Is sour grapes a bad villain motivation? It seems more realistic

Is sour grapes a bad villain motivation? It seems more realistic

lol what

>Can't have X
>So hate X, Y, and Z

lol calm down

Sour grapes is cry of weak and incompetent. One such can hardly rise to power and become a legitimate threat to anybody but himself.

lol nigga, just read the fable. Like nigga, it's The Fox and the Grapes, lol.

Just give him an apple

Did someone tell you that it was unrealistic?

You made me smile.

>the villain is motivated because a monkey randomly stolle his cheeze XD

>Is sour grapes a bad villain motivation
THE TALE OF THE FOX AND SOUR GRAPES

>Once upon a time, a fox saw some tasty grapes on a high up vine.
>The fox was unable to climb up to get the grapes.
>"Whatever," said the fox, walking away. "They were probably sour grapes anyway."

THE TALE OF THE PALADIN AND THE WHORE WITH STDS

>Once upon a time there was a paladin who saw a beautiful woman, a courtesan who slept with clientele for thousands of gold at a time.
>The paladin was unable to pay for her services.
>"Whatever," muttered the paladin, walking away. "She probably has mummy's rot, anyway."

I really don't think that sour grapes, or being unable to get something and so abandoning it while badmouthing it, is an effective villain's motivation. It's about giving up and saying something's probably not worth it rather than actually striving to do something. What's the villain going to do, give up on the world and call it a crapshoot while leaving?

It's not a good villain motivation.

It's a good fallen hero motivation.

>this world sucks anyways, The Grand Duke of Global Destruction can do what he wants.

I'm really sick of captcha implying that I don't know what a fucking car is

For a villain motivation it has to go a step further:
"If I can't have it, no one will!"

That's not sour grapes.

But paladins are immune to disease.

What if the fox was a foxgirl? Or a foxgirl (male)?

Does that make the fox a better villain?

>When /pfg/ leaks

Where's the leak?

A better fable for motivation is the fox without a tail. The villain loses something or is disfigured and tries to force everyone else to lose the same thing or become disfigured.

>But paladins are immune to disease.
Nonmagical disease.

Don't feel bad, hardly anyone on Veeky Forums actually plays RPGs these days, so almost no one will recognize that you're just a poser.

What you're thinking of is "Dog in the Manger" and yes, it's a good motivation.

If you're going for petty, the fox the burns down all the grape vineyards is better.

I just says Disease.

Right hereAnd the OP, since it's an infamous shitpost image for a celeb's PC

>3.5: Divine Health: At 3rd level, a paladin gains immunity to all diseases, including supernatural and magical diseases.
>5e: By 3rd level, the Divine Magic flowing through you makes you immune to disease.

>Nonmagical disease.

[citation needed]

Maybe not exactly. Sour grapes is the same thing except dressed up in rationalization.

Is that Ebola-chan?

It's only a bad motivation if the villain admits it. Most people that operate on it don't acknowledge it as a reason because when you're honest about it you have to face how obnoxiously petty you are as a person.

It worked for DX:HR.

What about a bad guy who doesn't care who gets hurt by his actions, and claims that anyone who opposes him is just jealous of something he has or does, ignoring any actual reasons they have to find his behavior unwanted? That's a pretty realistic motive.

Be honest you just watched Teen Titans Go

>weak and incompetent
Sounds like a villain.

Spoken like someone who hasn't studied much history

I don't really see how'd they'd become a villain.

I already hate this asshole, so that’s a decent start.

Sour grapes is an excellent motivation! I now want to run a game where the players run a vineyard and must defend it from their rivals, who suck at growing grapes and always get sour ones, so they try to pull mob-style bullshit to try to aquire the PCs' holdings, or even just steal some cuttings! Can our heroes become the greatest wine makers of their age and thereby secure their place as legends, or will the forces of evil dilute wine making forever?

For best results, run in Exalted.

>2e
>Immune to all forms of disease

Only when it's transparent. Stupid people with low self insight don't see how transparent it is and do it anyway. Intelligent people construct more complex rationalizations to embellish their base motivations.

Using overt freudian defence mechanisms shows a villain isn't intelligent and so probably weak and incompetent.

Do foxes even fucking like grapes?