What does a battle between necrons and tyranids look like? (Fluff)

What does a battle between necrons and tyranids look like? (Fluff)

>necrons sit around
>hive fleet flys by
>Woo

Depends on how big/well-fed the hive fleet is, as well as the Necron commander. Necrons can just kill 'nids and reincarnate their dead ad infinitum. They can mitigate the disadvantages that the Tyranids are evolved to take advantage of, such as limited ammunition, morale, and supply lines. Necrons are immune to poison and the mind-fuckery of the hive mind. 'Nids can't really evolve to counter gauss weaponry effectively since it literally separates molecules. Also, I imagine some of the advanced Necron anti-warp tech (ala Cadian pylons) would fuck synapse up.

This being said, Necrons are comparatively slow clumsy. They don't move in perfect cohesion with unified purpose like Tyranids do. Necron lords often succumb to delusion and madness; the hive mind has no such problems. Necrons may be able to just respawn their soldiers infinitely, but if Tyranids can break into the tomb complex itself, they're pretty screwed. Shield of Ba'al showed a pretty good example of what happens when Necrons can't beat Tyranids easily.

Also keep in mind that while the Necrons effectively have infinite resources, the Tyranids do not, they have to eat enough food to get them to the next planet (and they can't eat Necrons).

Basically, nids try to avoid necrons

>Necrons can just kill 'nids and reincarnate their dead ad infinitum. They can mitigate the disadvantages that the Tyranids are evolved to take advantage of, such as limited ammunition, morale, and supply lines. Necrons are immune to poison and the mind-fuckery of the hive mind. 'Nids can't really evolve to counter gauss weaponry effectively since it literally separates molecules. Also, I imagine some of the advanced Necron anti-warp tech (ala Cadian pylons) would fuck synapse up.
Necrons hard-counter nids
they are the rock to the tyranid scissor, the one thing in the universe they cant adapt well to
they completely break apart the advantages that tyranids exploit against all normal races
meta-wise i just dont want nids to be effective against everything period, between them and chaos, we dont really need 2 people wanking off to super unbeatable forces

>TURNING BACK THE LEVIATHAN

>The genius and innovation of the Tech-Priests of Lucius was displayed anew when a splinter fleet of Hive Fleet Leviathan invaded the planet. Despatching Lucius’ Legio Cybernetica and a great host of battle servitors to the planet’s surface, the Tech-Priests Dominus largely fought their battles from below the planet’s crust. By tracking the motions of their servant clades and controlling their activities via electromagnetic data-tethers, they waged their war without risking direct harm. Such is the wonder of the Cant Mechanicus that their battle plans were enacted to the letter. Wherever the Tyranid swarms overcame their servitor armies, the Tech-Priests waited for the xenos predators to devour the biological components before sending servo-skull swarms to carry the most vital of the remaining machine parts below the crust of the planet. There they were installed into fresh recruits, and the next wave sent back up to the surface. Though it took months to accomplish, the resultant war of attrition ended in victory. Deprived of bio-matter, the Tyranid splinter fleet was forced to feed upon itself to produce further troops, and the xenos could not keep pace with the recycled machinery parts and refurbished robots.

Like this but more curbstompy in favour of the Necrons.

>Necrons are comparatively slow clumsy. They don't move in perfect cohesion with unified purpose like Tyranids do.

Actually, the Necron legions move in lockstep order. Warriors and Immortals are pretty much extensions of the Overlords will. They only get clumsy when they have no one to command them making them return to simple protocols.

>meta-wise i just dont want nids to be effective against everything period, between them and chaos, we dont really need 2 people wanking off to super unbeatable forces

I like you.

Bad for the Tyranids.

Both on ground and in space, Necrons curb stomp.
Sure if it's a small tomb world and a big hive fleet the crons will be overwhelmed but against a proper fighting force of Necrons the nids are fucked.

I agree with most the people above. Necrons are not viable foodstuffs for the Nids and are also extremely expensive to kill in terms of biomass. Plus there's likely very little left of a nid that a Necron kills so they can't even eat their fallen.

Isn't there a named Necron Lord who considers it the destiny of the Necrons to stop the Tyranids since the implication of the Nids is that all the hive fleets are just probing attacks and scouts for a main force that can easily eat galaxies?

thered always this one nid fag who thinks that the nids can just yell "EVOLVE!" or bring up "ENDLESS NUMNER" and completely ignore the disadvantages an army that relies on eating the enemy biomass fighting an army that has none, and whose weaponss even deny them their own, like those are an adequate handwave

if they are allowed to do that, why can necron fags just say "Ancient super weapon" and be done with it?

