October's UA postponed until the 9th

>Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/
We discover that it is easier for a man to become a dragon than it is for a man to become a woman.

Thread Question: If you are DM, what ridiculous weapons have your players tried to run by you? If you are a player, have you or another player suggested a weapon that in retrospect was ridiculous and/or blatantly unbalanced?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5Zy6B6SnoY0
youtube.com/watch?v=zxWnnE3PzrE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Question
Don't think I ever seriously suggested it, but came up with a simple gun (or multiple guns) placed on a spear, all fired by stabbing someone.

>Thread Question
These items are as ridiculous as I can possibly get without going to some crazy extremes.

Thanks, anons. Didn't realize how fragile PCs are compared to monsters.

Stop linking your shitty home brew every thread

Continue linking your shitty home brew every thread

So a new question for making NPCs similar to PCs/abilities:would pruning the noncombat/useless abilities and doubling their HP do the trick? I would use straight dice instead of the "you get max at first level" stuff.

Like a bangstick, those things they use underwater where you have to directly poke the shark to trigger it.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

I'm doing some random tables, which kind of adventures should I add to it?

So far I have "kill some dangerous creature" and "investigate missing children".

kill missing children

I like PC abilities better than monster ones a lot of the time, and my campaign has a lot of humanoid enemies. The Volo's and MM stat blocks have a few, but for the most part they're pretty ehh.

>what ridiculous weapons have your players tried to run by you?
Not exactly ridiculous, but one player wanted to have a repeating crossbow and I know it was just so he could have 5 attacks at low levels.

I don't think this has been shown here for over a few months, but thanks for remembering that it exists.

>steal crown gold
>catch the crown gold thieves
>kill the murderhobo

Congrats for spinning "fuck off" into a positive thing.

How good is the Paladin/warlock multi class? Is it actually strong, or is this a meme?

If you want to make an NPC similar to a PC, then you take an NPC category that's similar to the class of the PC (Thief for a Rogue, Scout for a Ranger, idk, the shit they have at the back of the Monster Manual) and add one or two features you see that seem correct to use. Maybe a Favoured Enemy or Sneak Attack, even Action Surge to cement martial prowess. Leave the HP alone.

Give him a repeating crossbow that shoots 10 shots a round like a real chu-ko-nu, but only let it deal 1 damage that can't be increased and doesn't use the ability modifier. He'll get tired of rolling 10 dice every round soon enough.

Depends on how often your DM let's you short rest and the spread you do. Having a couple extra smites just for sitting with your thumb up your arse for an hour can come in handy.

I like that they put forth an effort to respond to the material. Which is nice of them.

I asked for this. The DM let me have it since I asked that it provide no mechanical advantage. I just used it in conjunction with crossbow expert to have a dual wielding hand crossbow fighter. He also was a loose cannon city watch on the edge of control.

Was mostly trying to think of a neat way to do a paladin, and figured mixing Warlock stuff with Paladin things would go well, so I was curious as to how well the short rest smites actually help.

DMing Homebrew heavy Warhammer fantasy have with 5e
Rate the party:
Nurgle Eldritch Knight
Khorne Centigor champion fighter
Dark elf Corsair battle master
Dark elf assassin rogue
Skaven gunslinger

Unlikely allies, United (barely) to search for warpstone and avoid a witch Hunter who's tracking them

ok

How do I Homebrew a repeater crossbow that's actually balanced
Double the number of attacks you can take but all are disadvantage?

I'm going to be in an impromptu island/pirate/shipwrecked campaign tomorrow, and I need ideas for a character concept. Help please.

It's pretty nice to have them, and the levels in warlock can also offer a bit of extra utility in cases where you don't need to smite something that day.

Play as a Rogue or a Fighter. Real dashing swashbuckler type. Try and pick up some good tool proficiencies if you can.

Adds a bit more smiting in, gives you a ranged option, gives you some more offensive spell options. It's pretty good.

Not as strong as Paladin/Sorcerer. Doesn't give quite as many options as Paladin/Bard. But it's good.

It's very hard because multihit is very easy to abuse (hex and hunter's mark both scale ridiculously with it). Unless you can find a good reason other than explicitly "all bolts count as a single attack" it's going to be hard to balance it.

What makes Paladin/Sorcerer so strong?

Why are spears shit compared to glaives and halberds? Simply because they don't have a slashing part? Honestly the pointy end is what you would use the most on any polearm.

>revised ranger ua update next week

why, the current one already works so well. fucking lazy mearls

Because they're a simple weapon, but there should really be a martial spear that isn't quite a pike.

