ITT: Make a Low-Magic, Comfy Spellbook

Bar The Way: With a magic circle drawn on it and a word of power, the mage bars an ordinary door or gate so that none may pass. Determined opponents may still batter down the door frame.
Spell Components: Three nails and a stick of chalk.

Shared Sight: The caster ceases to see through their own eyes and instead sees through those of the last person or creature they touched before casting the spell.
Spell Components: The eye of a newt or a believable facsimile to stare into while chanting.

Crafting Dwam: Under the light of the full moon and with tools in hand, the caster breathes in smoke from burning the spell components and is put in a dazed state that lasts until sunrise breaks. While under the effects of the spell, the caster's body automatically crafts whatever they last thought of using nearby materials. It takes much concentration to picture complex objects. An untrained caster is more likely to make a sculpture of the object's outer appearance.
Spell Components: Still-green twigs from nearby trees and cloth the caster has worn for a week and a day.

Pure Touch: The caster's fingers begin to glow upon finishing the incantation. The spell's effects continue for up to a minute, during which anything the glowing fingers come into contact with is cleansed of impurities. Each purifying touch spends the glow of one finger. Magical poisons and supernatural corruption may take multiple castings to cleanse.
Spell Components: Holy or otherwise purified water and a piece of cloth kissed by a maiden to dip in the water and hold to the lips while chanting.

Other urls found in this thread:

yarukizero.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/witch-quest-book-ii.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Astrological Insight: The caster stands outside under a clear night sky and analyzes the stars and their relative positions to determine vague portents of the future.

Angelic Seance: By means of a clear glass orb set into a magic circle written in chalk and speaking the names of the gods, the caster may communicate with invisible intangible beings from a higher reality which are often great sources of knowledge.

Angelic Familiar: By similar means to the above, though without the necessity of the glass sphere, the caster summons one of these higher beings into the physical world in a form only he can see. The being cannot effect the physical world, but can travel through solid objects at great speeds, making excellent spies and informants. The being can also communicate with distant persons if they are also spiritually aware [that is, also a caster].

Astral Projection: Through meditation and the performance of certain religious rites, the caster temporarily exits his body, and is able to move as an Angelic Familiar. With more advanced versions of this Art he can pass into the heavenly worlds.

Directed Levitation: Place the components in a magic circle and recite the incantation. The rod will become imbued with the ability to levitate small objects, but the rod must be pointed at the object for levitation to continue. The object will follow the rod's directions, but will still be stopped by solid objects. The length of the spell is greatly shortened if the mass of the object being levitated is large.
Spell Components: A solid rod/stick at least 20 cm long made of any material, does not need to be perfectly straight. Eggshells from any bird that can fly, bird feathers (preferably from the same bird)

Tamed Fire: Crumple the paper with the chalk dust inside using both hands, recite the incantation and blow into the ball while keeping hands tightly grasped around the ball (leave some room to blow through). The fire will ignite and will continue to burn for several minutes without needing fuel, and without burning any living creature. It will still spread to non-living flammable materials, and will act as normal fire there.
Spell Components: A sheet of paper, chalk dust produced while drawing other magical inscriptions.

>low-magic
>Angel summoner
user, pls.

Moon's Hold: By channeling the filtered power of the moon, the caster creates a binding ring of light around a creature. Those inside cannot move for as long as the caster channels the spell. However, this spell requires constant moonlight to keep running, and if the moon becomes obscured, the spell breaks. Additionally, the more waxing the moon, the less power the spell has to hold its targets.
Spell Components: A small hand-held mirror.

Naming Ritual: This ritual reveals a person, creature or object's true name by whispering it into the ear of the caster. True Names are used as components in higher magics and to reach targets with spells regardless of distance. Receiving one's Name is a rite of passage in many cultures.

Knowing one's true name is also necessary to become a spellcaster, and forcing a spellcaster to permanently forget theirs is a common final punishment within Hedge Circles and other magic groups.

Spell Components: A thimble of the target's blood for people and creatures. The same amount but in water the target has been fully submerged in for a week and a day for objects. The components must be ten and one years old.

Summon Inconvenience- The caster places a small object like a tack or a rock and places it inside an article of clothing marked with an illustration of the intended victim's face while chanting a series of magic words. For three days the victim's clothing will fill with the chosen small object, causing great discomfort but no harm. Originally taught by visiting witch, deans at the magical academy have tried to stamp out knowledge of the spell for years but it has since become a tradition for graduating seniors to teach it to freshmen in secret.

See Me Not Knot - Enchanting a thin rope under a moonless sky to hide you from plain sight - tying that rope as a noose around your neck makes you less noticeable to people, not invisible, everyone just thinks you belong where you are. The tighter the noose when you apply it, the more powerful the spell becomes. Once the spell is activated the only way to tell the duration left is by the noose loosening itself, until eventually when it falls off your neck leaving you revealed to the world.

