Degenesis

I recently got my hands on this one. Is it Veeky Forums approved?

Why wouldn't it be? Good art, interesting setting. I've got the books myself.

I just started going through the books. So good so far. I just wanted your opinion on it.

Hey man, form your own opinion on it. I really like all of the bullshit RG's been up to, and when I finally get around to running a campaign, I like the idea of having sleepers in the background subtly manipulating events, until the PCs discover them, leading to the rest of the campaign revolving around foiling their machinations. It's a really flexible setting that accommodates all different power levels, and the lethality should be enough to keep PCs on their toes.

thanks for the input, friendo

if you enjoy it, what does it matter if Veeky Forums approves of it or not?

>Why wouldn't it be?

Because tg doesn't like SJW bullshit

How is it SJW bullshit?

Degenisis is a fantastic setting and cool system.

Someone give me a run down on the setting
I saw hyprispainia and got confused
Does austro hungary exist in this setting or not

From the book

Eshaton. That’s what they call the end of the world. The
day when fire rained from the Heavens, burning the land,
scorching the people. The planet trembled, heaving in
pain like a feverish person in agony. And though Earth endured,
it was forever changed.
When Eshaton fell and the Bygone people perished,
they took with them ten thousand years of culture. The
survivors scavenged and fought for food and clean water.
Empty-eyed, they stared at the rotting vehicles of their
ancestors, wandering aimlessly through the ruins of a
once great civilization. A civilization they had shed long
ago, casually as a matter of fact, like a snake shedding its
skin. Free of morals and ethics, as naïvely as children they
looked upon their devastated world, upon landscapes
tortured by the elements, upon toxic restricted areas...
They only knew that they must hold their ground against
this new environment or succumb to it.
Time passed. The smoke above the great craters blew
away, and the people had once more erected a cultural
framework around their lives. It was still shaky, and the
nails were few and far between. Now and then, a civilization
crashed down with a din – but the building blocks were
reused. Botch jobs, but a new start after years of decline.
The year is now 2595. Europe is divided into several
warring Cultures. The people of Borca cling to the
Bygone’s relics. Frankers thrash around in the Aberrants’
pheromone net. Purgare is a land of half burnt and half
fertile plains, but all together shattered by feuds against
the Psychokinetics. The Pollen people wander from oasis
to Fractal Forest before even the last green area is devoured
by the Sepsis and the biokinetic plague. Hybrispania suffers
from a decades-long struggle for liberation and a growing
time anomaly. And beyond the Mediterranean, Africa
shines in Gold and Lapis Lazuli struggles for its existence
against a strange, aggressive vegetation.

cont

Seven Cultures, thirteen cults, countless clans. Which
peoples, philosophies, or faiths will prevail? Those that
conjure up past glory? Or those that have erected a brave
new world upon the ruins of human arrogance?
In the craters’ shadows, something is stirring. Is there a
future for Mankind at all?
Degenesis is about hope and despair. It is about people
and the conflicting priorities of human civilization, daring
to ask how far our race has truly come since we climbed
down from the trees. The world of Degenesis is like a
ruined Garden of Eden, containing the secrets and spoils
of both good and evil, of ignorance and enlightenment, of
barbarity and virtue.
As a role playing game, Degenesis presents this world
to players who portray characters (“PCs”) faced with this
inhospitable future. They’ll need to make a stand that
will influence the path of their lives and the fate of those
around them, if not the world and civilization at large – for
better or for worse. It’s up to them.

Because blacks somehow become the best and most prosperous form of human when the capitalists- errr the old world governments are destroyed.

What changes between the original and rebirth edition? Is there any reason to play the former?

Did you not actually read the setting? That's explained in detail. Europeans were fucking five ways to sunday by horrific things from beyond while the africans got off extremely lucky which is why they prospered and europe is struggling. It doesn't have anything to do with being black.

Also half the nubians are hyper capitalist still.

>Catalonia almost got what they wanted

The old rules suck ass, so IMO there's very little reason to use them.

Also the Africans are going to get their asses turned inside out when the psychovores get to them. Personally, the Europeans are safer in the end run,because those plants are going to wipe them out and make them into plant zombies

What can you do in there? sell me this setting. What powerlevels can your reach, what's the most RULES OF NATURE!! you can be?