Something like a longspear, or a boar spear. 1d8/10p and reach, but no heavy or thrown properties.

I think I'd like them better if they were less tailor-made for certain classes.

Sorcery points that you can just convert to more spell slots for more smiting. Also metamagic.

A wedding guest who curses the ship he's journeying on with his reckless disregard for nature

Pikes are what you're thinking of. The simple Spear entry is for more throwing or hunting spears, rather than something really big designed for warfare.

I do wish there was a martial longspear option that could be used alongside a shield, although it would probably need to do d6 damage to be balanced that way.

This is your PAM + Sentinel build in action:
youtube.com/watch?v=5Zy6B6SnoY0

Unlike the other two combos, though, the Palock has top flavor as long as you align your patron and oath around similar things; Fey/Ancients for example. You become a knight with not only a code of conduct, but a lord to serve.

>Investigate dangerous children

Why not just be a d8/10? There's no piercing versatile weapon like the longsword/warhammer/battleaxe at the moment.

local butcher must love these guys

>that fruit spearing in the air

Does metamatic do anything for a pal/sor that a regular sorcerer doesn't already have?

Treachery/Fiend is a decent combo too.

Revised Ranger needs an update at some point. Is it really going to be the next UA though?

Because then it would be a much better option if it also had reach upon it. I was thinking something more in line with a whip in regards to function

>He's chewing as some of the shots start in that section
>MFW he was eating that shit in between takes

I love that you see him clearly chowing down on the apple when he's stabbing the orange.

>Is it really going to be the next UA though?
No, probably not. Revised is likely going to get a gussied up document and get released on DMs Guild or something.

New GM here
Players start at level 1
Variant or regular human?

Quicken a spell and attack to deal real damage. Quicken hold person+auto-crits memery.

Here's some more sweet sweet PAM action.

youtube.com/watch?v=zxWnnE3PzrE

6 of them (the staff included) do have class restrictions the other 9 do not though.

Just make it act like a normal crossbow that has to be reloaded after X shots as opposed to one.

>Wasting fruit and pig carcasses just because you hacked them up with a halberd

I asked for a lance that has a chain on it that can be used, for a bonus action, to pull the actual tips back into place to become a longsword. Picture a longsword with the sides being iron sword, and the middle being a lance base, with the top being iron that hides the telescoping lance length and can be lengthened out, which would put the two iron bits together into a lance tip.

I would think a trick weapon like that is a bit OP in terms of versatility but at the same time my companions are one-handing greataxes because "muh Goliath strength" and summoning infinitely respawning demons with a flute, so this seems fine.

>coldsteel

>Investigate missing creature

>Khorne Centigor champion fighter

They don't run away. They ass fuck whoever is following them or die trying. Still, it's your game so who gives a shit?

Trying to add some variety by adding Goliath subraces for other types of Giants
So far I've got this:
>Stone Giant= Vanilla Goliath
>Frost Giant= 1/rest as an action gain immunity to cold damage for 1d12+con minutes
>Fire Giant= 1/rest as a bonus action add 1d12+con fire damage to your next melee weapon attack
Having trouble coming up with traits centered around the d12 for Storm and Hill giants, any suggestions?

Not him, but I've actually done that one before. A wizard made a pact with a malevolent, spider-themed fey lord who was replacing children with shapechanged Aranea.

The foul plan began to fall apart when one died due to a freak accident while hunting with 'his' father--a *massive* sheet of slate fell off the mountainside and as it smashed into the rocks below it sent chunks of it rocketing through the woods, one fist-sized chunk catching the not-child in the side of the head. Turned back into its spider form as it died in the man's arms after he ran into town screaming for help, just as the paladin begin pushing their way to him through the crowd.

Hill Giant should have something involving eating.

Is this weapon balanced /5eg/?

Spiked Chain
2d4 piercing damage
Heavy, Reach, Two-Handed, Finesse, Special
Special: when you try to shove an enemy with this weapon the target has disadvantage on his check

>Storm Giant= 1/rest as a bonus action add 1d12+con electrical damage to your next thrown weapon attack
>Hill Giant= Fucking nothing because hill giants suck

Storm could be a temporary flying leap for 1d12 x 5 feet or the like.

Hill might work for 1d12 + con temporary hitpoints

>Two-Handed, Finesse

Into the trash it goes.

I understand the Errata for an unarmed strike. I just want to know if you can still add your proficiency bonus when you roll to hit with an unarmed strike? Is that still a thing or are you just making a normal
attack Roll by just adding your strength modifier?

You're proficient with unarmed strikes

Everyone is proficient with their unarmed strikes. Attack rolls with them are d20 + proficiency bonus + strength modifier, damage is 1 + strength modifier.

