/40krpg/ 40k RPG General

"Arguing over WanGs" Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

>Who's making the new 40k RPGs?
ulisses-us.com/in-development-wrath-glory-for-warhammer-40000-roleplay/
Ulisses-Spiel, very well known in Germany. It's set post Gathering Storm, uses a Shadowrun-esque D6 dice pool, and is a unified line with Marines, Humans, and Xenos all playable in the core book.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

The Good, the Bad, and the Alpha Legion (v1.1.2) (Total Conversion Deathwatch into the Horus Heresy)
mediafire.com/file/25l7bq3xcqczm81

Mars Needs Women! (v1.3.7) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
mediafire.com/file/bkh1982f96mzs9v

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.16) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/file/cu99mwnw75sw9y9

Prev: When was the last time a Fury effect turned the game around for you? How dire was the situation? Was it memorable?

Hoooooo boy.

>The Victim: One Bloodthirster summoned via an unlucky perils of the warp.
>The Marine: Brother Arkio Orlok, wielding Laughter's End, a refluffed Teeth of the Blizzard, possessing flesh render, death from above, and currently activating Blood Frenzy and Feat of Strength.

>The result: Over 300 damage in a single strike.

There's nothing left of that bloodthirster but an axe sitting on the ground we're trying to figure out how to dispose of without exposing ourselves to the fell energies within.

Can you math that out?

5d10kh3+12 (Base sword damage)+28(Frenzied strength+feat of strength)+2(Slayer of Demons)+3(Power armour+Pauldrons of fury)+2(Crippling blow), Righteous fury on an 8+.

>Tearing and Flesh Render
>Fury on 8+

I pity the dead who can no longer know such joys

I accidentally summoned the bloodthirster while using my psychic hood to shut down a group of enemy psykers trying to blind and deafen the team. It was my first mission, my first use of the psychic hood, and my first perils.

They knew such joys for as long as it took the jetpack to rev up.

Arkio, on the other hand, despite having to burn a fate point and his face, is still very much alive, and very much angry.

The Bloodthirster is but a pale reflection of his hatred.

It didn't really turn things around, but it definitely, uh, expedited things.

>elite Deathwatch KillTeam aboard a turboheretical Rogue Trader's flagship
>carrying a heavily wounded loyal RT, or at least his burnt & coughing body
>our Librarian has just dealt with a group of heretical Mechanicus Biologis and we're investigating the medbay while the Angel Sanguine and the Wolf Priest use the facilities to give our Trader some intensive medical care
>enemy Rogue Trader starts flooding the deck, so our Forgemaster yanks the doors closed and starts welding them shut
>suddenly a disturbance in the Warp, and our vision flickers as a band of psykers a deck away fail to manifest Sensory Deprivation past our Librarian's Psychic Hood
>but unbeknownst to the team, he Pushed the Deny the Witch roll
>despite having both the "-10 on Phenomena rolls" and the "roll twice for Phenomena and choose" talents, he somehow manages to roll 86+ on both dice
>PERILS
>he rolls a fucking 95
>a fucking Daemon Prince appears 3d10 meters away, and is fucking pissed as hell at the psyker who just ripped it into realspace
>but Daemon Princes are pussies so the GM gives us a Bloodthirster
>with a retinue of 2d10 Bloodletters
>on the other side of the door

>Techmarine nods with satisfaction at the pristine weld before a set of hellish claws punch massive holes in the door, buckling it and letting in a rush of water that promptly sweeps up the blood and bile splashed around by the blasphemous Biologis' death throes
>by the Emperor, a fucking Bloodthirster
>and it's making a beeline for our psyker
>that fucking heretic Rogue Trader is so determined to kill us that he's trafficking with daemons?!