>Good art

Generic uninspired concept art. Well trained gorilla could do it.

>interesting setting.

Generic uninspired postapo with some wierd shit to make it look superficially original.

Recently saw it on Veeky Forums and am considering throwing down the 99 euros for it.

I'll probably never run it, but goddamn am I going to enjoy reading it.

Trust me, it’s not even worth 9 euros.

Pirate it to see that you don’t like it.

Explain your reasoning, I'm interested to hear what the bad parts are.

Can someone give me the elevator pitch for this one?

Everything ranges from meh to kinda bad.

The system is retarded and the cults make fuck sense at all. Some user explained the cults are based on postwar (western) german memes, but he was overthinking it.

Dunno i read the history summary, which sounded midly interesting and pulpy, then read that the africa people went of their green eden continent towards cold and fucked europa only because "Muh slavery revenge" 1100 years ago.
Against europa, the fuck ?

There was an Ice Age. Everyone on the Equator came out pretty good

I'm the user asking but:
The setting sounds interesting, though it might not be as cool as I think it is. We'll see.
The art looks gorgeous, so that's a thing.
The gameplay has been hyped by a lot of people.

It feels like the eastern-european/post-apoc version of Shadows of Esteren. Which I greatly enjoyed.

What's the gameplay like in this? Setting and art are nice, but the way people talk about the gameplay here makes it sound like you could do some pretty fun stuff with this game.
Anyone care to elaborate?

when your skill reaches a sertain point, you don't have to roll for some stuff. The system takes your action as an insta-success

Fuck off, the Africans are cast as a bunch of jackasses that either live to rape and kill (Scourgers), or squander all their resources on waving their dicks as each other (Neolibyans). So because they feel it's their time to live up the good life they waste all their money, resources, and good tech on frivilous pursuits, rather than pooling them and cooperating with the Europeans to keep the Primer, psychonauts and psychovore from expanding and wiping out humanity. How is painting them as shortsighted buffoons that would rather gold plate and diamond-encrust their hunting rifles instead of saving themselves from mind controlling, flesh-melting plants SJW shit?

As another user said, Europe is a nightmare hellscape beset on all sides by anomalous murder zones, monsters, climate fuckery, France being a giant marsh full of blight, and rapey and kidnappy blacks routinely stopping by to sample the local women.

This. I've heard a description of the setting, but I'm not sure what it's selling other than post apocalyptic Europe.

Is the selling point that it doesn't happen in the US/Australia?

I never really cared about what Veeky Forums has to say about it. Most people that comment on it have never even played it. Or get oddly political about it.

I really love it. I have run 3 campaigns in it and am currently running one on Roll20.

Combot is tight and exciting. The art is amazing. The story gives you a lot to work with. You are able to run multitudes of fun campaigns in it.

Although its not perfect. The books are very vague. Although that gives it lots of leeway for the Dm to run things, it makes it hard. It doesn't give the Dm much tools at all for running the game. How strong is the average person? Or the niche translation errors that kinda throw you off the first read through before you get it.

All in all, I think I will keep running it. If I get bored of my Judge campaign, I might move onto a Spitalian war campaign or Apocalyptic one. Whatever strikes me.

For the same reason that zombie apocalypse settings tend to come off as masturbation material for survivalists I would say a surplus of black people going around raping and pillaging is on the exact opposite side of the spectrum as SJW bullshit. It's like saying "There's too many orcs to kill in this setting. This setting is orc friendly bullshit"

You have core stats, and minor stats governed by their respective core stats. So for example, to fight with a melee weapom, you'd have BODY+Melee. You takr your ranks in BODY and ranks in Melee, then +/- modifiers, and that total js how many d6 you roll for your action. Then, depending on difficulty of an action, you need a certain number of successes (4+). 6s are successes that can improve a successful outcome depending on how many you get in your rolls (attack again with small weapons, ignore penalties for unwieldy weapons, extra damage, activate special abilities, melt i to shadows, really nail your attempt to rile a crowd, etc.).

