/ssss/ Far East edition

Stand stil stay silent

Thread dedicated to SSSS universe and our fan projects.

I could personally use someone to make my maps look a bit lore aestetic. Since I've finished them.

Stuff to do:
Come with ideas for systems and such
Make lore
Make art
Help Kamchatkanon make his maps look less shit

Original comic:
sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=1

Other urls found in this thread:

sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=1
youtube.com/watch?v=LEIvAuekenk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The gods don't allow Christian's...

Kinda looks like a weird animal dick hanging like that.

Functionally, I think a decent way of getting art assets for this is ripping templates straight out of the lore pages, and finding out which textures get used for the pages. The art asset thing is a simpler thing, all things considered, but fonts and textures requires asking the creator I imagine.

>Original comic:
>sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=1
>Almost 800 strips
Nope, not gonna read it or skim it. Good luck with your project, anyway

Not a whole lot of mystery there man. The whole place is cleansed.

Fuck off Floki

Fuck you! Old gods best gods!

Ok so im gonna post my maps from the ladt thread.

If any drawfags want to polish them up, I'd be very happy

I basically want them done in the style of this image, and if the OP image

but user Norse gods are new gods, Christianity is now "old mysterious and forgotten religion" of the setting.

This Kamchatka map has updated information, so I'd like this to be polished up as well

>The best mage fights are fought with fists.
MINNNNAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

What ever man!

Ny last map.

Again, if anyone can polish up the maps, in tge style of the canon map it'll be greatly apreciated.

Then i can start adding them to the potential expansion booklet

What would nomadic life be? It seems like it would be dangerous as fuck if the comic is any indication or life outside safe zones, unless they migrate through more naturally protected/ already cleared territory?

Maybe if they travel with enough haulers and heavy vehicles, they can set up and tear down forts within a day.

It gets pretty good though user, you just gotta make it through like 175 pages.
Plus all the boys are cute

I imagine it'd require a lot of scouts and cats to ensure safe routes through dangerous territory, and to lead away big groups from the main caravan. Likely with a very sparse amount of verifiably safe spots they rest at in inclement weather.

Also, I made this map legend to be slapped onto other maps. As to how nice it looks, I guess that'll be told when it's uploaded.

>Nope, not gonna read it or skim it.
I've made my way halfway through today and it's a solid read. I imagine the pacing must seem slow on a normal release schedule but the rise so far on this binge is deliberate and I can actually feel some tension during scenes.

So what's the system we are using? Shadowrun frame work? What about Dark Heresy?

We've been working on a system in-thread for awhile. So far, we've been looking at a pool system, but as to what isn't entirely decided. Maybe d10's or d6's, over the d100 system that was originally pitched.

Personally, I'd pitch a Degenesis hack, or maybe even Red Markets, but neither has a solid mechanics system for magic.

guy who is trying to make a system wants to use some kind of pool d10 system so DH as d% is straight ruled out.

the system user said he'd be probably posting an update later to the rough rulebook he's made, so discussion will probably ramp up after that

I assume you haven't been keeping up with system-anons posts.
We have a rough overview of the system pre-core mechanics getting changed. At the moment I think we're using d10 pools similar to L5R but besides that we don't have a ton of info.
Good lookin character sheet though

System-user here. I think the setting has enough potential to have its own system, or at least its own Rulebook.

Currently, I'm working on a d10 pool core mechanic. I'll post my updated rulebook once it's included, then we'll move on from there.

Difference between old world and silent world?

>Plus all the boys are cute
And I'm out

Nice doubs

No constitution?

On the note of expansions. Colonial American people in Maine would be cool. Lot of lobster and crab fishing, and blue coats and tricorns. Use the colonial flag too.

Old World is basically 'History' and generalized knowledge about how the world used to be (i.e. knowing the difference between 'Kung Fu' and 'Mandarin', as well as good places to find loot).

The Silent World is general knowledge about how the world works now, how well-read the character is on scouting reports, signs of troll nests, etc.

Silent world is monsters and stuff
Old world is pre-apocalypse info and tech

Colonial america is almost certainly all dead, it's not cold enough.
No need for con in this system/setting

>No constitution?
Folded into strength. Since the combat isn't designed around swording-and-boarding, there's no real reason to include a completely different attribute that only does a handful of things.

Plus, it makes sense to me thematically - generally speaking, stronger humans are a lot tougher.

So what might other climates be like in the wake of the infection? The comic showed that trolls, beasts and such adapt during the mutation period to whatever area they are in. Could there possibly some strange variants not seen in colder climates?

Nigga, what? You don't like cute boys?
What's wrong with you

Maines cold as shit, but I got you

How cold?

But what's that in real degrees?

If anyone in America survived, it's in the islands. Key West, Cuba, maybe some really isolated communities on the great lakes.

