EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Legendary Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: You get a game where you and all your opponents are playing the same commander. Not the same deck (necessarily) but the same commander. Who is it and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hapatra-death-by-snake/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/multiplayer-shenanigans-3/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bolas or mizzix since theyre the most common generals I play

>You get a game where you and all your opponents are playing the same commander. Not the same deck (necessarily) but the same commander. Who is it and why?
4 different Riku of Two Reflections decks because we are all johnnys but not that creative

Sakashima vs sakashima vs sakashima vs sakashima

First person to play a real threat loses

Manifold Insights is not bad. It just gets progressively worse the less players are in the game.

In a game of like 6 players, it's pretty damn good. Plus it's fun.

I need some advice with this hapatra deck.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hapatra-death-by-snake/

I guess in 6 player games it's decent

this
much like guided passages people assume they play bad cards in their decks
critical mass of good cards make this impossible to whiff

Even in a standard 4-player game it's not BAD there's just probably better options.

But it's still fun. I like interactive cards that force people to make choices like that.

Even if all your cards are good that doesn't mean they will all be good at that moment. If you flip some ramp in the lategame with plenty of mana they will just give you that and then you'll be sad.

On the other hand if you were just gonna draw those 10 cards naturally they still would've been bad. The main problem with the card is if you had 1 or 2 cards in the top 10 that you really needed then you definitely aren't getting them so it's like what's the point of a card selection card where you don't get to actually filter for stuff you want?

>Thread Question
Karona, False God.

fun cards dont have to be bad, save the fun cards for an effect that actually effects the game not a fundamental of blue that youre opting to play a worse version of MANY available cards

if youre on a budget its fine but if someone is asking for help on their deck this is an INSTANT cut considering they werent playing fact or fiction, sphinx's rev, ponder, cryptic command, serum visions, dig through time, foresee, treasure cruise, blue suns zenith

manifold insights is only for budget decks since there will always be better options

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hapatra-death-by-snake/
you can do better than Commander's Sphere unless you plan on recurring it
id add more ramp over all as well i counted 7 real ramp cards get that closer to 10

id also add stuff like night's whisper, small draw spells to get you going.

needs more ramp
more draw
looks great aside from that i LOVE these hapatra decks I really wish someone in my playgroup would play it

Alright i'll look into it

oh btw if I was to build my own happy deck, what are your favorite/most favorite -1/-1 cards?

If Counterspell is good enough to run in any deck with blue, is Lightning Bolt good enough in any deck with red?

>You get a game where you and all your opponents are playing the same commander. Not the same deck (necessarily) but the same commander. Who is it and why?

Everybody is playing Narset. They all kill themselves after the game.

How does one effectively utilize this card in Commander?

no
lightning bolt is not a good card in edh

Lili Tribal.

>ponder, serum visions, foresee, treasure cruise, dig through time
I'd rather run Manifold Insight over those boring ass cards tho. But that's just me.

I love Fact or Fiction (and it's less-good counterparts) for the same exact reason as Manifold Insights. Forcing choices. Fun.

Don't run counterspell in any deck with blue, there are likely better options. Same thing with lightning bolt.

That being said, you will probably put them in monoblue or monored decks. Most people I know that we're running bolt swapped it for Abrade though. Better options for one more mana

I need a new commander.

Recommend me something, anything. Feel free to ask me any sort of question that will help.

whats a good extort deck?

Uncle Karl.

Favorite color?

What are your favorite colors to play as? What kind of deck do you usually go for?

Looking for ways to get Phage out of the command zone without losing the game. I have sundial of the infinite, torpor orb, platinum angel, command beacon, countering it and then returning it to my hand, what else works? Mono black deck of course.

What's your favorite color(s)? Tribe? Mechanic?

Do you like control? Aggro? Combo?

What's your least favorite color to play?

yes youd rather run worse cards because theyre more interesting but dont act as if that card is better than the staples

my favourite would be necroskitter since he comboes so well with so many things like crumbling ashes

Why is it boring to plan ahead and control your draws? I swear people like you don't even really like magic, the mechanics that make up the game are boring to you, you only like being a special snowflake

Foresee is very fun to play with, compared to manifold insight where you just sit there and hope your opponents are retarded

RelentlessRats.dec

Karlov. Each cast triggers each Extort separately. Shit gets crazy fast.

I never argued that Manifold Insights was better than staples. I argued that it wasn't a bad card and that it was fun.

You must get a kick out of activating Sensei's Divining Top at every end step.

Favorite colour: Black.
Least Favorite colour: White.
Favorite tribe: Zombies
I run mostly Voltron and efficent goodstuff decks.

Last thing I built was super hardcore Ghave glass cannon combo, and Lazav clones/stax.

no counterspell goes in every blue deck
people run shit like cancel still because hard counterspells are valuable and foe 2 mana its one of the best
its strictly worse than mana drain but theres no reason not to run both

if a blue deck is running a counterspell package its likely also running fucking negate

Ghoulcaller Gisa zombie tribal?

