MTG Standard

Couldn't find a discussion for standard, just EDH and Modern. I usually play EDH but want to get into standard so maybe a thread about it would be cool?

Other urls found in this thread:

deckstats.net/decks/93910/820456-dinostandard/en
channelfireball.com/articles/deck-of-the-day-rg-dinosaurs/
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/play-design/four-rules-balanced-format-2017-09-29
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ixalan-wb-vampires/
mtggoldfish.com/articles/brewer-s-minute-how-many
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

how much worse is UR control right now with the loss of Wandering Fumarole? Will it only survive if I start splashing black for KANG Nicol Bolas?

Hostage Taker makes me want to play U/B but I don't have a deck plan ready. My last deck was Mono-B Zombies with sideboardable blue splash, so the lands I already have, but now Hostage Taker is rising in price. What kind of build should I make, "aggro flyers with light control" or heavy control?

I pulled 3 out of sheer luck at drafts and prize packs so I put it in my mono-B with splashable blue (for scarab my main man) and have put all 3 in. They just slot right in. With Scarab God when you eternalise it you can play the effect again which is just ridiculous.

just get lots of pirates

Anyone notice any kind of meta or trend forming yet? I'm still waiting for make my mono blue fliers deck, but i'm not sure how much i'll have to wait to actually try it, because standard is a bit slow in my LGS

Thinking of getting a Merfolk deck

any of you guys have a good list?

tbqh my dude, merfolk feel like a worse BG constrictor deck. It feels like they neither go wide enough not tall enough,

It's going to fall back down. It's a great card but Ixalan is going to get opened like crazy because the next standard set won't come out til next year.

A good comparison would be Glorybringer when that card spiked up to $10+ then eventually settled down back to $5.

thinking of getting a bundle

which set should i get?

I'm fucking tired of losing against RDW. Every other match up is okay. But RDW is a pain. I'm willing to run a subpar deck just to fuck it's shit up everytime. Suggestions?

second sun fog

Singles

bw vampires

3 copies of authority of the consuls

ideally in BW tokens

survive long enough to land 1-2 secret stockpile and overwhelm them with blockers

Could it really fall down that much if there aren't any "masterpiece" inserts to drive case sales?

Also, who's ready for $5 MaMa?

Mono-W lifelink, they blow their entire hand and you're still on 15+ life. Use fairgrounds warden and cast out to deal with hazoret/glory.
Horses are also impossible for them to kill because they have no exile anymore.

I had 3 people at my LGS run RDW so I built mono-w for like $15 before rotation now nobody runs it.

Ixalan is going to be continuously opened until January. That shit is going back down to $5.

Right now it's only going up because everyone is trying to gather their playset.

And pushes

Give me the BG explore deck

No, you get RR instead.

No! I don't want that!

Okay, here's your post-rotation RR.

I made a dinosaur deck based on one I found on channel fireball, wondering if it would actually be a viable deck and if I should build it or just a shitty meme

The deck
deckstats.net/decks/93910/820456-dinostandard/en

And the channel fireball link
channelfireball.com/articles/deck-of-the-day-rg-dinosaurs/

Why in God's name are you running 2-ofs for everything. Pick the best cards in the deck, and run those at 4. Especially things like Ripjaw and Alpha.

>UW Sunrise is third best deck in the format
>it plays settle the wreckage
>TFW I was on here saying that it was a great deck well before anyone got into the format
>TFW I discovered one of the best decks in standard
feels so good man

Is Standard shaping up to be just Dinos, Temur Energy and Uxx Gearhulk Control?

I'm making an Esper Second Sun deck. What creatures should I put in?

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/play-design/four-rules-balanced-format-2017-09-29

So it's confirmed Wizards has no idea what they're doing and wants midrange and ramp (but not too much ramp) to be the only archetypes ever?

UW Approach was a good deck before Ixalan.

>dinos
>good

>What creatures should I put in?
how about none? If you really feel the need to put in creatures, gearhulk.