Linked Hearths: Creates a link between two locations, such that when something is burned in one location, it appears in the other. Do not use on living creatures.

Spell Components: A fairly complex rune circle, two halves of one object that has been broken in half, two people to perform the spell in tandem. Inscribe the rune circle in both locations: it may be best to use something more permanent than chalk, such as etching metal or carving stone. Place one half of the object into each circle. At the same time, light the object and recite the incantation. The more valuable the object, the stronger the link. Since value in this case is determined by emotional attachment, this spell is frequently used by lovers and family members that live far away.

Create Moss Golem- Typically taught as a stepping stone to understanding more advanced golem theory the caster takes the various moss covered rocks used as components and places them in a bowl of fresh water. Thinking strongly of the desired result the caster chants the magic words and drips a single drop of their own blood on the rocks. The moss grows to bind the rocks into a very basic (and stupid) golem.

Used more for practice and companionship more than anything else it is nonetheless remembered fondly by many wizards and witches.

That's the kind of magic spell I love. It's super simple, but has a lot of uses to the creative. Theoretically, with enough moss, stone, and blood, you could make huge ones.

I actually really like this concept - simple spells for a more folksy type of magic. Honestly feels like stuff you might actually see.

>A large scroll composed of various wooden tiles is set on the table and is unfurled revealing rows of foreign characters that line the various planks

Summon lantern servert - A simple spell that bounds a spirit to an old old lantern turning it into a servitor for the convience of the caster. While the caster can leave the lantern unadorned and as they had bought it from the store they often indulge the summoned spirits of their lantern servents by painting them and adding another lantern and paper limbs to form a crude body. This also has the effect of making the lantern spirit happy and far more willing and eager to serve their masters.

Thanks. I recently ran a dnd campaign for my little sister, my wife, and their friends. Had to do things a tad differently to engage them.

For my little sister she sometimes (many times) wanted to do magical things outside of her spells abilities but super basic so I would have her roll to see if it succeeded. We decided this spell was a practice spell taught to her by her teacher and she needed to do it every day to stay up on her studies.

Basically meant she needed to draw one every session to show her character's growth. It was fun, and now I got a small folder of moss golem pictures from her.

Sound of Autumn rain - Taking a preserved brown leaf from the previous autumn the user will dab rain water of that season and spinkle it on the leaf and gently blow on it. The area will become surrounded with a damp fog and a perpetual rain will fall. While in this foggy rain no sound can be heard except for the gentle patter of rain.

I like the concept of all the spells have material components.

>It was fun, and now I got a small folder of moss golem pictures from her.
That's adorable. Post some?

Create Freeze Potion/Freeze: A potion that can be added to liquids to make them freeze.

Spell Components: A block of ice with the proper rune carved into it. Collect the water that results from the ice melting while the simple incantation is repeatedly chanted. Once the water is collected, bottle it up for later use. If done correctly, it should take on a tinge of teal.

To use, add the potion to another liquid, and say the release word while looking at the water. Using more potion will freeze more water. Frequently used to store cold for the summer months, this simple potion is common and most people have seen how to use it. Is occasionally used to encase objects in ice, either for food preservation (meat), as a practical joke (someone's hand while they sleep), or in rare cases torture.

Channel Gossip - Used by partygoing and socializing casters for the sake of curiosity or to gain the upper hand on a rival. Burning a strip of holy writ in a pipe made of ivory the caster is privy to all the mundane gossip and embarrassing trivia of the people at the event where the caster is at. Does not reveal serious law breaking such as murder or treason. Commonly used by fortune tellers who dont want to waste the components for a more in depth divining spell.

Components: Pipe made out of ivory, strip of paper from holy scripture.

Unseen Guardian: the caster study a child and then can, with a ritual chanting that goes on for an hour or so, summon an angelic being that guides a child for [months per speller caster levels]. The guardian is unseen and can only have a limited impact in the etheral world, but the child see it as an "imaginary friend" and the guardian will help and entertain the child to the best of his abilities.
Material component: a hair of the child, taken willingly.

Btw you guys should check this out: yarukizero.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/witch-quest-book-ii.pdf

I'd have to find it, might be able to convince her to send me a new one.

It's funny. I got this place called the Roaneida coast that is basically fantasy maine covered in magical fallout bordered by scalping indians and a black guard city state. But after watching Little Witch Academia I decided it also would have an all male wizarding school that has opened its doors to female casters because so many (think 60%) of the region's male population has died. The indians solemnly respect the witches, and the black guards dont see the area worth the effort to subjugate. The young witches spend a lot of their studies cleaning the region's villages and forests of magical horrors.

Ended up making a lot of stuff with her, its like the one spot of comfy in a horrible place.

Heavy Roanoke, Innistrad, Little Witch Academia, and IT influences.

Grow: cause plants to grow a week's worth in a day.

