Bestiary etc. but I also dislike feeling forced to run so many creatures that you can't fit enough non-creature stuff like ramp, card draw, removal and board wipes.
Should I give up on the idea of a creature deck or is it possible to go all out creatures the tappening and still have a deck that's interesting to play?

Because it's 30 dollars

Approach is in there as just another pretty safe win condition. Drawing into it the turn after casting isn't too far fetched.

holy shit this guy I was playing against was getting so pissed

>beat guy down with alesha
>he gives himself hexproof
>I play crackling doom
>20 min debate 3v1 about whether or not hexproof makes him immune to doom
>finally just says "that's bullshit" and scoops next turn

>tfw read proliferate wrong this entire time
I thought that you only picked one target to bump up one specific counter, not as many fucking targets as you want. What the fuck, so you can like bump ALL your walkers up, and infect counters, and +/- 1/1 counters? All off of One (1) proliferate trigger?

Card says "Crackling Doom deals 2 damage to each opponent. Each opponent sacrifices a creature with the greatest power among creatures he or she controls." It never actually specifies a 'Target' so Hexproof doesn't help. Now, if he had protection against sacrificing he would only take damage.

>so you can like bump ALL your walkers up, and infect counters, and +/- 1/1 counters? All off of One (1) proliferate trigger?
Yes.

we were telling him this for a full 20 mins and he kept saying shit like "but hexproof is hexproof"

I agree the name is kind of misleading but come on man

Yep, and Atraxa does it unconditionally for free every turn from turn 3-4 onwards

This card right here is my jank. I run it with wound reflection so if anyone pays half their life i can slam WR second main phase

>"but hexproof is hexproof"
youtube.com/watch?v=uH0hikcwjIA

>I saw with my own eyes a 17/17 blood artist
Edgar makov was a mistake

This is an unfortunate part of the format. There are a lot of cards that were more broken than prophet but prophet was cheap so you would see it all the time. Whereas someone going off with a cradle or metal worker was minimal. The ban list reflected what people bitched about not what was actually broken. Also cards Sheldon irrationally hates.

>17/17
I doubt that.

>emrakul

do people even play her legal version?

I do see it a fair amount, a little more often than the og kozi and ula just cuz it's newer, but less often that new ula and Kozi