>He plays a human

>Access to dozens of diverse genders
>He plays a man

>want to play dozens of diverse races
>GM says the setting is human-only

this

>playing the most diverse of races
what's wrong with this?

But human is the god tier choice. They're relatable enough to understand innately beyond race, lacking in particular stereotypes regarding the race as a whole while being versatile enough to have any kind of personality. Other races are for brainlets who are so creatively bankrupt that they're incapable of role playing and so choose a speshul snowflake race in lieu of a personality.

>attempting to roleplay something fundamentally different to yourself on physical, psychological, and cultural levels
I mean, its fun, but it can be tiring sometimes. There are an infinite number of good characters user, plenty of them are human.

>Access to dozens of diverse classes
>He plays a warrior/mage/thief

>Access to dozens of character ideas, with a nearly infinite range
>He plays a stereotype of a race

imperium fanboys in a nutshell

>Access to dozens of different backgrounds
>He plays a grizzled mercenary

play whatever you want
we judge you AFTER you play, not before

want to be original, or at least try? sure
want to do something tried and tested? fine
only thing thats really banned is a being a dick

We had this thread a million times by now. It will still hit autosage. This is the true tragedy.

I used to think humans were all you needed because they can fit every role. Then I grew some taste and now all my settings are full of crazy characters from various races in a true high fantasy manner.
If you think disney cartoons, old fairy tales and stuff like star wars would only benefit from being human only then you're simply wrong.

>Create dozens of diverse and interesting races.
>Humans are still mechanically superior to them all.
You have no one to blame but yourself.

Does your GM not let you just take any desired racial features while claiming to be whatever race you want? (i.e. mechanically you're X flavorfully you're Y, unless the flavor and mechanics are somehow in direct conflict [e.g. you can't be a vampire or something and walk around in daylight])
So long as you're not obviously trying to break something my table is extremely loose with things like this. Regarding D&D specifically that's taking the human stats but still playing a planetouched or half-ogre or whatever.

>Doesn't have dickmen in his setting
For shame user.

What? No, I've never had a DM allow that in systems like d&d where your racial bonuses are usually set, nor would I allow that in my games. If you want to be a half-dragon or whatever that's fine, but you get the RAW abilities, bonuses and penalties.

In point-buy systems, you have to pay for your racial abilities just like everyone else.

This, but unironically. People who chronically choose to play a separate race other than humans tend to cripple themselves creatively by resorting to cliches and stereotypes to do all their heavy-lifting for them where a normal personality would usually reside.

It's like people who drink coffee but are so innately uninteresting that now they have to make coffee a defining part of their personality. Or it's like people who immerse themselves in the lifting culture because they want to prove to the world they have a soul, but no one ever tells them that weightlifting doesn't count as a personality trait (hey, Veeky Forums).

If you were truly interested, you wouldn't need a fucking gimmick to carry your character's profile. If your character is naturally intriguing, then all he ever really needs to be is human...You know, just like REAL FUCKING LIFE, where literally BILLIONS of real life fucking stories exist involving love, war, loss, and trial, all without having any need to invent some fake detail in order to make it more interesting, because humans are already plenty interesting if you know what the fuck you're doing.

This
Humans are inherently interesting. Playing as a different race is like trying to play a black person and making it "fit" because you have to "act a certain way" when you are roleplaying a black man because "that's just how they are"

Even if you were playing a KANG it would be fucking better than a fucking Kitsune whose personality is nothing beyond "Lol they can turn into a foxperson u guise"

Obviously if you're trying to get some huge racial benefit out of it (flying and dragon breath) then you're twisting it too far, but my table basically doesn't mind so long as it's in the same LA. That human feat is indeed crucial to various builds, but sometimes you want to be fanciful and still have elf ears.

>has access to humans
>wants to play something else

best characters rp wise ive seen have been human, or some setting unique race, people rely on generic races like a crutch. Its either they are complete cliches or complete inversions, like a proud racist dwarf, or an intellectual ork. Ive seen humans be the source of greatest originality, like a poor paladin for w lonely farm who used to be the local blacksmith, who never made any swords ir armor before and one day had to fight for his village and reforged pots pans and plates into armor, and scythes into a sword, and was selected for divine powerd from his diligence. I wish I could think of non shit generic fantasy race characters, but I havent seen any. Its either an original race that has no preset expectations, humans who dont really have any preset expectations versus the hordes of gay elves, and other characterless character traits bad rpers pick up.

