>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

old thread

I realize it's not Friday Night, I just copy and pasted it. Forgive me brothers.

With that said, Pan-O Update.

Doing my Nisses tonight. This is what he looks like pre shading and highlighting. Stippling and a bit of drybrushing is a really nice way of doing leather though you can't see much of it in this shot.

Going to start getting some paint on a kitbashed Legion Delegatus for my Imperial Fists later tonight. Uploading a picture of bare plastic/resin for posterity.

His body proportions seem kinda off. Like his regular arm is almost as big as a power fist, aswell as his feet being really tiny. I'm sure it will look better when painted.

HE HAS TINY FEET!

Also where is that power fist from?

So I got a Slaanesh boobsnake. I ordered a pin vise too. Any advice on putting together an old, all-metal model like this?

Are there any good helmet pieces I could use to replace the Warpsmith's? I don't like his mk II-ish helmet design, and I want to replace it with something that still has eye-gadget things.

Pan-O Update

Nisses is finished, based and varnished.

That makes four guys in four days, I'm on a roll. This Icestorm set will be done in no time.

And a back shot. I like how the leather turned out.

Mixing Stippling and Drybrushing made for a nice texture.

Seeing mold lines on metal models can be pretty hard, I often find myself putting a very light layer of primer with my airbrush down to spot them all.

Also you're on the right path with a drill. Pin everything you conceivably can.

It's no dread hip deep in water but it's mine

Will cut up paperclips suffice or should I get something else for pinning?

Made me kek heartily.

Paperclips are perfect. Get a couple different sizes that are ever so slightly smaller than your drill bits so there's room for the glue. Also having a couple different sizes means if you need to pin something larger you aren't still using a tiny paperclip.

A group shot of what I've gotten done the last few days.

Just the Fusiliers left out of the base Icestorm box. Going to paint the Joan of Arc that came with Angel Giraldez' first book after them too.

Then it's on to the Beyond Icestorm box.

Alrighty Skeletor user here. So I'm thinking about trying my skeleton army with GSC/Nids. Neophytes, genestealers, and magus/primus will rock the skull. Acolyte/metamorph and pure nids will rock a cuttlefish/lictor look with some extra bone stuff. I feel like this could work my main concern is that it will be hard to make skulls/bone conversion bits work with the carapace/shell that all nids have. maybe if I color them the same as the carapace it'll help make it seem like it's apart of their natural armor. Thoughts?
I thought about ice but that scared me as I'm still fairly new to the hobby and converting. DG might work but I'd want to use their new models and it's all bloated the fleshy so it wouldn't really work.

just applied some reikland on this bad boy, really turning up the "regal roman captain" look and making the second layer of his hood gold

obviously very WIP as i have to clean my highlights, but i'm feeling pretty good about how he's gonna turn out

Looking pretty spiffy user.

How're you going to paint his sword?

thanks my dude, no clue desu, i've seen some really fancy power sword designs but he'll probably end up like pic related (it's the only image i have of the guy, he's been based and retouched since then)

Now I just gotta highlight with Stormhost Silver and then I can glue it onto the mini itself.

Thoughts on my EC so far? Just got the head in the mail today, I feel like I painted him to look kinda sad.

fucking clean/10, good job

i've seen your EC before, I would've recommended maybe painting the feet black and the leg armor pink (just to bring back that older edition color scheme) but that's just nitpicking on my part, solid work

To be honest, I'm terrified of painting black. I lack alot of paints so I've just been doing alot of blending of administratum grey and abaddon black. Same with my pinks. just a mix of ceramite white and emperor's children pink.

Nothing wrong with good ol' fashion metal. Not everything's gotta be some boss ass gradient.

Pic Related.

i see, in that case just keep on trucking man, i'd be stoked to play against a well painted army like that

>Not everything's gotta be some boss ass gradient

i figured as much haha, your model looks boss man

Doing things the way you're doing them is the easiest way to build confidence in not just doing your models as a paint by numbers kit.

Having to mix your colours constantly teaches you how to properly thin and understand the strengths of your pigments.

Keep at it.

Martian polar snow, thoughts?

Too thick and bunched up

Anyone know where I might be able to get more of these? They're called Scarab Legion Cataphractii

They're from Shapeways but I think they got axed by GW's purge in early September

Did you check ebay?

Yeah, several combinations

Ayy

Pure evolution from my googley nids

all I see is that someone buried blitzcrank in the ground

Any other tips?

Try thinking about how it would look logically, like think about snow falling and wind and shit, and maybe look up some pictures to get an idea
If you mean actual technical tips om how to do it, I've got nothing

What did you use for the snow?

Whatever it is do yourself a favour and stop using it.

It doesn't look like snow, it looks like mashed potatoes.

Get some actual powdered snow from Woodland Scenics or Secret Weapon.

