Murrica in a Medieval Fantasy

What would it be like to have every state in America be a kingdom or duchy in a medieval fantasy setting?

>Texas is the land of roving nomads with gigantic herds who bow to no king
>West Virginia is the home of savage hill tribes who only stop their perpetual infighting to repel invaders
>Alaska is a frozen wasteland inhabited by giant beasts and inhabited by pockets of hardy tribes who hunt them
>California is a Magocracy where a council of wizards rules instead of a king
>New York is a merchant city and one of key financiers to other kingdoms, with a vast parallel state run by underground criminals

Other urls found in this thread:

users.erols.com/mwhite28/medvam/index.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=vEVJ_48YgTg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>West Virginia is the home of savage hill tribes who only stop their perpetual infighting to repel invaders

I live way out in BFE West Virgina, that's pretty much how it already is in real life.

>What would it be like to have every state in America be a kingdom or duchy in a medieval fantasy setting?
>Murrica
more like orc kingdom, topkek

63!!!

How many times have you made this thread already?

Mark Twain already made it cleat that Connecticut is Camelot.

>New Mexico is a lawless expanse filled to the brim with criminals, mercenaries and vagabonds
>Florida is a huge swamp that serves as a vast prison colony

Just this once.

users.erols.com/mwhite28/medvam/index.htm

Just pieces but worth checking out.

Missouri is farmland occupied by halflings and humans. Its probably regularly raided by orcs and goblins.

District of Columbia is a massive dungeon.

Basically Monkey Dust's take on American history epics.

youtube.com/watch?v=vEVJ_48YgTg

Washington/Oregon are decentralised merchant republics

that was reallly cool, thanks for sharing

Are we assuming that there's no atlantic trade? Cause if so, new york would not be nearly as important a trade city. Chicago would probably be bigger since it's more centralized and also close to the great lakes and the mississippi

Taking inspiration from The continent is split up into 8 zones
The Eastern Woodland zone: Feudal Monarchies, balkanized, like medieval Germany

The Eastern Coast: Many merchant republics or empires and democratic city-states.

The Great Lakes: A blend between the Eastern Coast and the Eastern Woodlands, like Scandinavia and the Baltic coast. Expect Vikings.

The Gulf Coast: Feudal monarchies and merchant republics, but the heat and humidity introduce many parasites and natural disasters, making it similar medieval India or Indonesia. Very important in trade, as it contains the mouth of the Mississippi river, which is the main trade route for the entire eastern woodlands region. Also brings salt and tropical fruit into the mainland, which is very important to the freshwater Great Lakes Region.

The Plains Zone: Mongolians and other horse archers. They ransom trade between the East and the west and periodically try to invade the Eastern woodland monarchies and burn the forests and farms to turn them into more grassland.

The Great Basin and Southern California: Centered around the great salt lake, it contains hydraulic empires like ancient Egypt or Mesopotamia. These hydraulic empires are totally dependent on irrigation and thus centralizing all military, diplomatic and religious authority into single people or institutions. Utah especially is important as it is the civilized link between the wine fields and salt deposits of the west and the east. Where there are no rivers, steppe nomads run rampant preying on all trade in the hot desert.

The Central Valley: Contains hydraulic empires, except even more despotic and decadent thanks to the total isolation and protection on all sides and the extreme fertility of the central valley and Mediterranean climate.
(1/2)

Please that someone used the input.

I'd suggest that the Ohio-Mississippi should be the center of something, not necessarily unified, but clearly something to base political power(s), up to... I dunno exactly, not sure where barges can go up the rivers, but I guess not that much distant to the great lakes even without canals. Shit would be as important as the Mediterrenean in roman times for commerce on a continental scale, and it also has nice historical instances that really happend before.

Coastal Washington, Oregon and British Columbia: More Maritime empires and merchant republics, except much richer due to trade with the central valley and protection from the rocky mountains. Many democratic city-states and philosophers writing books and exporting them across the rest of the continent.

Also another note on a region, Texas could be a combination between gulf coast, feudal, mongol, or hydraulic empire depending on the situation.