Spell Components: remains of living creatures, ampule of blood from caster. Bury the remains, and place drops of the caster's blood in a hexagonal pattern around the grave. Utter the word. The blood should briefly glow, and then plants within a small radius of the area will begin to grow quickly. The larger the remains and the more blood is used, the larger the area affected.

This slightly macabre spell is based in the cycle of life and death. Used frequently by farmers, repeated castings can be used to get more harvests during a single season, but it is difficult to obtain the remains and blood required for large-scale applications. Also used by clerics to turn shallow battlefield graves into flower fields.

First Love's Philter: Made with honeycomb and a hearfelt love-letter mixed using a mortar and pestle, and boiled in a small cauldron with many flowers, this potion will create an infatuation with the letter's writer in the one who drinks it that lasts from one moonrise to the next. The person who drinks it develops an immunity the moment it wears off, and those who have felt love's kiss are can't be affected. Anyone who has experienced heartbreak before is also resistant to the effects. The philter is often passed around at festivals, and in some communities it's a common rite of courtship.

>He doesn't know who John Dee is
>He thinks summoning intangible intelligence is high magic

I bet you don't even speak Enochian.

It would actually be OP in most settings with nobles. Maybe something like a clip of a nail from the "investigated" individual, or it depends on what is known around about said individual.

Also, what the fuck are they doing here? They can't read the tarots. They're either watching the snake or sorceress' tits. I mean, there is a lot to watch, but still.

>inb4 dude didn't you hear about mammamancy

Randomize pastry: The caster prepares a pastry like normal, but places fragments of a fairy pillow inside of the dough. When baked the pastries will have random flavors from all over the world, strongly aromatic and deeply enjoyable. Each flavor brings with it a flash of a pleasurable memory, such as running through a sunny field of flowers without getting tired or cuddling with a loved one in front of a fireplace on a snowy night. These sensations are mild, as if remembering them instead of experiencing it recently.

Components: Pastry ingredients and fragments of a fairy pillow.

A fairy pillow is a small rock or pebble that a fairy has used as a pillow, becoming infused with the taste of their dreams. Fairies value these pillows, rarely trading them cheaply but often giving them to friends. If the fairy has been having bad dreams it can infuse the pillow with sad visions like cats meowing in the rain or the feeling of being lost and knowing no one wants to find you. While some casters will steal the pillows, the risk of getting one infused with bad dreams leads to most casters trading honestly for them or waiting to receive them as gifts.

I think the idea is the sorceress is pitching her wares.

Bottled Sound: captures the sound of a given place in a bottle as smoke. Once the sound has been captured, it can be bound to the bottle.

Etch a glass bottle with an inscription. Then simply open the bottle, and let it fill with smoke as it captures sound. Once the bottle is full with smoke, cap it off. Completing a secondary etching over the bottled glass will cause the smoke to bond to the glass and color it. To listen to the sound, open the bottle. It must be re-filled with smoke for repeated listenings.

A popular use is to store songs played by a bard, or the lively noise of a tavern in the evenings. Some places keep archives of these bottles containing advice from elders. Some parents and grandparents will record themselves on their deathbed for their children to listen to, if the child is not old enough to understand them.

I vaguely recall something like this in a similar thread. Have you talked about this before or been in the world building threads?

We have similar interests my friend.

She sure has some assets to pitch.

Shit is too limited, oddly enough. I mean, doesn't it only work on whoever has been chaste his whole live? Or even not been in love?

That's actually the right amount of cute AND "shit can go wrong in a comfy way".

Comfy

>Spell Components
A tuft of tinder, a lit fire, and a drop of mint oil, cinnamon extract, or lavander concentrate.
For best results, use a shaving of sandalwood and a drop of incense.

>Method
Light the tinder on one end, and drop the extract onto the middle. Slowly make a circle around the intended person until the embers reach the fingers. Snuff out the flame at the foot of the caster.

Minor ailments from issues of the mind (i.e. exhaustion, fear, or drowsiness) are banished for the day, leaving the intended person with warm thoughts. The spell's effects end at the next sundown. Witches and Magicks Professors often use this spell to keep themselves awake.

yeah, I wrote a bit months ago. But I've been working on the setting as a way to blow off steam for about 7 years.

It started as a dnd world I wanted to share with people, but I have horrendous luck getting players together. MacBeth production levels of bad luck seems to happen that always break my groups up. People deploying, relatives dying and people moving back home to help the family, work scheduling people only in the evenings, etc. Most groups never make it past session 3.

Except for the group with my sister, my wife, and their friends. We got through a whole 7 part adventure. So Im pretty stoked on that. I've been injecting the setting with comfy here and there for years, but now that they sat through it and enjoyed it I decided just to embrace the comfy.

I imagined it being babby witch's first potion, and more a thing for teenager's than a useful potion.

