Please tell me if this is retarded

I am going to be joining a DnD campaign soon. I'm not especially familiar with this system, but I have an idea of what I'd like to play.

My character is named Richard Shaw, a paladin. He believed in his crusade with all his heart. He got super killed halfway through, and died with tremendous regret. A year later he just got up one day as an animated skeleton hell bent on finishing his crusade.

He bears all normal paladin traits, hates undead, all that jazz. But he's a skele now. He tries to conceal it as best he can. Likely mute. Never removes his armor, especially his helm. It sounds fun to me.
Am I retarded?

Other urls found in this thread:

dnd.wizards.com/sites/default/files/media/upload/articles/UA Gothic Characters.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This is a pretty common idea for a fighter-type character in D&D.

I know AD&D 2E has rules for skeleton PCs, but you might have an issue with the edition you're using.

Sounds good user, just don't be surprised when your DM turns you against the party because whoever raised you is still secretly in control.

Sounds like a fun idea that has potential for lots of plot twists and hooks. I suggest you talk it over with you DM to work out all the rule and RP hoops and hurdles you need to overcome when playing with your skelepaladin. And definitely ask how might your paladin's church/organization, and other such peers react if he ever was found out to be a bonehead. Good aligned undead are rare, but a thing in D&D.

May your character become pic related, a monster who stands as a grim bulwark against darkness and evil that lurks in the world.

Bonus points for good taste in skeletons.

Thanks guys. I'll have those conversations and see where it gets me.
I had hoped such a character could play into interesting scenarios if the DM feels like doing some.

Depends on what edition, some let you play as a skeleton, others do not. Also might want to ditch the mute part, depending on who you're playing with, it can get really annoying.

There is an entire order of revenant paladins in Curse of Strahd. Yes, they are fallen and lost their nobility to lust for vengeance, but still.

I once played a character who communicated only through gestures and facial expressions. It never got old, and you'd be surprised how expressive you can get without making a single sound.
Still, skeletons don't have faces.

I only thought that because I didn't know if skeletons can talk. Can skeles talk in dnd?

You still didn't tell us which edition of DnD you are playing.

No problem, user. Also, I would suggest you flesh out your character's past well, so that you can give suggestions for the DM about things that could come up from your past, especially the crusade part. Former allies and enemies, maybe family too, places where he has been and wanted to go. And of course make sure to discuss those things with the DM so that it all fits in with the setting.

5e

Sorry.

>but he doesn't need flesh, he's a skeleton!

Yeah, that was the plan, I wanted to keep the concept pretty basic until I knew more about the DM's intentions for the game before I fleshed him out any further

The only thing I would suggest is to not do the whole mute thing. It's fun for a session or three but gets old really quickly for yourself, your DM, and the other players it just ends up being an unfun, unnecessary burden that'll be ignored or skipped over pretty quickly. So it might be best to just leave it out.

Alternatively, you might have more fun doing some kind of voice. It's easy enough to do and when you want to not do it it only affects the flavor of your character not some of his previously established characteristics.

Oh no, I didn't just make a skelepun without even realizing it... Well picked up user, shame on me.
Hopefully the concept fits with your DM's plans, so that you don't have to stick a bone in it. *snicker*

Any chance of hearing back from you how things go? How soon is the game due to begin?

The whole thing being mute might be a good idea to get around somehow. Perhaps a small quest to regain his lost voice? Overall, if OP is comfortable with a little voice acting, I think it would fit him to have a dry, whispering voice.

dnd.wizards.com/sites/default/files/media/upload/articles/UA Gothic Characters.pdf
Ask your DM about Revenants. He'll likely say no, since there's this whole immortality thing, but I'm sure you'll talk something out.

>My character is named Richard Shaw, a paladin.
"Rick Shaw"?
Is he, like, fantasy Chinese, or...

If you're playing Fifth Edition, there's the Unearthed Arcana Revenant rules. dnd.wizards.com/sites/default/files/media/upload/articles/UA Gothic Characters.pdf

Fer, I already told you that I will let you play that shit because a skelly of Arkay is hilarious and we don't give much of a shit about lore
t.Malvi

Should be like a month if all goes well. I'd be happy to tell stories then.

Playing a similar character because we have had this thread before, it can be pretty fun, especially if your dwarf party member uses you as a ringer in drinking games.