>Heavy
>Finesse
These two do not and are probably not supposed to come as a set.

I was thinking maybe do retard strength for Hill Giant, like as a reaction to making an attack roll you can add 1d12+con once per rest.
Also the whole "acclimated to cold climates" thing is garbage, since it basically means nothing mechanically

What about longbows?

What reason would a mages guild establish a college on an off shore island?

Ranged =/= Finesse. Just like how a monk's unarmed strike isn't finesse just because it can use str or dex.

Are longbows a finesse weapon?

The damage is a little high. 2d4 is (just a bit) stronger than 1d8. I'd go with 1d6.

I think it works alright in this case. It's less that it's literally Heavy and more that it's too cumbersome to properly use for Small creatures.
It'd probably make more sense to just fold that into its Special property.

Research University. There is an artifact or a certain resource there worth studying or harvesting, whether it be local wildlife, a ruin, or a type of plant. It also could be used to train mages for a certain environment, if the dungeon has already been emptied of its most dangerous occupants.

Fucken secrets my dude

>Rare plant on the island requires magical study
>Rare animal on the island requires magical study
>Rare mineral on the island requires magical study
>Massive tax writeoff for the guild
>Guildmaster wants a fucking beach party

I'm confused as to why a melee weapon being dex to hit and heavy is unacceptable but a ranged weapon can be? Defensive duelist?

>I think it works alright in this case.
As weird as the stats work, I agree that it sorta works. But I'm not sure where shoving is coming from? Shouldn't it be tripping?

>As weird as the stats work
>As weird as the stats look
My mind is a slippery mess.

I personally would separate it into two weapons:

Weighted Chain/Kusarigama
1d6 piercing damage
Reach, Two-handed, Finesse, special

Spiked Chain/Meteor Hammer
2d4 piercing damage
Heavy, Reach, Two-handed, Special

The weighted chain wouldn't be a straight upgrade to the whip because it's two-handed, and the spiked chain would still do less damage than the heavy reach two-handed polearms while still having its special snowflake property and slightly more reliable damage.

Shoving is how you trip user

>mfw user out-autisms trolls with positivity
>"t...thanks"

Do you guys find that your groups and parties tend to default to the assumed baseline of "wandering band of sellsword mercenaries" as the go-to high concept of your games, or do your campaigns focus on being something other than "adventurers"?

>Also the whole "acclimated to cold climates" thing is garbage, since it basically means nothing mechanically
It means you don't need to make Con saves to avoid exhaustion in extreme cold. If you never use that in your games, sure, it means nothing. But I've never had a Dwarf's Stonecunning come up either.

Thank you. Now to get drunk enough that I hopefully stop posting entirely.

So, does a character that starts as essentially a prisoner and heavily mistrusted by the party actually seem fun to play? Or is that my fetish speaking?

Halloween is the perfect time of year for Witcher Contracts. Leshens and friends have plenty of spook potential.

What's your preferred way to play Eldritch Knight: S&S, great weapon, polearm? I'm looking to build one but I'm not sure where to take it.

A longbow is a large, heavy, bulky weapon to handle, but ultimately its size does not figure at all in its ability to do damage; smaller asian composite bows can achieve similar draw weights while not being heavy, and are likely excluded for balance reasons. Ultimately the main factor in using all bows in an individual combat context is how accurately you can place your shot. That's why ranged (dex/str) is the default for ranged weapons, and Thrown (str) is the extra property.

A heavy melee weapon's weight is integral to how it's used and does damage, because you will actively and regularly be swinging it around. Unlike a longbow, whose power is drawn from the elasticity of the bow, the power of a melee weapon is on how you swing it, and the larger weapon, the larger inherent strength is required to use it for leverage. That's why for melee weapons strength is the base factor, and finesse (dex/str) is the extra property for particularly light or specialized weapons.

>So, does a character that starts as essentially a prisoner and heavily mistrusted by the party actually seem fun to play?
It could work, with the right party.
>Or is that my fetish speaking?
Almost certainly but that shouldn't stop you, assuming you don't make it weird.

Hey. Me again.

My DM is currently asleep, but would you guys personally allow a Great Old One Warlock who used to be a Human fisherman, but was transformed into a Triton through overexposure to her patron and is trying to find a way to break the connection between her and the G.O.O. and transform back?

Seems fine. It doesn't require any rules to be bent and is purely story, and doesn't seem particularly magical realmy.

So basically in terms of game mechanics it doesn't break anything, it's mostly a flavor fail

Is the Tortle package in the trove? I can't seem to find it.