EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Going Wide Edition

Previous: >55652086

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: Who is your favorite token-based commander?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/02-10-17-ruric-stax/
youtube.com/watch?v=Bcg5rN-jlaw
deckstats.net/decks/30661/494335-pestistax-the-reckoning/en
articles.edhrec.com/in-the-margins-clone/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/stax-on-fuck-it-stax-off/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Any stax player here??? Currently playing ruric stax and looking for some spicy MLD. Will include list soon.

GISA NUMBER ONE

What a garbage card

What a garbage card

>not using it as super duper secret tech
pathetic

there aren't enough en-kor creatures to go with my stuffy doll :(

>thread question

Can't decide between Hapatra or Locust God

What's scarier, flying/haste 1/1s or deathtouch 1/1s??

hapatra is way scarier if you're going the COMBO LIST

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/02-10-17-ruric-stax/

Ruric Stax boys should I go heavier on like thorn of amethyst and trinisphere type spells? Rip it a new one.

Locust god is just every UR wheels deck ever made. At least Hapetra is fresh.

What's the combo list?

>Muh token commander
Love tokens. One of my favorite play styles is to establish a board and assess the perfect time to strike. BW Daxos, Riku Tokens, Titania, Edgar. Thinking about Mirri tokens because of that sweet, sweet Nacatl War-Pride tech.

>the most unintuitive combo commander in Izzet, even more linear than Nin
>or Golgari control with a fresh spin that makes a lot of interesting options available while being strong in her own right

jam that fucker full of tutors and buried alive, then buried alive devoted druid, channeler initiate, and necrotic ooze. drop your reanimate spell of choice on the ooze, give it haste, and make infinite mana and snakes

Why the hate for bug man?

i think people hate locust god because every locust god deck is exactly the same

But that's the same for hapatra too....

Oldzuri elfball or Newzuri funtime? Which has a better time against Mizzix or Inalla?

Since I'm asking, what are some of the better commanders against those two in general?
Winning isn't everything but I'd prefer to not build something that just folds to the guy I'm going to be playing against most often.

I like Trostani, because her goal is to make BIG tokens rather than lots of little shitters.

but hapatra is a brand new deck unlike any other while locust god is nekusar-lite

Because he's Tooth and Nail levels of boring due to being extremely volatile AND demanding a very specific deck structure to be anything near consistent. Once a Locust God deck goes through any amount of significant tuning it does the same shit every time. Either you go infinite before turn 8 or you fucking die, no in-between.

Hapatra's got combo, control, tokens, and snake tribal.

Because it's just izzet wheels. We've had izzet wheels for a long ass time and locust god adds nothing to it other than a new wincon of actually moving to combat. They're not particularly fun to play against because at seemingly any time they could just drop a lab-man and draw their deck or Niv or now Locust.

>Thread Question: Who is your favorite token-based commander?

It's great when you have like 20 of his tokens out and if somebody threatens to wipe the board you can one shot them because of it. Or even better, have a token doubler out and equip Blade of Selves to him. Then you can clear your way for attacks, or even just kill somebody right out. With enough players, you can do both!

Edgar! It feels so good getting free dudes.

Fuck the haters. Locust God is glorious in playability, flavor and aesthetic. Hapatra is cool don't get me wrong, but Locust God is a fucking beast of an engine.

Plus he's got my favorite victory theme ever.
youtube.com/watch?v=Bcg5rN-jlaw

Playing golgari and it not being Gitrog is nerfing the fun for yourself.

Because they have never cast firestorm for 60.

Remember you must have 60 targets for that.

Yep. Thankfully it pairs well with making a shit ton of locusts. Also the playgroups I have actually firestormed off in tended to have plenty of creatures/tokens. That'd be so busted if it didn't need X targets.

You can just nuke your own bugs. Doesn't seem that hard to do in Locust God.

JUND LANDFALL COMMANDER WHEN REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Best Partner commander duo? Best Lieutenants?