That is in real degrees you metric commie.

nuh uh it is in retard units. Use real units like Kelvins.

Alaska mate. North Canada as well to bad there is no infrastructure ion that region but some tribal nomads may live.
And if we talk about both Americas then Patagonia and Falklands, latter for sure as Sun Never Sets on British Empire

>Could there possibly some strange variants not seen in colder climates?
Quite likely. I mean, we've already seen that Trolls and other Grosslings don't need to look like -anything- resembling the original creature (the Jelly-Legs for example). For all we know, there could be flying, or floating Trolls in warmer climates.

Thinking of making one for the GL. I'm a WI fag and personally know places that I believe would survive. One even has a huge Nordic population.

Also, has there been a METRO 2033 reference yet? I feel like the whole world going insane would just cause every Russian to grab their trusty copy, arm up, and head into a subway.

Key West is fucked, fucking migratory birds and fish everywhere, there's too much going on with the animal life down there, it's a traditional first stop for boat people, and there are relatively short bridges over shallow water all the way from Florida mainland.

Shit, imagine if there were flying giants like this motherfucker. No wonder the warmer climates are alluded to have been fucked hard.

Cuba for similar reasons as well as the rest of the Caribbean probably. The cold is one of the biggest things to slow the illness because it limits the number and mobility of vectors that can carry it.

Same reason I'm assuming Denmark got fucked. It's like 400+ islands in that mess, and they're all fucked apart from Bornholm which is isolated as fuck, and Denmark still gets winters every now and then, despite the golfstream keeping it relatively warm even though it's about as far north as halfway up through Canada.

A Giant the size Of Phalanx in warmer climates, whilst lacking it's pacifistic tendencies, would be downright -devastating-

Lalli is Best Boy. No question.

the only person in the group I can tell is a man is the large blond guy and I can't remember names for shit

>the only person in the group I can tell is a man is the large blond guy
Mikkel is a -very- manly man. Can't aim for shit though.

Solid read, this comic

Okay, Vikingr Version 2, here we go.

Changelog:

Changed Core Mechanic to d10 pool system.
Revised armor mechanics.
Adjusted Character Creation sections.
Added 'Immunity' stat.
Added 'Leadership' skill.
Changed how characters roll for initiative.
Minor revisions to Wounding section.
Cleaned up some typos and formatting.

Overall I think the game looks a lot more solid this time around, and the d10 pool system has a lot of room for further expansion. What are your guys' thoughts?

>Overall I think the game looks a lot more solid this time around, and the d10 pool system has a lot of room for further expansion. What are your guys' thoughts?
Looking good so far user! It's definitely shaping up into something great so far.

Troll Incoming!

This is pretty good user, its pretty clean and tight so far and I'm liking the general feel of everything.

>contacts

Contacts can be a super cool way make a character feel special! Almost like a board game. I imagine some players will feel a connection to the contact they pick. Maybe one dude really like the military, so his contact resembles that. I feel like a set list should be put together, with motives, stories, and characteristics assigned to each!

Looking good.
Most all of my criticism now is for things that will naturally be ironed out as the rules are written out.
Everyone, you're welcome for suggesting the obviously superior d10 system
System-user, not that I want to or anything but if you want help writing this thing out I'd be willing, I understand that it can be a lot of work for one person.

Like when the retired General in the support team blackmails that ship captain? That'd be great. Would a support (radio) crew be tied into Contacts, or be independent from that system?

I'll throw my hat in with this guy also, I'm sure a lot of us would love to help.

So if a party goes out, they should have a radio always. A expedition is guarantied to fail without one. The radio crew is simply like a secretary for the town I would say, you call, they answer, then you ask for who you want to speak too.

How many contacts per party is the question. I feel like 2 MAX. It can net you pretty nice rewards if done correctly. Military dude could get a shipment of guns and ammo to you. A librarian could provide you with much needed intelligence on something crucial. A stock house manager could find a way to get rations and candles to you. Things like that!

>Rations and candles
Same thing though

Thanks so much, guys! The d10 pool was indeed a great call. Thinking it be fun for Helvegen if the dice didn't use the Precision.

As for help, I think I have a handle on things for now. 'For now' being the operative words. Once I have more details down, I'll need a ton of help fleshing everything out.

For now though, if you guys have good ideas for systems (or found them in another game), let me know!

>Same thing though
Goddammit Mikkel.

I'd imagine planning the expedition would be a big deal, and possibly even getting the aid or attention of the government or another backer. You'd get your funds and have to spend it on gear, vehicles, and supplies, and there could possibly be interaction with Contacts?

CD's and DVD's would be useless because of the reflective surfaces degrading and flaking off over 90 years right?
Or due to lack of tech needed to access their data?

