>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SvaTtByYMKg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

When will we ever get a metamagic unearthed arcana?

Lobsterfolk when? We need more animal races

If that ever happens it's going to be a variant ruleset where wizards get access to it.

Meant for

So I know a lot of people like this brew but there are bound to be some problems with it, what are some issues you can spot? Things that are not clear or can be abusable/unbalanced with multiclassing, by itself, or things you don't think fit well with 5e and whats already in the game.

How could a beholder take control of a hobgoblin tribe? I plan on using them as the beholder's minions and himself as the BBEG.
On a related note:
How do I represent the danger they present based on their training, teamwork and coordination? Including Captains and using their leadership seems like a given. But beyond that? Since they have the same stats, taking the help action is strictly worse than two attacks. And with +1 STR and no athletics proficiency they'll struggle to shove prone even low level PCs.

Posting from last thread

>New player incoming
>He wants to play a middle aged Redemption Paladin who was forced to execute prisoners once and has decided to desert and never come back
>Say "okay sure"
>He comes along with no idea what CoS is about thematically, bright eyed to fight some rascal lyrics goblins
>"Your adventure begins as you stand high in the stocks, executioners Axe in your hand. A woman and her two deformed children are bound and kneeled before you and the Vallaki guard captain who waits for your action."
>"" In the horizon you see your house where your family, at your word is hiding. You didn't want your son Doru seeing this"
>The rest of the table realizes what this means
>"what do you wanna do?"
>he sees no options. This is the origin story that he wanted. He has no idea I would make him follow through on his edginess
>"I-I do it"
>Whom?
>"What do you mean?"
>Who do you strike first? The mother, or the children?
>This guy who normally just oozes Charisma and talkative out of every pore finally gets emotionally obliterated and quiet
>He makes his choice
>Gets his wife and kid into a wagon and runs
>The rest of his session is the following fifteen years of Father Donnavichs life in Barovia with the players getting the roles of assigned kids versions of NPCs like Ismarck, Ireena or brigando and monsters

>Did I do good?

I know reposting is self serving but I just feel like I need to talk about it to more people but I have no friends who DM

>How could a beholder take control of a hobgoblin tribe?
Float in and incinerate their old leader. They'll fall in line really quick.

one problem is you keep shilling it every thread

Environmental hazards.
Readied actions that give sneak attack like bonuses.
One setting up a table while another readies to slam the adventurers through it.

Stop shilling your homebrew every single thread.

Was he the only player at the table?
Also, what a dumbass, players should at least try to get along to the story

So you don't think there are any major glaring issues with the brew?

Like I said, no, but the other players realized what was happening, that tonight was going to be a prequel episode, and they were happy to put their character sheets to rest for a session, and instead got to play around with other things, like Doru, Ireena, Ismarck, and tsome of the monsters at Ravenloft when Mordenkeinens raid happens

Is this a bait or this dude actually thinks that the best way to get criticism of this homebrew is to spam every single thread?

We don't care because it's homebrew.

Look, 99% of Homebrew is shit, and 100% of Homebrewers think THEIRS is the 1% that isn't. I don't even bother with Homebrew anymore.

Yeah, I had that idea, too. It just seems so boring, obvious. Thanks anyways, I guess.

>Readied actions that give sneak attack like bonuses.
There is such a thing? Also I fear hitting the PCs will be the more difficult part, not dealing sufficent damage (martial advantage).
>One setting up a table while another readies to slam the adventurers through it.
As I said I fear the hobgoblins will have a hard time shoving the PCs around. Do you think it would be unfair to just give them proficiency in athletic?

Has anyone run Grudd Haug in SKT before?

Does it seem like a party of 5 at the appropriate level for this place should be able to simply steamroll it?

Hey man, not him but my players also shill this brew and I apreciate a man for being curious on whether or not he's allowing the next Lore Wizard

>There is such a thing
Not in the default rules, just an idea to show they're dangerous. If you're more concerned with hits, just make-up a talent that says when they're teaming up on someone they get a +2 bonus to hit. Possibly stacking.
>Unfair
Depends, if you abuse it to disable the PCs entirely, it can be a shit show, if you use it to make the fight more interesting by fucking with their positioning now and then why the fuck not?