Torrential Gearhulk seems mandatory.I was also thinking of Gonti, Lord of Luxury. Seems like a good card for Esper.

what's the splashed color?

It's Esper. Esper is U/B/W.

article doesn't say that, just that no polarizing strategy should be undefeatable and every strategy should have some kind of interaction. That is correct and almost anyone will agree, but in practice, yes they are pushing midrange hard.

it's standard, mana base is poorly optimized...even if you play a three color deck you need two strong colors and one minor (splashed) color.

there is a reason UW approach doesn't play creatures, control decks always have the advantage game one that the enemy has dead cards in hand, but you kind of need the creatures to win the game after you took advantage. Second sun doesn't need creatures because it wins with a sorcery, so playing creatures is basically giving free card advantage to your opponent. Gearhulk is ok in the sideboard because they often side out the creature removal and because it creates value even if the opponent remvoes it, but no reason to maindeck it or to have even more creatures.

just saying because of standard's inferior mana base i like UWR sun so you can splash white for sun only and have both early interaction and good sweepers thanks to red(which i believe are lacking in current standard for black?)

Fair enough. Haven't played standard since Esper during Sphinx's Revelation. I'll look into UW control instead.

when you are not good and experienced always play netdecks, then once you understand them fuck with them. Going into a standard format face first with a homebrew can be fun, but it makes for a ahrsher experience trying to piece together what is good and why then just trying what is good.

Truth be told I would perform better at FNM and local events with homebrew. Back in the day during Lorwyn/Morningtide I used to make people tableflip with a mean Sudden Spoil deck.

What do you guys think about this deck? I'm trying to make it competitive, and so far in some "testing" it seems pretty powerful with some combos like Skyship Plunderer + Jace to ult Jace turn 4, or Skyship Plunderer + Stormfleet Aerialist with raid to make an ever growing threat in the air. Other than that, it's some good tempo creatures, some card draw, and some counter spells. Let me know what you guys think.

Mono U Tempo

Lands : 22
16 Islands
2 Field of Ruin
4 Glacial Fortress

Creatures: 18
4 Siren Stormtamer (U)
4 Skyship Plunderer (1U)
3 Stormfleet Aerialist (1U)
3 Daring Sabotuer (1U)
4 Dreamcaller Siren (2UU)

Planeswalkers: 4
4 Jace, Cunning Castaway (1UU)

Spells: 16
3 Opt (U)
3 Chart a Course (1U)
2 Unsummon (U)
2 Spell Pierce (U)
3 Lookouts Dispersal (2U)
3 Disallow (1UU)

The sideboard isn't concrete yet, but I'm thinking of some Failure//Comply for a way to deal with Carnage Tyrant (that's why the Glacial Fortresses are in there, to get some Comply value) , maybe some Entrancing Melody for stealing aggros low creatures, but other than that idk.

What is a good deck for a beginner?

Probably some form of faster creature deck with not as many difficult descisions.

like?

I honestly think UR control is dead and UB with a splash of red of unlicensed disintegration and harnessed lightning is going to be the go to control deck.

UR going forward in my opinion will be a more tempo based strategy. Gaining advantage with an early/fast clock alongside protection and removal.

I don't know, maybe something like Rumunap Red if they have the budget, it's one of the best decks right now anyways

>Primal Wellspring on the field
>Use it to cast Approach of the Second Sun
>Cast copy first, then the original from hand
>Win

Does this work the way it seems like it does?

yes

I making a same kind of deck. You don't need Dreamcaller Siren, use only 3 jace (legendary rule and all that), you don't need Daring Sabatour. You should play Favourable Winds and Riddle Form. Also why Disallow? I had the idea to use UB instead of UW mana base to put in Scarab God. There are also some ok-ish B and UB fliers, but i was conflicted about weather it should juts completely be maybe UR fliers with things like enigma drake and lightning strike.

copies aren't cast.