>Implying
I am currently playing a draconic abyssal demigirl

>access to dozens of diverse weapon types
>he uses swords

>[Color] humans with exaggerated [Trait], that live in the [Biom]
>diverse races

this is why always play a non cis genderfluid trans black half demon half drow

>PC played a human obsessed with the greatest elf race in one game
>Next game, reincarnates not knowing it could happen, becomes an elf
>But he's the wrong kind of elf
>So in retaliation he waged divine brute will trickery to become the Mortal Godking of Humans and All Kinds of Elves

just let the players have fun with it

You can't call two "diverse".:^)

This
Also this
And this

Humano-centric worlds and games are fucking GOAT. Much like 2e AD&D is GOAT edition

>needs dozens of different races to make a character "interesting"
>thinks they're in any way creative

hot

>post says Dozens
>'two isnt diverse'
are you a little brainlet

>no one in the party is playing a human

I am so glad that I am not playing with you HFY cringe autists

Nice circle-jerk. I shouldn't have to see your faggots post your same opinion every thread. It's not even what you say, it's how you smugly say it every single time. Knock that shit off.

>stop posting things I don't like
Gee user.

I'm sorry, you seem to have left your safe space. If you don't want different opinions, perhaps plebbit is more your style, pussy

>Any opinion that isn't mine is a circlejerk
lol brainlet

god-forbid somebody want to play an elf or a dwarf, and try to act something fantastical like something he saw in a book or movie

Proper way to play a different race is to make a normal person and then sprinkle some stereotypical behavior in.

No, it isn't, that's why we have more than two, shitlord.

HFY cringe is like a meme at this point. Just like how baneposters circle around anything that involves the word "big" or cargo shirts and dark jackets, HFY cringe circle around and blast the thread with their vapid opinions when someone decides to not play a human.

Someone get this hothead out of here.

You do realize human is a completely valid choice when it comes to roleplaying.

For example human is the race of which I have reliably been able to roleplay successfully.

It's not HFY if you want to ACTUALLY PLAY your own race.

I filed this under my "Oddly Erotic" folder, but only now do I realize; I've known why I was turned on all along. Skirt lifting is muy bueno

>Hurr durr smug animu posters are le WORST!

I like the occasional High-Fantasy concept every now and then too, but everyone and their grandmother does that whole "High-Fantasy" shit. Ever heard of "everything and the kitchen sink"? Well I'm sick of it. Maybe the reason human-fags are a small, but VOCAL, minority is because we need to be loud to chop through all the cookie-cutter bullshit that's normally saturating the market.

Excellent response, 2bqhwyf ()

Humans are best though. Think of the common races.

>Short mountain jews
>Tall forest hippies
>Short hill hippies
>Green niggers
>Humans

They're all pretty gay except for baseline humans. Sure, you get into more wacky races, but how am I supposed to roleplay those? I'm just going to wind up RPing a human anyway if I'm not being a tremendous faggot.

And if you look humans always have the best subraces

For example, the redguard.

>Options
>Picks one

And, bro, check this out. You're never gonna believe this.

Alright, check it.
>Gruff, miserly human = Dwarf
>Tall, elegant human = Elves
>Comfortable, rural humans = Halflings
>Strong, crude humans = Orcs
>Human, human humans = Humans

Woah! It's like all of these races are just regular old humans, but, you know, trivially and arbitrarily different! Wow! Who would have guessed?!

It's no wonder they call these races HUMANOIDS.

Best race is always lizardfolk.

>all the other races are just slightly modified humans

Never seen someone so wrong.

If you think about it skeletons are just immortal humans running on an infinite source of power.

This but I prefer burly draconic or gator-like lizardpeople

Or maybe you are just a contrarian who enjoys drawing attention to himself by being vocal and obnoxious.

Hahahaha holy fuck this is great

Also
>Caring more about *what* people play than how they play.

>Using all humans
>Using elves/dwarves/generic shit
>Not creating actually unique and interesting races

I'd stuff a sock in your mouth if I could, put your legs in a cement block and call Tony and the gang to dump you off at a harbor for being this annoying.

>Access to dozens of diverse races
>Doesn't play a skeleton

>I can't believe its not shadman.

>more interested on what a character is
>instead of who he or she is

Identity politics are the worst.

Honestly this. I just read the first words of every post and already knew what they are saying. This is nothing new, the same shit as always by the same autists.

>you are just playing a stereotype when you chose to play an elf/dwarf/half-orc etc!
>let me show you how roleplaying is done by playing a stereotypical fighter/wizard/rogue!

Sometimes it gets on my player's nerves but in most of my settings the generic humanoid races are all closely related to humans are are more or less that, humans.Just short or with pointed ears.

I'm also a fan of beastfolk because at least there lies some real world inspiration for the race. A cat person who is lazy and naps. Spider people who are basically just drow.

Sometimes, you want an everyman to balance out the weirdness.