1- I still don't know if you're bating me
2 - Stop same fagging, every thread is the same
3 - If you actually want good criticism, get out of Veeky Forums

Right off the bat, the Archive seems pretty flaccid. The level 1 feature gets you some proficiencies/expertise, which is neat. But...
>Going to the Archive
Aside from the Vile Heresies feature, going to the archive seems kind of pointless. There's some vaguely defined creature there that can seemingly kill anyone in a few rounds, and you can't do anything there except learn stuff that you can explicitly learn in the material world.
>Written In Blood
Again, this ability seems useless. You summon a creature, but you don't choose what it is and it's automatically hostile to everything. And that's it.
>Vile Heresies
Aside from the Archive issue, it's a pretty neat feature.
>Unspeakable Truths
Compared to other level 14 warlock abilities, potentially permanent confusion seems pretty powerful. The spell sharing seems cool but I don't get what this ability is for. Either you share spells with your allies, but potentially cripple them forever, or you try to confuse your enemies and give them a free spell.

Coiled Quill and Nightmarish Blast seem okay.

They don't know it's a beholder, maybe the beholder is using a major illusion of a big goblin chieftain and all the goblins follow what the illusion tells them

I'm making my new character a samurai but I feel bad for making him a battlemaster. I would pick the samurai from UA but it just seems as though its not as good. The only in combat thing it gets is the level three one which I know is good, not sure if it's worth it. am I more likely to enjoy myself as battlemaster? I haven't played a PC in years and don't want to fuck it up.
Is battlemaster really that much better than the other options?

>I have no friends and this story is fake.

ftfy.

I'm having a lot of trouble building my Warlock. I love the customization with the class but it feels so limited even with so many options because some options are clear cut the best. EB + Agonizing Blast is basically mandatory for non-Bladelocks unless you can make your melee decent (ie Tomelock with Shillelagh, use GFB, especially with level 6 Celestial), while Bladelocks require every fucking Invocation to be used for their weapon basically. There are so many cool and flavorful Invocations, like Cloak of Flies, Mask of Many Faces, Voice of the Chainmaster, and all those other ones that give spells at will or once per long rest or whatever. But at least half need to be for your Tome or Blade. Chain is the weakest but most customizable at least. But it still just seems like you should be allowed to choose like two Invocations when you get one normally or something. One combat, one non-combat or something. I don't know.

I agree.

>Going to the Archive
Technically they can learn anything from the Archive at risk of DC:30 Charisma save from the location of an object to information about a specific plane. Its basically like carrying around an infinite library in your pocket.

I am trying to figure out how you're supposed to enter it though, it's pretty vague as to how you get into the Archive in the first place, do you open a portal or teleport? I don't see a range limit on the willing creatures either can this be done anywhere? Seems odd. Also, I think we need stats for the Silent One as it does not have any.

>Written In Blood
Agreed, seems too risky unless you can find a way to make it so it can only target an opponent. I'm not sure how to fix this or if you just have to be smart about its use as you can just stab yourself with a dagger and summon a CR:1-6 creature to kill the first thing it sees.

>Unspeakable Truths
You can stop the confusion via damaging them it will take some time but it's not permanent.

How many characters do you have that you're actually playing consistently right now? What race/class?

I feel like 95% of homebrews are unnecessary. You can either change an existing class, class feature, or spell's flavour or multiclass and get to where to you need to go.

Doesn't ToA have some as enemies?

I run one IRL D&D game every other Wednesday
I run one online D&D game every Thursday
I run one online Delta Green game very Sunday.

I play a lot of characters!

Zero. Our DM dmed one session in three months.

>3 sesh week
How do you find time even if you're a NEET?

