Competitive Modern General

One mana removal edition

What's your favorite one mana removal and why? Which one do you play most?

Playing?
Hating?
Thoughts on the meta?
Meme tech?

>RESOURCES:
>Comprehensive Rules
>media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/resources/rules/MagicCompRules_21031101.pdf

>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/01-10-17-idk-yet/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You can never go wrong with Path

Dispatch

>Favorite one mana removal and why?
Swords to Plowshares because it's simply the best, unfortunately it's banned in Modern.
>Which one do you play most?
Normally Fatal Push since I run a lot of black decks and it gets rid of pretty much every threat in Modern with no real downside.

>Playing
Lantern Control, Heartless Myr and a casual Negative Counters deck.
>Hating
Nothing atm
>Thoughts on the meta?
Surprisingly healthy
>Meme Tech
2x Nest of Scarabs, 1x Blowfly Infestation and a Scar makes infinite tokens. Pretty stupid but it's for my Negative Counters deck and it's pretty great when my opponent doesn't have a Wrath.

>unfortunately it's banned in Modern
It's not legal in modern you retard. They never banned the card it just never got printed in a standard set from 8th forward.

Banned and not legal are exactly the same thing.
Can I play it in Modern? No? It's banned.
I'm well aware it was never banned in a B&R announcement, but clearly, if Wizards wanted us to have Swords in Modern, they would have reprinted it at some point.

>taking a children's card game serious enough to fall for the 'competitive' meme

>Banned and not legal are exactly the same thing.
No they aren't. Banned means the card was at least tested in the format (DRS, Blazing shoal etc) whereas not legal would be any card for one reason or another was never in the cardpool to begin with.

In practice, they're exactly the same.

>When so many people at your LGS are playing blood moon that you start cutting your own blood moons
>but everyone who's not on blood moon is still on tron
>They all know you run blood moon and they all fetch for basics
>Half the time the threat of blood moon is as effective as actually resolving the blood moon so you just beat with creatures

>Playing Burn the other day
>against gb Tron
>he says, "Hey, are you running Moon in the sideboard?"
>"I dunno, AM I running Moon in the sideboard?"
>turn 1&2 fetch basics
>he freaks out and slows down his game
>I don't even own blood moons
It's a good feeling.

Is it really necessary to call some one a retard for making a mistake on a single word?

>Building?
R/G vengevine
>Hating?
Not hating but getting a little bored of DS everywhere.
>Thoughts on the meta?
Pretty good overall
>Meme tech?
Really liking bomat courier

Speaking of Ravager, when do you think will be the best time to sell my Masterpiece Ravager? Ravagers are pretty pricey, haven't been reprinted in awhile, so I figure they have a target on their back, but I wouldn't think they'd be in anything but a Modern Masters set as it doesn't see play in any other format.

DS isn't nearly as popular as it used to be though.

>Tron players that can't play around blood moon
>Tron players that don't run Blood Moon in their own side
I hate E-Tron players

Anyone tried the Ug Merfolk deck splashing for CoCo and Branchwalker yet?

What cards would you ban, Veeky Forums?

What cards would you unban?

I would unban:
BBE
Birthing Pod
DRS
Dig Through Time
Green Sun's Zenith
JTMS
Mental Misstep
Preordain (NOT ponder though)
Skullclamp
SFM
Treasure Cruise
Artifact Lands

I would ban:
Back to Nature
Blood Moon
Inkmoth Nexus
Monastery Swiftspear

stop this fucking shit posting and baiting

Bans and unbans aren't even the answer, they just need flat out new cards, like a delve card for burn, or some black tempo creatures

cant go wrong with s simple old bolt.

do not reply to tripfags

just imagine a burn spell that you can delve away cards to pump up the dmg it does

XRR
Delve
Deal x damage to target creature of player

XXR wouldnt even be enough if it can target players.

anger from the grave
sorcery
XRRR
delve
there, is that good?

so if he gets bolted, all of the creatures that the person who casts bolt has gets bolted in turn?