You mean 3 people? You forgot that tau are immune to chaos and can out adapt the tyranids while swiftly catching up to necrons in tech.

They fought in Shield of Baal, didn't they? Necrons also had Blood Angel and Flesh Tearer allies and still all they managed was a phyrric victory.

> Wake up
> Fuck, it's M42 999, how the fuck did I sleep this long
> Look outside
> It's snowing bugs
> Worse still, they're eating my slaves
> The slaves who have re-evolved sentience and seem to think that their great great great great grandparent species' oaths of fealty mean nothing just because they "can't remember"
> Engage in a race to kill the bugs before they kill my pets

Necrons work the same way against Chaos as well.

>while swiftly catching up to necrons in tech.

You mean with those battle suits that are already almost a millenia old?

We are entering a point in the fluff where time actually progresses and GW wont change factions drastically to ruin verisimilitude. Tau are fucked from a meta-view because they are supposed to be a young, rapidly advancing race but they are going to literally be going centuries without technologically significant changes.

Eventually their only fluff shtick will be logistics and combat support, what with even the Imperium of man having full strength plasma that doesn't overheat and 30+" guns/ flying marine armor.

The Necron victory was total.
They woke up, turned on their super weapon and utterly BTFO of the Tyranids, sending the entire tendril packing.

Naw the only thing in question was whether they'd have enough time to fully reactivate to turn on their doomsday weapon.

The Marines bought them the time and the fleet ended with a flick of the switch on a giant bug zapper.

>Isn't there a named Necron Lord who considers it the destiny of the Necrons to stop the Tyranids

Not just a lord. Szarekh, the Silent King, supreme ruler of the Necrons, cut his own self-imposed extragalactic exile short and headed straight back to the Milky Way when he ran into the tyranid hive fleets.

I wonder what changes the Tau will have come codex time

I was under the impression that nids could eventually digest Necrodermis, it just took ages. Still a Cron stomp though.

God fuck this. What possible reason could the necrons have to fight against the tyranids.

I fucking love Tyranids. I admit my bias. Huge fan. I throw my lot in with them. Aside from literal gods (Chaos), I think the nids have it. Nothing orcs, eldar, tau, or humans can handle the overwhelming threat.

But tyranids only care about bio matter. Necrons have no bio matter. There is zero incentive for either of these parties to fight on any significant basis.

I forgot to mention. Despite being a huge Tyranid bitch boy, I give Necrons the fight. They'd win purely out of attrition because the Nids would have no significant biomatter to recoup an assault on a fucking tomb-world.

The galaxy is the property of the Necrons.
Tyranids are not allowed to eat all of the bio-matter.

The necrons are doing a damn shitty job stopping them. Is the lore some fucking damocles sword between Nids, Necrons and Chaos?

Actually, fuck it, I take it back.

If the Necron goal is to stop the nids from eating all the biomatter the Necrons lose. There aren't close to enough necrons to stop the nids from consuming everything.

For every tendril that dies assaulting (or suffering the assult) from the tomb world, another is devouring thirty, forty systems. Nids win.

Just like your sexlife, OP

>The necrons are doing a damn shitty job stopping them.

Not really, they're just waking up. Anytime they do they fuck them up.

>If the Necron goal is to stop the nids from eating all the biomatter the Necrons lose.

Hardly there are millions of Necron worlds, once they awake the Tyranids are fucked.

>What possible reason could the necrons have to fight against the tyranids.

Okay, y'know how the Necrons got shiny new bodies to replace their old, fleshy ones? Well, they regretted that pretty much immediately what with the whole turning the majority of their race into soulless automatons thing. Szarekh, the Silent King, supreme ruler of the Necron race wants the Necrons to one day find a way to put their minds back in fleshy organic bodies and basically told the rest of the Necrons as much before he put them all to sleep and putting himself into self imposed exile in extragalactic space as penance for pushing the whole biotransferrence thing in the first place.

Anyway, while he was out there fucking around in the void, he ran into the tyranids and realized how much of a threat they were and that if they devoured all organic matter in the galaxy, then there would be no way for the Necrons to find new bodies to transfer into or something. So, he came back from exile and has been rousing Necrons to fight back the tyranids.

That actually seems like an ethically grounded motivation.