Combat is hilariously lethal, especially against any Homo degenesis types (mutant humans with wacky psychic powers) or marauders (techno-liches). As a result, combat should be handled carefully and exploit the environment when possible to avoid a party wipe, and the big monsters should be more story leads or things to run from due to how fast they can kill you.

Unlike what makes it sound like, it takes quite a bit of time to reach the point where a skill tree is maxed out due to how leveling works, and what they didn't say is that you can have a max of 12d6 rolled.

But what's happening with America and Asia? The continents that matter?

You can't take boats anywhere except the med because of something in the water. Basically boats in the open sea never come back.

Asia is a single massive wall of fungal horror.

Europe is kept in equilibrium by several colonies of the reality warping monsters vying for dominance and thus making the place semi habitable.

African has it's own horrible plants which are slow but keep other species of the creatures at bay, making northern african habitable.

I think there is an expansion book planned for a story set in North America, or at least touching on what happened. Killing Game just came out recently, though, and they do Degenesis as a side project, so the next book probably won't be out for quite some time.

What's their main project?

As far as I can tell, they're just some artist/design studio. They happen to like Veeky Forums stuff, and made Degenesis as a side labor of love for some ideas they had kicking around, working on it when they have free time and the finances to allow it. It kind of shows, considering that some of the mechanics are a bit rough around the edges, but the books go all out on their design elements, artwork, sketches, etc.

roleplaying is largely rooted in generics, silly.

>France being a giant marsh full of blight, and rapey and kidnappy blacks routinely stopping by to sample the local women.
Art imitates life

Post Spitalians

>Degenerate: The Cuckening
lol

It's undoubtedly post apocalyptic, but because it's set 500 years after the event, the world has largely moved on from what happened and settled back into various states of technological advancement. As far as Europe is concerned, if you're in a big city such as Justitian (Cologne, Germany) then you see a bit of the old world seep through, otherwise it's pretty medieval with people tilling fields and moving trade caravans on horseback.
Africa has gone full capitalism with the Bank of Commerce running nearly everything and funding expeditionary forces into Europe with the help of giant surge tanks and scout vehicles, automatic rifles and cults dedicated to fucking shit up and taking the spoils back to their homeland.
Throw into the mix that it's a classless game but your cult provides you with a unique flavour and viewpoint into the world, it means you can mix things up pretty easily if you want.

Back to /pfg/ kiddo.

At some point in the past, thirteen giant barges with triangular sails landed at Franka's coast and are assumed to have been Chinese merchants. At this point however, the Spore Wall has spread so far that Asia's probably having deal with swarms of biokinetics at this point.

Additionally, we have confirmed that Yellowstone erupted in its full glory, drowning the majority of America under a thick layer of ash. Perhaps five hundred years later, it might have recovered. There's a big chance the Americas are just completely devoid of intelligent life however.

Marko mentioned in an inteview that Palers play a pretty big role in the Black Atlantic which makes sense if ash clouds choke out much of the population.

>France being a giant marsh full of blight, and rapey and kidnappy blacks routinely stopping by to sample the local women.
Not him but I remember having the same impression after I read different sects thoughts on each other. You would think European sects would hate their guts but it wasn't even close, they said something about Africans being misunderstood or savage.

Franka is in a unique spot. The resistance sees the Africans as invaders but at the same time the rest of Franka needs them.
They bring trade, supplies and work, but most of all the Anubians supply Marduk oil which lets them fight back against the Pheromancers.
The Frankans are a second class according to The Killing Game and will never get back in charge as long as the Africans around, but the Pheromancers would rather see humanity exterminated or dominated which makes sticking with The Lion in its new den is the lesser evil.
The Balkhan and the Hybrispaniards just flat out hate the Africans.

For the most part, the Resistance seems to thrive without too much assistance from the Africans, at least from the description in the books. It's mostly the Frankans by the Southern coast that are second class to Africans, right?

The resistance is definitely growing.
Toulon on the south coast was the example given and the Frankans there were second class citizens. Many working in the docks, scrapyard and powerplants and earn next to nothing, but are charged fees when they don't meet their quotas. The result is that they're suppressed further, making them angrier and riper for rebellion.