>Librarian engages a Psychic Power to get armor points roughly equivalent to a Land Raider for as long as he holds still
>and since it's psyshit, Daemon Weapons won't pierce it, though his power armour won't help
>he also triggers a Solo Mode for temporary Wounds, again so long as he doesn't move

>Forgemaster whirrs up his lolbroken breaching drill to RIP AND TEAR HUGE GUTS but is ignored despite doing around 20 damage after accounting for around 30 soak
>Assault Marine one-ups the Librarian's simple words of challenge as he prepares to hold the line by delivering a melodramatic speech about how the daemon is nothing to him but just another target to wipe the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never before been seen in this segmentum
>Daemon ignores everyone and beelines for the Librarian, popping an All Out Attack with Furious Assault to forfeit its Reactions for better chance to hit
>Librarian parries everything with his Storm Shield and stabs with with his Force Sword, piercing soak, but can't manifest Force as it rolls a blessed 8 on Opposed Willpower
>Forgemaster notices the Bloodletters trying to squeese past the 'thirster through the door (with zero success) and hoses them all down with burning prometheum, to no effect
>Assault Marine engages a Solo Mode that lets him Fury on 8+
>with a Tearing melee weapon
>and the Flesh Render talent
>rolling an extra 2 damage dice each hit and discarding the lowest two dice
>three chances to get an 8+
>under Deathwatch's retarded Fury rules where you roll damage again and add instead of getting an extra d10
>seven Furies in a row
>seven hits added together with his retard strength on each
>totals to over 330 damage against a daemon with about 30 soak
>his sword embeds in the beast's shoulder, and the blade grinds against it for a moment before lopping the limb clean off as the powerfield blasts its head clean off its shoulders

It definitely saved us a couple more rounds of the Librarian tanking the single-minded daemon while we whittled it down. Plus the manifestation of a Greater Daemon of Khorne made those fuckers trying to inflict Sensory Deprivation stop... and the killteam, Librarian exepted, assume that those guys summoned the daemon to try to remove our psychic defenses.

Just how often are you guys having sessions? I am jealous because I haven't had a game in years.

Total newfag here, is it possible to get a physical copy of the rulebooks still? I have the pdfs of Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Only War and Black Crusade via a russian website but I prefer actual books.

Every week. It's insane.

I'm going insane.

Send help.

No help, Black Crusade soon.

Is there a high learning curve to the rules? I want to get my friends that don't know 40k into the game but we are all only familiar with DnD, I've skimmed the rules a bit and have pdfs of some of the supplements.

Not really, no. The only struggle is remembering all the modifiers and such, as well as the occasional special quality of a weapon or talent.

Wait, so you guys weren't using the errata?

Nope. Godwyns can fullauto, Furies add weapon damage again to the hit.
Instead of reverting to the older systems' furies where you just get one exploding die, the GM ruled that only the first damage die of any given hit can Fury. As a consequence, melee weapons that only deal a single damage die but are Tearing become horrifying when paired with the Blood Frenzy solo mode that the Blood Angels and their successors have access to.

squad modes are pretty much a must for high level encounters, but the system itself is simple.

You roll a d100 and if you roll under the characteristic (+/- modifiers) you succeed.

Say, your intelligence is 40 and you want to recall some minor detail - this would call for, say, intelligence -10 test. Roll under 30 and you're set.

Thanks, I was planning on doing a Rogue Trader game but being a brand new GM I went total retard and tried making it possible for my players to do absolutely anything they wanted, I'm gonna try to start slow and have them play Deathwatch or Only War so I can justify being more restrictive

I'd recommend dark heresy, actually. It'll hammer home the lethality of 40k, and give them a solid objective to accomplish while being given a large amount of freedom to accomplish it.

I know this isn't the 40k general but does anyone have some of the newer Black Library novels/anthologies/etc? I'm looking everywhere for Tau stuff and the like but I can't find anything.

The only resource that's better than torrent sites is the general's old BL mega.