To expand on this, take Woodland Scenics snow or even GW snow, and also buy a bit of Woodland Scenics Realistic water - apply the snow, and while it's drying, add a bit of the realistic water to the, say, 20% around the ends. It'll water it down, and make it look like patched snow that's melting. It's super easy, and looks pretty good.

Definitely a great idea if your base is somewhere the snow is melting.

Everything I've done with snow lately has been for very cold places so I haven't made any melted patches. Your melting came out looking awesome.

Yeah, to be fair my point isn't applicable to cold places. Honestly though, it's the only way I've been able to make snow look good. Regret selling that army, the first one I ever completely finished.

That your warband complete, then? It was fun watching you work through it.

Complete is a term I use loosely.

I just like painting undead stuff so I've got more models to add to it on the waythat I can use as specific upgraded units or just alternates to replace guys that die and such.

When I finish all the Pan-O stuff I've been working on I'm going to start on my Ghost Archipelago warband for when that comes out. Perhaps unsurprisingly they're going to be Undead Pirates.

I'm working on making a chaos scorpius for 40k. Any thoughts on how I should approach the turret? I'm buying a 40k stalker/hunter to use as a base (stabilization struts to convey the "don't move, get two shots" aspect of it)

Hey, the undead are awesome, so I can see where you're coming from. Kudos on painting Infinity, too, for some reason everything I try that works well on GW stuff seems to fail miserably every time I take a stab at the Ariadna starter I've had laying around.

Pic is the next project, assuming I ever finish these chads. Found a nice pile of resin bits to add more detail, although I need to get a new battery and light source - the one that came with it is, uh, a little old and no longer functional.

Slowly progressing on my Scythes of the Emperor terminator. I have a few questions- Anyone got any ideas how to make the chest better? Also will Mechanicus Standard Grey be a good highlight for the black parts? What color should I make the nid's guts? Thanks for the help!

Looks sweet user! You'll have to post a picture of it on the mini!

It's been a lifelong dream of mine to own a large scale model of a Star Destroyer.

Something like 3 or 4 feet across. Some day.

Definitely post progress of that, get some Star Wars hype going for Star Wars Legion.

God, the resemblance is uncanny. I'd try to cheer him up if I didn't already know that would entail murder-fucking me into another dimension.

Either way, solid work user.

To the people who can paint a tabletop standard fast do you have any tips? I was planning on finishing the human team in under 10 days but I'm at day 6 and I have not finished my first three guys.

Jesus Christ that resolution I forgot to fix that.

My love of space wedges is hard to quantify, user. If I could have a scale SSD, with fiber optics, I think I could die happy.

Finished black and associated highlights on these smuf Hellblasters tonight. Slowly but surely getting back into the hobby after many years.

A lot of your speed will come from knowing what order to paint things in.

With the example you posted you could have slapped down a couple quick coats of the yellow on all three paying very little attention to getting it on other parts.

Then you could slap all the armour color down just being careful enough not to hit the yellow.

Then you do the detail work.

It looks like you did the yellow after the metallic work which would make it harder than it needed to be.

It was originally supposed to be just a normal non metallic purple but then I changed my mind. But I agree with that I should have done the yellow first.

To expand on what the other user said, one of the best bits of advice I got was "work from the inside out." Obviously it's dependent on the model, but look at the sarcophagus of the dreadnought here, the face plate - best course of action is to finalize the black bits, then move on the next highest surface. Painting the eagle first, for instance, would make it very difficult to get to the inner bits.

That same idea can be applied to your models. Would you finish the helmet, then try and wedge your brush in to work on the face? You could, but it then the paint might slop over, and the helmet you're working on now has a hideous fleshy spot.

Otherwise, kudos. Keep at it user, and post more pics.

Anyone know some good bits for making traitor guard?

No washes or drybrushes just base coat so far.

the spikey bits

started working on a flame cannon today. i should have sub assemblied.

Really like your dudes. I don't suppose you would be willing to share some of your techniques?

The highlights look really great and stand out, I would love to be able to replicate it.

>Legion Delegatus
what, do they outsource their crusades?

They all talk like Ted Cruz.

Next time someone complains about shaky hands, post this.

but who was camera?

a fellow user posted this marine in the last thread and i fell in love with the painting, especially the armor, kind of reminds me of blanche.
so maybe, if you are lurking here, you would be so kind to enlighten me.
how did you pant him?

well, I know that there are a few kits here and there that has Nid-skulls, like in the Terminator-lord kit, but as for something more Genestealer like, I wouldn't know.

I like your idea though.If you wished, you could take it a step further with the "he-man villains", and just make the rest from the bunch, atleast in command or so.I think Clawful, maybe Rattlor could work then too, depending on how you make them.

Keep us updated though!

One of my mates made me a static grass box, does anyone know where I can get different lengthened static grass? for reasonably cheap.

