October's UA postponed until the 9th

>Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Past Grievances:
What makes a best dungeon? What's the best dungeon you've played? How about the best official dungeon?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=N1A-JGIF1Vc
d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/fey/gremlins/gremlin-hobkins/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

A great dungeon needs a good design, a good challenge, and of course, a good reward.

Let's talk about druids!

Have you ever played one?
How do you like your druids?
What kind of philosophy do they follow in your setting?
What's your favorite circle?
Favorite race for the class?
What would you change about the class?

Copying this from the shit dead thread

Alright goys, I've asked this a few times but it's almost time to play so time to commit. Playing cursebringer hexblade warlock, should I start as fighter and then MC into warlock, or start as a warlock and take heavily armored? Stats are 18, 12, 15, 12, 13, 16 (insane rolls, I know) and race is variant human.
If I start as a fighter, I'm not sure what feat I should take to cap off my STR. I assume I'd take defense as my fighting style. It would also be more thematic, considering my backstory is a city guard getting corrupted in a search for power. However, starting as warlock is cleaner when it comes to my stats and doesn't delay cursebringer.
Thoughts?

The key to winning any campaign-ending boss encounter is not to show up as a party of 4-6 schmucks loaded down with magical doodads.

You show up with prepared to drop the fucking ceiling on whatever you're fighting and cheese the everloving shit out of homeslice with siege weaponry located half a mile that-a-way and every important NPC and their personal fucking armies on standby to dunk that clown.

>the outcome of this fight will decide the fate of the world so we'll leave it up to these plucky teens, the gods will stay at home, and our armies and champions of similar level to the PCs will be cooling their heels

Anyone have tips on playing a Goblin Warlock?

You need mapping and exploration rules for dungeons to really "click" the way they did in very old editions

Like the idea of them, never get around to playing them. Always seems they need one of the typical Fighter/Mage/Thief/Cleric roles filled.

Eldritch blasts directly to the junk

could you elaborate on those rules? I'm not as familiar as I'd like to be with old D&D

What episode do they fight Vecna please? is it just the most recent one? I don't want to search back through the 30 episodes I haven't seen

youtube.com/watch?v=N1A-JGIF1Vc

The rematch is this thursday. Now please don't turn this into a critical role thread. I love the show but make a general if you want to discuss it so bad.

>cleric/mage/thief role cant be filled by a druid
cleric and mage is pretty easy cause spell casters
thief is a bit harder but if your a druid chances are you have a fairly good dex and you should have some sort of familiar or something (and wild form of spider is accessible when you first get wild form)

Thanks brotha' 'ppreciate it

>Have you ever played one?
A while back. Sort of focused him on storms and weather

>How do you like your druids?
Weird forest sages. Wandering around with a staff, helping out travellers, pointing out when idiots are doing something unsustainable. Less feral more wise, in that sense

>What kind of philosophy do they follow in your setting?
The way I have Druidic magic set up means it's not entirely restricted to plants and animals, and,can theoretically work on people. Thus, Druids are pretty secretive and focused on a rather moral outlook where all things are connected. Mainly, they wish to avoid any members going rogue and harming their already strained public image. The main reason the church hasn't condemned then is because the main god is strangely silent on the topic of them, since he knows the true source of their powers.

>What's your favorite circle?
Probably Land. I do prefer Druids as casters overall, relying on Shillelagh for melee over wildshape

>Favorite race for the class?
Half-elves. Thematically, I think they work well as something torn between two worlds choosing a third option.

>What would you change about the class?

Probably fix up how Circle of the Moon scales, maybe tweak their spell list a bit. Perhaps offer an alternative to Wild Shape that was a bit more mystical in nature involving totem spirits or the like

I'm going to start a blog where I convert 3.5 monsters to 5e. Plan to do at least one per week. Probably more until I lose steam. I'm still trying to decide on a URL, something that would be okay to share with people (so the threefifthscompromise idea, as hilarious as it was, probably wouldn't work, especially as I'd like to show it to my other friend who is also a DM and he's black so i don't think he'd like that shit). Thirdtofifth was what I was thinking, and another user suggested threeportfive. Just something that evokes the idea of a three-five to five-ee conversion blog.

Also, what monsters should I convert first? I've made a few and learned from my mistakes. I'm taking requests.

Start with AD&D monsters, obv.