Deathwatch is easy to GM, but it's probably the most complicated system for players, since they have to track power armour bonuses, geneseed bonuses, solo mode abilities, and squad mode abilities in addition to the usual Characteristics, Skills, Talents, & Equipment.
Only War, conversely, has the most complicated character creation, because in addition to the Aptitude system DH2e copied from it, it also has Regiment Creation. If you run Only War, I suggest making the Regiment yourself or allowing your players to choose a premade one from the rulebooks, but if your players are willing to put in some extra time letting them make their own Regiment can be a lot of fun to play out.

>Deathwatch is easy to GM
Don’t think so unless you’re one of the guys who think Deathwatch is a table top simulator

My policy for the MEGA, once again, is no BL books, FFG was contracted by GW, BL is a direct subsidiary, I'm not touching that shit with a 40 foot pole.

An Exception was made for the IG Primer scan in the OW directory, as it was in the torrent I used to start the MEGA off

I've run it and I honestly found it refreshing to not have to give a fuck about balance. I can throw anything I want at the PCs and they'll probably survive. At higher ranks, they'll probably kill it before it deals a single wound unless it's got broken shit like a number of dodges equal to its Agility bonus.
The social parts, where I tend to struggle as a GM, are mostly interplayer, so I can reap the satisfaction of having combat, social, stealth, and strategy in my game without having to worry as much about the social part, provided I have good players.

That and Death Watch can easily turn into schlocky 80s action movie in a heart beat. We literally had Friends by Dragon Sound as the themesong for the game.

How do I do a Nid invasion?

Lets say the hive fleet kicks the Imperial navy ass. How can a group stop a splinter fleet? I've read Nids will fuck off if they get hurt too much, but what does it take?

Ah, I see. Well, I was just wondering in general.

What sort of group?

I don't think my players ever got a Righteous Fury at a climactic moment. It's always overkill on little enemies which then bleed gallons of blood as if they lived in an independent Asian film.

2 questions:
1. I mentioned in a previous thread that I was setting up a "brown-water navy"-type regiment. Currently working on writing up a 40k PBR. What weapon system should replace the twin .50 cal in the turret at the head of the boat? I plan on using Heavy Stubbers for the other side- and rear-mounted MGs, but I feel like that might be too weak for the primary armament.
2. For the Mountain troops regiment, I plan on giving them a DMR-style rifle instead of a lasgun. Would the following statline make sense, or does it need tweaking?
Basic SP, 150m, S/2/-, d10+5, Pen 0, Clip 20, Reload Full, Accurate, Reliable, 4.5kg

Virulet, specifically-tailored gene-virus injection to the queen.

Anyone have a link to a good conversion for playing Rogue Trader in Dark Heresy 2e?

My group already knows Dark Heresy, and I'd rather not confuse them by trying to get them to learn an older iteration of the system.

Wouldn't it mainly be a issue of assigning aptitudes to character generation?

Well yes, I was just wondering if someone had went to that effort already. Rather than me having to make all those decisions.

I personally haven't seen any and googling doesn't turn up anything. Get to doing it then.

Are there any examples of desert worlds in the imperium that aren't death worlds? I'm thinking of making a few regiments with the same homeworld and they're feeling a bit close to the desert raiders.

This guy, this guy gets it.
Plenty of them. Tallarn is only a Death World because it got fucked over in the Horus Heresy by Iron Warriors virusbombing and then the vicious no-holds-barred all-out combat the Heresy is now infamous for, up to and including superheavy tank combat between Perturabo's boys and the Iron Hands.

Check out the Deathwatch scenario "Oblivion's Edge."

I just make it so only Elite and Master level enemies even suffer Righteous Fury; if a mook gets hit by one they die instantly.

Can anybody explain why the eviscerator doesn't have the power field quality? It even says in some descriptions that it has a power field generator on it and has the damage and pen to match.

>Stop the fleet

Sounds unlikely. Why not simply have them SURVIVE the fleet?