>Best Partner commander duo?

I have literally never see anybody run partners for Commander's except for colors.

>Best Lieutenants?

Thunderfoot Baloths. Any other answer is wrong.

Big Bug gives something Izzet sorely lacked before, which is the ability to play incrementally. Before, if you didn't go off, you'd just be spinning your wheels and producing nothing but smoke. Now you get a lasting resource you can use for all sorts of things, offensive and defensive. It gives you a physical presence rather than the suggestion of being able to pull damage out of your ass.

Tyrant's Familiar is a close second.

Hapatra has a ridiculous potential for combos.

Devoted Druid + Quillspike = arbitrarily large creature + endless snake tokens. Add Altar of the Brood for F U N

Mikaeus + sac engine + any persist creature = endless snakes, EtB triggers, death triggers

Botfly infestation + Altar of the Brood = endless mill

Black sun Zenith is a wincon by itself

Bastion Protector & Bloodsworn Steward offer the most bang/buck for Akiri/Bruse Tarl

Are there any fun and simple commanders I can build for $50 or so? I'm looking to build something for my little brother.

>3 mana
>5/5 with super trample

yeah such garbage

>staxx
>no white OR black

How could you make staxx without the the two best staxx colors? Holy fuck you're a waste of skin.

Phage is not a viable commander unless you have countermeasures against losing the game.

Wow did you work that out all by yourself? What gave it away, was it the way the card explicitly says you lose the game if you don't have countermeasures against losing the game?

deckstats.net/decks/30661/494335-pestistax-the-reckoning/en

Here's my staxx-lite deck, its fairly effective and at least it uses the main staxx cards. WBR are the best colors for staxx, only other color you'd like would be blue for Mana Vortex.

The one armed man told me after I drank some shnops.

Krenko mob boss

>Black sun Zenith is a wincon by itself

how exactly? wont it kill her?

Sure but she's cheap to recast and you'll still get the snake tokens even if she dies from the Zenith.

>and you'll still get the snake tokens even if she dies from the Zenith.

OH FUCK

>when you declare attackers I path throm...
>I FLING

Ah thromok, even if you can't get him off to eat the whole table you can still over run with amillion tokens

Thromok into chandras ignition. "I summon a really big wurm, the wurm then blows up and kills everyone"

If only Diamond Valley weren't $400, I expect it'd be a Thromok staple.

How did I do

I almost got Sensei's top

I use this in Romnath with vigor. Shits fucking clownshoes and has gotten me a few wins.

Question about mono-green Selvala: should I even bother going elfball or just go with stompy? It's so easy to go infinite with her, so I'm not sure if it even matters.

use Adun Oakenshield and add every tutor that puts cards into the graveyard

I just built a deck with a total value of about $3 out of purely bulk. Maze's End is about a third of the deck's value and the only wincon. I just wanted a deck I could play without sleeves. Hopefully what the deck lacks in power will be countered by the psychological effect of watching me shuffle my naked deck. I plan to be intentionally rough with it and jam edges together.

>used to always play control
>used to blue mage, started on esper
>now have 2 token aggro decks and hardly play control anymore
>all my decks are red and everyone considers me the red player of the group
What did you fuckers do to me

Why did you pay so much for Temporal Extortion and Rhystic Study?

>oh man remember that guy at the lgs?
>yeah the one who played with an unsleeved deck full of garbage cards like maze's end?
>yeah man, poor autist

How many "unlimited hand size" cards should I run in an Izzet deck?

Thought Vessel and that's it. Reliquary Tower not producing colored mana is actually a huge issue when you're playing Mizzix or something that reduces the cost of spells.