Alright, good point. But what are we talking about here? Millions of necron worlds.

Let's give it a conservative estimate and say there's over 100 million necron worlds. Okay.

There are one hundred billion or so estimated planets in the galaxy. Of these, about 10 billion are terrestrial. Maybe a fifth of those, 2 billion, have life on them. Just ballparking.

So for every ONE necron world (and I'm trying to give the necrons the benefit of the math), there are TWENTY worlds full of biomatter for the tyranids.

Am I saying the necrons would lose? Fuck no. The necrons don't lose. But the nids, likely estimating when the cost will be reprehensible, would simply move on to a different galaxy with a huge net growth.

I like the cut of yer jib and I like this narrative. Honestly, I think my previous point stands:

The end game of 40k is a three way battle between Chaos (who just want to fuck up everything and have literal gods helping them), Tyranids, and Necrons... all competing for compelling interests.

I fuckin' love it.

By necrons "losing" i mean necrons being destroyed. Not that they wouldn't lose the vast majority of galactic biomatter.

>there are TWENTY worlds full of biomatter for the tyranids.

And they can't eat any when the Necrons blow them up. Tyranids don't have the luxury of just going around.

>swiftly catching up to Necrons in tech
>FTL travel is all but non existant
>FTL communication probably in same boat
>Considers higher tier Imperial technology damn near magic level and it's nowhere near as insane as necron
>Barely even live like 50 years at a time
>can't even into close combat like proper races can

Pretty sure that's wrong m80

>can't even into close combat like proper races can

not for long gaijin bakas

Dude the Necrons are like the Tau endgame.

>Tyranids don't have the luxury of just going around.

Wut. They literally do.

Also, are you suggesting that the necrons are blowing up all these delicious biomatter planets they hope to use to restore their own race?

Witnessed.

>Wut. They literally do.

No they don't. Necrons don't just stay stationary.

>Also, are you suggesting that the necrons are blowing up all these delicious biomatter planets they hope to use to restore their own race?

No, I'm suggesting they kick the Tyranid's asses.

>One guy with a chaos sword who is definitely getting corrupted by it
>Trying to overcome their laughable failures at close combat by giving up their one advantage over chaos they have, as chaos gets to figure out how Tau's brains work by letting the sword be near farsight
>Not to mention even if Tau are "immune" to chaos, they're not immune to getting fucking stabbed by chaos space marines

Filthy xenos delusional as always, news at 11

>Pictured, strong Chad Human dominating inferior beta Tau organism, like the emperor intended.

Got it. I see what you are implying.

I mean, you have to face the problem of movement and population economy. Sure, Necrons aren't getting destroyed anytime soon, but they aren't exactly making new Necrons (please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not a Necron expert... necrophile... necronphile?)

You can only cover so much territory. Every tomb world of millions of necrons divides its forces to protect each new planet. Each time the forces are divided, less of the surface is protected.

Hahaha

Even the clowns are better than the tau.

Let's not forget our true overlords, the Jokero.
>strong because ape
>best race for tech(barring none)
>other races use messy warp, jokero use normal ftl
>numerous but really hidden.

The only thing that holds the jokero back is the complete lack of a conquest instinct. I promise you that if a race really starts winning the monkies will come out in full force and kick trash.

>One guy with a chaos sword who is definitely getting corrupted by it
Unlikely a chaos sword, even if it was it wouldn't work. See DoW 1 where when the chaos lord was trying to telepathically communicate with the Tau commander, the latter just thought someone was fucking with his comms.
So if the sword is trying to whisper sweet nothings, Farsight probably just thinks old age screwed his hearing and thinks about his poor aching back.

Nah the emperor must have made his sons at least a little chaos resistance and fulgrim bit the dust.

It's only a matter of time if it's a chaos blade.

not so much avoid, as not bother with lifeless planets.

they'll fight necrons if the tombworld has life on it.

fluff isnt definitive as far as I've seen.
necrodemis is meant to be scifi hax-metal, but tyrnaids are known to eat metals. though those bits of fluff aren't talking about necrodermis specifically

>No, I'm suggesting they kick the Tyranid's asses
the won't. the Silent King is going around the galaxy trying to unit eveything they have and he's not sure it'll be enough.

thats kinda the whole grimdark point of tyranids, they're a nearly unstoppable force of nature. that can potentially be beaten if there is an unprecedented amount of cooperation between the warring factions of the galaxy. its grimdark not because the tyranids can't be beaten, they can. they just won't be because eveyone will be to busy fighting eachother over petty bullshit.