>Players descend onto a planet after hearing about a weird cult
>Do some investigating, find that cult worships mutants as "blessed" by their god
>Discover Cult is taking the most "Blessed" mutants interbreed to create more of the "Blessed"
>Players discover location of cult HQ, its deep in the undercity leading to a lot of Vox interference during their attack
>Don't find out its a genestealer cult til purestrains start coming out of the walls en masse
>OHFUCKOHFUCKOHFUCK.jpg
>Players eventually fight their way through cult, manage to kill the leadership and most of the purestrains
>With his last gasp, the cult Magister gasps out "You're too late... they're here..."
>hahahawut.jpg
>Players being ascent to surface
>Begin picking up snippets of vox activity, consisting of panicked shouting by Hive City officials, warning klaxons and unnerving announcements by PDF officers
>Players finally reach the surface and are confronted with a scene from a nightmare - red clouds overhead as mycetic spores slam into spires, and the sound of millions of flapping wings fill the air...

The players now have to race to find a way out of the Hive and off-planet amidst a panicked evacuation and Tyranid invasion before they get killed.

Because it's a low-level one, insufficient to perform the full "chainsword into scrap-metal" effect?

Printer

Otherwise look for old copies wherever you think they may be

Tell me about your GM, tg

gonna play Black Crusade soon (only core book) as an apostate, but i have no idea on how to play one, any tips and ideas?

He's incredibly handsome, talented and patient. His NPCs are funny and interesting, and his storylines are exciting and have clever and unexpected plot twists.

Why yes I am the GM.

I liked the old one. I hate the new one. He's a cunt.
He thinks killing characters and making the campaign extremely hard and with a cliche "THE GALAXY IS IN DANGER!!!" is the good way. Also he usually gets stuff prepared for only half a campaign and then imrpovises. I told him many times to use a damn premade campaign, but he insists in ignoring my advices.
Oh and he also "preferes" to use a superhero rpg system with 40k lore slapped on it instead of using what's good for setting, so there are plenty of times when some players either know more stuff then he does or he has to check the lexicanum for clues.

Yes I mad. No I can't stop playing.

Autocannon or multilaser. But quad stubber provides decent firepower as well.
And since it's the future, you can use long barreled hellguns for the secondary guns. Use the onboard batteries, no need to reload as long as the engine is running.
Also, I love monitors; can I interest you in some non-US boats? Even without using laser or plasma weapons, you have an entire range of more unconventional weaponry at your disposal: automatic mortars, flamethrowers, rocket artillery, tank turrets,

Hunting rifle from DH is Basic SP, 150m, S/-/-, d10+3I, Pen 0, Clip 5, Reload Full, Accurate. 5kg. But your version isn't OP by any means.
Consider converting the lasgun-specific talents, tho.

Black Crusade has a lot of freedom to play things in different ways, and the Archetypes are just that - archetypes. They define your character a lot less than starting class in the other gamelines, and all that's really locked in is the Special Ability. So you're playing a Heretic who's pretty silver-tongued.
The rest is up to you. Are you playing a cunning Feral World shaman who embodies the guile of deities like Loki and Coyote? Perhaps you're a disgraced Ecclesiarch of the Ministorum who's bitterly rejected the light of the Emperor, and turned to darker forces? You might just be a highborn socialite used to navigating the deadly games of your fellow nobles.

I believe that is a hard coded rule in BC/OW/DH2e.

He's a good chap, buys mead for the table every week, he was a bit new to gm'ing so there were some rough spots early on and stammers some when he's speaking off the cuff, but you can always talk to him and he'll do his best to do right by you and be a better gm.

>It's set post Gathering Storm, uses a Shadowrun-esque D6 dice pool, and is a unified line with Marines, Humans, and Xenos all playable in the core book.

Goodbye.

>oldcanonfag mad he lost

Go join the 4rrys.

>comparing 4e to oldcanonfags

Do you give exp individually or do you have the entire group have the same amount of exp?

I keep everyone at the same XP total, but I may offer bonus Talents, Renown, or Influence to reward particularly momentous achievements.

Group XP for most stuff, then bonus for RP...
Not that it's really ever convinced any of my shithead groups to actually try and RP anything.