Yeah but still honestly, even imagining comfy little village innawoods, how could you be sure s/he wasn't in love with anybody before and didn't tell anyone? Does the witch sell the whole package of surprisngly high level divination spell to be sure it works? Does she accets refund on the base of "granma how the fuck was I supposed to know she actually liked the fucking dwarf's son, for Pelor's sake!"?
Shit would kinda funny as this is, actually, but I hope the witches get the memo "NOT be in the same area for maybe five years". Unless it's really cheap.

Also the idea of the one night stand might be a little edgy for Comfy: The Comfiness setting. I know the Philter of Love is hilariously akin to a date rape drug but...
Maybe just a smaller infatuation that goes on for a lunar month but isn't certainly going to let the target have just like a one night stand per se, or that it increments the amount of "well I don't exactly LOVE him but he's cute, maybe...", I don't know.

It's pretty good idea, but I'd tweak it a little.

>familiar doing the job for the witch

Jesus, what are the trade unions doing?

If you want certified comfiness you should check out Golden Sky Stories as well btw.

Mage Bread: Kneaded with bits of Silvertree fruit and baked using magical fire, slices of this bread are an effective way to combat mana exhaustion. Care must be taken that none of it gets into the hands of irresponsible people, as a single slice can make most animals grow three feet in size, all-around. A loaf getting lost is often cause for a call to the adventurer's guild.

It's just infatuation, not a full on love potion, user.

Ghostwriter: A low-level spell used by masterful elders and court recorders alike. Conjuring requires paper from dust trees cultivated in the Northern regions and a pen or quill fed with ink of a lesser molluscoid. Upon activation the writing utensil in question will begin to write the user's thoughts on the dust paper, saving attention and time.

In that case I was wrong, I read it as something that teenagers get... thinking not on the longer term, so to speak.

Create Snow Golem - Those students that have diligently practiced Moss Golem creation will typically be prepared to make the move to the next step by winter break. The caster creates a regular snowman saving the head for last. After creating a ball of snow big enough the caster will plunge their head into the ball. Muttering the magic phrase the caster's essence is absorbed into the snow. When placed on top of the rest of the snowman's body and sealed with a piece of the caster's clothing the spell is complete.

A must have spell for anyone serious about their snow fights, as most students are. Academy staff normally lets the students have the days off after a good snow, knowing that the practical learning such fierce competition gives is hard to come by.

>Summon Smallfolk
To enact this spell, you need to prepare a handful of varied foodstuffs, and possibly a small trinket, an inch tall being the maximum height, or else the smallfolk won't come tou your call.

Smallfolk are named as such since they are, well, small people. The only supernatural ability is their movement speed, enough to avoid any grasping hands and boot sole, but in all other ways, they're basically small humans that you can get to help you with stuff. Get a cobbler smallfolk to help you shine your shoes, a cook smallfolk to teach you a new recipe. If you keep feeding them, and provide a small living space, they may even stay for as long as you want.

I like this.

Aren't these just brownies?
Gotta have a dish of milk for 'em too you know, and watch out you don't insult them accidentally or they'll start messing things up as much as friendly ones help.

Oh this thread is adorable. I want in!

Welcome Tomte

A small magical circle inscribed near any entry to a home, with small blessings and offerings for the feyfolken that will attract any nearby Tomte to the homestead. This is not a summoning spell, but any nearby Tomte will simply know a nearby caster has attempted to welcome them.

Components: small slices of leavened bread, a thimble of honey or jam, and the tiniest flagon you can find or craft filled with mead, wassail, or sweet red wine, all places within a magic circle inscribed with greeting runes. Some casters go to great lengths to set ornate meals on simple wooden dishes to appeal to the general tastes of the Tomte.

Tomte are small fey-folk not more than 8 inches tall with their hats on. They live in fireplaces and are generally friendly household guardians that assist in keeping an eye on children, warning the home of bad company, keeping fires roaring and spreading warmth through the home. They can also be mischievous blighters that pull pranks and other distinctly troublesome deeds if the fireplaces they call home aren't regularly swept and well-kept. They abjectly refuse any companionship to homes that offer dry wines, or contain marital strife or mistreated children, though they will usually wreck house if living in or catching wind of any nearby home where children are being actively mistreated.

Aren't gnomes the ultimate Mary Sue race?

Pester and Away

A charm both simple and strangely complex, this "accidental magic" is something that aware casters teach to their children, and may only be performed by children. Will-o-wisps and similar small spirits often urge children to run a little farther away, or jump from a limb too tall, or otherwise put themselves at risk but this drives the harmful spirits away as if the incantation were nails on a chalkboard.

Several children may perform this by linking hands and dancing in a circle while reciting or singing a humorous rhyme, but a single child may simply clap their hands or spin around. The rhyme must end with honest laughter and/or be accompanied by a small ringing silver bell to be effective but the words spoken are often irrelevant to the effect.