There could be major conflict coming from disasters in the gulf, wars and espionage on the eastern coast, naval wars along the gulf coast and into the Caribbean, piracy in the gulf coast and Caribbean, slave revolts in the tropical plantations, monarchical wars and crusades in the feudal eastern woodlands, viking invasions from the great lakes, mongol invasions from the plains, mongol disruption of trade routes from the west, mongol invasion and trade rout disruption of the great basin, dynastic struggles in the great basin, outward invasions and subjugation of plains people from the hydraulic empires of the great basin, slave revolts from the great basin, and the same but worse for the central valley, outward invasion by the central valley, foreign sponsored revolutions and slave revolts in the central valley, and of course more espionage and naval wars between coastal Washington and the central valley.
There can be dungeons in the abandoned concrete jungle of the major cities, old, advanced technology discovered.

Honestly, the fact that North America has such diversity of biomes just makes it such an ideal place for stories and settings

maybe semi-unified like the Holy Roman Empire?

>slaves in tropical plantations

Where from? No Africa to get them. I'd stick with serfs if needs be, and even then probably the need for sugar and the like isn't that high. The blacks trade was surprisngly global, especially for the fact that shit got exported.

I like the idea of a naval caribbean empire plundering the south.

Or the hanseatic leauge.

What about religion?

>where are the slaves from?

They are from the Caribbean or Central America or South America, could be serfs too,but I would make that more common in the northern feudal areas. Slaves are very economical for cash crops like tobacco and sugar, as seen from history.

>Hanseatic Leauge
could definitely be there, maybe more focused on the great lakes or New England.

>Religion?
You base the area's religion based off of its counterparts in history that I layed out in the region descriptions.
The website I was taking inspiration from had a very interesting take on Christianity in the eastern woodlands. After the government partially collapsed from the apocalypse, it mostly receded away from everywhere but some city-states on the eastern seaboard. What did happen though was the government tried to unify the denominations and encourage religion, and through supreme court cases having to do with religious morality, over time, the supreme court turned into the equivalent of the Vatican and was became very influential toward it's local chapters in the rest of the country.

Also in cali they all turned into scientologists

Reminds me of those Carcer Americana threads
I liked those threads

It's getting really boring, burgers

Yeah, nah. You're dealing with same tech level societies. You can' have a GREAT number of slaves by boat raidning, the barbary corsairs couldn't manage that and they knew their shit.

Maybe is tropical SA sells it slaves (which was why Africa, indeed started all tha shit, involutarily) but don't expect the atlantic trade redux.

Oddly enough the Mississippi might be a better a way to get them (well, the western basini, Missouri and the like going on the grasslands). There would be and historical parallel in the russian slave trade up to... I think 1600s.
Protip: it's easy to ride villages in plains, not so much craggy islands with a navy on their own.

Arizona has many sparse towns, filled with prospectors looking for a quick buck, settlers looking for a new life, and criminals trying to hide their activities. The vast expanse of desert is infested with outlaws and the bounty hunters trying to bring them in. Up north, in the snowy forest regions, lives a sizable population of native elves. The most prosperous area in that time is a Dwarven mining colony known as "Dzerom"

The mainland is certainly more powerful than tropical, FLAT MARSHLANDS that are constantly ravaged by hurricanes and disease outbreaks. The mainland could certainly obtain many slaves from Caribbean islands

I'd think the contrary: we're positing rival navies, and the islands are oddly enough LESS exposed to shit like malaria (being less flat tha Florida or Louisiana).

Now maybe if they're divided, true dat, but see the point about navies.

Can we at least keep the Mormons?

If a big island like Cuba or Haiti/Dominica gets unified and starts to develope a navy, then since it is an island, I guess you would be right in it having a larger navy and being able to defend itself. But the smaller islands, any pirates or merchant states, or large sections of big centralized islands would still probably have slaves farming cash crops, and/or exporting the slaves to the gulf coast

Also if sugar adn whatnot are luxury crops, wouldn't that mean the regions producing them be rich?

Yeah, they would be rich

If you are going for a post-apocalyptic medieval America then yeah, maybe it would turn into a very hierarchical, centralized religion in an ancient Egypt/ ancient Mesopotamia analogue around the great salt lake

Texan here. I actually like the idea of the Texas area not being a unified empire or nation. Keep it a mish-mash of different government type, religions, and ways of life.

