EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Disappointment Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: What legend do you most want to gain a new or redone version?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/26-09-17-daxos-enchants/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/karador-ghost-mane/
blogs.magicjudges.org/rulestips/2012/08/multiplayer-monday-what-happens-when-a-player-leaves-the-game/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I like that he's not some uncastably expensive card like Ur-Dragon just because of power levels.

Anyway, my pick is Ludevic (though I don't hate his current card the way everyone else does). Ith would be cool too.

A black version of Akroma to fit in my Kaalia deck.

post HARDCORE COMMANDERS

>I like that he's not some uncastably expensive card like Ur-Dragon just because of power levels.

Well, I fucking hate that.

Is the vampire precon from this year worth 50$ ?

You can go to a target and buy it for MSRP.

would you say it’s worth MSRP tho?

Sure. If you want to build vampires or need a Teferi's Protection.

You are not the first to dream it.

A new version of the old elder dragons. Are they still alive in the lore?

Nicky B killed them all.

Teferi is dead but they still made a card of him. New elder dragon cards would be cool. I would like to see how chromium would look with new art (please no cgi, please).

Nicol didn't kill any of the other five known Elder Dragons

Chromium (aka Chromium Rhuell) was killed by Tevesh Szat during the Summit of the Null Moon at the end of the Ice Age. Eventually Ravidel (a Planeswalker who never made the cards) used his corpse to make a "Planar Barge" that let him bring an army with him while planeswalking.

His mate, Piru (Who never got a card) was killed by Dakkon Blackblade.

Arcades Sabboth was summoned by Leshrac into a duel against Kristiana of the Woods and perished in that fight.

Palladia Mors was locked in eternal slumber by Chromium Rhuell

Vaevictis Asmadi fought Palladia Mors, but Palladia reflected one of his spells that caused him to vanish.

Since Nicol claims that no others of his kind exist, we can assume that the reflected spell killed Vaevictis and Palladia has since expired in her slumber.

Notably four of the six known elders are siblings: Piru isn't and Vaevictis was the cousin of the other four printed Elders.

Got River's Rebuke and Overflowing Insight, should I put them in my Thrasios Vial Smasher or throw them away

Why did I think that? Who told me these lies?

How is my mana base?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/26-09-17-daxos-enchants/

Shame Rashida couldn't get in on one of them.

It might be a common misconception for those entering without prerev lore who only know that Nicol's a pretty bad dude and proudly the last of his kind.

Are the Tarkir elders on the same level as the Dominaria elders?

What about the Tarkir elder Dragons?

those are only elder dragons in the sense they were the (first?) made by the dragon tempests (aka Ugin). The Dominarian Elder Dragons are the real deal.

I think its safe to assume that Chromium and Arcades are dead. But since Vaectis simply vanished, and we got no feedback on Palladia slumber, Bolas could just be inflating his ego without further proof.

No. Ugin is above the tarkir dragons, and Bolas is above Ugin. Since all the 5 of the dominaria elder dragons used to have similar powerlevels, I think it's safe to say that the Dominaria Elder Dragons are stronger than the Tarkir ones.

Absolutely

I know this doesn't help with your question, but nice choice in commander. I really dig that cards art

Grixis Ludevic with some kind of reanimator effect would be sweet.

I honestly like him as UR, since he was the more spellslingy of the mad scientists. He also did all kinds of not Zombie stuff like Narstad Scrapper, Bone to Ash, Hysterical Blindness, Ludevic's Abomination.

But I do want something Graveyardy.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/karador-ghost-mane/
Here's my Karador deck, just finished putting it together. All the cards in the 'acquire' section are cards i've purchased already.
I wanted to be able to pull off combos with this deck, but I didn't want this to turn into a super-competitive deck where I optimize to only combo off. Haven't had much play with the deck yet, though, so that will hopefully give some insight.
Besides the mana-base, some cards i'm unsure about are Mirari's Wake, Scavenging Ooze, and Jarad. I'm going to have to make some cuts to fit in all that I need to, though.
Any suggestions/ideas?

>Thread question
A werewolf legendary that doesn't suck ass. Huntmaster of the Fells should have been the legendary and Ulrich was a mistake.

Why was this thread made?

just ordered pic related for old-bordered deck

anyone some spicy tech within these constraints?

>What legend do you most want to gain a new or redone version?

Gonna cheat a little bit and say I want a new Legendary Sliver, specifically the Black Sliver.

We have a legendary sliver accompanying every other color except black.