>Human adventurer
>A scholar and an upper class noble
>Highly educated, literate, and generally posh
>Yet when outside of big cities, he wears proper adventuring clothes that quickly get caked in dirt and mud and sweat
>His clean shaven face grows out into a scraggly beard

Try to imagine all that, but on a Halfling or an Elf. It doesn't work! Isn't that surprising?

Sad!

Apologize!

Exposed!

despite the constant shitposting, covfefe

>access to dozens of diverse races of human
>he chooses to be white

I can imagine that for an elf except the beard part.
I can also imagine it for a gnome replacing the beard with a big mustache.

Healthy young user, goes to Veeky Forums, doesn't feel so good, changes. Autism! Many such cases.

This thread is surreal.

Honestly this.

You can have humans, but all the other races have to be alien enough to warrant existence. Lovecraft did this right.

Picking the best race:
>Pick the most malleable of races as it can fit into almost any trope.
>Can literally be from any part of the world (within reason)
>Can have any backstory
>Can be any class

As compared to;
>Pick a non-human race, immediately have multiple opinions of others based on the name of your race.
>Having to deal with the narrow options for what the race is good for. An Orc scholar is neat, but fuck off in a serious setting.
>Impossible to relate to because you literally aren't chosen non-human race
>Being autistic

Don't be a Bloody Cardie either.

>dozens of diverse races
Races like Tall Skinny Human, Short Skinny Human, Short Fat Human, and Big Ugly Human. Gee, such a range of diversity there.

...It totally works for me.

Yes, there are people actually defending having filthy nonhumans as characters.

Well in my games I allow that, I allow any kind of lizardfolk except one - the ones that copy killer krock form DC (Because I had one too many players that copy that one)

>He plays a regular human instead of a re-skinned human with slightly tweaked stats

>Implying TES isn't GOAT
GHARTOK AE ALTADOON
HERMA MORA AE ALTADOON

So you never played with a good GM? I ran games where I had kobolds of all races act as most universal folk ever and it worked perfectly.

Heck by removing humans I made the whole game better as in most situations humans were just overall worse then any other race.

TES is rocking when it comes to races.

It's the only setting where the races are different enough to be worth anything.

>Lovecraft did this right.
What are the stats for playable lovecraftian races?

I can imagine that on a fucking kobolds...and a gnoll, and on an orc, on a drow, on a wood elf and they all sound both good and hilariously...realistic

Deep ones
Str +10 Con +4 Cha -6
Natural armor 5
Deep ones are immortal and use Str for diplomacy if the target has less Str.
LA +1

>Party looks like a bunch of circus rejects
>Thank god someone plays a Human so the rest actually feels a bit more like a fantasy party.

>They're just humans with rubber foreheads.

Come back when they're is actually something fundamentally different than a couple numbers on a statsheet.

The trick with TES getting it right is Quality over Quantity.

There are technically only 3 races (5 if you include Sloads and Druegh, and 6 if you quibble on whether Redguard count as Man)
Yet each race has its own ethnicities, cultural groups, political parties, and rivalries that makes them all interesting and vibrant enough in their own right

>race matters in a game where the large majority of players end up being a stealth archer assassin unless they are specifically role-playing an archetype.

Actually might be LA +2 but I digress

Yith
Str, Dex, and Con -2 Int +4 Wis +2 cha +2
Knowledge skills are always class skills. Yithians have a +4 racial bonus to all knowledge skills. They can always take ten on knowledge tests

Play morrowind, there you end up with anything you want.

>All TES is Skee-rimjob or Spudblivion
Come back once you've played a real TES game

>pick a human, can do whatever the fuck because mechanically the best race
>get called a boring minmaxer with 0 creativity, occasional claims that I'm "trying to be the main character" by just being a normal-looking human male
>play a non-human, shoehorned into certain things based on race but can do some cool niche things
>get yelled at for just being a "human with a funny hat" who leans on race instead of characterization, occasional "waaah minmaxer!"
>can't touch beastfolk without people screaming about furries or "stupid anime bullshit", monster races are just cries of "gimmick character!"
>somehow nobody ever seems to complain about half-elves, in or out of character

Different strokes for different folks I guess? Just have to hope you can settle down with a group willing to come to an agreement on what stuff they want in their game world. Otherwise nothing will ever feel kosher.

>Or it's like people who immerse themselves in the lifting culture because they want to prove to the world they have a soul, but no one ever tells them that weightlifting doesn't count as a personality trait (hey, Veeky Forums).
The vast majority of humans are basically NPCs. At least lifting is good for you and requires dedication unlike most normie shit.

>wants to be fanciful and still have elf ears
>then just play a fucking elf and give up the human feat bonus
>none of that half-X shit either. In my book, its a 50/50 shot on what the kid is depending on the parent race, because all of the races are just "magical" enough to keep breeding true. keeps all of that bullshit about cross breeding down.