What people think of this template to simulate fighting greater numbers of enemies? Adapted it from something I saw here for 3.5

Group

This template represents something like 10 to 20 warriors/soldiers/creatures working together.

Level: +4 for effects that depend on level.

CR: +4

Size: increases in one category. This applies to hiding and combat manuevers, but not attack or AC.

Hit points: Multiply the original creature's hp by five.

Attack: original creature +5.

Damage: what happens is that the military unit deals one extra damage for every 3 points its attack roll exceeds the enemy AC. Say a bunch of spearmen (1d6) attacks a enemy with 15 AC, and they roll 18. This means their damage is 2d6. It's hard to fight multiple coordinated enemies.

Special abilities:

-A unit is immune to effects which don't cause damage and target just one creature, like charm person. But sleep, which affects an area, affects an unit just fine. Acid arrow, which targets one creature but causes damage, also works.

-An unit suffers an extra 50% damage with area attacks. The cleave feat allows someone to make an extra attack, improved cleave allows an extra two.
All other stats remain the same as the original creature.

>Death House
>pretty obvious something is in that pool of water
>set up a hunting trap chained to a support beam and also tie some wire between two beams to make a tripline
>go in and fuck around
>here comes the shambling mound
>everybody runs out
>DM describes how slow it's moving about 20 times
>whole party takes pot shots at this thing except the Fighter, who stands between the traps and the shambling mound
>and never retreats
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Oy vey, unless he's in the hospital you need to find yourself a new group my dude. Where you based?

Kek, did he blame the DM when he inevitably failed as well?

1 since its hard finding a game here. Online doesn't really work since timezones.

Went with half elf fighter/bladelock since it sounded amusing.

Europe or cheeki breeki?

No. He is fully aware of what he is doing.
My table, in general, is kite-averse, though. They don't understand that cheese is part and parcel of D&D and you cannot succeed unless you're willing to pop around corners or set up ridiculous traps. Walking up to every creature and casting spells or swinging a sword is going to get you murdered sooner than later, because the AB/damage and HP of enemies never works in your favor and assumes you will play smart.

Filthy south east asian.

Swarms already exist. And there's already mob combat rules.

You poor soul, glad to know there's some fa/tg/uys over there though

Is there a way to make swarms out of anything?

And where can I find the mob combat rules?

>tfw living in shithole without players
at least I can play with people from the East Coast since it's only a 1 hour difference (day light savings makes it 3 hours later)

It's pretty easy?

I work a white-collar, office job 9-5 with a long commute, gives me a lot of time to write and think and daydream. I work out during lunch and never, ever bring my work home. I've been doing this for 16 years now so everything is very intuitive. I'm good at time management. Really my only obligations in life are work, GF, friends, parents, and RPGs. Pretty short list all things considered.

My party's the same, they think the best option's to fight honorably (it's not) but their rolls are literally unbelievable so they always make it through ok. One day their luck's going to run out and then BAM, they're ogre chow

>9-5
>Long commute
>Never bring my work home
If I could reach through my phone and strangle you with my filth-encrusted farmer hands, I just might

Well at least there's a group even if 3/4 of the players don't know the rules. Especially the rogue that doesn't even know how his class features actually work.

DM works too hard to emulate Matt Mercer though.

That sounds pretty good not gonna lie.

If you've got a group you're better off than Bongistan, I had to forge mine from half-normies and the easily intimidated

does anyone have 1000 rooms of madness pdf?

I was a management consultant before I switched. Constant 'overtime' (salaried so I wouldn't get paid for it), always on-call, tons of evenings and weekends. It just isn't worth it to grind away your 20s like that. I got a job that lets me pay my mortgage, buy some luxuries, save a little for the future, and not have to work like a dog. I'll take that over the disgusting large paycheque and missing out on my 20s any day.

We are playing Princes of Apocalypse campaign. We briefly visited Rivergard Keep and now cleared two levels of Sacred Stone Monastery.