Preferably the 2-3 artifacts

Besides the obligatory cards from Ixalan, what other cards would be good for a Naya dinosaur commander, also I plan on using Grimlock, but have Gishath on the side in case I play with a group that gets anal about fun commanders so abusing the Transformer and Vehicle aspects of grimlock isn't ideal

two but they should be tutorable

your creatures arent really that good so I'd add Collective Blessing and other anthem effects like Obelisk of Urd to make your creatures at least huge
Nylea to give everything trample
Pyrohemia for triggering enrage
Domri Rade for the occasional draw and getting rid of other creatures
Raptor Hatchling+Warstorm Surge+Eldrazi Monument+Fires of Yavimaya= Infinite tokens

also, Chameleon Colossus, Taurean Mauler, and Mirror Entity

>lasting five spells in an edh turn.

This card will die for free.

The benefit of Reliquary Tower is that you can hold off on playing a land, then dig for it without worrying about keeping mana open. You'll also eventually hit your signet and then it can even contribute.

the good ones

my mizzix "if I had all the money in the world I would buy this" deck only runs one
if you have access to the entirety of magic for your izzet deck you wont have room for any of those cards except reliquary tower

hell my decks also opting for the no infinites route so there would STILL be more options

>try to make a flavorful bolas deck
>it just ends up being grixis superfriends

god damn that sucks, its not even running every tezzeret just two, and no sarkhan the mad either (thought I should probably find a way to sneak it in cause of his synergy with nicole bowlass

>tfw you have to take apart your Nicol Bolas PW deck because every retard built one after Amonkhet came out

But why, why not just keep it together and wait for the flavor of the month to pass by.

I know that feel, it was my baby when me and my edgy friend wanted to see who could build the most raidboss deck

I went with bolas he went with kozilek
his was more "colorless goodstuff" than anything and mine is the superfriends/toolbox since it runs a TON of tutors

I feel a little bad tutoring for urborg coffers almost every game but I really need it, it usually leads to my next tutor being cruel entertainment tho since I hate just tutoring for wins

I dont even play infinites, I think my least fair wincon is probably torment of hailfire and I feel dirty for it every time since its an easy "im gonna lose next turn better just pull the trigger and win now" card

This has to be my favorite EDH deck I have played.

>Wurmcalling
>for 31

>OP question
playing on a budget, only expensive cards being procession, quandry and necropotence, but i really enjoy playing it

How do i build her? I want a neko deck.

Good for

Ashling the Pilgrim+ 99 mountains

Go nuclear all day, every day.

You forgot valakut

How new are you at magic?

anyone else really like the ixalan flip lands? I bought them all just for how nice they look, with some actually going into decks immediately. (Cradle, Maze, Wellspring, Dagger, Azcanta, Amulet, and the vampire one for edgar)

Having a second gaia's cradle that can be fetched with enchantment tutors is nice.

Jund good stuff.

I think they are all great cards that will be seen in many decks for a long time. Foils will likely be very valuable.

Not him but doing this. Cheers bud.

Anyone else know where to find tasteful alters or proxies? I have been looking for awhile and cant find any good/tasteful alters or custom arts of Sakashima The Imposter which is a shame because it has slowly became my favorite commander.

post list? Thinking of trying out Sakashima in the future. its certainly my favorite RK Post art.

sorry dont have a list on tappedout right now may get one up later today thought. Its mostly just clones and then a few classic blue things like expropriate and the like thought. If you want a general idea look at this article. Its pretty close to this list minus black.
articles.edhrec.com/in-the-margins-clone/

I used to make digital alter but I lost my dumb template that I used in photoshop. Just find one online and make your own, it's not difficult.

Thread Question: Oketra, its basically white weenie in EDH form but she doesn't have to go wide with tokens, can also go for a voltron strategy. Also love putting Pariah on her.

>Who is your favorite token-based commander?
trostani, my groups hate of infect and combo basically makes her the best deck in my playgroup

i always wonder what kind of shitty LGS people like you go to, my LGS is fine and even though i rarely play there its always fun

Some people are just located in areas where the only LGS in a feasible range is shitty. My LGS has people fucking vaping in it and it is not very clean.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/stax-on-fuck-it-stax-off/
Been trying to make Karn Stax work

We made you a better person.