If your opponent bolts it they bolt all their own dudes.
If you Twisted Image it you cast Twisted Image on all your own dudes.

A spell like that wouldn't see play unless it was an instant and was an XR cost

There's black snappy

Oh, well, while that does look nice, what my deck is really craving is like, 1B, on ETB opponent discards a card, deathtouch, 1/1

the art was no much nicer in the older sets.

*so

Brain Maggot kind of sucks though, because if I wrath afterwards, they get that key card back

I'm building BW Death and Taxes. I'm running 4 inquisitions and 2 fatal push ob top of 4 paths. Is that stupid?
I also have to flex spots. I run one eldrazi displacer and one blade splicer. Should i cut one of these or both for something?
Last thing, i run 4 ghost quarters. How many tec edges should i run? Or should i try the new field of ruin from ixalan?

>a good friend of mine plays skred red for budget reasons
>his little brother got him into magic recently
>he regulary gets top 4 in fnm just because blood moon

Blood moon is just brutal

Path is the best one mana removal by a mile, because it isn't situational removal. Most of my decks don't run a ton of fetches (at most 6 total) and I try not to lose permanents, so push isn't for me.

Unban:

BBE
Pod
Misstep
DRS

Ban:

Nothing

Jund with BBE and DRS seems terrifying

You forgot sfm and jtms

I'm currently very poor so I tried building a deck out of what I've got from old collections before I am able to buy singles.

Not trying to be super competitive here, but will this be okay in your opinions for casual with friends for the next few weeks?

tappedout.net/mtg-deckpaste/01-10-17-idk-yet/

Does anyone play MNBL ever?

Agent of erebos seems more like a sideboard card. I also reccomend codex shredders.

yeah it didnt hold my formatting, erebos, hedon crab, profane momento, and set adrift were the sideboard. I'll take a look at codex shredders thank you.

But if misstep is unbanned you can just counter it for free

For casual, its fine. Like the other user said, grt codex shredders. You have some decebt creaturrs so its good youre not going for pure mill, which is garbage

Fatal Slip in my aristocrats decks is pretty cool

*Tragic

>thinks that only blue decks would run MMS if it was unbanned

Honestly the meta is at the most stable it's been in a long time and I'm absolutely fine with it. If anything gets hit next ban I'd be surprised and angry

Tbh the fact that opt got reprinted could mean that serum visions may get the axe.

It would be retarded but I could see wizards doing it.

I actually wouldn't put it past them, especially if they want to nerf storm without completely destroying it.
But knowing MaRo and the DCI I think they're just going to ban Gifts Ungiven, but I just really hope not.
They meta's honestly at a pretty good point, it's not like when we had the Infect/Dredge/Burn meta that took over, there's a nice mix of midrange, combo, control, and tempo and nothing is too prevelant

modern classic

This. Path might give them a land but at least it kills shit. Lightning Bolt is worthless and I feel like half the time I'm fighting Tasigur or the fuckin' fish so Fatal Push just feels bad

>using nu bolt without the flavor text
>not using old bolt

>needing flavour text

Shit taste desu

>needing text

>needing cards

>needing

why would Communists support Obama when it's Trump whose best friends with Putin?

Augur of skulls

why would retards post bait on Veeky Forums when they could go back to /pol/?

*Tragic Push

>I'll Push your guy
>Then Push your other guy

>Then cast terminate on that other guy

I know it's mana intensive, but why doesn't this card see more play?

Because of what you just said

My Guess would be his competition in the 3 drop slot. with the 3 most used cards being lili of the veil, lili last hope, and gatekeeper.
plus dropping him turn 3 allows the opponent to deal with it before you gain value off it unless you're running slaughter pacts for removal. to get immediate value would be turn 4 with push which has to compete with kalitas, phyrexian obliterator, or blacks other 4 drop beaters along with damnation. but that's just my take on it. hell proxy some up throw them in a deck you think it'd be good in and see how it runs, reach your own conclusions. who knows you might end up with some spicy tech no one expects.