There are three of us and we had all together 6 character deaths (with some Raise Deads), so 2/3 characters are not originals. If the wizardess is going to die, then there will be noone who has any reason to investigate missing Mirabaran caravan or care much about the original plot - it seems like it will break the game.
We had similar problem when we run LMoP - at the end, there were no characters that knew Gundred and i think group was mostly driven by promise of money by Galina i believe ? I don't exactly remember, i missed the end of the campaign.

Is that common? How do you handle it?

Had a similar thing happen with our group. We were doing Expedition to the Spider Realm or something like that for 3.5. By the end of it only one PC remained out of the original group, and even he changed a bit down there.

We kind of dealt with it by having the current party members fill in the new guy on what was going on and why it was important (see: lots and lots of money).
So we kind of did the whole replace caged monkeys experiment with ourselves.

What's the best Warlock patron for Curse of Strahd? Gonna be playing it soon as a sort of Halloween campaign. Undying or Celestial I'm guessing.

You guess appropriately.

Tho true, the same can be said of all UA, Splat Books, and even some core classes and options.

Homebrew isn't meant to provide real solid missing content, it's more for filling a niche for a particular group. That's the biggest divide IMO.

It really is in terms of being engaged with what you're doing. If you're the kind of person who feels okay doing the same thing almost every round of every combat then other kinds of fighters are fine, but if you're not you've basically got Battlemaster and EK to pick from.

Yeah, to me it seems like some more things should just be rolled into the baseline class or into the archetypes so that the Invocation options feel more like options.

>(salaried so I wouldn't get paid for it), always on-call, tons of evenings and weekends

Employers like this should be beaten with rods until they just hire the extra people that they obviously need.

Undying Light seems like it would be pretty good. You get Sacred Flame and your Charisma bonus to any radiant damage you deal.

So a few threads ago someone recommend a Dex paladin/ revised ranger mc to build a badass Monster Hunter type character, but I can't find a way to build this character well using point buy since I need a 13 Str, Dex and Cha to make it work. Is this possible without rolling for stats and getting good rolls?

By the logic of the last line, Paladins, druids and rangers shouldnt exist.

It is. Just brace yourself for dumped Int and mediocre Con, when you could just do everything you wanted anyway in the first place with a Vengeance Paladin

also 13 wis
whoever suggested that is faggot.

They shouldn't.

Yeah, this is super MAD. You can do 13/13/10/8/13/13 with five points left over, which basically is just a 14 in two stats and an 11 in another. No race picked either; maybe if you did a half-elf it might be workable.

What's the good offensive stat in this build, Str or Dex?

What's the best way to make just a standard blaster Warlock?

agonizing blast and done

Running CoS for a new group, and so I figure someone is going to want to become a wereraven/wolf. Looking at the book, I don't see a lot of drawbacks. There's mention in the fluff of learning to control your shapeshifting eventually, and losing control under the full moon, but that's it. The only mechanic is to prevent getting infected.

How has everyone else handled this?

This actually seems like a super useful litmus test for homebrewing stuff, saving for later.

One.

Human warlock/paladin.

It gets posted every new thread, that's been a bit of a problem

I urge you to reconsider such foolishness.
What features your ideal Monster Hunter posses?

Be fiendlock, learn fireball.
Also, what previous user said.

Yea that's the best I came up with too, I was trying for a Trevor Belmont type character but honestly he's probably more ranger/rogue or fighter/rogue? Who knows honestly

Are there any UA options that I shouldn't allow? I have 3 new players coming in tomorrow, and I feel like there's a fuckton of options that I've never used and can't predict.

I know about multiclassing, that Lore Master wizard is absurd, but what about some others?

No one posted this last thread or the thread before that.

I have a calendar which I run in the background of the campaign. The stages of the moon shift weekly, every Monday
During a Full Week the pc becomes an NPC at my control during the night

How do you rank the importance of your knowledge skills /5eg/?

If you're going to have them, do you need to have them all? I feel like History is always the worst one, but is Arcana always more useful than Religion for instance or does it depend on the campaign?