On the balance of that, I think it'd be neat of the tribes and peoples living in the area shared a common mythos. Be it some sort of legends or childrens fairy tales, the idea that once upon a time very long ago a great civilization once occupied that land. Most of the "modern" civilizations claim in some part to be the decedent of that ancient power and its a bit of a sore point between the tribes and peoples.

It help the "Texans" keep a not-us mentality towards outsiders but at the same time give them a deeply ingrained reason to be cold towards other "Texans" from a different region.

Check out the fluff for the After the End mod for Crusader Kings 2. It's not what you want but it is pretty good.

Guess i'll throw my home state in the ring since it hasn't been mentioned.

>The County of Maine was split off from the Kingdom of Massachusetts as part of a treaty.
>Ties to the old Kingdom were never very strong so nobody really cared, heck some of the Maine aristocracy was happy that it happened.
>War over disputed northern territory with the Empire of Quebec happened which allowed the County to expand.
>Despite it's low population, the rough country bred strong warriors that used guerrilla warfare to make up for small numbers.
>The County was now larger than the old Kingdom ever was and it's ruler was a King in his own right but old Treaties prevented him from titling himself as such.
>Until the Lobster Nation attacked
>The Lobster People were tough, their shells made them impervious to certain weapons and their claws could cut through iron.
>The Kingdoms of Massachusetts and Duchy of New Hampshire were on the verge of suing for piece
>The Great fortress of Boston was short on food and soon to fall.
>Until the Armies of Maine marched south
>Taking advantage of the slow speed of the lobsters, the Maine guerrillas used hit and run tactics to massacre the lobsters, losing hardly a man.
>Soon the Clawed Menace was chased back into the sea, the Siege of Boston was lifted and finally the Count of Maine was formally allowed to be named a King.
>Nowadays The Kingdom of Maine has become a popular place for the nobility of foreign lands to come and hunt, as it's forests are so plentiful with game that folks are tripping practically tripping deer, turkeys and pheasant.

Kentucky really wouldn't change. This place is filled with caves systems, abandoned mines, ghost towns, and a fuck ton of farm land.
Throw in some goblins and skeletons and no one would bat an eye.

>>Texas is the land of roving nomads with gigantic herds who bow to no king
>who bow to no king
>Implying this won't apply to the whole of the US

I cannot imagine a situation where Mainers can accomplish something that Bostonians couldn't.

Maine isn't some distant, remote deathworld hellscape wherein the Empire's Sardaukar Warriors can be trained. It's fucking Maine. It gets the exact same weather as Massachusetts and has the exact same terrain and features (and for that matter the parts of Canada that border Maine aren't any different from Maine, either, so I can't imagine Mainers being better at something than Quebecois). It gets cold winters and hot summers and pollen everywhere in Spring and an Autumn that can't make up its mind as to what season it actually wants to be. Whoop-de-doo, all this applies to Massachusetts too.

The only reason why it has a lower population is because of the vagaries of history and colonization that saw Boston and Massachusetts as a whole established first and settled first.

>Also if sugar adn whatnot are luxury crops, wouldn't that mean the regions producing them be rich?

Obscenely so. During the Revolutionary War, the island of Jamaica was worth more to the British than the whole of Canada combined.

>Mongolians and other horse archers
Why go for Mongols when we've got Native Americans?

Seems interesting, so bump.

Quite a few times.
At least this one has magic.

it beats the
>I want a realistic post apocalyptic medieval American fantasy setting!
>Everyone has forgotten gunpowder.
>But they still worship presidents as gods!
>Literal Minnesota Vikings! Lolololololol

WE

You could do something cool with imagining Native Americans advancing to medieval tech in some parts of the continent, and use all their myths and legendary monsters as inspiration... I would have to research that a lot though. Pic related is a start

>Literal Minnesota Vikings! Lolololololo
And Somalis, Viets, Ethiopians both kinds of indians and Celts.

Fantasy Minneapolis would be a pretty wild looking place.