This may be performed by any child, male or female, until the first time they experience a monthly blood or nocturnal emission, at which point the charm has no effect. This charm has been adopted by many nonmagical families due to both any child being able to perform it, and giving them incentive to carry a bell which puts many parents at far greater ease when their child wanders. This has led to several areas where children all carry bells and, fortunately or not, some children in these areas may be teased by peers and adults if found without a bell.

Oh shit, I totally had that book growing up. That book was comfy as fuck.

Also
>Aren't gnomes the ultimate Mary Sue race?
Not exactly. Even gnomes can be totally flawed and you wouldn't send a Gnome to do an Orc's job. They're just tiny folk that are generally friendly and helpful if you're not a dick, and they have a few tricks up their sleeves but nothing world-ending.

Also Gnomes and Tomte aren't exactly the same thing, depending both on setting and IRL folklore.

Render Tallow

Most commonly used by cooks and chandlers, this spell withdraws and liquefies any nearby source of fat from the target and distills it into a purified liquid within a nearby container. This spell greatly reduces the time required for making candles, clarifying butter, collecting beef or bacon fat, or collecting oil from peanuts or similar plants.

Components: a small pile of twigs or tinder, or a flint and steel, plus a container for holding the rendered fat. A simple incantation along with the required materials will remove fat from the target in seconds, with a greater pull of fat the longer the caster continues the incantation until the target material is depleted.

Use of this spell on a living creature is seen as terribly vile, as it is immensely painful and leaves a burn covering the entirety of the living creature similar to a chemical burn from a heavy alkalide. Some very vain sorceresses use it to keep themselves slender at a heavy physical cost (and staying out of public eye for several days) while the most vile spellcasters see it as a means of torture. These uses are heavily looked down upon in civilised societies.

>Children's magic
That's actually a really neat idea.

Watch Companion

Components: Dried pine needles woven together with the caster's hair.

When the spell is cast, and the components thrown into a campfire, the flames will twist into a humanoid form bound to the source of the fire. This form can speak telepathically with the caster and up to two other people the caster chooses.
The form has limited knowledge of the caster's choice and can hold conversation ably, though it cannot know anything the caster does not. This form lasts until sunrise, at which point it reverts to a simple fire.

I'm glad you think so, but I can't claim it as original. All sorts of cultures have entire concepts centered around the magic of childhood alone, or what is 'virginal' or the strength and abilities of the spirit before the loss of innocence.

Even Unicorns were said to be something that can only be even touched by the heart of a child and only caught by a virgin maiden. However that works. But yeah, children have their own culture that is constantly shared and changing, they have rituals, protocol and priorities that are completely their own. Children have a magic that not only is entirely their own, but is something so profound that they often do it naturally and don't even know that they're doing it. Like, can you imagine the spells that can be centered around strictly just imaginary friends?

Shit, I think I'm letting my inner dad slip out.

But I remember even as a kid doing weird shit and/or thinking I was doing magic. I remember always having a friend that ran alongside the car I was riding in and jumping over obstacles, keeping pace with the car.

I remember pointing at each corner of a wall, pretending I could cut it out and blow it into the yard. I remember combining sand with water and dried leaves in a tin can, setting it on fire and holding it up to the air to see what would happen combining the 4 base elements. Surprise! Precisely nothing happened but the can warmed up while the leaves half-burned because I mixed it with fucking water. I wasn't the smartest kid. I remember seeing kids slapping hands together on the bus, ranting in rhythmic rhyme and incantation, inserting names of people they hated and cursing terrible fates on them. Kids try magic all the time.

I want more!

Bump for more - I would totally make a "comfy spellbook" for players

Sleeping Sand: sprinkle this over anyone's eyes to make them drowsy.

Components: fine sand. There isn't as much setup to this as for some other spells, but the chanting must be performed by a person who has not slept in 24 hours. The spell works better when performed during a new moon, and is almost completely ineffective if performed during a full moon. The more of the moon is visible, the less potent the effect.

Stately Threads: A cantrip any self-respecting court magician knows. The spell re-weaves one's own clothing in a flash, making one presentable for even the most lavish parties. Dropping syllables from the incantation at key points can reduce the apparent worth of the resulting cloth, and hedge mages often use it to mend their own clothing.

This spell is permanent when used on clothing one has worn for a week and a day. It will work on another's clothing, but the light of the moon at its peak will reverse the effects. Many a young person has sneaked into a highborn party after having a witch take pity on them.

Spell Components: A needle and thread, a full outfit to transform and a thought as to its final appearance.

It's said spellcasters under a magical fugue have been seen using this same spell to transform mundane objects into magical weapons, rodents into strong horses and produce into beautiful carriages, though these feats have never been reproduced by a fully conscious mage.

>Create Living Model

To perform this spell the caster places a small gem or glass orb filled with magic on the ground, then draws an outline of the desired real life structure around the gem/orb using dirt found at the location of the structure. A minute long chanting ritual draws magic out of the gem/orb and into the outline, raising it up to form a miniature copy of the structure. If strips of cloth from articles of clothing owned by residents or visitors is used to form the outline as well one can see a miniature version of that person walking around the area.