Nothing that appeared in primary monster manuals. Go search the specialty setting content, like Frostburn, Red Steel, Al-Qadim, and Hollow World. We've all seen manticores and displacer beasts and whatever a bajillion times.

Shocker Lizards

Anything that would make a good familiar. Also some things other then just monsters would be nice. Never played it but if 3.5 has any weapons that are cool that arent in 5e, I would love some of those.

Gods have to stay home because of divine gate, otherwise I agree

How do I avoid the pitfalls of being a boring Paladin while still being firmly good?

Oath of Ancients

Develope your character outside of just about being good? You know making a character

Well I couldn't figure out how to make Xavier into a character. So I just made a monk with the Sage background. The question he's looking for an answer to is "what doth life"

DM found it pretty funny

>We've all seen manticores and displacer beasts and whatever a bajillion times.
Those are in core monster manual but I get your point. What about 3.5's monster manuals II-V? I liked the mind flayers of thoon, I've already converted those but I feel like they might fuck with 5e's expectations a bit, especially the Strength scores. I try to keep the ability scores somewhat in line but of course they have to be toned down. Any idea on a good equivalency for 3.5-->5e ability scores for monsters? I always figured I could go off the proportion between 3.5 Ogre and 5e ogre, 3.5 tarrasque and 5e tarrasque, and go from there. But there's shit in 3.5 that has 35+ strength, even 50+ strength, that wouldn't work in 5e where the stats cap at 30.

3.5 has some cool weapons, I'll have to check it out. 3.5 has a lot of cool content, actually. Problem is that a lot of it is shit due to spellcasters / power attack being way better.

I'm working on ideas for a character for a somewhat political intrigue campaign. Should be a mix of sneaking into places and fighting off spies and enemy soldiers.

Problem is I'm not sure what to play. We've already got a Rogue and Ranger handling stealth and 2 different Cha based casters, along with a Fighter for some muscle. Any suggestions for what I could try to bring to the table?

Once

It's easier to say how I don't like them: hippie tree-huggers.

Their philosophy is don't have a philosophy, follow your instincts

Moon, I find Land boring

Tortles and Humans

Wildshape, its rules are confusing and scale terribly

The players were expected to make a map based off the DM's description of the dungeon, with the intent that there would be flaws built up over time and that a sloppy map or not keeping a map at all would come back to bite the players at some point. You can still do it without changing anything but it'd weird some people out and wouldn't be as useful due to the lack of the other rules.

There were different rules for movement in combat and outside of it. Movement in combat was quicker and many of the rules for normal movement didn't apply, so if you ventured into a unknown place you didn't get checks to find hidden features and if you were running (moving your full base rate in the shorter combat round) your character wasn't allowed to map. You were expected to have a marching order for the party. Encumbrance was a more common problem since you gained xp mostly off loot. You weren't really expected to win all fights you went into, so running away was a more common problem. There were Wandering Monster tables to make it so you could minimize danger but not completely eliminate it.

Best Canned Modules to run noobs levels 1 to n?

I stopped playing about 1/10 of the way into mines of philanderer or whatever and haven't played since. a group of noobs want me to DM so what the hell. which module or series should I buy? I'll rough in a lot of stuff around it, put my own shit in it etc but I don't feel like doing the whole custom world from scratch this time.

Try a hireling wizard or a cleric trying to mitigate the damage caused from all the intrigue in regards to the little guy or a slightly insane druid who wants to acquire political power to create a sacred grove/natural city of his own.

d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/fey/gremlins/gremlin-hobkins/

How do I stat this creatue's abilities? Collateral damage and Out of Phase seem tricky.

ELDRITCH BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAST

I'm in the ideas stage for a campaign I'm gonna run. I have this image of a dead GOO falling to earth as a shooting star. Although dead it still causes corruption around it. I really like the idea of gods, devils, and other big name patrons fearing it, and others being corrupted by it, but I'm having trouble coming up with an actual plotline.

I want to stray away from generic cult that simply worships the dead old one, and yet I can't think of anything else. Who came upon it and how are they using it without becoming a puppet to its influence? What would such a person's overall goal be?

Any spitballs or ideas to get my almonds activating would be appreciated.

Is this too much for an Uncommon magic item?

Bulwark Breaker
>While wearing this pauldron, you have advantage on STR checks made to break down doors and shove, push, or grapple enemies.