No, copies aren't case. Look on the oracle text

If I take out in riddleform and favorable winds, it's no longer a pure tempo deck and instead it's just based on flying aggro spell slinging. I was thinking about Favorable Winds in the sb though for a faster clock against control but idk if it's counter intuitive or not. Also I play 4 Jace because 1) he's technically my only 3 drop permanent so I want to see him as consistently as possible, 2) I have so much looting and selection in this deck ( Daring Sabotuer, Opt, Chart a Course, Jace himself) that if I find myself with too many, I can always pitch one and 3) I always ult Jace on 5 if I can get turn 4 ult with Plunderer so he dies most of the times to make the copies and I can always play another right after. And Disallow is there because it's a needed counter to anything with no outs, unless they can counter it of course. Lookouts Dispersal and Spell Pierce all can be payed.

Also this isn't meant in a hateful way I'm just giving you my reasonings for card choices and such

Why would you assume i would take it in a hateful way?
I find having an empty 3 drop place useful as you can drop a 2 drop and still have space for a counter/draw/whatever-cantrip.
Oh, and the reason i find daring saboteur bad is because it's gonna eat up that 3 drop slot. Most decks will have a creature out on turn 3 when saboteur can attack so you will need to make it unblockable, which means you won't be able to get in a 2-3 drop. You will essentially be paying for 3 mana for a loot 1 deal 2 effect. isn't riddleform better in this slot as you can scry 1 for 2 with it even on you upkeep if you need to, and it attacks for 3 instead of 2 (and as far as I see you want to consistently drop jace on turn 3 which dose trigger riddle form). Favourable Winds slides in quite nicely like this, because it then works like a Flyer lord that also activates Riddle Form.

Since you already have UW lands, you might consider putting in Aether Hubs in the deck (Skyship Plunderer can also increase energy) and using Dusk//Dawn and Confiscation Coup in the side board.

You guys think Dynavolt Tower still has legs in the format? I've been seeing less and less Abrade. Been thinking of making a Tower deck with Primal Amulets

nah, it doesn't deal with the format's threats like it used to

Hmm, I've never thought of Dusk//Dawn, I've only thought about mono blue mainly. That sounds spicy as hell

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ixalan-wb-vampires/

I like this deck but unsure of the dual lands and metallic mimic. Recs?

it seems to me the deck plays too many bad cards for tribal reasons, it could be good, but it generally isn't a great idea. Mimic is pretty great for any tribal, i see no reason why vamps would say no to him and manabase seems ok.

What would be better cards for standard vampires then?

Not him, but i feel like all vamps should play hidden stockpile, as they want to go wide.

Saw hostage takers price was rising and panic bought 3 last night because I might want to play pirates.

Is there a list that's performing well online that is causing the spike? Or is this just hype/ was undervalued initially

As a follow up, how much do Metallic mimic matter in a pirate deck

SCG was won by a sultai energy deck utilizing them.

I want to marry Vraska.

why don't people use Hope of Ghirapur or Nimble Obstructionist in these decks?

What is your Mono-W build? So much of what I can think of from recent sets relies on the
recent Zendikar/Innistrad blocks - Inspector, Always Watching, etc. Without Inspector, our one-drops are what, the cat with Embalm and Legion's Landing?

while a 3/1 flash flyer is good in a winds deck, the real upside (being able to stifle+draw a card) is sort of lost since you have to cycle him to use it, so you don't get the body. I wish it was an etb trigger but alas

hope of ghirapur could be good though

Really? The only deck I can think of with unbearable threats would be G/B Counters. Mono Red can be built around (4x Sweltering Suns if it's a huge worry, alongside sideboard cheese) and when I played the deck against Temur Energy last standard it wasn't impossible to outgrind them. Dunno about UW Approach

I put a bit of money into building a BW vampire and GU merfolk deck, but the payoff doesn't seem to be there. There's nothing except Mimic for the merfolk deck that can be of particular use from Kaladesh/AR, but BW at least has two usable vampires if not a third in the mythic that steals cards.