Skittles infect voltron?

Tymna/Ravos Zombies. Use Tymna to draw your cards, use Ravos to get your zombies back into your hand if you can't just cast them from the grave.

Emrakul.

I got in about 10 games or so with my Dinosaur deck over the weekend. It's fairly fun! I do need to put in some more non-dino support until Ixalan 2 drops; some of the dinosaurs are pretty underwhelming (like Shitty Scavenging Ooze: The Dinosaur). Still, fun deck.

if its not able to take the place of a staple for optimal play reasons its bad
by your logic divination and steam augury arent bad cards

and they arent, theyre just worse than good cards and if you have money you shouldnt be running those

What are the most flavorful nicol bolas win cons? (Besides wacking someone with him 3 times or dramatic isochron for infinite torment of hailfire)

I was thinking of finding a janky way to loop cruel ultimatum over and over until everyone is dead

are most Nicol Bolas decks just flavor decks?

yeah most bolas decks are flavor things
I can give you my list for ideas but its pretty goodstuff

Phage the Untouchable
Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest
The Mimeoplasm
Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder
Reaper King

Any secret tech for this guy?

You could go for a Ghoulcaller Gisa deck, a Scarab God deck, or if you have the right cards you could go for Sheoldred and build a zombie sacrifice deck.

I can't really think of any "secret" tech for him. I mean, you could theoretically just go the Voltron route, since he can be swinging for 8 trample damage the turn after you play him?

The General we have been waiting for for werewolf/transformation cards.

>optimal play reasons
user, no offense, but you sound like a complete tryhard.

Magic is a game and EDH is a casual format. The first and most important thing I consider when building decks is "is this FUN?"

Don't know if secret or obvious auto-include.

no. why would you think that?

Magic is inherently fun, I don't need to concern myself with fun when deckbuilding or playing, as long as everybody has good sportsmanship it's going to be fun

Thanks for the suggestions!

Top three choices are:
Skittles Voltron
Mimeoplasm
Sheroldred

Now, I've tried to build Mimeoplasm to much disappointment, is it more of a combo deck? That's not really my thing. Skittles seems very efficent, but I don't know a lot about the usual includes in this deck beyond ramp. Sheroldred sounds awesome, but I know nothing about how the deck would work, though I have a full suite of all the reanimator you could want.

Mimeoplasm is typically ETB and reanimator from what I understand. Combos are also possible, given that it's Sultai, but it can be built many ways.

well damn

how about something like a dragon tribe/dragonstorm deck?

I don't know how you storm off in EDH though, nobody in my group plays storm

is this good?

different people have different fun, I dont have fun winning with infinites so I never play them but other people do

I dont have fun playing shit cards but people like you do, YOU dont get to tell ME what I consider fun
but ANYONE can tell you when a card is worse than others, and manifold insights is bottom of the barrel when it comes to draw spells being sorcery speed, higher mana cost than spells that can dig for half of it and give YOU the choice in cards
manifold insights is strictly worse than dig through time and youre the type of player to pick insights over it because you would rather lose than play better cards

Better than Exsanguinate when cast for more than 6. When was the last time you cast Exsanguinate for less?

It's Exsanguinate, but double the entry cost and in a second color for double the effect. It's amazing. Orzhov staple.

>no new woodland stream foils

w-why aren't you opening packs...

storm is more common than bolas flavor decks, and more hated across the game since its jerking off on the table

dragon tribal is garbage but at least its fresh and stylish

Ghoulcaller Gisa

It's okay, it drains more than exsanguinate at 7 mana, but it's easier to make 30 mana in monoblack than black white is the thing

How many dinos are you running right now? Any of the erratad dinos?

Right now the deck is absolutely sub-optimal because I'm missing a few of the high-end things like Gishath, Goring Ceratops, and Regisaur Alpha, but that'll get fixed up.

I'm not running any of the errata'd ones at the moment, because apparently at some point I sold or traded the Deathmist Raptor I thought I had.

1. You think poison should have higher count to kill in edh?
2. You think cards like felidar sovereign should be errata'd for edh?
3. Would you want any card banned and why?

I get where you're coming from man, lean into playing fun cards instead of trying to justify them. There's quite a lot of cards for a multiplayer-centric deck that isn't group hug.
I've made a very rough brew in Esper since those seem to be the colors for voting effects in Conspiracy, check it out: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/multiplayer-shenanigans-3/
I'm not sure why I picked Merieke but I guess it was to actually have a wincon and to be able to use a bunch of Switcheroo effects to give back the creatures I've stolen and then untap Merieke to destroy them. There's a lot of fun stuff in the maybeboard that I hastily cut to get to 100 cards. Be warned though, I haven't tried the deck out in an actual match and it's possible that none of this shit works.