Often used to make toys for children of wealthy individuals.

>Minor Attraction

Touching their wand to a point on the target's body the caster says a magic phrase and slides a feather across the target's surface. For about 30 minutes the target will levitate and move towards the tip of the wand used to cast the spell. While this spell can be cast on any object under 25 lbs it is normally used by spellcasters in White Haven (on the South Eastern Nekotian coast) to manipulate the long slender kites popular during the Festival of Flowers.

Components: Wand, Feather from a regional bird (important, do not use feathers from a non regional bird), and the target for the spell

>Animate Scarecrow

created under the light of a fullmoon this Scarecrow will shake as if it was alive to scare away birds

>Illuminate area (butterfly)

Taking a burning branch in their right hand the caster begins to rub two butterfly wings in their left hand. As the magic takes effect the wings disintegrate and the burning branch will begin to burn at an extremely rapid rate. The sparks and flame coming off the branch will take the form of small butterflies made of fire, gently illuminating the area. The butterflies avoid setting anything on fire, winking out of existence after a time.

>Components

A burning branch, two butterfly wings from the same species

>Find Path

Claimed by some wizards to really be a druidic cantrip this spell guides the caster to a location within 50 miles that is above ground outside major cities. The caster places flower petals within a decorated urn or jar (no one knows why it doesnt work with unadorned objects) and says the magic phrase, finishing the spell by blowing across the opening of the object. For 5 hours flower petals will fly out of the urn/jar as if carried by a gentle breeze and fly in the direction of the desired location.

>Components

Decorated jar/urn, flower petals native to the region

>Lantern of Memory

A spell used by wizards specializing in investigation. Burning a page from a journal inside a lantern the caster utters a short incantation, in effect offering up the memories stored on the page to the spirits of fire. If they accept (it is rare to find a fire spirit not greedy for memories) the lantern shines light dimly in a 60 ft circle but illuminates spectral remains of individuals who have left strong emotional memories with spots in the vicinity. Can be used to track down the living, but also to get a sense of a dead person's intentions and character without going through the much harder spell of contacting the dead.

Because the component cost uses journal pages many wizards have begun carrying 3 page booklets to use as journals. No one knows why but 3 filled pages is the minimum required for any page in the booklet to be used as a component.

>Enlarge Book

For the spellcaster who can't see very well anymore. Taking the seed of a green bean and placing it in a patch of good soil the caster then places the book he wants to read over the planted seed. They then whisper a quick spell and can be about their business. Overnight the book will grow 1x itself for each bean planted in the soil. The spellcaster can then use the book, hopefully being able to more easily see the enlarged text.

Taught to a wizard by gnomes back in the days of the first king. However the gnomes warned the wizard that the book had to be filled for the spell to work. When he asked why he couldnt just cast the spell on an empty tome and save himself money on paper the gnomes replied that you can't grow out of nothing.

Too op

Essence of the beast: By ritually consuming an animal on an altar, one may gain a slight boost related to that beast for one hour. For instance, eating an ox may allow you to lift 20 more pounds than usual. The boosts do not stack, and only one boost is valid at any one time.

Hex of the Consumed: By smearing menstrual blood upon a lock of hair, you can apply a variety of curses upon the person who the hair belongs to, but double the curse is applied to you.

Clarity and Confusion: The user scatters small bits of rock unto bread and then consumes it. When the user next dreams, they will have a vision of the future, but the vision only has a 60% chance of being true. The Vision seen tends to be what the user wishes to know most, but not always. (Though it is always profound in some way.)

>By smearing menstrual blood upon a lock of hair

I think our definitions of comfy are different

>Comfy

Sorry, missed that. Just got the "Not too strong or overly useful" memo.

Drunkard's Tooth: A mage embeds a string through the tooth of a carnivorous animal. After putting it on (not necessarily as a necklace, but worn in some way) and reciting the incantation, for the next 24 hours, or until the item is taken off, the user is resistant to the intoxicating effects of alcohol, with the resistance being more potent the stronger the animal was.

Bear teeth commonly sell for high prices.

The spell is often used to fake drunkenness.

Tongueless letter: Write a sentence of series of sentences on a piece of paper as if they were mirrored. When you slip that piece of paper on to a person without them knowing, they will be unable to say those exact sentences. The spell wears off if the paper is no longer on the target or if the target realized the exact location of where the paper is on him, and who did it to him.

Animalistic Apathy: Draw in ink the image of your target animal unto the back of your hand whilst holding the fur of that animal in your other hand. Until the image wears away or becomes substantially warped, the exact species of the animal's fur will not regard you with hostility, unless you become hostile to them.