Trouble is it starts costing a lot of money and it doesn't seem to really get there. I feel like it'd lose to Mono-R and UW control as well. My last deck was UW Approach when it wasn't really a thing, but now it seems much better and more people are playing it, it feels less fun to play because it's less of a gimmick and more a real threat.

I'm not willing to spend hundreds of dollars on a deck that may stay good for a while. I suppose I'll wait until the GP/PT to decide what looks fun to play. I love that Lightning Strike is back and I was fiddling with the idea of Grixis pirates, but it's another super popular deck and I'm not entirely sure I'd enjoy playing it. I'd at least be able to use the 4 copies of Fatal Push I picked up though.

Brsitling Hydra, Carnage Tyrant, Rhonas, and Hazoret are all going to be hard/ to hit/kill with it, and Hostage Taker can outright steal it.

First standard deck I've made. I don't get the whole 4s of everything you have, is it to keep each game more similar?

Is there any room for UR Prowess?

Not so much "similar" as much as it is "consistent".
If You want to win as much as possible you want to be be able to stick to a gameplan that you can rely on. If you have a lot of 2 ofs then its harder to draw the cards you need in order to stick to a specific plan. Of course you start having less then 4 if you want dont want to be drawing them as much early on or dont want to get caught by the legend rule.
This ought to help:
mtggoldfish.com/articles/brewer-s-minute-how-many

You pick the best of the card for the CMC slot, that works best with the deck. You don't want to spread out what you're going to be drawing for potential subpar options.

The vampire deck should btfo mono red. The W enchantment is literally a better Search for Tomorrow in the vampire deck. And you have a Hellrider that doesn't need to attack and drains.

Time to sell my Scarab God and Hazoret

why

Can you build a dino deck without carnage tyrant?

Seems dece to me, Shock, lightning strike, abrade, wither guy, spellweaver eternal

not him but probably because Scarab God has more then doubled in price over the last 3 weeks or so.

Not sure About hazoret, as far as I can tell she isnt moving but I dont know how she did at SCG since I havnt seen results/decklist. im still banking on her spiking myself

Tfw have two Japanese foil scarab gods

Wonder if I can get $100 each for them. Or at least the price of the invocation.

you can build a deck with anything, it is a matter or not if it will change the deck for better or worse. And in cases of fighting control, which I fear is gunna be cancerous soon, it is one way to give the finger to the 20 spells and a fist full of gearhulks decks.

Possible, yes.
Definetly subpar, though.

Which enchantment?

The 1 cmc legendary enchantment that flips. It's effectively a better Search for Tomorrow in its own deck.

Good B/R pirates?

Then they printed a 3 mana dino with menace and 2 abilities that fucking demolish the idea of a lifegain weenie deck.

Oh, I was looking for mana ramp. Yeah it's pretty good, but it is legendary so it can be a dead card in your hand.

It's never a dead card. It will always make a 1/1 Vampire. You can also make shenaningans with it.

That card isn't maindecked and you have hella spot removal in black to get rid of it.

>removal in black
HAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAA

LIKE NIGGER THEY WON'T EVEN REPRINT VICTIM OF NIGHT

What makes desperate castaways good?

nothing?

So is this card just a meme?

When can I expect it to go back to 4-5 buck? I need a bunch for casual dino decks.

You realize black removal just won the standard open right?

Someone link me a good U/B pirates deck

>Chump with token
>Fatal push

The card is so powerful that alot of decks had to dedicate their sideboard for it this weekend.

The Sultai Energy deck for example can't beat it unless it finds Doomfall after sideboarding.

Also no one has brewed a good dinosaur deck yet. Burning sun's avatar might be better because it can shoot down hostage taker.

Why would you run skyship plunderer? Doesn't its effect only benefit the opponent?