It's GW valhallan blizzard

anyone got a pic of that scratchbuild GUO with the hairlip some guy did a few months ago?

He's using a solarite gauntlet for his PF. Solarite gauntlets are already smaller than FW PFs, and FW PFs are already smaller than huge giant plastic GW PFs.

I am struggling a bit with my motivation.
I've got plenty of ambitious projects lined up, but lately I've just been fiddling around with bits trying to conceptualize further ideas. Nothing gets assembled, let alone cleaned up. Painting hasn't happened for three months.
Doesn't help that the gf is getting on my case about it as well.

paint her

Got some custom Raptors riflemen dreadnoughts in progress, finally got them to basecoated status after finishing the hardware.

First trooper in my USAriadna force is done (mostly). This was my first time trying to purely edge highlights and that shit is hard on small models like Infinity stuff. I'm also not too sure about that white dot on the visor.
C&C welcomed.

Bro I have to ask, not shitting on your painting at all, but what's the appeal of Infinity models? It's the same color all over the model except stuff like the gun and that coat thing and a few white bits here and there. Is there at least supposed to be a design or something on those nice smooth pauldrons? Or are these guys just the liniest of all line infantry and there's more interesting guys coming? Again, nothing against your painting abilities, I'm just trying to understand Infinity aesthetics.

that's how snow looks in real life

This is one cool tyranid

Is it just the paintjob or are these models actually this bad. Is there a way to not paint these models so cartoonish?

Obviously Infinity is not for you, friend. The smooth, uniform look is part of the appeal for several factions.
That being said, there are plenty of minis and even factions that have a different look to them.

That's not a nisse.

Paints seem a but thick on the helmet and you could clean up the highlights , they are too thick and look a bit messy

You might want to add some brighter color to the model to help break him up and give the eye something to catch in the tabletop, but that's purely an aesthetic choice

ACK!!!

radical, dude

He's got something else that's tiny as well.

The power fist is a Templar Bretheren solarite gauntlet from FW.

The muscle arms are bad, the rest is fine imo. The paint job isn't making it better either.

Ligg unna groten MIN!

Not sure if I'm happy with the position of the eagle now that the thing is painted.

It's good user, it looks like the eagle is going to land on the custodian's arm

just sit down and get on with it. stop being a procrastinating faggot.

I'm working on a piece of scenery but don't know how to make it fancier.

It's a cooling unit kind of thing, fans are supposed to go sit in the two circles on the top. The pipes on the ground aren't glued so they can be put against any side or just left off. The roof is fine, but the rest is a bit bland so I need something to fancy it up.

Here's the other stuff I've made to give an idea of what I'm going with. The two smokestacks will get a redo later on to match the pipes more.

Tonight's progress. Still have a bunch of shading and highlighting, plus the whole backpack, Chainsword, and combi-plasma to do. However, I'm still pleased with the scheme. Wasn't sure how it would turn out on a MKIV, but I think it works.

Need to do some cleanup on the shoulder too.

I hope before he buries his weapon in somebodies skull he screams SUCKLE ME

SUCKLE MY HERETESTICLES

>Brush held like pen
Wait, are there people who actually DON'T hold their brush like that and need to be told how to? That shit is as natural as breathing! What the fuck!

Coolings units tend to have fins (like you see on a heatsink). They're likely inside the unit but you could damage the cooling unit a bit and expose the fins.

Chiller units may have switchboards to get power. Try making a little switchboard (like a cupboard), colour it orange and slap some DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE labels (or in-universe equivalent) on it. A switchboard may also have power meters, cable compartments, a DCS marshalling box or controls equivalent, circuit breakers (big ones), circuit breaker chasis, indicator lights, key interlocks, maybe a transfer switch. If it has relays or motorization, it would also have an auxiliary power supply nearby. If you choose to damage it, you can even expose some busbars within it.

Given that your chiller looks like an outdoor unit, it probably has a canopy gazebo thing over the fans to stop rainwater. Consider also have some lightning rods nearby as lightning protection. Consider adding mesh/grills over the fan exhaust to stop small animals getting in

They also might be mounted on some sort of railing so a forklift could pick it up and move it around. Might also have some handles here and there that are left over from manufacturing,

Water is often the cooling medium so have some sort of water monitoring/control station nearby. It can be represented with some dials, taps, levers or whatever would make sense in your universe.

Got a good kek outta me. Thank you

wow, thanks for the detailed reply. I'll go look at how I could realise some of these things. I got some plastic canvas which I was already considering to add to the fans. These things are pretty big so a forklift would be tricky. A big crane could have lifted it in place so adding details to complement that is an idea.

they look cool as fuck, where are the auto cannons from?

They're bad, but the paintjob is making it worse.

Genestealer Cult bits are useful. Just need to remove some of the obvious Tyranid-y bits..