So If I want to play Lucius Vorenus in 40k setting which is the best to play him in? Dark Heresy? Rogue Trader? Only War? Deathwatch?

Sure, Deathwatch Ultramarine.

Arch Militant?

I actually went for a former ecclesiarch adept who after barley surviving a fatal accident during a prayer in a temple that killed most of his colleagues. This close brush of death is what made him think of fragile his life was, and then faint whispers spoke to him from time to time, telling him to do things, maybe be a bit more craven, let others do stuff for you. After a while he had been exposed to the primordial truth, and it had been the powers of Nurgle specifically who had been subtly used the power of the warp to twist the mind of him.
Due to his craven nature and silver tongue he has become fearful of death and looks to the Primordial Truth for the secret to eternal life, but a side effect of his current lifestyle has made him very gluttonous and a bit lazy when he doesn't need to do the warbands work, fitting for a servant of Nurgle

what HW/BG/R in DH would most likely be a virgin?

HW: Research Station
BG: Techpriest or Administratum adept
R: Sage

how about the Ministorum?

Depends on whether you're talking consenting or not.

Sororitas is probably less likely to be diddled.

That sounds like a terrifying game.
>Monsters coming out of the walls
>The kindly baker who helped the party out earlier is in fact working for the cult
>Panic stricken PDF forces go awol and start shooting everyone to save them from the horrors of the tyranid doom
>Party survives long enough to find a ship to get them off world
>Fly to space only to discover that there are more creatures waiting

Where do I sign!?
>Sororitas
>LESS likely
I mean, the Ministorum have options besides altarboys, but the Canoness and Drill-Abbesses are mostly cooped up with each other and the Initiates...
I dunno, seems like Research Stationers might feel the need to blow off some steam between study sessions. I'd guess Daemon World (limited survivors) or Forge World for a character who was never really interested in fleshly desires and took to the Machine Cult readily.
Similarly, I think the Administratum is less likely than the AdMech, since their jobs tend to involve more social interaction and less job satisfaction, so they've got contacts and energy.
As for Role... yeah, Sage seems most likely, for sheer focus on academics over other pursuits.

>I mean, the Ministorum have options besides altarboys, but the Canoness and Drill-Abbesses are mostly cooped up with each other and the Initiates...
Depends on what you consider 'still a virgin'.

I got tired of weapons not having enough 'oomph' so I GM ruled that all attacks damage with the first d10 is minimum 5, seemed to give combat what it needed.

If you’re and your players are having fun, it means you’re doing it right. I wouldn’t do it personally though

Have you guys made fun patterns of weapons for your characters, planets, etc? Here's one Pattern of las-pistol I made for my Apostate character in Black Crusade

>Mk4 Petrunius Pattern Las-pistol:
The Petrunius Pattern Las-pistol is a weapon manufactured and used almost exclusively by the Ecclesiarchy, Adminitratum, Arbites, and the nobles on Booras. What makes this patter unique from the standard issue Galaxy Pattern Laspistol is it's blocky barrel, a sleeker center, and a slight inwards curving grip. They are often coloured in either bronze or gold depending on the wealth of the individual.
Many personal bodyguards and high ranking soldiers from Booras are often equipped with the Petrunius Pattern laspistol, along with the Mk2 Petrunius Pattern Lasgun that sport a similar design as the laspistol.

I run Deathwatch and after learning the Reach was conquered by a joint force of the Night Lords and the Blood Angels I had one of the players locate a pre Heresy lightning claw which belonged to a Night Lords captain who was a good bro with his fellow BA officer.

The relic is devoid obvious NL markings and upon return to Erioch it was claimed by the BA chapter.

It’s stronger and grants an extra attack to the wielded, but also works like one of primarch curses where there’s a chance spending a fate point had no effect.

I do this a lot, usually nudging Damage, Pen, and RoF around a point or two, while also tweaking weight, magazine size, and qualities a bit more drastically. Don't have any notes handy at the moment, sadly, though a friend of mine made a pretty cool twinlinked fullauto plasmagun censured by the AdMech for wasting small plasma coils that could've made twice the number of plasma pistols.