>storm is more common than bolas flavor decks
Even if the only storm win is dragonstorm?

1- not really, infect has enough trouble winning already against experienced players, maybe 15 tops
2 - no, these cards add variety
3 - Sol ring so as to see what would happen with deck building

I think poison should be at 20, but im the type of player to never play with someone who tries to tutor + infinite combo every game so I have a bias against players who want to end commander games before they begin

I dont really care about sovereign since creatures are the weakest perm in edh and it isnt a very interesting win so most people dont even play it

I want mana crypt, mana vault, grim monolith, and sol ring banned, save for the vault any deck out there is better with those three in the place of some land or a meh spell

Woodland Stream is only part of the Planeswalker Decks you retarded anime poster

well no but I dont see how youre going to build up a storm count while also having relevant dragons in the deck to "win" with dragonstorm

just seems bad when you could chose one or the other instead of trying to mash both playstyles together

1. No.
2. No.
3. No. Nothing in magic is impossible to deal with. Those that dont want to adapt clamor for bannings to compensate for their ineptitude. *tips*

>I'm missing a few of the high-end things like the fucking commander
dude what

1) Nah. Infect only really gets used with Skittles and Triumph of the Hordes, and those things are either not oppressive enough to warrant the change, or would just function as Overrun 2.0, respectively. It's fine.

2) Generally, no. They make new stuff with EDH in mind so it's not immediately online, and the other ones can be dealt with case-by-case. Ascendant is a bit worrying because it can do a lot of swinging before someone has removal for it in the early turns, but stuff like Sovereign is super telegraphed and fine.

I'm using this guy. The people I play with are fine with it, and I'll run Gishath in the 99, but I'll be prepared to run Gishath as the Commander (and slot in like an Eternal Witness or something, I dunno) for people who aren't cool with the silver-bordered Commander.

Thread question: Nekusar

What's wrong with Narset ?

Why would the border matter if it's your commander and it's an officially sanctioned card made by Wizards?

Because technically speaking, the HASCON promos, like all silver-bordered cards, are not legal for use in any format. Technically I can't run Grimlock as my Commander anymore than I can run Stop That or Fruitcake Elemental in my deck; that is, my group has to explicitly allow it, because otherwise it's no bueno.

That said, I wonder if they'll be more lax on that, because MaRo said that they've designed several Legendary creatures for Unstable with Commander in mind.

Oh okay

And also because unsets are fucking stupid.

The lands look nice though

>Who is it and why?
Waistora, because cuteness overload.

It's not officially sanctioned. No silver card is.

>He doesn't run at least 10 Cheatyfaces in his hand in every deck.
You're a bad.

Licia extort tribal.

Make rat.

is there any way i can mana fix with maze's end without people killing me?

How good was the freyalise precon? It looks like it was solid elf tribal but I could be retarded

Poison is fine where it is because it is nerfed by both the multiplayer aspect and the singleton aspect of commander

Felidar sovereign and Serra ascendant are fine because the multiplayer nature also nerfs them, there are more boardwipes and removal for them and Serra ascendant has quite a bit more life to chew through despite turning on instantly

If I were to ban any cards it would be Sol Ring and Mana Crypt, I think all the other fast mana has reasonable downsides that leave them as great cards but not broken, and it's reasonable to cut them from your deck. It's never reasonable to cut mana Crypt or Sol ring unless you're trying to go easy on your opponents. Even if your deck is running bane of progress null rod stony silence etc, you still want mana Crypt and Sol ring

Also it's so hard to come back from somebody starting with either of them in hand while you're playing a normal game

It's pretty solid yeah

>Thinking Counterspell is an auto include for every deck with blue.

Off the top of my head here are cards that I would run over counterspell, depending on the deck.

Pact
FoW
Disallow
Cryptic command
Swan Song
Arcane Denial
Mana Drain

That's counterspells right there. Every deck with even a little blue in it doesn't necessarily want to run 8 to justify counterspell.

It's not a bad card, but it's not something you should be jamming into every single deck.

Cool. I'll set it aside to sleeve up at some point when I'm bored with the precons I'm already rebuilding, and the Naya deck I'm putting together, and the ertai deck I'm building for league in December

Oh God I'll never play it will i

Not having a 5C commander. But then the question remains, why the hell are you using Maze's End for fixing? It takes three goddamn turns to fetch a guildgate and to be able to use it.

What's a lower level waifu deck to play with my friends?

I keep smashing them with my decks to the point of none of us have fun

Gisela is cute!

Yeah that's a solid pick actually, I have a decent amount of red and white cards after taking apart my Kalemne deck

yeah you can use all of those

AND counterspell stupid, why the fuck would you run JUST 7 fucking counterspells?

also arcane denial is dogshit
counterspell goes in every blue deck that wants counterspells