Original nidfag here. So... your analogy could equally apply to the Necrons. The necrons represent exactly the same unstoppable "damocles sword".

>The necrons represent exactly the same unstoppable "damocles sword".
not really. necrons can be reasoned and bargained with, they're also not a single united force but a collection of independent empires and kingdoms.

You do realize that the orks are just as capable weapons in their own rights and have the added advantages of intelligent fodder, technology, and waaagh! energy.

>"You could have such power..."
>"WHAT? I NEED A SHOWER?"
>"Give your soul to Chaos..."
>"DARN IMMIGRANTS WANTIN' MY SOUL!"
>"Aun'Va cares not for you..."
>"HE AIN'T MY AUN!"

lol

Not a matter of resistance if they literally can't communicate.
Even if you had the most devilish skills of persuasion, voice of seduction, and a silvery tongue, if the dude is deaf it really doesn't matter.

>I don't like this sword, it gave me tinnitus

But demons communicate with souls right?

Even if they didn't, tau aren't incorruptible, they still have souls(albeit small ones) I'm surprised he's lasted this long.

Need stuff like telepathy, to communicate directly to the soul going to need to straight possess

Just being around chaos tends to make people go loopy. Yea the tau last longer against chaos but that's still gonna bite them in the butt.

That's of course assuming that the swords chaos, I think it's a c'tan/old one/eldar/jokero artifact.

but what about orks? arent 'nids runing out of gigant orks floting in space? if enough orks unite they can make anything reality, that would be so cool to see, orks, 'nids, necros and chaos in a final battle for the galaxy.

(pic not relates, just my duds)

I’m with you on this. The tyranids would never beat the necrons in a head on fight, but they would never try to. It’s likely the necrons would be too slow to stop the nids from consuming tons of worlds, and they would avoid any robots. Chaos would probably take notice and stop fucking with the Imperium for a while once the ruinous powers notice their favorite playthings are in danger of being annihilated. These three are the endgame, I think.
Maybe orks could get in on it if they get their shit together and unite or psychically manifest Gork and Mork or some shit. And I guess that there’s no way GW would keep the imperium out of being a main player, so they’ll probably magically resurrect all the loyalist Primarchs and Big E to give them a shot.

Pink plasma?

Well I'm keeping track of things that could change the status quo, aka "things GW would never do" here's my list so far.

>void dragon wakes up
>gods return(ynnead, c'tan, big E, etc)
>Waaagh! hits the threshold and everything is beaten by the spiral-orks
>jokero reveal that they are sapient, bow to the glorious monkey overlords.

i see it more like kool plasma

That is not canon

I thought Farsight's sword was a Necrontyr lifesteal artifact.

On the subject of the sword. Why is it ever described as eldritch horror or macabre?
When you kill someone with it, they're dead just like if you shot them. So what if your lifespan just magically went up too boot. The enemy died just the same whether by Dawn Blade or plasma fire

In my heart of hearts I imagine Gork and More Gurren Lagann victory as the only fitting end for the 40K universe

Mork

Imotekh fought a hive fleet in one of the shield of Baal novelettes and got beaten, although he did inflict like 60% casualties and with only 400 troops

necron fleet can travel faster and just as reliably as tyranid while maintaining all the same advantages in combat as necron do on the ground

Maybe it's the effect it has on enemy and people around it. That it feels wrong somehow and yet it just looks and acts like ordinary sword.

Its origin has never been definitively identified. Its one of those intentional plotholes for the player to fill in with what they like for their games.

what would a battle with DAOT mankind vs tyranids look like?

Oh you must mean FUCKING EPIC

/thread

Aaaand im still waiting for him to ACTUALLY arrive and get shit done.

yeah, nids hard counter the imperium and the necrons hard counter the nids

knowing how much skub they produce they could just be given the admech treatment. Introduce a few septs (only one meaningful), a couple of relics (all situational) and a handful of stratagems (almost all terrible). Then they will nerf suit commanders and buff kroot melee without increasing their durability.

We will look at it, laugh for about a week, then move on without thinking about the Tau again til 9th. Meanwhile ebay will be flooded with battlesuits spray painted mat black and 2 other colors.