Looking over logs, I think it was Basic 70m S/2/3 pen6 mag40 Maximal Storm

I sometimes make one for an only war regiment.

What are good starting powers for an Astropath in Rogue Trader?

"Still in character creation" starting?

Yeah, though I think I'll be getting like a thousand or so xp later since I'm joining a game in progress

The UPS store did a very nice job printing my Dark Heresy stuff.

As you can only get powers from the telapathy discipline, your options are rather limited. Mind Link and Mind's Eye can allow for communication between party members that cannot be intercepted. Mind Probe and Psychic Scream can give great interrogation power and some combat ability. Delude and Compel can help with social interaction and can fuck over encounters.

Thanks for the advice, man. I'll share what I've written up when it's ready

I've made a ghost ship that haunts the Warp in my OC Sector. Right now I have it as a Gloriana and I was wondering where stats for one are located.

Hey Shas. I found another thing for GBaL, the Power Dagger has the fast attribute. Going by the Inquisitor's handbook that is "enemies get a -20 to parry your attacks" however, this isn't listed in the weapon entry.
More like a QoL thing but something I noticed.

I am sorry my lad, didn't mean to >(You).

I'm thinking of having Fabius Bile make an appearance at some point in my campaign. Anyone have good ideas on how to portray him? I haven't read any of the books about him, just some of his appearances in HH and his original background material.
I know he's super creepy, but I'm not sure if he's "cackling mad genius" or an "amoral pragmatist" type guy. He's basically 40k Hannibal Lecter, right?

My friend Righteous Fury'd a dark eldar beastmaster in close combat as an imperial fist devastator. We only had half of our squad active and in the fight, and turned a complete loss/humiliating retreat into a 'from the jaws of defeat' moment as the beasts panicked and started killing each other and the deldar warriors surrounding us.

It didn't have Fast to start with. Sadly by the time I convinced him to add it so there'd be a reason to choose a weaker weapon than a Power Sword for similar req & renown, I'd already acquired a fantastic melee weapon and didn't want to spend req on another.
This is probably another case of one part getting updated while another is passed over and remains outdated.
I'd take a look at the book where he sneaks into the Blood Angels' Fortress-Monastery while they're holding a summit of their successor Chapters; that should give a few snippets of his behavior. You shouldn't need to read the whole thing if time is a concern, just his moments.
There's nothing like killing Dark Eldar in close combat. One of my fondest memories of R'Myr's Deathwatch campaign is using the Bolter Assault squadmode in the second session and executing the Haemonculus who'd just nailed me in the arm with a Hexrifle.
You really feel like an Angel of Death when your reaction to your arm getting filled with vitrifying poison is to get angry, run up with your bolt pistol, and pump two rounds into the xeno responsible while your supporting Naval Armsman's covering fire penalizes the fucker's Dodge by just enough that he flubs his roll and dies like a bitch before making a second shot.

It's a ghost ship. Go wild with stats, the physical ship that it once was should have little bearing on its abilities, and more the circumstances and forces involved in the ship ghost-ifying.

Is there any official template in dark heresy for characters coming from Necromunda specifically?
I thought it could have one since it's basically one of the most famous planets in the entire franchise

None, because the systems' fluff is written for their own subsettings.

I piledrived a Tau commander off a beacon tower

Back in the DH1e campaign i was in, i was running a SoB Hospitaller. We we're running through the manor of a Governor who fell to slaanesh, when we opened up a door and saw a Daemonette with a bunch of Daemon-Cherubs. Everyone failed by a few degrees on their fear test, but i spent a FP on it.

Being the respectable Wife of the Emperor, i whipped out my bolt-pistol and pumped 2 bolt rounds into her chest. Both rolled Fury and gibbed pretty much everything within 3m thanks to some lucky crit dmg. And thats how my bolt-pistol acquired the Blessed trait.