I think it would work best in a BUG junk like deck where you can drop him in and protect him while 2 for 1ing your opponent with every removal spell.

Snap is mana intensive, I imagine if umezawa had effective evasion it would see much more play.

I'd say t5 he's good, as you could cast him, push something in responce to opponents removal, then cast a stubby d from the yard as a surprise gotchya in dgs.

snappy has flash, is 1 mana less, can target sorcery cards, and doesn't require an opponent's creature dying

Yes, but snap is etb, while umezawa can be used multiple times a turn. Situationally one can be substantially better than the other.

snappy is simply more versatile, and umezawa is competing with really strong cards for the 3 CMC black spot like
said

of course you are right, in particular circumstances, umezawa could be better than a LotV, but more often then not, you're going to wish you're slamming a lili down rather than an umezawa

I agree turn 5 would be the best place to play him. but what would you cut out of gds in place of him? Is he main deck material or cheeky side tech for the mirror and the ability to out grind?

Id say budget replacement for LOTV in mb, then as cheeky sb tech for midrange mirrors.

I imagine that junk/jund lists would like to run umezawa, and that BUx lists would run him with snap to keep the best of both worlds.

Well, go ahead and playtest and see what you think.

You only have so much mana. Turn two you arent going to play snappy probably because nothing if immediate value is in your graveyard. Turn three, possibly. Same with umezawa: Turn 3 umezawa is unrealistic due to what he does. Snapcaster is barely a creature; more of an instant spell. Umezawa needs to remain on the field and you need to be knocking over creatures to get the effect. You very well may not be up against a deck that is creature heavy or worth wasting energy/mana taking out their creatures anyway... better off spending that mana (and the mana you spent on umezawa) on some other more appropriate effect(s)

So this is what I've come up with, any suggestions?

How does the Balista's counters work if they're sniping something?

Like if they're removing 2 counters to snipe my 2/2, would I be able to draw 2 cards off Shaper's or is it technically one instance?

they can't take more than one counter off at a time due to how the ability is worded, it's all 1 by 1. So, yes, you get two cards.

Ah okay. Thanks user.

added flayers and trimmed some things

forgot image

opt 2
visions 3

imo

3 opt due to being able to recast with umezawa, will probably swap for 3serum 2opt if it isn't worth it later on in playtesting.

no they fucking don't

4 delve creatures seems greedy
pretty sure you want creeping tar pit
should mana leak be supreme will, since it's good with umezawa even with no spell on the stack? does this deck want thought scour?

desu i feel like red would be real good with toshiro, because of kolaghan's command.

May replace a gurmag with another flayer, and 3 mana for either of those effects is a bit too costly. If you were to turn toshiro in grixis, you could easily have him replace lili in gds for the mirror or as a really good budget replacement, or as a 2-3x in grixis control.

My god, I did not realize how easy it was to fuck up piloting a control deck

Olivia Voldaren is amazing though

Any good mono-black or dual colour infect decks?

Good luck finding a deck that doesn't fold to fatal push

I really wish that WU Swords with Invisible Stalker and Etched Champion was a thing

Leaks should really be more removal, maelstrom pulse and dismember/victim of the night/go for the throat. Cryptic can always bounce+tap, but counters don't gel with LotV.
Thought scour is crucial if you want to run that many delve creatures. Either swap out opt or trim down the fatties.
You can trim down your shocks and even one of the fetches for darkslick shores and creeping tar pit.

My deck's win condition is a 2/2 with protection from colored spells, or a lovely girl who found a bridge welding a duelity themed sword; good luck pushing them over.

my new stompy deck is t2

c u in top 8 cunts

>Path might give them a land

>Banned means the card was at least tested in the format (DRS, Blazing shoal etc)

Not necessarily, it means "would, if not for the ban list, be otherwise legal in the format"

There was a banlist at moderns inception

youre either new or a fucking moron if you think mental misstep needs to be unbanned in modern.