>d10 pool was a great call
Bitch, I know it

>Ideas
I guess all my ideas atm are in regards to the magic system and how we're gonna do that but that's probably something for another time
If you need help thinking up "Qualities" or Tactics or whatever, im sure we can help.

There is for sure some amount of candle in their food. what else are they doing with the candles?

Yes, we see instances of dvd's having essentially disintegrated into nothing and none of the characters even knew what it was

>CD's and DVD's would be useless because of the reflective surfaces degrading and flaking off over 90 years right?
Or due to lack of tech needed to access their data?
A little bit of Column A, and a little bit of Column B I think. Technology has definitely regressed quite a bit since the Outbreak.

Sigrun a cute, idgaf that she has the manliest face on the team after Mikkel

Hey, buddy, I really don't have time to read through the whole comic right now, but you got me curious.
Your maps look great, but don't take into account actual, like, real topography. Let me start with my RL home region, Primorsky Krai, which I'm most familiar with. I can also give you first-hand accounts on Kamchatka and Sakhalin too, but that's later.
>Vladivostok is a not-freezing port IRL
There almost certainly must be some kind of a military outpost there.
>Vladivostok itself is located on the peninsula and the islands, not on the mainland near it.
Unless it's moved in your setting, of course.
>Any road to Nakhodka and further along the coast, a railroad more so, would be incredibly hard to build the way you drew it.
The shore is irregular, with a lot of decently high cliffs along the coast at some places and flat(ish) terrain in the others.
>The inland roads are kinda preposterous too.
Take a look at a height map. Sikhote-Alin' mountains are a ripe mess of steep hills and cliffs. The only road that is kinda realistic is the one leading from VL northward to the lake. And even then it would much rather pass through Ussuriysk city area, therefore curving east in the middle.
>Kamen-Rybolov is a village shithole in the middle of nowhere (so are Chuguevka, Olga, and especially Svetlaya).
There are small-ish cities not too far away from the places you chose that are better-located to be actually defensible (KR -> Spassk-Dalny, Chuguevka -> Arsenyev).
>Khanka lake is just a giant murky swampy pond.
Hydroelectric dam and salmon aqua-farm really are not possible there.
>Back to Svetlaya. Honestly, it's just not feasible to use as a port of any sorts.
Come on, it's a village with less than 800 people today and there's not even a pier there. There's a town called Sovietskaya Gavan' just a few hundred miles north, which is an actual port.

Hope I'm not too clueless about the whole setting thing and my advice might be helpful at all.

Yes, Sigrun is best girl(female)

Thanks Russianbro!

But we all know Reynir is best girl(male)

This is pretty great, but I'll just call out my gripes and small criticisms by section as I read through.

>Core Mechanics
If there's ever a need for a system to roll 20d10, something's gone awry. You're better off either having flat statistical bonuses to a dice roll, or using d6's.

>Attributes and Skills
So functionally, I like the attribute and skill distribution, but the aforementioned problem could lead to an ungodly amount of dice being rolled regularly.

>Contacts
I really like this system, though it should probably be defined in-thread as to what kind of support an expedition can expect to receive. Maybe splitting the types by their prestige, and the actual type of contact they have.

>Combat
Switch out Strength for Wisdom, and initiative makes more sense. As it stands now, combat is still using this weird system like the rest of the game, and probably won't be nailed down till we fix this dice thing.

Other than that, I like this a lot.

That's the idea behind contacts! It works very similar to the Shadowrun Contact system (except for that you don't have to worry about loyalty), where you can spend points during character creation to determine how many you have, and how good they are at their jobs.

For instance, if you spend all your points on a single, powerful mage, you can call on some magical support later on. Or you can have lots of different contacts that won't give you the five-star treatment, but can give you a better-rounded start. (I.e. a Lieutenant in the Military who can get you some a crate of AP ammo, a mage student who you can contact if the radio is destroyed, and an apprentice Wrench Monkey who will tag along and fix up your vehicle.

Im not system-user, just as a preface

>dice pools
Im personally a fan and until we see/work out the progression system I see little reason how a character could feasibly hit the 20d10 limit without dumping literally all their points into one skill and stat.

>Initiative
I agree, it should probably be wis or potentially a skill of some sort but almost certainly not str(which should probably be renamed body or something).

>Contacts
I was also thinking about this. Who, where, and how many contacts you have could/do have are all probably things we can tie into the quality section but in addition to this I was thinking of forcing my players to each roll a "resource pool", a party shared pool of money representative of whatever government or private backing they may have, to see how many things(contacts, vehicles, rations, wespons, etc) they may start their expeditions with but that's not really relevant.

Fuck im so ready to play this game!

Ain't we all user, ain't we all.

For real though it's shaping up to be pretty great.

Because of the isolation, and low population of todays siberia, nomadism is barely survivable. There are no where near as many trolls as down south.

Their numbers are slowly dwindeling though.