I'm thinking of giving it to my party's Barbarian to encourage more creative combat options.

a lifetime love of graph paper

long hallways that sloped at an imperceptible grade to another level without warning

having everything in your imagination instead of laid out on a grid, I still picture that first dungeon that was a tpk (we rolled 3d6 in order like men, picked class on our strengths like men, and died like men) more vividly than any video game or RPG since then.

Well, do you need the BBEG to be a mortal attempting to use the GOO for his own goals?

Maybe a lich that's immune to its effects due to being dead has taken over the corpse as a ridiculously potent home defense system

you'll encourage more door breaking, maybe

Couple of times, but not yet in 5e
Defenders of the Balance and Nature
N/A
Land and Dreams
Doesn't matter
I would like the base druid to be a bit more nature/fey focused instead of "Wizard with tree-spells."Or if the druid was the elemental caster and wizard focused less on the natural element spells.

I played an druid in a metropolis setting once.

I was pretty much the last druid of an ancient grove that sat in the middle of what was the city's central park, and used the guise of a wise old grounds keeper, but should anything the city did to try and exploit the park, either by expanding the city into it, or exploiting its resources would result in my character using the powers of nature to cause mayhem, creating a urban legend of a monster that guards the park.

Was pretty cool too, used trees throughout the city people used for decoration for tree striding, used rats and birds as eyes and ears, turned vicious guard dogs into friendly doggos so the party could pass untouched.

>I'm thinking of giving it to my party's Barbarian to encourage more creative combat options.
Barbarian already has advantage on those things while raging, I believe.

As opposed to the GOO acting on its own? Yeah, despite the fact that it is still very capable of influencing everything in its vicinity it is still "dead." There needs to be some other agent that is simply using it in some way.

>Defenders of the Balance
What kind of Balance? Balance of the ecosystem? The elements? Of evil and good?

Yes.
Cosmic Balance
Natural Balance
Good vs Evil
Basically the guys who have to fix what the wizards broke.

All of the above, balance in all things.

>God dammit Malachi! Piranha Horses were a terrible idea the first nine fucking times you tried it! Why the fuck did you think THIS time would be different?!

Anything taking advantage of a GOO is necessarily a warlock, in theme if not in fact. Having the GOO *right there* must allow for some greater effects. Not just a cult, but one formed and literally went mad off some inscrutable idea. Alternatively (or in addition to) they are lead by a warlock with a different kind of contract with a different end result: becoming a minor god that other deities can't help but be corrupted by.

As some rough concepts:

>Wildlife around the place where the GOO crashed are twisted into alien shapes, goal would be to prevent any further damage to the native ecosystem
For thematic inspiration on this one maybe you can read The Color out of Space
>Some god or another is driven mad by the GOO and attempts to pre-emptively "safeguard" the world so that no such other beings can threaten it ever again
>Someone attempts to directly seize the GOO's power via a convoluted ritual

So, ToA has a really fun Dinosaur races bit with horrible betting rules for it. How do we fix them, /5eg/?
I DMed it RAW yesterday. It was horrible - players were disinterested, only a couple made bets, and the one that made the biggest bet on the shittiest dino losing actually won a whooping >1k gold.

>It was horrible - players were disinterested, only a couple made bets
I'm willing to bet that's not a problem with the system, its a problem with the way you ran it.

If you can't differentiate between them, you are literally severely retarded. How are you not hurting yourself?

wait, did you give him the 7x payout on the loser LOSING?

It's literally what the rules say.
>Characters can bet on the dinosaur races to help fund a jungle expedition or earn some extra cash. The racers, the available odds, and the chance to win are listed in the Betting on Dinosaur Races table. Bets can range from 1 cp to 500 gp. Once bets are p laced, roll a die for each bet. Losing bets cost the full amount of the wager. Winning bets pay out according to the table. Be ts can be for a dinosaur to win, place, show, or do something specific during the race (like attack another racer or throw its rider), so many bets can win in the course of a single race.
Shitties dino wins _your_bet_ (not the race), if you roll a 1 on a d8.

Basically, as is, you can place a bet on the top guy losing or winning - the probability and payouts won't be different. Same for the underdog.

Anyone have any ideas?

You are a moron. You don't give great odds for a shitty dinosaur to lose. You'd get barely anything for that.
You have to have the players involved in the race for it to be fun.
One of my players rode one of the dinosaurs and got better than usual odds by saying they would make the favourites lose, so his bookie would get everything bet on it.
The druid beast shaped into an alllsaurus to be ridden by another player and the rest of the party made a small profit by betting that the newcomer would throw it's rider.
The final party member, a ranger, used speak with animals to get the second favourite to throw the race by bribing it with goodberries.