*or series

>Enchant farm tool

Created by a wizard trying to help a village repel goblin attacks this spell tuns the farm tools of the villagers into weapons of righteous might. Tools enchanted so do not gain any special ability to cleave flesh or armor, but always seem to land lucky blows against weak spots, or be in the right place to deflect a blow without breaking.

To perform the spell the caster draws a circle in the dirt and line it with ash. On each side of the circle facing a cardinal direction the villagers place the seeds of the produce they grow as well as pickled versions of the finished product. The caster will then chant for 5 minutes, waking up the spirits in the tools to a basic intelligence. The caster then begins to compliment the tools (speech check optional) on their hard work and how they have blessed the land with their strength. The caster details each finished good briefly, raising the spirits of the tools.

When he is done the tools glow briefly and upon picking one up the wielder can feel a sense of recognition, joy, and a determination to succeed.

Only works on tools that have seen a full year's work.

>Animalistic Apathy:
I like this one

>invisible spies that cannot interact with the world, effectively making it a scrying spell is OP

Does not compute.

>Fill Arcane Vessel

While enchanting theory has improved dramatically over the years the traditional method of arcane vessels still sees use. In fact some argue business has never been better. Enchanting via arcane vessels is the process of filling an object with a spirit and binding it with a contract to perform a specific task or tasks.

1. To begin the ritual the caster must cleanse and beautify the object to be enchanted. Spirits are vain creatures and will only respond to the spells that appeal to this vanity.

2. Having prepared the vessel the caster must draw a circle of runes around the object. Spirits are intrigued by written script, especially runes because of their ancient history. Taking into account the size of some modern arcane vessels this step may take quite some time.

3. The caster recites the spell from a tome. This step takes roughly about one hour. Many frustrated wizards and witches throughout the years have tried to find a way around this step but to no success. Spirits are fickle with long memories, and none will respond to anything less than what they think they deserve.

4. Having completed the spell a spirit will respond to the call. What kind of spirit that is called is determined by inserting specific words in the recitation. It is now time for the caster to bargain. In return for their services each spirit requires something unique. Sometimes it means cleaning the vessel daily, sometimes it means singing a specific song each night, or presenting a new riddle each week. Sometimes if the vessel is exceedingly awe inspiring the spirit will deem it enough.

5. If the terms are agreeable the spirit will inhabit the vessel and perform it's task.

I like the idea that low magic is more charm/component based,

>Umbral Flame

Take the feather of a raven and the feather of an owl, tie them together with thread and dip in tar under a full moon. With a word of power, the feathers with light and cast a grey light that can only be seen by the user

>BugBane

Magical bug repellant, doesn't work on arachnids.
components: a spider's web, laid out on a piece of paper and dusted with ceder ash. The larger and more intact the web, the stronger the spell. Can be folded and worn a person, or burned with chanting to protect a larger static location.

>linked
>not shared
disappoint.

That's op. You could easily mass produce items with that.

>A foot full of tacks is "No harm"

Motherfucker you ever had a tack in the middle of your foot? That ain't "No Harm".

Alright they fade away in 5 minutes

Part of the magic

ok help me flesh this out, but what about this:

a magical radio station that if you perform some kind of ritual and you're patient with the tuning wheel, you can tune in and hear the host deliver a veiled message for you; say your name and something that might or not help you; then, a creepy but related song.

Am I the only one bothered by the fact the healers eyes are open?

Drawing perspective is hard.

>Resist cold

A spell passed down among the mountain nation of Nekoti's southern hemisphere this spell imbues a blanket or quilt with the feeling of springtime or summer, allowing whomever is wrapped in it to resist the cold.

For this spell to work the caster must take a quilt or blanket embroidered or otherwise decorated with depictions of spring or summer vistas. Tracing these designs with their finger and rubbing a migratory bird's egg shell in their other hand the caster begins to chant a slow rhythmic spell.

Upon completion whoever is wrapped up in the blanket/quilt will find themsevles comfortably impervious to the cold, instead feeling pleasantly in summer or spring.

This is all me, just so Im aware.....is anyone else interested in this. I was expecting more posts desu

I have ideas but gotta get home first

Not in the position to post atm, but I love these OP. Comfy magic is best magic.

>Verminspeak
Be it Crows, Rats, or swarming insects, muttering this spell renders them loyal informants to you for 5 days and nights. The spell may be re-cast during this time for diminishing returns, that being the creatures becoming more and more forgetful, erratic, and distracted. -Optional Spell Reagent: A rats skull, with an offering of either a copper or silver coin, or a pece of cheese inside of it, as offering.

>Smoke Vessel
The use of this spell allows it's caster to create fantastically detailed objects or images through the puffing of pipe-smoke. Very small items, or spoken words may be stored inside and carried aloft to a chosen recipient inside the smoke. The smoke is more resilient to the breeze and winds then normal smoke, but forceful winds, stormy conditions, or a determined attacker can still easily disperse it. -Optional Spell Reagant: Nothing but the pipe weed or tobacco itself. The better the stuff, the better the results.