I kek'ed

System-user here.
>Contacts
Agreed 100%. They could also be divided into different degrees of support depending on what they do. For instance, a political contact can help secure additional finances for your Expedition, but he certainly won't have the time or ability to support you any further.
>Switch out Strength for Wisdom, and initiative makes more sense.
Also agreed 100%, it really shouldn't have been Strength, must have been a typo on my part. I'm not sure if I want to it to be Wisdom, but it should be a Core Attribute, making it a skill is just too much bloat. Leadership COULD work (I'm planning to add Tactics that use Leadership like a force multiplier), but it feels weird having a an Initiative roll be based on Charisma.
>Other than that, I like this a lot.
Thanks!

>dice pools
I also like the system I came up with. Here's my reasoning why I chose that limit - as you said, unless they're specializing to a dangerous degree, you won't be rolling 20d10's off the bat. Another reason I don't think it's a big deal is because you can always use a dice roller app or site to cover the difference. I'm used to playing games on roll20 though, so this is personal bias talking.
>Initiative
See my arguments above.
>Contacts
Later on, I'll be adding a whole section on how to plan an Expedition. The basic idea is that there's different types of Expeditions, each one requires different prep work and has different requirements to meet funding. These Expeditions can include Extraction (where a previous Expedition of vikingr has gone awry, and they need immediate evacuation), Resource Collection (guarding a team of workers as they strip down abandoned vehicles, houses, and buildings for raw materials), Book Hunt (what SSSS is currently doing), and Intelligence (the most difficult and dangerous expedition, which involves scouting deep into the Silent World).

Glad you enjoyed the meme user.

Your advice is apreciated.
I mostly drew it up using heightmaps and village locations, and sorta drew the railways between them.

Although small village shitholes becoming settlements is a thing i used on purpose, since there wouldn't be many infected there.

You're welcome. I've started reading the comic and will probably hang around, what I see in this thread does correlate to my interests. If you guys here have questions about Far Eastern Russia (both city life and wilderness) - feel free to ask. Questions about national minorities and natives are alright too - I keep contact with a few friends from Yakutia and also know a few people born in native families, will forward any questions.

>I wrote this book for you, Emil. Do you like how I shipped you with Lalli?

youtube.com/watch?v=LEIvAuekenk

Yeah, from a first glance that should work, but there's not a single straight piece of road or railroad I've seen in the region. Adding some curves and bends for the inland roads, a tunnel here and there would be quite realistic, if you ask me. That's basically how railroads are here - always curving in the lowlands and, in the few places where it's inevitable, going under mountains.

As for the cities and villages - in Russia a city is generally a settlement with at least 10000 inhabitants, and some places are legally considered cities even with as few as a 1000. The two I mentioned are around 50k each, and Vladivostok is currently at about 700k. With the numbers in the map description that seems like a lot, so I guess you're right on that account. However, here's an non-intuitive bit of trivia - villages in Primorye are mostly built in flat (at least as flat as possible) areas, and cities are on the sea shore and/or by the mountains. River transport is not really utilized because our rivers are numerous but small, so there's no real reason to build a city by the river.

And since we're on the subject of rivers - Salmon Hatcheries you put on maps are a great bit, but there definitely won't be any on the Hanka lake (which has no outflow to the Sea of Japan). There might be some in Vladivostok general area, but only if it's largely abandoned, otherwise the few small rivers there are will stay as shallow and dirty as they are in RL today. Putting hatcheries onto the eastern and north-eastern coastline, maybe a dozen miles inland or so, is the right approach, which will also justify building a road and safe-ish settlements there (since there's fuck all in terms of resources there otherwise).

Just give whatever commentary youbxan on the maps.
That way i can revise them (yet again)
I more accurate depiction makes the setting more fun IMO

>Troll-Shippers.
Jesus Christ, how horrifying.

Alright then, here's the shortlist of issues with Primorye map:
1. Move Vladivostok onto the peninsula where it's actually located. It's mountainous, it's easily defensible (I mean, the city itself is the last pre-World War fortress humanity built), it has a non-freezing bay. Or even better - on the Russky Island, the biggest island on the local map. The only way there is a massive bridge built a few years ago, it has all the necessities for survival, and would be able to house tens of thousands even today. It would make a decent safe are, IMO.
2. Make a note that the railroad along the coast is a feat of engineering - it's basically all bridges and tunnels as you drew it.
3. Move salmon to the east coast and remove the hydroelectric dam altogether. It's windy and sunny here all year long, and there's not a single river big enough to make a dam, even a small one, worth building.
4. Add some stuttering and bends to the railroads inland, those will be seen even on a map that size.

Sorry I wasn't here sooner with my local ramblings.
Will do a post on Kamchatka map soon.

Thabk vert much.

Will do an update when i get back home