Kenku Ranger

Good idea, bad idea?

The only thing that doesn't fit is the +1 charisma, and mimicry maybe seeing a little less use.

Go for it.

It's +1 WIS

Ive been doing something simialar.
Want some collab?

Shit, pulled up an earlier fanwork when googling.

Nevermind, nevermind.

Go to DMs guild, click adventure, and filter by "free" and "pay what you want", most of the adventures are for low level characters, I really liked one called golden sheep or something, very goofy but fun

I guess I am a moron. It's my first time running a published adventure and I probably cling on the rules a touch too much.
Next time the party (or what's left of it) is at Port Nyanzaru I'll give them a better experience at the races - and get them involved more. At level 1 they don't have as many options as you described, lets be honest.

Ah, ok. Sorry.
My players are a higher level, it is a bit more limiting for lower characters. But don't be afraid to just use what's there as guide. I'd reverse the payouts and probabilities for betting on dinosaurs to lose rather than win at the very least.

How would an Eldritch Knight/Arcane Trickster build be? I'm thinking about doing that route with a longbow/shortsword & shield build.

so basically, you don't know how betting actually works.

I've just started playing a revised hunter ranger using archery. We're currently lvl 11 because we're continuing off a campaign we had just finished but I decided not to import my character, a vengeance paladin. I'm sure some of this is just getting used to a new character, but the damage just seems kinda wonky. While I do have sharpshooter, just looking at what I could do if we didn't have feats, the best I could do per round is 3d8(2 attacks&colossus slayer)+2d6+10, which seems on par with what my paladin could do, but with no option for additional burst.

I realize its a bit of a loaded question because there's so many factors and options, but is there some sort of baseline/average damage done per power spike around? And what do ranger burst options look like, if there are any? I'm kinda considering multiclassing into rogue so I can have that option of situational burst with this character as well.

>How would an Eldritch Knight/Arcane Trickster build be?
It would be a bad idea.

It's alright, we're on Veeky Forums. I wholly expected to be called a 'mongoloid faggot' when I posted the question. 'Moron' is the one I won't even argue with.
Reversing the odds seems like a perfectly fine solution, but it doesn't take into account bets on things other than winning and losing. Like, it they bet on a dino throwing off it's rider, what must the odds be? I really want to do it fairly, without hand waving and dice fudging. Maybe add some kind of a 'Temper' stat to each dino to base the chances off of for something special happening?
At least the actual formula for the payout is simple, that's something already.

Foulspawn are being created by being in proximity to it, or forced into to create obedient fodder. An outcast Illithid that can use magic has begun twisting the essence of the GOO to do what his kind have failed at and will eventually seek vengeance for being thrown out. He's able to harness the essence without being a puppet do to his race being from such places themselves, the foulspawn are the results of corruption from the far realm and using the essence this Illithid can hold control over them.

Ok, Anons, I have this idea for my next character.
He’s this Scary looking dragonborn but he’s actually is a really sweet dude that lived almost all his life as a cook/butcher and had a pretty average life.
Now he’s having a mid-life crisis and decided to go adventuring, leaving his family behind to find treasures and adrenaline.
He’s supposed to be this really “cool dad” type outside of combat and take care of the rest of the party (since everyone else is probably half his age) and make this great meals for everyone, but in combat he just goes berserk and is kind of a rage monster (Barbarian)
How would you play him? Any tips would be appreciated.

>How would you play him? Any tips would be appreciated.
I would play him like:
>He’s this Scary looking dragonborn but he’s actually is a really sweet dude that lived almost all his life as a cook/butcher and had a pretty average life.
>Now he’s having a mid-life crisis and decided to go adventuring, leaving his family behind to find treasures and adrenaline.
>He’s supposed to be this really “cool dad” type outside of combat and take care of the rest of the party (since everyone else is probably half his age) and make this great meals for everyone, but in combat he just goes berserk and is kind of a rage monster (Barbarian)

I have a friend who did something very similar; she rolled up a female Barbarian who was a loving mother and had her sons + daughters all grow up to be happy and healthy and doing their own things, and now that her dear husband passed she's off exploring the world as his deathbed wish.