>Shadow Mischief
The caster whispers a harsh command to the shadows, and to the target the shadows around them lengthen, deepen, and flicker, proving to be incredibly distracting, if not concerning or outright scary. This spell works poorly on those with rigorously logical minds, or beings without concern. -Optional Spell Reagent: A pinch of pitch or piece of fresh (2-3 weeks old) Charcoal.

>Tampered Garment
The target is bothered, tripped up, or forced to readjust the straps, fittings, or lace of any worn garment, being plainsclothes or armor. The effect is purely in the mind, and has no bearing on the garments themselves. -Optional Spell Reagent: A frayed bootlace.

...maybe these are a bit too low-magic.

Okay, more minor items than spells but hopefully fitting

>Wax Coins
A protective charm created by children, wax coins are each effective against a single type of harmful magic. Created by pouring a bit of colored wax into a rough circle and "stamping" it with a thumb print, silverware, toy or other available object, these charms are often worn on a bit of string as a necklace or carried in a pocket. Depending on the color of the wax, a coin has a chance to absorb a single spell or magical effect directed at the wearer, causing it to suddenly melt away. While consistent within an area, what a given color protects against varies across different regions by what colors different cultures associate with different sorts of magic.

>Sugar Stars
Made of sugar mixed with water, fruit dye and faerie spit, each of these colorful treats causes unpredictable effects on the consumer. Essentially long lasting pranks, the changes last until the next full moon and range from strange hair colors to glowing footprints to bubbles from the ears or even looking like a different species.

I need to start pasting these into a document so that I can organize them by type and level.

There is no magic that is too low-magic to be comfy.

>Craft Cheese
This spell requires a gallon of fresh milk per pound of cheese to be created. By heating the milk and any desired seasonings together in an iron kettle and beginning a slow chant, the mage causes the fat and protein within to separate from the other liquids, congealing into curds. By continuing the chant the caster is able to form the curd into a ball or wheel as they concentrate on a final appearance and flavor. The longer the chant continues, the further the cheese will age, approximately one month per minute of chanting.

Cheese created by the spell is never quite as firm or flavorful as that made by mundane means, regardless of age, but is certainly good enough to do in a pinch.

Fruitful Miasma:
By ritually carving a target fruit and reciting the incantation, the target fruit decays over time, releasing its aroma in a large area over time.

The more elaborate the carving, the stronger and sweeter the scent, the longer it lasts, and in a larger area.

That's just wearing a blanket. You can also cast this spell by starting a fire and sitting close to it.

>>Angel summoner
AND BMX BANDIT

but what if its like......suuuuuuuper cold?

Probably not the right thread for this but:

I'm getting together a Witch Quest game and I feel like the system of "Roll and hope for doubles" is a bit too hard. Basically if you want to use your "Fly fast" attribute, and you just so happen to have only a 2 in that attribute, you only get to roll 2 times in order to get doubles and have a success at all

Anyone have a slightly more forgiving system? Doubles just kinda feels too hard

Should we archive this thread?
Some good shit in here.

I say let it continue a bit more first.

What would this be used for?

I think the assumption is this is meant for way below freezing environments where people dont have the proper equipment.

>What would this be used for?

It's like a magical air freshener.

Light of Clear Heart:

The user must merely put the thorax of a firefly into a bottle of purified water. After reciting the incantation, the light will glow, with the light being brighter the more nervous those near it are.

Commonly used by detectives, those who wish to assess which romantic targets are easiest, and it is also sometimes used as a blinding weapon by the especially nervous.

Heat Cubes:
Take any cube-shaped object and sprinkle a pinch of powdered brimstone onto it. Place the cube in any liquid and speak the desired temperature, up to 200 degrees or as low as 33 degrees. The liquid will maintain that temperature for up to four hours, including any new liquid added to the container.
For milder aftertaste, one can substitute the brimstone with saltpeter.

>Cardinal Jean Paulet's Godhand
A series of gestures and phrases that magically cleans and moisturizes the skin on the caster's hands, keeping them fresh. Also prevents rashes from wearing gloves.

>Wavelength Perception Shift
Causes a person's eyes to perceive different wavelengths than the normal visual band for a short time. Only affects the cones of the eyes and not the rods. The caster can shift the visual band up or down when cast, but it cannot go beyond radio waves or x-rays. Shifting a person's sight to a wavelength range not present would cause them to experience complete color blindness, but shifting it slightly may cause them to see colors they've never been able to ever perceive before.

>Dampen Senses
Dampens select senses of the caster, lasting until they have sleep for at least four hours. The caster can choose which senses to dampen, and may dampen more than one if preferred. A favorite of wizards with loud neighbors at night, or lots of lights in their neighborhood.

I am indeed very interested in stealing your ideas.

Is anyone making a pdf or google docs out of this? I want to read it when you're done.