White - Hivelord - Indestructble
Blue - Overlord - MC and Specific-Tutors
Red - Queen - Make Doodles
Green - Legion - BIG DUDES

I want the Black Sliver.

>Making tokens is somehow red, and not green or white
>Tutoring is somehow tied to blue of all things

No. All colors have tokens and tutors, but tokens as a mechanic are green/white and tutors are black. If you want to get further into it, tutoring for creatures in particular is green.

Indestructible is now also a very black and green thing

Pumping is also very much red and white.

Honestly all the colors are pretty well represented for slivers

Teferi isn't dead though.

Should I go Hapatra or Scarab God for -1/-1 shenanigans?

Hapatra. Scarab is more for a RB control deck than just doing -1/-1 things.

Borrowing 100,000 arrows and tech like it might be spicy.

It's not like huntmaster would be a better commander than ulrich by any great margin, both of them are better suited for 20 life 1v1, huntmaster is just the better card, not necessarily a better commander

Scorpion god

Yeah, that complaint never made sense to me. EDH is just a tough format for the way night-and-day was implemented. Though I do like that mechanic (unlike most people), it is just hard to put to use in EDH.

What Allies shouldn't be in 5 color Allies? What good cards in U and B should be (they seem to have the least good Allies)?

I'm having a hard time maintaining color balance in this deck.

You honestly shouldnt maintain color balance. You should lean more heavily on one or two colors, especially in five color.

But autism... ugh. I don't know why I can't get over this hurdle. All my five color decks were pretty even and worked okay, but I guess that's not saying much. And Allies are super skewed towards white and green.

We can't cure your autism. We also can't print more allies.

Deal with it nerd.

Dang. But I think I figured it out. The blue portion will be clones.

I love artifacts.

I've got a sharuum deck, darretti, and breya.

What other artifact centric decks are there that's worth trying? Karn? Memnarch or muzzio?

>4 artifact decks

I think you need some bane of progress in your life

No thanks

Aren't Bolas and Ugin pretty close in terms of power? Ugin would have beaten him if it wasn't for Yasova Dragonclaw, right?

The real comedy is that Grimlock is the best Werewolf commander.

Captain needed to be at least 3 less shitty.

It was so close to being a good card.

No I mean you should be the one to play bane of progress this time. Put down the trinkets and toys and play green

Is there a green artifact Commander?

Closest thing is Oviya. Glissa is the best if you count multicolor.

Oviya?

I play this card face down as a 2/2 creature and end my turn.

Ral Zarek

here's a token friend : )

In response I tap for 8 and morph Ugin, The Colourless and use his +1 ability.

Pls no custom senpai we got enough issues without extra cards

Using my floating 4 mana I cast Steady Progress and proliferate Ugin to 7 loyalty counters then Lightning Bolt my face, bring my life total to -1 and ending the game.

what does /edhg/ think of planar chaos as a stax card?

Doesn't make sense because his ability would still be sorcery only noob

would probably just be better as a blue red chaos

or you could play a less randumb version with just things like planar chaos, grip of chaos, psychic battle, zurs weirding, stranglehold, mindlock orb, and moons for control and then have your wincon on the side

well im trying build daretti stax so no blue unfortunately
just wondering if it would work well in the deck

She was doomed the moment they gave her the 2015 R/W Commander's Namesake. For the activation cost that wipe should be asymmetrical.

don't forget to include your Boseiju, Who Shelters All

seems almost playable if you have a lot of planeswalkers and activated ability mana sinks. Stax is all about breaking the symmetry and this card doesn't leave you much room to do that since you can't control which of your spells resolve. If you dropped it with some great permanents in play that can continuously generate value without needing to resolve anymore spells, it could be decent

Daretti would be interesting because you could be using his recursion ability to get permanents into play without casting spells, also if your artifact spells were countered by planar chaos, you could get them back with daretti

I still think all in all it's a no because half the time it's just going to die on your upkeep anyway, seems bad

>be xenagod
>have 14 mana on turn 5
>have Xenagod, Garruk Wildspeaker, Oracle of Mul Daya as nonlands
>cast last card in hand, Song of Dryads
>cast for 2 mana
>goes to next guy's turn, Neheb the Eternal player, now a Forest player
>tap 3rd mana because I realize Song costs 3, not 2
>Neheb player says it didn't happen because I didn't pay correct mana

What do here?

Everyone told Neheb to fuck off because I clearly had the mana.

I suddenly appreciate the ugin we got way more

Clever girl.

Call the judge and get a DQ.

Neheb player is being a whiny punk, and if he wanted to call you on it he should have done so at the proper time.