Oh he's arrived, he should have just kept his ruling staff that allowed him to control whoever.
Most Necron dynasties are fighting over their rightful clay rather than focusing on the Tyranid threat

Remember when it took forever for Abaddon to stop being a looming threat in the fluff and become an actual threat?

Not always true, Nids land on dormant Tomb World with former biological life (such as existed during the time before the Necrontyr transference) then the Phaeron of the world might object to what he sees as a cockroach infestation on his formerly pristine garden world (He may be a soulless automaton but he still loves his petunia's dammit) so you have a war.

What about Trazyn? Doesn't his impressive collection contain biological material? Wouldn't he be pissed at his collection being nommed by a horde of space locusts?

There are plenty of reasons for Crons and Nids to fight. Even before the Wardian update Nids are life and as robot space zombies oppossed to the very concept of life wiping them out would still be something they'd do.

In short like with every other faction in 40K there is plenty of reasons to fight.

every Tau unit can now fire while moving half their movement distance per turn.

A few years ago, that list would have included

>primarchs come back

>He may be a soulless automaton but he still loves his petunia's dammit
>Necron Lord whose motivation is that he's angry about his garden world becoming a hive world
I can dig it.

This.

Necrons and Daemons hard-counter nids.

I like you

>Primarchs are revealed to be the great Prime-Apes of the Jokero Dominion in disguise
>"ook your base are belong to us"

>arent 'nids runing out of gigant orks floting in space?
If you're asking whether Tyranids are fleeing to this galaxy from Orks, that's literally only an in-universe theory mentioned once by an Inquisitor. There is no evidence the Tyranids are fleeing from anything.

>swiftly catching up to necrons in tech.
Are you serious... oh man, they aren't even upper imperial tier yet and Necron tech makes imperials look like a joke

>Tyranids don't have the luxury of just going around.
I-is this bait?

I could see something like that for turret broadsides

There IS a briefly referenced region of space somewhere, a star system or a few of them, where an Inquisitor had this very same idea. He deliberately nudged a full blown Ork WAAAAGHHH into the way of a Hive Fleet. The Orks secured the worlds before the Orks arrived and were almost ready for the next stage of their conquest when the Nids hit.

Thousands of years later the war is STILL ongoing. Cause the more the Orks fight the more the best and toughest of them rise to the top becoming bigger, stronger, tougher, and more cunning. And the more the Nids fight the same enemy the more customized to killing they get. I think the unconfirmed implication is that because the scale of war keeps increasing and the limited biomass concentrated into:

A: The Biggest Meganobs
or
B: Being fungal spores that grow on remaining biomass to try again

AND

C: Being used to create super deadly monsterously huge hive beasts
or
D: Being recycled to make more super extra killy Nids.

I think the excerpt ends by implying that Orks and nids the size of titans are warring on the ruined biospheres of the world, a whole WAAGH and Hive Fleet having perfected the perfect versions of their most killey things locked in an ever concentrating war of attrition the winner of which will be utterly unstoppable.

The Inquisition has expressly forbidden any attempts to make roughly equal forces of Tyranids and Orks meet in battle again.

Also consider that the more powerful Cron warlords could direct the old Crons (who were retconned to be wolds of Crons who went through so much war they lost all personality BECOMING old Crons) as cannon fodder against Nids...

NECRON cannon fodder on TOMBWORLD scale

He did arrive. Remember that fluff about the Blood Angels and Necrons teaming up to kill a bunch of Nids? Szarekh was the Necron leader.

The battles of DAoT were more catastrophic and terrible than those of the current age according to ollanius pious, weapons that would blast chunks out of existence even if you had warp time travel technology those regions would be unable to traverse.

Destroyer platform with water cans/sprayers on the side. Staff has a pair of shears attached to the side of the blade.

I see it, bruther!

I imagined it in likeness of the sword being a young child and Farsight being an old man just shouting: "HUH?!" in the middle of tempts.

>>"You could become greater than any of th-"
>>"HUH?! Who is coming?"

"Gee, I wonder what happens if I mix these two forces that get stronger the longer they fight in a battle"

+++ 1,000 years later +++

Gork and Mork seem like runt snotlings compared to Warboss Bugsquishy.

Pretty much. I think someone's ultimate joke was that if the Orks win war bosses would travel the void by jumping from planet to planet with a fishbowl on him head.

Except that the Eldar noticed, came by and blew both of them the fuck up starting the whole cycle again. So they aren't super powered anymore. Ah, Eldar, GWs favorite plot device when they realize they've written themselves into a corner.