Out of combat she's a dotting mother for the party and cares for them all, but in-combat when she rages she's very "Stern motherly" and stuff, being like, "I'm not mad; I'm disappointed" as she bashed skulls in with her greataxe. The only time she's cursed is when she was KOed by an adult blue dragon, and upon getting brought back via a Healing Word, went full-on rage mode. Which only made it all the more fulfilling that she got the killing blow, and described it as ripping out the largest teeth of the dragon and jammed them into the thing's skull as she rode it flailing about in pain and anger.

Just make it up man. Take the rules that are provided as a guide. Give a poor chance and a good payout for a calm dinosaur and give a high chance and a poor payout for the t-rex. If you're worried about what your players think of the odds they're given have them roll a persuasion check first for them negotiating the odds. Or maybe an investigation (charisma) check to find someone who will take an obscure bet. As far as the players know whatever you tell them is at least partially based on the success of their characters.

So where's the blog gonna be?

Favored Soul will almost certainly be in Xanathar's Guide right?

Hey y'all, I'm doing a dark fantasy campaign and I'd love to hear suggestions to bring the feel beyond narrative, things like rest or magic modifications that affect the mechanical aspect of the game and not only what I can pull off on my own.

>His GM doesn't let every race take a feat at level 1

pls

DMG p 259, 266, 272

The rules are pretty bad.

One helpful thing is the odds are the BET succeeding not the dinosaur WINNING

>Implying that giving people feats solves the feat tax problem

Use Volley if an archer

You can attack every creature within 10ft. of a point.

is there any reason PCs can't hire a fuckload of commoners, and then force them to act as meat shields in dungeon crawls?

I'm sure as a DM you could reasonably say that there isn't enough people willing, but lets say they were either very rich or very charismatic for arguments sake.

Because sane commoners will give in to their fear and run away.

>get paid to be a meat shield
this plan is already flawed

That's unique. The druid I have is insufferable. It's weird, because you would think that a person playing a druid would be the LAST to be a shitlord. He's just... so fucking annoying with his character.

there is a transition period, sort of like a real job, where you start out working the front desk and then suddenly one day you realize you've become a slave

>what is morale
>what is loyalty
>what is common sense
>what is survival instinct

You are dumb. Also commoners had 1d8 hp so they will all die with no benefit to you even if they did go

Have fun with it. It's easy to make a warlock effective, so focus on the parts that you enjoy playing.

(reposting from laat thread)

What's the best arcane half-caster homebrew floating around?

I've checked out a Magus and a Spellsword, but they seem pretty shitty balance-wise.

To be clear, DM's saying to play "whatever the fuck you want", and I rolled stats good enough to play anything, really. He's gonna run the game with a series of house rules, and since I don't give much of a fuck either and the game probably won't last long, I want to play something fresh, weird, that doesn't feel as slow-progressing as the eldritch knight.

Mind sharing your work with another Thoonist.

Which is cooler
>evading technosorcerous bolts of energy from and attempting to land atop a gargantuan ancient giant mecha using
A) friendly and courageous but unlucky adult silver dragon
Or
B) airship provided by ancient red dragon

>unlucky adult silver dragon
I'd go with B if I were you.

Whatever the fuck you want isn't neccessarily permission to play as whatever half backed trash you pull from dandwiki fyi

Start fighter and take heavy armor master
That pumps str to 20 and gives you a dr of 3 to ofset your low hp from warlock levels
Take 2 4 or 6 levels of fighter depending on the level you start at and your prefrences. 2 gives action surge 4 gives an archtype and a feat 6 gives an extra feat and extra attack (freeing up a invocation slot)
Ek gives you more spells to use while battlemaster gives maneuvers; champion is kinda worthless for this build as your curse gives you the same bonus. Ek is probably the better use for you as you can use ek slots for shield/pseudosmites

Defense is always good but gwf could also work to buff your min damage
Id go fighter to 1, warlock to 3 (or whatever cursebringer is at, if cursebringer is 5 id take the extra attack invocation and retrain it later) fighter to 6 rest in warlock

Running a campaign that's only going to go a few sessions. Need an idea for a stupid evil plan for my BBEG. Whole thing is going to be not so serious.
Was thinking maybe trying to blow up the ocean or teleport the moon too close to the planet.

Hey what's a fun thing to play at 18th level, I have access to everything -eladrin & gith and SCAG