I allow for an Arcana to replace religion on a Necromancer Wizard who requires information about Undead

Help me make a Goblin Warlock.

Mystic for sure

Some other signs of faggotry are Mystic and dipping Hexblade.

Speaking of Hexblade, I have a probably dumb question!
Can you be a Hexblade and still take a Pact, or is being a Hexblade your Pact?

Here are the options you should allow because they are confirmed to be featured in the future

1) Glamour Bard
2) Knight
3) Inquisitive Rogue
4) Favored Soul Sorcerer
5) Horizon Walker Ranger (all portals gets switched to nearest portal)
6) Glamour Bard
7) Forge Cleric
8) Storm Herald Barbarian
9) Dream Druid
10) Redemption Paladin

See: Volo's Guide to Monsters: Booyagah Slave

If someone plays a Lore Wizard or Hexblade, you know they are trying to do some heinous shit.

While Mystic is CAPABLE of heinous shit, there are a multitude of ways of building one that don't involve being a minmaxing dickhead at all. To ban it outright is a reaction to a problem that likely doesn't even exist. There have been four Mystics so far at my table (only one of them before V3) and none of them were remotely close to being the busted mess many on /5eg/ assume that all Mystics are trying to be.
Just change the Nomadic Mind focus, IF they even take it.

They're unrelated; Hexblade's your Patron, your Pact is a feature from the base Warlock class.

Let me qualify that Hexblade comment, actually. If you're playing a straight Warlock Hexblade, fine. If you are dipping into Warlock on a Paladin or Bard, look the fuck out. All Warlock dips are immediately suspicious.

Unless they confirmed they will appear unchanged, your argument is pointless.

Arcana, History
Religion
Nature

But it depends on DM and campaign he's running.

Main downside is you're starting with either 14 or 15 Cha rather than the 16 that a good race for this would get you; 15 actually isn't bad because you can also nab a 15 in Con and then at your first ASI go to a +3 in both stats. I also balanced this around point buying to 14 in Dex, which pops you up to 16 after racial.

Other than that not sure what you want from it so, ???

The thing that popped to my mind is Bladelock with a rapier. If you take the Waterdhavian/Noble background you get Persuasion proficiency (there's some other backgrounds for this but I think justifying a noble goblin is funnier) and you can use your two Warlock proficiencies for the other face skills, Deception/Intimidation, so you can do Bladelock in combat and Face outside of it.

Seems okay? I guess?

I expend 3 psi to construct a Wall of Wood between me and these shitty opinions.

I'm shillier, step on the mic and I get shilly
Them man there can't see me I'm shillier
You better know the guns them shillly
When I back out the MAC start shillier
You will enter your casket, shilly

Come to the rave, SHILL!

Good. All you other autists get on the other side of that wall too

>tfw the closest you'll ever get to playing a Magestorm / Nexus PC is Mystic
youtube.com/watch?v=SvaTtByYMKg

Is it easier to comment on the person wanting to spread the good content than actually read the material and critique it? Who knows maybe you might find something you like and can take into your personal game?

As a GM who allows UA until they've proven to be too problematic, mystic is a problem to me, because all 6 attempts at playing a mystic has been powergaming assholes who either obviously copies some internet meme build, talks constantly about how overpowered certain abilities are, and/or constantly complains when I disallow or tune down certain options.

It has frankly been more mystic players who are a problem. Without mystics, their autism is manageable, but with the mystic in their hands, they go full autism mode. No player I've met has been reasonable about it, and considering the autistic screeching Mysticfags in here does, I have 0 faith in anyone who claims he can do it, in a non-obnoxious way.

>hexblade
>problematic
I think you are being retarded. Hexblade is not a problem.

>If you are dipping into hexblade
Yep, allowing mc with UA: definitely retarded.

>Is it easier to comment on the person wanting to spread the good content than actually read the material and critique it?
>>Is it easier to comment on the person wanting to spread the good content
>>>the person wanting to spread the good content
>>>spread the good content
>>>>good content
>>>>>good