I would love a new Sheoldred

nothings worse than cunt players who try to avoid losses through sketch means, I had a guy call me a cheater back during a tarkir prerelease cause i had 4 stubborn denials in my deck and drew them all

one of the employees told the guy to shut it since I was a regular, and it was the employee who was known for being a pretty strict stoic dude too so even I was surprised

In most competitive RELs, you'd get a warning for game play error and be forced to tap the correct amount of mana. Nothing changed in such a way they'd need to rewind the game, so basically it'd play out exactly like it did.

Agreed, any judge would be ok with that. Paying mana costs is obligatory, so you can't just not pay the mana to have the thing fizzle. Since you clearly had the mana, and in that situation it wouldn't make a difference, it shouldn't be a problem. Also, it is the job of ALL players to keep up with the gamestate, not just yours.

That's shit.

What are some edh-only deck types/commanders.

So far I have found group hug to be a fairly interesting one. Stax/slug would not be appreciated in my playgroup, chaos and wheels would get old real fast, voltron is just big boy boggles. Am I missing something? I want something that I can't find in other formats.

wrath control in edh is probably the hardest deck to consistently win with but my fav archetype which isnt very available in other formats save for modern and even then its not deaths shadow so it isnt good

etb jerkoffs with brago is something else not really available in other formats, tribals besides elves, goblins and merfolk, rakdos suicidal, sakashima clones, mass land destruction (but that one will get you banned from the playgroup)

Just played again with Neheb guy.
Actually saw his deck before I killed him, it was cool.
>Neheb blows his hand on everything but gets 60 mana
>has Sensei's Top to show for it
>Play Woodfall Primus, Xenagos costs 9 mana, god damn white players with exile and D.Command.
>Neheb attacks Sisay player, blocks with SOI Sigarda
>Neheb makes mana and plays the 7/5 dragon that can wheel yourself for however much damage target opponent lost
"target"
>SOI Sigarda granted player hexproof, draws 0 because I was dealt 0 damage that turn
>Rishkar's Expertise Primus, draw into Chandra's Ignition, nuke
>Neheb plays Price of Progress, go from 8 to 2, have Fire-Lit Thicket, Homeward Path, Stomping Ground
>Sisay loses to Price of Progress, returns Gauntlet of Power to Neheb
>Neheb gets cast again
>use Mountains to cast Ulamog, destroy Neheb, attack for lethal with Primus that was a vanilla 6/6 for 8.

Mono R almost got there. Almost.
Lesson learned: Play more basics

Step 1: pick random legend
Step 2: if legend strategy can be done in another format, reroll

so when a player dies they get control of things other people took that they own?

that doesnt sound right

how do I play him?

you pay 3RG

So if I have a G/W commander if i generate B mana does it turn colorless?

Which thread is the right one?

Depends on how they got it. If an effect had granted them control of it, like Blatant Thievery and no other effects are dictating who should control it, it returns to its owner. If it entered the battlefield under their control thanks to something like Bribery, it will be exiled.

Forgot to mention that Sisay had Grasp of Fate on Gauntlet of Power.
If Gauntlet shouldn't get returned, didn't matter, Ulamog'd for fun. Zealous Conscripts drawn off of Rishkar's Expertise would have also removed Neheb as a blocker.

Ramp
Play da tokans
Play de worm god
Hit faec

"Another thing to consider is what happens to anything that triggered under that player’s control during this process. Cards with “when this leaves the battlefield” abilities WILL trigger when they leave the game, but strangely enough, if that object was controlled by the player that left the game, the trigger will never go on the stack. This is most relevant when the player in question had cast an Oblivion Ring exiling your permanent. When Oblivion Ring leaves the game, it triggers because it wants to return what was exiled. However, since that trigger would go on the stack under the control of a player no longer in the game, it just does nothing instead, and the exiled object stays in exile forever! I know, sad face, right?"

blogs.magicjudges.org/rulestips/2012/08/multiplayer-monday-what-happens-when-a-player-leaves-the-game/

couldn't have Ulamog'd him

Grasp of Fate is "until", not a trigger. Someone else care to say the correct answer?

Grasp works differently than Oblivion Ring. If a player leaves the game with Grasp, everything under it will return.

>No. Ugin is above the tarkir dragons, and Bolas is above Ugin.
both of them get a boost for being former oldwalkers. not a really fair comparison

See the gatherer rulings for Grasp. It is not ambiguous.

What was the "That Which Was Taken"

Baby Kami Egg, sort of.

should I?

What are you getting?